User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Another newb. grinding gears question!

Hi all,

I just wanted to ask how the pro's come to a stop light? Do you downshift through the gears? Do you just stop and then put the transmission in whatever gear you will be using to go again? I have tried both ways and always grind the gears. In fact it seems that everytime I go to put the truck in a gear it grinds, even in reverse. Is there a trick to putting the truck in gear. I feel like I am tearing up the trans in this truck and the thing doesn't even have 20,000 miles on it. Nearly every stop light I stop at, I just can't get this thing in gear easily, did I miss something in school?
Old 08-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Senior Board Member

im not a pro but i'll give you my opinions free of charge

Quote:
I just wanted to ask how the pro's come to a stop light? Do you downshift through the gears?
Yes. Why?? you will use the engine as a brake instead of using your air brakes to slow your tractor. doing this will save your brake pads

Quote:
Do you just stop and then put the transmission in whatever gear you will be using to go again? I have tried both ways and always grind the gears.
Practice, practice, practice!!!! watch your rpms and give yourself room to slowdown with out endangering other cars. After a month or so you'll be able to judge your rpms by ear and not looking at the tachometer.

Quote:
In fact it seems that everytime I go to put the truck in a gear it grinds, even in reverse. Is there a trick to putting the truck in gear.
Your clutch might needs adjustment, have your shop look at it.
Quote:
I feel like I am tearing up the trans in this truck and the thing doesn't even have 20,000 miles on it. Nearly every stop light I stop at, I just can't get this thing in gear easily, did I miss something in school?
it takes time to "master" the art of shifting.

are you double clutching or floating??
Old 08-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Well heres what I can tell you. The more you do it (shift) the less you'll grind 'em.
Come back in a month and tell us how the grinding problem is a thing of the past :lol:

It just takes experience, dont stress on it.

I worked with a guy who said "the day you dont grind a gear is the day AFTER you retire from trucking"
Old 08-16-2007, 11:55 PM
Default Re: Another newb. grinding gears question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by villiageidiot
Hi all,

I just wanted to ask how the pro's come to a stop light? Do you downshift through the gears? Do you just stop and then put the transmission in whatever gear you will be using to go again? I have tried both ways and always grind the gears. In fact it seems that everytime I go to put the truck in a gear it grinds, even in reverse. Is there a trick to putting the truck in gear. I feel like I am tearing up the trans in this truck and the thing doesn't even have 20,000 miles on it. Nearly every stop light I stop at, I just can't get this thing in gear easily, did I miss something in school?
KEEP YOUR RPM'S LOW! When you're up or down shifting keep your rpm's down. I know it sounds like it needs more "Rs" to up shift but that's what these big bad diesels are built for. And remember when you're goin down those mountins USE A LOWER GEAR. Don't worry about that jurk behind you, weather it's a 4 wheeler or a loud mouth in a big hurry in another big truck, it's not worth smokin your breaks and finding out on the next down hill grade they just ain't doin there job anymore. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:00 AM
Senior Board Member

You might want to peruse the following threads:

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...t=downshifting

As Nick said, once you get some experience you'll be able to shift without even thinking about it.

If you can't get the trans. in gear when the truck is stopped then the clutch brake may be out of adjustment or worn out / broken.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:31 AM

Im very new at this and one thing I keep screwing up is taking it out of gear before a complete stop 1-2 miles an hour and you will grind them trying to get it in gear. Wait for a complete stop just a newbe's 2 cents dont know if that will help
Old 08-17-2007, 06:08 AM
Rookie

Thanks for all the advise! I have been working on my own for 3 months now, and figured I would be further along than I am. I never worked with a trainer as I got a local job right out of school. I did not get a lot of the hands on training others have. I do double clutch sometimes and I float sometimes. I am progressing more towards floating because I am finding it easier. I think I picked up down shifting pretty quick, usually is not an issue, though I do have the occasional brain fart and grind away but for the most part I down shift pretty smooth. My biggest issue is putting the truck in gear at a stop. I notice when I am backing in a dock, I am very cautious and not very comfortable with this yet and I do get out and look often. When I get back in the truck to continue backing and put the truck in reverse it grinds. It seems that if I want to sit for a minute or two with my foot on the clutch it slips in easier. Also, sometimes if I have to stop quickly at a light and don't have the time to down shift through the gears, it grinds when I try to put it in 3rd. gear as I always start in 3rd. Sometimes while stopped, I will back shift through the gears till I get to 3rd. with ease, other times it grinds. I just can't seem to be consistent or find the right pattern for getting myself ready to go again. I am starting to wonder if the clutch is out of adjustment, it was suggested by a few people I have personally talked to and it was mentioned here. I thought with the truck being so new with such low miles on it, the clutch was ship shape, but maybe it is not me and it is in fact in need of adjustment.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:21 AM
Default Re: Another newb. grinding gears question!

Sounds like there maybe an issue with the clutch brake no longer working. When your're at a dead stop, you should be able to put that clutch to the floor to get it in gear without any real trouble. Don't put that clutch to the floor when you are still moving.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
My biggest issue is putting the truck in gear at a stop
As you're coming to a stop, just as the truck is rolling at the right speed to catch 3rd gear at idle speed (the gear you said you start off in), pop it into 3rd gear, then depress the clutch and just keep the clutch depressed until you're ready to go again.

That's basically how I do it all the time (altough I usually start off in 2nd when empty, and first when loaded to save the clutch).

The only time I leave it in neutral when stopped in traffic is if it's going to be an extended time til I get moving again (my left leg gets sore then!)

As I said before, if you cant get it into gear at a stop without grinding, then the clutch brake is AFU.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Rookie

Listen, one thing you can try is:

If you come to your stop or attempt to put it reverse and its grinding or difficult, assuming you have the clutch pedal pushed to the floor, simply raise your foot releaving the pedal and gently push the gear stick to desired gear while you release the clutch. This can find the "sweet" spot and you will be golden.

Btw, in regards to your backing issues, take your time and get out of that truck as often as you damn well need to.

Anyone rushing you can go to hell, after you damage some property rushing for the dock guy, your the one who will pay for years not him.

Good luck man, you will be fine. It takes a real man to ask for help.