User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I'm Tired of the Shear Number of Trucks Tailgating!!! It is a SLOPPY Driving Habit!!!

The SAFE following distance for cars is three (3) seconds. For full size trucks, the undisputed fact is that it is six (6) seconds. At 60 MPH (my personal driving speed), 6 seconds is a full 1/10 of a mile. This equals roughly seven (7) tractor-trailer lengths.

I don't fuss too much, if the truck behind me is at least 3 seconds behind me (on a dry road). But more often than not, trucks creep closer and closer to me, until they are one (1) truck length or even far less behind me!!! issedoff:

Over the years, I have flashed my 4-ways when these doofi exceed my 3-second comfort zone; 1st 4 flashes, then 5, then 6, then 7, then 8. Soooo many clueless idiots are oblivious to why I am flashing, and ask a stupid question about it on the CB! :roll:

So I have rigged up a portable bumper stick system to easily go from trailer to trailer with the following:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]787[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.aspx.jpg (26.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Maybe when u have more experience ull get it...Oh u watch trucks getting closer and closer to you? We all have our pet peeves, yours seems to be whats going on behind you rather than infront. If you are going 60mph u should be in the right lane, not causing a traffic jam on the left. Ur so busy worrying about what other trucks' following distance is, u dont get that you are causing traffic to get bunched up, raising the danger levels behind you.. DO not act like you are in the right because another driver is following too close while you are impeding traffic + failing to stay right.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Senior Board Member

thank you one for stating that! the worst is when you are pulling a hill and the slow driver will not move out of the lane and in to the slow lane.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Board Icon

Where in the o.p. did the o.p. say anything about which lane he was in?
Old 08-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
Where in the o.p. did the o.p. say anything about which lane he was in?
. I seen him, he was holding up traffic in the middle lane. Stay to the right and let the rest of us pass :smokin:
Old 08-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Senior Board Member

safe driving is not just about whats in front of you, also whats going on behind and beside, those are my reservations about the smith system. When traffic is mixed with different vehicles of different capabilities and limitations, pros and teens looking at facebook on their iphones, we sometimes have to be sheperds to the sheep and work together to insure everyones safety. The truck in front is the eyes of the truck behind; sometimes it is safer to follow close to a truck than allow a 4 wheeler to make a dangerous maneuver to cut in between 2 trucks.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Maybe when u have more experience ull get it...
I started driving (commercially/big rigs) in 1991 & yes, I fully get it (and more importantly have not lost it as so many apparently have). This is exactly why I am speaking out! :lol:

And, BTW I am indeed talking about when I am in the far RIGHT lane. I hate it when so many other drivers are too timid to pass me, and instead hang out on my ASS!!!

Last edited by Aufgeblassen; 08-28-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
I hate it when so many other drivers are too timid to pass me, and instead hang out on my ASS!!!
. Maybe they think you have a cute azz
Old 08-28-2011, 08:10 PM

Like I said: IT IS A SLOPPY DRIVING HABIT.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen View Post
And, BTW I am indeed talking about when I am in the far RIGHT lane. I hate it when so many other drivers are too timid to pass me, and instead hang out on my ASS!!!
I kinda thought that was what you meant, which is why I pointed it out. I don't, however, know that all those drivers are too timid to pass you. Many of them are governed near or at your speed, and they are being courteous to the rest of us by not attempting the 1 mph pass. On top of that, some drivers out there just think that they "belong" in the right lane. I don't play that game.

However, I agree with you that it is nerve-wracking to have trucks so close on your azz. It makes you feel like you should do something about it, but you can't if you're topped out. I agree that it is unsafe, and I just don't understand why they want to do it... but, hey... it's their funeral! The only time I do that is when they/you are in the middle lane and I want you to get over so I can pass. Even then, I stay back far enough to see around you, but close enough for you to get my message.

I call this phenomenon the "elephant train." I don't see how anyone can drive for miles and miles sniffing the azz of another truck! If you don't have the juice to pass him, just lay back and enjoy the ride (and a better view.) BTW.... an officer could give them a ticket for following too closely if he saw them and needed to meet his quota. That is a "major violation" and few of us can stand to have those points on our CDL (or CSA 2010 record.)

On the other hand, I think you should worry more about what's in front of you (and I'm sure you do,) and not let them bother you. I realize that you are worried about them pushing you into a 4wheeler if everyone stops suddenly, but... since their cab will be crumpled like tinfoil in that event.... they'll never do it again!

I think your flashers idea just confuses them. Just hold down your brake pedal while maintaining your speed. If that doesn't work, and you really WANT this azzhole in front of you, just apply the brakes and "back up" until they get the message.

I do wish they would make a bigger issue of this in CDL school. It is a very dangerous practice and gives us professionals a bad name.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.