Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: International 9900

Mack2 is offline Senior Board Member

Default International 9900

Any coments on this truck?

Have a good frend looking at one. It's a 2003 9900, ISX Cummins 475HP, 18spd, Jake, 18frt, 46rear, 300,000mi $61,000.

Mackman is offline Senior Board Member

I drove a 9900ix eagle lowboy a couple times it had a 475 cat 8LL really really nice truck. One of my fav. trucks.. It was doubled framed heavy haul tractor. When he order this truck money was not a problem as you can tell he paints all his trucks and equipment. All round i really like this truck and if i where going to buy a truck a 9900 would be right up there.
    Truck Driving an occupation consisting of hours of boredom interrupted by sheer terror!!

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

PackRatTDI is offline Senior Board Member

Default Re: International 9900

Quote Originally Posted by Mack2
    Any coments on this truck?

Have a good frend looking at one. It's a 2003 9900, ISX Cummins 475HP, 18spd, Jake, 18frt, 46rear, 300,000mi $61,000.
    Reminds me a lot of the old 4300 Transtar.
    You can take the driver out of the truck but you cant take the truck out of the driver.

brian is offline Senior Board Member

people either love em or hate em it seems when it comes to internationals, i`ve only driven two when I was younger doing local work, they were both clpped out pieces of crap but they never died.

i`m actually interested in hearing more opinions because theres a wrecked 06 i`d like to pick up.

GMAN is offline Administrator Board Icon

When I first started driving I was given a International. I had 2 more after that one. I currently own a 9400 Eagle. It has been a good truck. I would buy another one if I decided to trade and found a good deal. They are tough trucks. The great thing about International is that you can get more for your money, when buying used, than some of the other brands. I wasn't looking for an International when I found this one. At the time, I figured that I would probably buy another Peterbilt. I found it at a local dealer and got a very good deal on it. They were selling it for a guy who bought it new and wanted to retire. After driving it for several years, I am glad I bought it rather than a Pete. It has more room in the sleeper and does much better on fuel mileage. I have replaced both rears. So far that is the only major expense. I have over 800,000 miles on it and it is still running strong. I feel that I could get at least 1MM miles before an over haul. I may just see if I can do that. I have gotten my money out of this truck many times over. If I scrapped it tomorrow, I would not have lost anything. The only thing I am having a problem with right now is that I am losing water and can't seem to find out where it is coming from. I may have a head gasket leaking. I have redone the radiator recently. The tank was busted.

RostyC is offline Senior Board Member

GMAN, what type of engine does the International have?

I agree with G, (2 pts for rhyming ), you can get some really good deals on Internationals.

Here's what I'm finding a lot of though,and this concerns me. Internationals with Detroit engines, with 6 or 700,000 miles on them. I read where most Detroits need inframed at 700,000. So I guess these guys (companies) are dumping them at around those miles to avoid the cost of an inframe?

Obviously a thorough check of the truck should reveal a engine close to needing major work but if those thorough checks are on your dime you want to limit the amount of trucks you check out.

RostyC, I have a CAT in this one. Starting out all of my trucks had Detroits. Most of the Internationals I have looked at seem to have Cummins. I suppose they are good engines, but I prefer CAT. At least I do until something needs to be replaced. :P I have never owned a Cummins, although I have driven them. I have only owned Detroit and CAT.

I spoke to a local Detroit distributor several years ago. He told me that the average rebuild was at around 750,000 miles for the series 60. I have met some owner operators who have gone beyond the 1 million mile mark, but most probably won't go that long before needing a rebuild. That doesn't mean that a truck with 700,000 miles is ready for an in-frame. I would have a dyno and oil analysis. That will tell you more about what is going on with the engine than anything else you could do. And if you find a truck you are interested, you can take the serial number from the engine and take it to any Detroit dealer and they can tell you any work that may have been done at a certified dealer or repair facility. A lot of engines could have been rebuilt at an earlier time. They could also have had bearings replaced. It isn't that expensive to replace bearings. I have known of some owner operators who replace bearings at certain intervals so they don't have to worry about engine failures.

And if you find a truck you are interested, you can take the serial number from the engine and take it to any Detroit dealer and they can tell you any work that may have been done at a certified dealer or repair facility

Excellent, thank you Gman. That way you look at many trucks before spending the money for dyno, oil analysis and the like.

You are welcome, RostyC. If someone wants to sell a truck, they should have any receipts for what was done. If a non-certified engine shop did the work, it might not be on the manufacturer's system, but it could still have been a good job. Still, I would want to see the receipts. If I liked everything else about the truck, then I would probably do the dyno and oil analysis before buying the truck. I would not do the dyno or oil analysis until I was ready to buy. It will probably cost somewhere between $200-400. There is no reason to spend that much money on a truck you are not certain you will buy. I am usually more cautious about fleet trucks than those coming from an owner operator. Some fleets don't perform maintenance as they should. On the other hand, if an owner operator was in trouble he might not have done proper maintenance, either. You can usually tell whether a truck has been taken care of just by it's appearance. But, I would not rely totally on appearances.

Yes, this is going to be a long process, since I'm in no hurry I can be as picky as I want or need to be. Basically, I'm looking at a ceiling of 25,000.00 for a truck. I think it's doable, just need patience is all.

