User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What would you do?

We currently have 9 trucks that are leased to Fedex Ground. We have some dedicated runs and some extra board tractors that get dispatched on an available freight and truck points basis the trucks are fine where they are and want to keep them there. We are looking at buying some new trucks and replacing the older FedEx trucks with the new ones. We are wanting to take the older ones (oldest one is 2005 western star) and do something else with them. I have been trying to do research and try to get together a game plan on what to do with them. I would prefer to run them refeer because I can float the existing drivers back and forth if need be. I can't seem to find any companies that will let me run the trucks how I want to and for a decent rate. That is one reason I am weighing in flatbed too. FedEx allows us to accept loads or turn them down and kind of dictate where we want to go with no backlash whatsoever and that is what I want along with a decent rate. Is it worth it to get your own authority and do it or are there refeer companies out there that will pay percentage and let you dispatch your own trucks and not leave it up to your drivers or penalize you for turning down a crap load.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Senior Board Member

if you have the time to do the dispatching why not get your own MC #'s?
Old 12-10-2012, 12:49 AM
Senior Board Member

I'm stuck at 9 trucks and no authority. Whoa, there's a whole 'nother way to skin the income cat isn't there? I applaud you!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
if you have the time to do the dispatching why not get your own MC #'s?
I have the time to do the dispatching it's the paperwork that I don't know if I have time for. I do the maintenance on the trucks, dispatching the trucks, payroll for 18 full time drivers and 5 part time drivers, pay the different bills for the trucks and everything else that comes along with operating trucks plus I drive some still also. So my plate is pretty full.

I was thinking about testing the waters in flatbed and in refeer. We have 2 trucks that we need replace this year. They are not bad trucks just getting too many miles for team runs but will do well solo. We don't want to trade them in or sell them as they are paid for and have the money for a decent down payment and the money for financing new trucks. So I figured take those trucks and do something else with them to make money.

What I was thinking was to take 2 trucks lease one flatbed one refeer learn the system for both and decide which one we want to go for on profits between the two and then get our own authority. My projections is in 5 years we will have a minimum of 18 trucks and by then will want to be under our own authority. I want to learn the hot spots for loads where to go and where not to go before we do that as I've been at FedEx for 10 years and know things have changed as far as other freight goes.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDriver View Post
I'm stuck at 9 trucks and no authority. Whoa, there's a whole 'nother way to skin the income cat isn't there? I applaud you!

We could lease more trucks to FedEx but have a few reasons we don't want to.

One is economically it doesn't make sense to do it with the way they operate until we get more dedicated runs. Yes it will add revenue to the new truck added on but it will take away from revenue from one of the other extra board trucks. So basically we will not be profiting off adding a new truck to them right now unless we buy out another contractor that has dedicated runs.

Two is we don't want all the eggs in one basket. We have all seen these companies fold without any notice and really don't want to be caught with our pants down with that many trucks not running while the trucks and drivers are waiting to get approved by another company.

Three is the plan for the company is to have its own authority sooner or later and build it as the budget allows.

We really don't have that many trucks compared to some FedEx contractors there are contractors with 20+ trucks they have leased on to them but they have been there since it was RPS in the 80's.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Perhaps you should hire someone to do the paperwork and dispatch your trucks. It would free you up so that you could do other things and you could get your authority and have the opportunity to earn more money. Pulling flats will usually require that you either buy your own trailer or rent one, plus buy about $2,500 of securement equipment and tarps. Some reefer companies may also require you to have your own trailers. Those can be really pricey.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Senior Board Member

most brokers make it super easy. it takes me a total of 10 min to do billing for my customers/brokers etc. the program quickbooks is super simple. you put all the broker info in once, and its there. just fill in the load# too and from how much print and fax along iwth bills. nice thing is with most brokers you get quick pay. normally 2-7 days you get paid and most brokers dont take more then 3%
Old 12-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Senior Board Member

You usually have a lot of waiting time with reefers.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Senior Board Member

[QUOTE=GMAN;520663]Perhaps you should hire someone to do the paperwork and dispatch your trucks.QUOTE]

Welcome to SummersAgency.com! will do it all and factor all you loads with no recourse.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:29 AM
Rookie

Where's the "Like" button? GMAN's answer wins the day for me!