User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 10:42 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default independant contractor

I'm wondering how many drivers latch on to a carrier. And I'm also wondering how drivers how drivers make it on .87 -1.25 is there a formulation I'm missing take it for granted theydo take care some of the perks like plates tags insurance permits
Old 01-14-2012, 12:57 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Some of them must be getting one heck of a fsc. The reason so many of those carriers pay base plates and permits. Most receive a significant fuel discount or can purchase fuel at company terminals at a large savings. Even with some of the so called freebie's and fuel discounts, I don't see how some of them are making it. Many don't.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Board Regular

highest fsc i was offered was .37 on the dollar. yea they did tel me they would pay base plates some of the insurance bill permits and give me an fsc ( wich varies ) from company to company some do give great discounts on tires and parts or a free truck wash but like you said at there terminals. i just don't see it working!
Old 01-18-2012, 02:15 PM

It hard.. i'm leased to a company now and I do ok, compared to where I was with another company. I can at-least see some money for the runs I do, But I have to run.. This business is in the tanks. No man or woman should have to work this hard just to get by. breakdown and forget about any pay for that week. It tuff, I have 5 months left on the truck I'm currently in and I want out after it paid off. Tired of the same old story every where. Actually I would love to go Indy, but all the stories of broker mis-mangement and thieves. I think I will probably just hang it up, then again talk to me in a couple months, might change my mind who knows..
I would rather run my own plates and you pay me for it, just take care of the cargo insurance and the permits and Im ok. But as always there is something behind all the perks.. fuel surcharge here fluctuates weekly, i've seen .32 all the way up to .42. they are keeping some because they pay for reefer fuel.. all in all Im doing way better than I was with that other company out of AR. they suck big time
Old 01-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Senior Board Member

It's all depends, some could do better on their own, some shouldn't be O/O at all. And i don't know guys, but lately my FSC , depending on a customer, was between $0.52-$0.58. 30-40CPM not even close....
Old 01-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
But as always there is something behind all the perks..
The company NEVER does anything that doesn't benefit them FIRST.............and you maybe a little
Old 01-18-2012, 10:42 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobytob View Post
It hard.. i'm leased to a company now and I do ok, compared to where I was with another company. I can at-least see some money for the runs I do, But I have to run.. This business is in the tanks. No man or woman should have to work this hard just to get by. breakdown and forget about any pay for that week. It tuff, I have 5 months left on the truck I'm currently in and I want out after it paid off. Tired of the same old story every where. Actually I would love to go Indy, but all the stories of broker mis-mangement and thieves. I think I will probably just hang it up, then again talk to me in a couple months, might change my mind who knows..
I would rather run my own plates and you pay me for it, just take care of the cargo insurance and the permits and Im ok. But as always there is something behind all the perks.. fuel surcharge here fluctuates weekly, i've seen .32 all the way up to .42. they are keeping some because they pay for reefer fuel.. all in all Im doing way better than I was with that other company out of AR. they suck big time
yea i can't imagine how hard it is trying to make a living leased to a company. the most i seen was a 1.50 a mile with in the first 400 miles all the way down to 89 cents a mile over 400 miles. i run like hell when i hear i can lease the truck. hopefully this new company works out for you!! your right no independant contractor i'll say should be a company slave paying there bills working for peanuts after all your working for a wage nor charity.have you thought about brokering your own loads and having customers calling you and avoiding all the brokers? yes brokers are thieves some pay some don't some take there sweet time of paying to. i can't blame you for wanting out after the truck is paid off. i would rather run under my own athourity own plates insurance everything you'll probily be better off. iv'e seen fsc from .42 all the way upto .56.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
yea i can't imagine how hard it is trying to make a living leased to a company. the most i seen was a 1.50 a mile with in the first 400 miles all the way down to 89 cents a mile over 400 miles. i run like hell when i hear i can lease the truck. hopefully this new company works out for you!! your right no independant contractor i'll say should be a company slave paying there bills working for peanuts after all your working for a wage nor charity.have you thought about brokering your own loads and having customers calling you and avoiding all the brokers? yes brokers are thieves some pay some don't some take there sweet time of paying to. i can't blame you for wanting out after the truck is paid off. i would rather run under my own athourity own plates insurance everything you'll probily be better off. iv'e seen fsc from .42 all the way upto .56.
Yes, Im pondering running my own authority.. But right now i'm trying to climb out of the hole. The other company I was with had me so far in debt that I had to live off cash advances for the week. Funny thing is i knew this was a bad decision when i saw my first check with them but I had not choice but to stick it out for a few years. Hey but I made it thru 2.5 years with them. walked away last year and now i'm doing better. Some time in march I should be able to step away from this current company and try my own authority. I have a cousin who running his, but he lacks the desire to work. I have no problem working just the money these people are paying. I may rent his flatbed and try a few loads there or step off and get a reefer. Either way something will happen..
AS for FSC. yeah i know they are screwing me, but they pay for reefer fuel and told us up front they are keeping some of it, I have to respect that. They didn't lie to me and i appreciate that. all in all I stay busy with the lanes i like to run and go home when i need to.. If my truck continues to hold up, I think I will be ok.
I know a few brokers in the business right now and they all telling me the money is out there you just have to go get it. I keep in contact with a few account managers as well, who tell me they can get me loaded any time. But i'm sure this is just the normal BS all IC hear. Either way im always willing to give things a try. So we shall see a few months from now..
Old 01-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Senior Board Member

money is def. there. aparently jan, and feb are the 2 worst months (figures.. when i get all my stuff ready to go..). i personally always stay in touch with people and it seems to have worked out. i have more work then i know what to do with. best part is.. direct no broker. my father and i are taking care of what we can. if things go right i'll have 3 trailers and 2 trucks by the end of the year.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
The company NEVER does anything that doesn't benefit them FIRST.............and you maybe a little
thats what i learned real fast some make it seem as there doing you a favor