User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default MBE 4000 and VED 12

Looking at getting back into my own truck. Have looked at mostly Cats and Cummins, but have noticed a lot of late model Volvo and Freightshakers with low mileage for reasonable prices. Most have MBE (Freightiners) and VED 12 (Volvo). Anyone know anything about these two engines? Don't know too much about the MBE. Have heard the VED is a good engine but expensive to work on. How's the durability on both or either engine?

Also any input on Freedomline transmissions?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The problem you will run into with either of these engines is that you will likely need to go to the dealer to have engine work done. That will be more expensive than one of the standard U.S. engines, such as Cummins, Detroit or CAT. I have heard more positives about Volvo engines. Mercedes has been split on pros and cons.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
The problem you will run into with either of these engines is that you will likely need to go to the dealer to have engine work done. That will be more expensive than one of the standard U.S. engines, such as Cummins, Detroit or CAT.
I have thought of this also. Have looked at where I'd be running most of the time and dealer networks wouldn't be a problem on either, but it does cut out the possibility of getting work done at a smaller or independant shop.

Am trying to decide to go to newer truck 2004 -2005 with low miles, or to go with older 1998-2002 with recent overhaul, and good mechanical history.. Trying to keep payments lower if I can.

Did find a 02 660 volvo with 469, 000 and 500 Cummins that was 44,000.

I've looked at everything from 25,000 to 70,000 deppending on mileage, history, etc. Don't want to spend above 70,000.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Rebuilds for volvos are in line with other makes, but their injectors are more pricey.

I'd stay away from the MB engines. There's many things I don't like about them.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Senior Board Member

The Volvo D12 has been around quite a bit longer than the Mercedes-Benz engine, so you're more likely to find diesel mechanics other than Volvo dealers who have had some experience with those engines.

I bet Scania is more of a headache than Volvo OR Mercedes. They were in the US market only briefly. :wink:
Old 10-22-2007, 03:39 PM

I have an 04 volvo 670 with the volvo ved 12 and have had no problems out of it. It will back down on hills a bit but the avg 7.3+mpg loaded heavy makes up for the drop in climbing steep hills. I am about to have my valves adjusted so the fuel mileage should only get better. Maybe the hill puliing will improve but if not that 's ok too. The volvo motor was built for fuel economy and reliability. I have been told the motor is bullet proof. Oh by the way 44 for an o2 volvo 660 is way to much. I found mine on truckpaper and paid just a bit more then that one you are looking at.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeymike
I have an 04 volvo 670 with the volvo ved 12 and have had no problems out of it. It will back down on hills a bit but the avg 7.3+mpg loaded heavy makes up for the drop in climbing steep hills. I am about to have my valves adjusted so the fuel mileage should only get better. Maybe the hill puliing will improve but if not that 's ok too. The volvo motor was built for fuel economy and reliability. I have been told the motor is bullet proof. Oh by the way 44 for an o2 volvo 660 is way to much. I found mine on truckpaper and paid just a bit more then that one you are looking at.
European trucks are geared more towards fuel economy and the Volvo reflects that. In a world where a full tank of fuel can set you back a grand or more, fuel economy is vital. But so is the ability to maintain speed. That's why you frequently see European trucks sporting 500+ hp engines, so they can get good MPG figures while maintaining speed, which is usually limited by law to 80-90 km/h.