User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default carrier comfortpro?

most likely i'm going to be getting a comfortpro.. anyone have any experence with it? its about 1800 cheaper then a tripak
Old 12-08-2011, 03:20 AM
Senior Board Member

complete garbage. From what I heard they stopped making them. I know the Carrier dealer I got them from refuses to sell them. I had one and it didn't work and my friend had like 11 and they are just boat anchors. I have a Tripak too, much better.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:52 AM
Senior Board Member

hmm.. i wonder if something changed, when i spoke to the salesman he said they're were sold out and was waiting for carrier to ship new ones. also seeing a lot of fleets using them now.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:23 AM

Mine is finally working good, after 2 years of constantly taking it back to Carrier. I think they replaced every computer board on it. Glad it was on warranty.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Senior Board Member

barf what problems did you have with it?
Old 12-10-2011, 01:26 AM
Senior Board Member

A buddy of mine has a tri-pak, he has 14,000 hours on it, been on the truck since 2007, a few minor problems and thats all.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:05 AM
Senior Board Member

i like the tripak.. but their prices keep going up and up. on paper the rigmaster is the strongest one. next the tripak then the carrier.

the rigmaster i just wont do.

i spoke to the local thermoking dealer. he actually told me to look in to the carrier unit. he said its second best out there and the suport group is out there being 90% of the TK dealers will work on carrier. i'd like to set an apointment up soon so i want to cover all my bases.

i found a tripak dealer that'll install it for $10800 and a carrier dealer that'll do it for $9080.

so far what i DONT like about the carrier is the electric heat and the generator.. both seems like they could be a problem down the road.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
barf what problems did you have with it?
I've owned it for 3 years now, can't complain at all about the last year. But the first two years it was completely unreliable. It would stop running for no reason, I would kick it and then it would work again. I discovered on my own that one internal plug was burned badly. This was after taking it back a few times. Since then it became unreliable again and more parts were replaced. The cab control box was replaced once, the circuit board by the engine was replaced, and I think the controller board under the sleeper was replaced. The water pump was replaced and the engine fan surround cracked and was welded.

Once in a while I would leave my truck at the local truck stop overnight and go home if I was just passing through Winnipeg, but couldn't do so on a -30 degree night for fear it wouldn't be running the next morning.

It seems to be ok now, but I don't use the programmable auto start feature. I only turn it on to constant run.

My truck and APU are both 3 years old. I don't wash my truck as often as I should, but there isn't much rust on it. The diffs are showing a little starting. However, the APU is rusted very badly. An edge against the frame that comes about an inch higher than the frame is rusted through.

I chose Carrier over Tripac because I was quoted $500 less and liked that it has a generator instead of power inverter, and the AC compressor is in the sleeper, not part of the engine. I still wonder about my choice now. I pull company trailers and no question about it I prefer a TK reefer over Carrier.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Senior Board Member

thats the thing. its $1800 cheaper then the thermo king. barf is yours plumbed in to the coolent and also plugged in to the block heater? how well does it work? i dont know where you go but, how does the heat and ac work?
Old 12-10-2011, 01:53 PM

Yes its connected to the engine's coolant, so in winter it heats the big engine while its running. My APU didn't come with a block heater, so I bought a magnetic oil pan heater that I plug in separately. Though, when driving, the coolant heats the APU. I've had a couple nights where my truck wasn't plugged in long enough and didn't start. The tempurature was -30C or colder, and to my amazement the APU did start, so an hour later I had the truck running.

I have a condo sleeper 13'6" high and close the window curtains only, so the APU has a large area to heat/cool. On the coldest of winter nights I don't recall ever being cold in the truck. I have had to set the heat on high though, which uses all the electricity (it turns off the AC power to appliances when high heat is required). At the other extreme, when I'm stuck in Laredo on a 104F sunny windy day, its probably 90F inside the truck. Too hot of course, but AC works good otherwise. Come evening when its still hot outside but the sun has set, it cools inside quickly. AC might work better if I put reflective sun shades in the windows or put the sleeper curtains back in and cooled a smaller area.

I almost had a fuel gelling problem once but caught it just in time. I had only summer diesel on a really cold night and the APU died. Luckily the truck engine started and kept running. The APU does have a return fuel line but doesn't heat the fuel like the big engine does.