User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default O/O need your help

I'am looking to buy a truck (paid in full) and would like to know what all would I need to do to lease on to a company. But the catch is I work offshore 14 days on and 14 off and on my off days I would like to make a little money by hauling loads. I want to know if any company out there that would work with me in that I wouldn't be dedicated to it like a full time job it will be a few loads a month, also what necessary out of pocket cost would I have out of pocket for myself such as : Bobtail insurance, base plates, and fuel. What can I do to make this work and what will I need?
Old 02-04-2012, 04:27 PM

Just drive for someone. You don't make money with a truck sitting still 1/2 the month.

Ontario, Canada
Old 02-05-2012, 12:20 AM
Rookie

Thanks LBF, but I already have a good job working with shell in the Gulf of Mexico with great pay and benefits for my family. I really wanted to get into trucking cause it was always a childhood dream of minds and this is the only way that I would be able to fulfill it. I would only leave this job if I knew that I could Net not gross 100,000.00 a year otherwise I would be taking a loss. I just wanted to see if I could get into it this way and make a little profit doing something I've always wanted to do. Would love for you guys to keep giving me take on my situation. Thanks in advance
Old 02-05-2012, 01:38 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most carriers will want you to be working full time in order to lease on with them. Most will require from 6 months to 2 years driving experience before leasing you onto their authority. Do you already have your CDL? If not, then you will likely need to leave your position and go trucking full time for most carriers to be willing to hire you. Your other alternative is to get your own authority. If you already have recent driving experience you could possibly lease on to one of the agent based carriers such as Landstar, Mason Dixon or Universal Am Can or CRST Malone. They all pay percentage and will usually not pressure you to run. But, all will require recent otr driving experience. Running your own authority will be more expensive for you, but may by your best alternative if you only want to work a couple of weeks at a time. Insurance is usually more expensive starting out. I think that if you want to lease to a carrier, you will find most won't be receptive when you tell them that you only want to run part time. Adding insurance, drug consortium and pre employment testing, orientation, etc., are all expensive to the carrier. If you can find a carrier who will lease you on they will want you to have bobtail or unladen liability. If you run your own authority, you won't need the bobtail or unladen liability. You will need workers comp or an accidental occupational disability, whether you lease to a carrier or run your own authority. You will also need to have an annual inspection on your truck, pay a 2290, get your cab card and permits. Some carriers will advance the funds for the cab card (base plate) and take a certain amount out of each settlement check until the entire amount is paid. Most will add some to the cost for their fee to finance your base plate. Nearly all carriers require owner operators to put up a cash performance bond. They usually take money from each settlement. When you first start with a carrier you will find a number of deductions. Working part time you won't likely see much profit. One other thing you could try is to check with some local carriers. They might have some short runs you could do part time.

To tell you the truth, I don't think that it isn't fair to the carrier or yourself to lease on, have them pay for all the fees, baseplates, drug screens, etc., and not give them 100%, providing you can find one that will lease you on knowing what you plan.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:58 AM

Hey Eugene,

I left you a message on your wall in regards to this, hope to hear from you,
Old 02-05-2012, 03:22 AM
Rookie

Thanks guys and I guess I could've gave a little more info about me. I do have a CDL class A with no driving experience, I live in Houston, Tx 26 yrs of age and married with 3 kids. I didn't go to any driving schools I just went to the DMV took the written test and road test and passed with flying colors. Could you tell me if I could make over 100,000.00 per year net on a consistent basis and I do realize the economy would affect that also prices of fuel and maintanace on the truck. I was thinking that it would be better to get my own authority and run myself but with no experience the insurance premium would be outragous let along all the other expenences involved in owning and truck and trailer. I definitly would buy my truck and trailer cash so that I wouldn't have a truck and trailer note. Can you also tell me if all this is possible what type of freight is it best to get into nowdays out of Texas? Thanks in Advance
Old 02-05-2012, 03:42 AM
Senior Board Member

No way in hell you could make a 100 grand net on a consistent bases, nobody will lease you or even give you the driving job, well somebody probably will, but i'd not recommend to work for them, so enjoy your fortune, and buy yourself a RV. Sorry to disappoint you, but that's a bitter truth. Of course you still can pursue your childhood dreams, but at a great loss to you, and your family for at least a number of years.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Ah, yes… once again the age-old question about how to become a millionaire through trucking…
The answer, eugeneemery, and this is no bull, is to start with two million.

Even with today’s crappy economy, it is possible to make very good money in this business, but it isn’t easy and only a very select few are fortunate enough to do so. It’s like Amway or Mary Kay or Avon in that for the few people with the right skillset, it can be very profitable, but for most it’s just a waste of time, effort and money.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379 View Post
No way in hell you could make a 100 grand net.....
Maybe moving super loads. I'm not even sure they make that much.

Maybe you should look at getting your own authority. You might be able to get insurance for a limited radius of a few hundred miles. Maybe look into that. Someone on this board should be able to help with the name of an insurance company that offers that type of insurance. When you find out what your radius is, you may discover that you can't leave Texas. This means you are an intrastate carrier and probably won`t require IFTA or an MC license (number). I have to believe there is local oil field work in Texas somewhere.

You could also contact some of the driver contracting companies. They might know of a company that requires a shunt driver or a local day cab guy part time. Anything to get started.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Senior Board Member

start a 2-3 truck flatbed operation out of Houston. Pipe in and around Houston will keep you in business. Have the wife or an older kid run the show when you are out on the rig. We all have learned this business by doing it daily, not by blogging about it (blogging helps). Use your job to help get the business on its feet and within 90-180 days (if you run it correctly) the business will be self sufficient.