User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Your also right Rev. But I guess I'm stealing the thread here so, with everyone's permission, I shall now bow out gracefully, covering my tracks as I go.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56
Thanks for the honest and frank analysis Gman. You have a way with words. Essentially, you are telling me to look elsewhere and my past employment history is one of the problems with this industry. I certainly hope not and I'm not ready to give up just yet. Not only that, you were polite and never used a single four letter word, although many reading this post could have responded quite differently. In my defense, I would like to explain a few things. My problems with the trucking industry were not caused by my dispatcher, company, my ability to maneuver in tight spaces nor back into a tight dock. I never abandoned a vehicle or did anything that wasn't requested of me. My issues were caused by growing teenagers that had failed to mature at the rate that either myself and society had established. One is now doing quite well in the US Army and the other has gainful employment in Florida. My issues are resolved and now it is a matter of getting back on the horse, which is proving quite difficult.

I see no need to call people names or put them down, Jimbo56. Most come on here seeking honest answers to their questions. I don't think we need to put them down.

I am glad that your children have found their way. That is something that needs to be explained to any potential employer. Some may cut you some slack, others may not. One major problem you have is that you don't have any current experience. Insurance companies look for current otr experience. My insurance company requires a minimum of 2 years of current experience before they will cover them. Some of the large carriers can get around this because some self insure up to a certain point so the exposure to the insurance company is more limited. Another way large carriers get around this is because of the number of trucks and drivers they have in their system.

If you can't get into this industry due to the job hopping, then I suggest that you find something else you can do for a while and stick with it. By staying with an employer for a year or two you are showing that you are attempting to change your behavior. Current positive behavior can overcome some negative behavior that is several years old.

I would never tell anyone to abandon their dreams. The path that leads to success doesn't always run in a straight line. Sometimes we need to take a detour to get to where we need or want to go. The challenges and adversities we face in our lives make us strong and enable us to grow.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
Quote:
Business, like life is about compromises. We make compromises to accomplish our goals.
Man, did THAT nail it! Nicely stated, G-Man.
I actually think that "compromise" is not the right word. Compromising infers that both sides will give and take. I disagree with that. The industry, as a whole, doesn't really do that. Sure, it changes, but that change has nothing to do with it compromising.

I think "adapt" fits better. Business is about adapting. The faster you can do it, and the sooner you can predict that you will need to, the better off you will likely be. Those who are whining the loudest about strikes and rates and fuel costs are the ones who failed to adapt to the changing environment.
Business adapts to changing market conditions. We compromise when we deal with people. Companies who are rigid with employees will tend to not do as well as those who compromise along the way when necessary. Any business needs certain guidelines when dealing with employees. A good business will make compromises when it is in the best interest of the business and the employee. A successful company will continue to adapt to changes in the business environment.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Rookie

I seem to be running across a situation I've read other experienced drivers talking about. I've been out of big trucks for 10 years but kept my CDL as a "safety net". Well, I need that net or I'm going to be out of house & home. But I cannot get a response to my applications, and I post a CDL resume and other documents to boot.

I even had one local company in Lynchburg put me through a full medical, drug screen, give me the new medical certificate, then gave me a road test. I asked if I could get "familiarized" with a big truck again and the response was, "it doesn't matter if you were in a truck two days ago or ten years ago, you should be able to drive. So I did, hooked up a 53'er and down the road I went with the reviewer. It was a Volvo and I was grinding gears like a bad dog, so I asked if it was okay to float the gears, and he said the company trucks weren't set up so you could float the gears. Yeah, and I had to stop in an intersection and start up again,.. but get this, he took me to a dock and I backed the trailer between two other 53'ers on the 1st attempt without having to pull up or anything. I made all the turns correctly as well,.. but safety failed me on the test.

So when you talk about a changing industry I'm wondering where it is I have to go to find work, and since I'm a Geezer (I'm past the 60mm) I'm wondering if that's an issue as well. It is true I would prefer not to lump (a lot) of loads, and I applied with Maverick but to be honest I was concerned about tarping, but they haven't contacted me back,. so is that an age thing? Anyway folks, just venting but guidance would be great also! And oh yeah, my avatar is a 10 million dollar truck I was driving, its not like I don't (didn't) know what I was doing!
Old 06-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
Quote:
Business, like life is about compromises. We make compromises to accomplish our goals.
Man, did THAT nail it! Nicely stated, G-Man.
G-Man or Twilight Flyer,

PM me please and I will be happy to send you my information and ask questions. I said in a recnt post I have "concerns" but that doesn't mean I won't work,.. the $$$ needs to reverse direction if you know what I mean! Thanks

ps ooops, just read a more recent post G-man,.. understand... (that's whatI get for reading posts bassackwards :wink: )
Old 06-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Royedw: I am afraid that you will probably need to go back to school. Perhaps a refresher course will suffice. It seems that in this industry if you do not have one year of experience in the last three years they won't hire you.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 06-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlco
Royedw: I am afraid that you will probably need to go back to school. Perhaps a refresher course will suffice. It seems that in this industry if you do not have one year of experience in the last three years they won't hire you.
Yeah, I had thought about that also, a school near here said I could do a one day course for $500 and they would give me a "certificate", but I'm wondering if that is or would be enough... ??
Old 07-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

My guess is the problem you may be having is the length of time since you have been out of a truck. Most insurance companies are a bit picky about recent experience. Mine requires a minimum of 2 years experience out of the last 3 years. Insurance companies rarely call your previous employers but will check your MVR to see how long you have had a CDL. You may need to take a refresher course or go with a trainer for a couple of weeks. Another alternative is that you may find a smaller carrier who can get you past their insurance company.

There are certainly more vans out here than flats, but flats will usually pay more. Tarping can be somewhat physically taxing. However, if you are in good physical shape you could probably handle that aspect. I would say that the most important thing you need to do at this point is get a year or two of current experience. It may take a little practice to shift without grinding the gears. Just keep an eye on the rpm's and you should get used to shifting again.

If it were me I would have asked the guy whom you went with why you didn't get the job, especially after having the physical and road test.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Rookie

Okay, so I called Schneider recruiting and was told they aren't training any new drivers especially Charlotte so that option is out. They also said since I had been out so long I would need to do a "refresher" course, and she said longer than the one day deal I was told about which wouldn't cut it.

My options are now a company who will bring me on board and ride with a trainer (???), or one who will train me (again) which means an obligation again (???).

Any ideas on where to go would be appreciated,.. I'm in Lynchburg and going to drive down US-29 S and talk with the small companies I see there...
Old 07-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am not familiar with the carriers around Lynchburg, but I suggest getting on the phone and start contacting carriers. There are several who train drivers. You may also check the company listings on this forum. Quite a few of the larger carriers are listed along with their requirements.