User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011, 02:45 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
You have a minimum of $4.20 a loaded mile? Your CPM can't be more than ~1.40 + driver....are you trying to profit over $2.80 a loaded mile?
I think he means his minimum is 3.00/mile cuz fuel is 4.20/gallon.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 05-14-2011, 04:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
ahhh, OK. I thought he was sayin' $3 + $1.20 for fuel.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
what he said!
Old 05-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Rookie

Might have to sit a few days for that price
Old 05-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Rookie

I have been active since 4-11-2011 and I am fortunate enough that every load I haul from Kansas to Texas I get bankwired on immediately without any quickpay fees. I am a flatbedder and haul crushed cars a lot. Rates around here are $40/$45 per ton. I seem to always get loads back to Kansas that pay over $2/mile. Since I have started under my own authority I have averaged $2.04/mile for loaded and empty miles. I know guys out there are doing better but I am happy with this. I have hired driver and he seem happy with what I pay also. I pay $0.33/mile for all miles, loaded or empty.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:34 AM
Rookie

Thanks everyone for some reason my last post did not save on here I am gonna dispatch loads and we do have a Broker Authority and all the good stuff to be legal We have 2 trucks and are ready to put them on the road. I was just trying to figure out if I could stay running off load boards for a bit and thanks to all for giving me feedback! Hope everyone stays safe out there and have a fantastic day!!
Old 06-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Rookie

If you need some help give me a shout i can help you. It all depends on area. it all depends on what you are hauling and what price you need versus what you are willing to do to get the best price.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:32 PM
Rookie

Hey everyone I need more advice I am looking for some help with info that should be written in a contract for a driver to use our truck? What kind's of information should be in there? We are paying for the insurance, fuel, and repairs but I want to make sure we keep it so everyone is safe and happy. Damage to truck? I am talking like smoking or eating in the truck? Thats all fine but what if he destroys it? Should there be anything else we should make sure to be in contract. Thanks to all who replay and have a great day
Old 06-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Rookie
Exclamation my opinion and advice whatever it is worth.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfarms View Post
Hey everyone I need more advice I am looking for some help with info that should be written in a contract for a driver to use our truck? What kind's of information should be in there? We are paying for the insurance, fuel, and repairs but I want to make sure we keep it so everyone is safe and happy. Damage to truck? I am talking like smoking or eating in the truck? Thats all fine but what if he destroys it? Should there be anything else we should make sure to be in contract. Thanks to all who replay and have a great day
First off, I would decide how you are going to operate the truck and driver; will they be lease, lease option (allow the driver the option to purchase @ set price after a certain leasing period, as Owner Operator, company driver. This is a must. I would say standard maintenance/repairs are taken care of by the company not "repairs". Repairs is too broad. I would say if the truck is destroyed driver is responsible for any cost over and above what the insurance will not cover. There again if he is a O/O then I think he should be responsible. OF course if he was going to be on a lease option or a lease and acting as a O/O for your company then he would be responsible for maintenance.

I think the best ideas are founded upon where all interested parties should have a meeting and decided what you have to have what they have to have and then the incidentals. this will ensure everyone is happy with the decision.

Seems to me by your posting he will be an employee. IF that is the case. YOU should say your minimum standards are ........SPELL THEM OUT. You should definately say that the employee is an "at-will" employee. My opinion alone take it with a grain of salt. I would also put into the employee-employer contract that this contract is subject to change at anytime because of change in policies within the company. I would also put into the agreement that "if any of these policies or agreements are in anyway violations under federal law then the remaining agreement will not be effected."

I am no lawyer on employee matters. I think the best agreements that i have done are where both side say this is what i want this is what you want. These are the negotiation factors that we would like these are what you would like. This way everyone is on the same page from the beginning.

If you are hiring people on as employees then you and your husband needs to sit down and create your Policies and procedures handbook. PERIOD! This way you can give one to every employee that you have that come in without it being different agreements for everyone. Everyone is on the same page when they come into the door. Have everyone sign a form stating that they have read and agree to the policies and procedures in the company handbook and give them a copy to keep with them at all times.

I think a great read for making your Policy and Procedure handbook would be

Chet Holmes: The Ultimate Sales Machine.

This is a must for anyone with their own business.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:28 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You basically need to write a contractor or employment agreement. Just lay out in black and white what you expect of him and what he can expect from you including compensation. If he will be an independent contractor you should have a clause that makes it clear that he is an independent contractor and is responsible for his own taxes. If you give him a fuel card, then you should have that listed on the agreement along with the account number. I would try to keep the agreement to 1-2 pages. If you want you could require him to put up a cash bond that can be taken out of his weekly settlement, or however you decide to pay him. You should be clear on his responsibilities and what may happen if he violates company policies. I would keep it simple, but concise.