User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 02:14 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Questions for the o/o's

I don't understand. All these books at truck stops(the free ones out side).
Hardly any of them pay over a 1.00 a mile. I've done the math as to the trips I do every week. I'd be making less than I am now being a company driver.

I'm gonna get me a truck but I'm not gonna pull freight for free. If something goes bad on one trip your in the hole. But I see O/O everyday pulling for these compaines that don't pay jack. What gives

I'd like to know what you guys charge for Reefer,Flatbed,lowboys. I need to figure out what kind of freight pays the most vs loads available. I know reefer never stops. Thats what I pulll now. Most of the O/O's I talk to on the road say specialize to make more money. whats your opinons?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:01 AM
Senior Board Member

I'm a carrier, not an O/O but I'd say the loaded per mile hierarchy (sp?)goes about like this:

-Superloads
-RGN
-Double drops
-Reefer
-Step decks
-Van

Reefers and steps may switch places, but that must be close. I don't know jack about tankers and autohaulers.

Up until the last month or so, I've not had any trouble getting over $2/loaded mile for my steps and over $2.50 for my non detachable double drops.

But the loads are fewer and farther between than vans or reefer so you may sit more (less revenue at the end of the year, but not necessarily less profit) and there are more dead miles to pickup.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Usually they quote something like $1.10 per mile + FSC, FSC is running about 32 CPM right now.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:51 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: Questions for the o/o's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattangcobra
I don't understand. All these books at truck stops(the free ones out side).
Hardly any of them pay over a 1.00 a mile. I've done the math as to the trips I do every week. I'd be making less than I am now being a company driver.

I'm gonna get me a truck but I'm not gonna pull freight for free. If something goes bad on one trip your in the hole. But I see O/O everyday pulling for these compaines that don't pay jack. What gives

I'd like to know what you guys charge for Reefer,Flatbed,lowboys. I need to figure out what kind of freight pays the most vs loads available. I know reefer never stops. Thats what I pulll now. Most of the O/O's I talk to on the road say specialize to make more money. whats your opinons?
Hello MattangCobra

Yes specialized and LTL's are the way to go versus just rideing around with a box. It has a lot to do with haveing the right equip at the right time n being in the right place to use it. Those less than a buck carriers they have been around a long long time . They put this package together to show to new people about everything they will give you ( along with no money ) when you lease to them . Free plates special fuel deals , special truck insurance deals , Nat'l Acc deals on tires n such. They make it all look good on paper but after you get out in the real world you soon find out it does'nt all add up. I should know back on Sept 25th at 10am in the morning I rolled out of Fort Wayne Ind in my first truck that I bought through a leased purchase deal ( but they did'nt call it that back then ) with North Amer Van Lines. There was a outfit out of Kansas called MidWestern Distribution that you could but a truck for 1$on payments back then too.. I was 22 and thought I had the world by the tail in my single axle 4070B cabover Intl !!!! I was in their freight division not house-hold. They paid me a whopping 72 cents a mile !!! The only way I out-lived that arrange-ment was that back then you could trip lease and every time they would try to starve me out I would find a hot load to haul n keep the money runnin useing their trailer. Thats what showed me how much that the other freight pays (even back then) !!! But fuel was a lot cheaper back then too. I can remember paying 65 cents a gallon at KING Fuel stops in Missouri. Every-one learns from their mistakes. I was 1 of the less than 1%of people that ever left their with a paid off truck. I thought they were going to scream when they had to give me the title !!!! Sorry about all the rambling I got caught up in the good ol days !!!
Old 10-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Don't all the ads say they have the "top pay in the industry"?