I'm thinking that I should stick with a Detroit or a Cummins to start, that way even after all the test have been done and something still goes wrong either of those two engines would be cheaper to fix than a Cat. Especially if it's in the first year of operation, it would be a smaller business expense. What do you think?

brian is offline Senior Board Member

i`ve said it once and i`ll say it again, if you find a truck you like and the dealer won`t pay for the dyno or oil analysis from a third party tester but is willing to knock thousands off the asking price its time to walk away.

no reason for the prospective buyer to pay for these services.

ToxicWaste is offline Member

RostyC
    I bought my truck from International UTC in kansas city, MO and they were the most professional dealer I've ever dealt with. They had quite a few ex-walmart and heartland trucks instock with miles around 6-700.

Thanks brian, I'll definitely ask if they will pay for it and see what their reaction is.

TW, Kansas is too far for me to look at trucks unfortunately, I've been looking at the Five Star International dealers in PA. There's five of them in PA, three of which are close enough to drive to and if I see a truck I like from the other two lots that are upstate they'll bring it down for me to look over.

Have you had a good experience with the truck you bought? Was it an ex-walmart or Heartland truck?

heavyhaulerss is offline Senior Board Member

i just hit 1 mil miles on my 11.1 detroit 3/06 07 still going. i have no idea whats holding it together. lol. it is in a 95 intl. original motor. never any work done. original trans,rears,e.t.c. still has original clutch too. if ya can believe it. as far as losing water.. check to see if it is coming out of overflow hose. it may not come out while idleing, but come out when moving & you wont ever see it. if thats the case. it is most likely a head gasket. cost est 2,000 second guess would be a hole in the piston liner.

I think it is probably a head gasket. CAT wants $3,500 to fix it, providing that is all that is wrong with it. I spoke with another mechanic who said he could probably make the repairs for about $2,000-2,500. The problem with working on these engines is that you never know what you may get into when you take the head off. You may expect to spend $2,000 and end up spending $8,000 before it is over. :shock:

from my own experience. i would say a detroit kicks a-- on fuel mileage compared to cat. i do fuel mi calculations on every fill up. just yesterday i got 7.2 mpg thru montgomery al. loaded. if i'm running north area g.r. mi i get 7.8 now i am honest. that is not running wide open. but i have over 1 mil mi's on a 11.1 det. and that fuel mi is great. now if i'm on hills & i have a headwind & or a high load(have flatbed) then the mileage will drop to 5.7-6.5 the difference in fuel cost wil just about make a truck pymnt.

pepe4158 is offline Senior Board Member
    California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Woaaa they are expensive trucks, say guys forgive my ignorance here, but does their superior quality really justify that price? Just wondering since I am in the mood to buy?

o.k. just my opinion. the pete's & cat's or great products but overated. when i load near home with other drivers we will run together. when we get to our destination, we all get paid the same. no matter what we pull up in. let me give you the exact reasons why i got the truck i bought. i bought an ole cabover-walmart truck. in 99. it is a 95 model. it looked great & was well taken care of. i didnt know if if things would work out for me being new to the trucking industry. so i figured...if it did not work out, i would not have to work that long or hard to get my money back & then go on to something else. every single driver that i came in contact with asked why did i not buy a hood. pete, k.w. e.t.c. the cabover was 1/2 the price of the other trucks, same year, same miles & the hoods cost 50% more... i paid 15,250 total bottom line cash in 99. i am still driving truck every day. just hit 1 mil miles 2 days ago. still original engine, nothing replaced. nothing. still original clutch, trans e.t.c. now for the good part. since i have made excellent money every year & no pymt on truck or trailer i had to do something with the money or pay high taxes. so every year i bought a lil fixer upper rental property. to date i own 7 houses & 1 mobile home. 4 are totally paid for & the rest are less than 3 years left on mortgage. i usually put 8-10 grand down & finance for 3-7 years. soooo.. that is what the trucking business has done for me. most drivers like all the fancy chrome & the rest. but remember the thrill of driving a fancy truck wears off long before the payments do.. now please dont anyone take offense if you drive a nice truck. i just think.. maybe if your on your second or third truck then by all means go all out. by then you should know all you need to know if you want & can afford an expensive truck.. good luck to all..

pepe4158 is offline Senior Board Member
    California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Hmmm I wouldnt get the cab-over, unless I got a real fantastic buy, I always think economics, and feul at 3.00 a gallon (and middle-east oil being as predictable as a tornado) where I live I gotta have a streamlined aerodynamic truck, those box trucks look pretty, but the bottom-line is all I care about.
    Howeever, if I could save the big $ in price for the box or cab-over on a better deal I'd bite.

did you read the mileage i am getting on my cabover? it would be hard to get that with a conventional truck. i thought the same thing when i bought it. just like a brick wall going down the road right ? but keep this in mind... my truck is thousands of lbs lighter than some other decked out trucks, that lighter weight has an affect on fuel mileage too. also. because i am lighter i can haul more weight wich pays more. i can haul 50,000 lbs leagal. wich would pay me on some loads 100 to a few hundred more than say a guy who can only haul 42,000 because of his weight. now for the most important part to me. there have been times when freight was slow & a few of us were up north wanting to get a load home south. 700 mi to home. when all the mills had was a load weighing 48-49000 lbs guess who got to go home first / u got it. me.. this has happened more times than i can count. and sometimes there were no other trucks with me. just me. but still in all. if i could not haul the weight i may have had to wait longer, maybe overnight or take load going someplace i dont want to go. beleive me aerodynamics helps, but the perfect aerodynamic truck may not get good fuel mieage unless everything else is in order- proper tire inflation-proper injector performance- clean air filter-speed & so much more.

22. This ad will disappear if you login

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast