User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default need help please

Heres the story my dad and i want to buy a truck, put a driver in it and let the driver train me to drive then we will drive team ( i already have my class B) all i really need is about a week and a half in the seat and then i should be ready for my test. I have been driving dump trucks for years but every company that had a semi never had time to teach me....

The driver is a really good family friend that has been driving trucks for 15 plus years, clean record, no tickets, perfect DAC....Is there a company that will let us lease a truck on and him train me to drive ?? he has been a trainer many times in the past if that helps....Is this possible with a lease or is it only possible with getting your own authority ?? I see no difference in him training me versus a "company" trainer teaching me ??? Thanks for any help in advance and please no replys about how much money we have....we have done the research and are good in the money department, thanks
Old 10-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner 0525 View Post
I see no difference in him training me versus a "company" trainer teaching me ??? Thanks
Of course you don't, you're not the one with ALL the liability!

Put yourself in the carriers shoes, some unknown entity walk in your door and makes this proposal to you. What's the BIG advantage to the carrier to allow this to happen that will offset all of their potential liability?
Old 10-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Rookie

I don't think any company would lease you on without a license. If you're the one with the money and you really trust this family friend you could always let him lease on being that he's the one with the experience. just try to find a way to protect yourself and your investment in him and the truck, no matter how close of a family friend he is. Or you could always just save up about 10k and get a pretty damn nice truck off truckpaper. Thats what I did. I paid about 14k I think on an 04 Volvo 630 and it's been a great running truck so far. Had to put a little work into it for it to pass inspection but thats to be expected. If he leased on then you can find companies that will pay for plates and such but if I were you I would just get my own authority and then try to finance a cheap used truck or buy one outright. Just make sure you don't deal with American Truck Group or ANYONE affiliated with them. I think they changed their name recently and they make their money from preying upon people like you just trying to get started the cheapest way possible.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most carriers will want anywhere from 6 months to 2 years experience before leasing you onto their authority. You could go to work for one of the major carriers for a year or two and get your experience or just get your authority and pay your own insurance. Once you run your authority for a year or two you could then lease onto a carrier if you want to no longer run your authority. The only insurance company that I am aware of that will insure an inexperienced driver with their own authority is Progressive. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Senior Board Member

There are a few carriers out there that have a "Train your partner" program. I'm pretty sure CRST is one of them and maybe Central Refrigerated, but I don't recall the others. However, you would have to have your Class A license first and your driver has to meet their lease-on requirements; though these type of companies usually aren't to stringent. If he has recent experience that probably covers the biggest hurdle.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:35 AM
Rookie

thanks for the help i guess i will have to get my license first then maybe the no experience thing wont be a huge deal as long as we drive team or something, i was actually thinking about getting my authority to run containers out of the local port pay is decent