User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 03:17 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvsreck
I asked my log lady about that and she said the only thing that needs to match up is fuel stops. And only within 30 minutes. That's a bit restrictive, but at least my tolls and such don't have to match up, otherwise I'd be screwed.
All MY toll receipts (when I have them) are timestamped, and I make those match up as well! My fuel receipts (I don't know about "reports") have NO time on them, so I don't worry about them. If I "roll across" a scale, I don't worry. But, if I have to go inside, and I see him enter anything into his computer.... I make it match!

Perhaps, we should point out the difference between a roadside "inspection" of documentation, and a company "audit." My company assures me that THEY know how to avoid a confrontation on an "audit." The inspector who punches data from my logbook and receipts into his computer, ONLY gets a "timeline" to see if I've logged things in the proper timeframe to avoid a speeding ticket.

Besides.... unless you are saying you made this trip YESTERDAY, it is EASY to make you logbook conform to times and places.... the trick is to not get there TOO early, or AFTER your 14 hours. :wink:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:20 AM
Senior Board Member

The larger truckstops don't have a time on the reciept for this reason. If I have to get fuel somewhere with a time on the reciept, I "modify" it.

8)
Old 01-08-2007, 03:24 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
The larger truckstops don't have a time on the reciept for this reason. If I have to get fuel somewhere with a time on the reciept, I "modify" it.

8)
we have to put our driver number, truck number and trip number on every ticket. I use a rubber stamp with eveything but the trip number on it, you would be surprised how often it accidently gets smudged right on a time stamp
Old 01-08-2007, 03:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Big difference between a "raodside" check and a company audit.

It is easy to get by on a roadside log check. What can come back and really bite you and your company in the wallet is the audits. Depending on how much digging the inspectors want to do they can pull everything from fuel reports to payroll records.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:49 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Why should timestamps be an issue? If you're logging it as you're doing it like you're supposed to, then what's the problem? Unless you AREN'T logging it as you're doing it (i.e. "cooking" or "fudging" the book so you can run more miles) in which case you're breaking the law.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:58 AM
Senior Board Member

My fuel tickets DID have a time stamped on them.

Usually, I was able to fuel up right before I shut down; that way, I could "re-think my logbook perspectives" by starting from fuel time & PTI, then working it backwards.

It always worked well for me.
8)
Old 01-08-2007, 04:35 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Why should timestamps be an issue? If you're logging it as you're doing it like you're supposed to, then what's the problem? Unless you AREN'T logging it as you're doing it (i.e. "cooking" or "fudging" the book so you can run more miles) in which case you're breaking the law.
There's really NO WAY for ME to run more miles. My truck outruns the speed limit, [along with the "flow" of traffic that is doing the SAME!] and therefore the number of miles I can run in my "allotted" 11 hours of driving.

Look at it THIS way: DOT doesn't want me to be driving after 14 hours on duty. Let's say, within that 14 hour window, I can drive the maximum miles allowable, by speed limits, attainable within the 11 hours allowed to be driving. But, traffic slows me down, or I stop for a break or three. Or I sit (and nap) at a shipper for 3 hours waiting on someone to pick my lettuce! Point is... sometimes I get there too early. Other times, I might be OVER 11 hours driving, but UNDER 14 hours on duty. I've HAD several breaks. I'm NOT breaking the "spirit" of the law. Or I scaled at the wrong time, or passed thru a tollbooth too early....

I've slept for AT LEAST 10 hours before starting my day. Sometimes, I have to leave one place early in the morning to be "in position" for a load later in the day. I get LOTS of time off while waiting, but not a full 8 hour "sleeper berth" break. Then, I get the dispatch to go get my load. I waste 4 hours waiting to get loaded. Then, my BOL and/or scale ticket says I was there at a certain time. But, I need to lay down some miles.

If you're at home, and get up at 8 a.m., and only get 4 hours of work in for the day, do you want someone telling you that you have to "go to bed" at 10 p.m. that night??? Are you still a CHILD??? I haven't had a 10 p.m curfew since I was 8 years old!

If you want MY "take" on it.... here it is: We should be allowed to drive 11 hours PER 24 hour day, period! As a "team driver" I can NOW maximize my hours to drive nearly 14 hours a day! Just give me 11 (or 12) hours of driving time in 24 hours, and let ME decide when to take a nap, and for how long, and where! Just let me GET my 11 hours worth of miles!

By forcing me to try to GET my 11 hours driving, within a 14 hour window, after wasting 6 hours at shippers doing NOTHING, you make me drive FASTER, LONGER without breaks, and "POSSIBLY" beyond my 14 hour window and "fudge" my logs!

I totally comprehend the DESIRED regulation for an 8 hour continuous sleep every 24 hours.... and THAT is what the regs are aimed at. I am NOT in favor of the "old" 5 and 5 system! But, I RESENT being "timed" at every fuel stop or scale or weigh station along the way towards getting my 600-700 miles per day! Some days, I might not GET that many! FINE! "I" know when I'm sleepy and need to "restart."

I'm all FOR keeping truckers from running 18 hours a day with no sleep! But, there has GOT to be a better way of doing it!

And.... if you read the final ruling on the fmcsa website, you'll see that I am NOT the only one who feels this way!

Hobo

Old 01-08-2007, 04:43 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: Ensure that fuel tickets match logs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaldeagle655
A local company was recently audited by DOT. One of the main areas they looked at were the time stamps on the fuel tickets. Seems drivers watches must have been a bit off, the time stamp on the fuel ticket was say 8:15 am, in El Paso. The Log book showed that they did indeed fill up in El Paso but that was at 3 PM.

Result, $1100 fine. Log Falsification

ONE driver, 19 violations!

Wonder if he still works there?
One other thing-Even though your fuel ticket may not have a Time Stamp on it it can be decoded which will show when you fueled.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:12 AM
Board Icon
Default Re: Ensure that fuel tickets match logs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaldeagle655
A local company was recently audited by DOT. One of the main areas they looked at were the time stamps on the fuel tickets. Seems drivers watches must have been a bit off, the time stamp on the fuel ticket was say 8:15 am, in El Paso. The Log book showed that they did indeed fill up in El Paso but that was at 3 PM.

Result, $1100 fine. Log Falsification

ONE driver, 19 violations!

Wonder if he still works there?
One other thing-Even though your fuel ticket may not have a Time Stamp on it it can be decoded which will show when you fueled.

With a "decoder ring?" :roll:

Maybe, we haven't heard the whole story here, but an $1100 fine to a trucking company is PEANUTS compared to the thousands or millions they can earn throughout the year by having their drivers "push envelopes."

I don't know MUCH about "audits." But, if this audit resulted in ONLY $1100 fine to the company, then it is nothing more than a "cost of doing business."

If the major "carrirers" were constantly being audited and forced to comply with regs, there would be about 1/3rd of the freight being moved in this country every year.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:31 AM
Rookie

this recently happened at my company. several violations were found. One driver was similair to this, they found log violations that warranted something like a $1500 fine. This retard even logged 1000 miles in 11 hours one day. our trucks are governed at 65-70 hahaha

anyway, dot audited them. For the very reason I'm sure, my company did not have time stamped fuel receipts and records. The auditor instructed the owner to call fleet one and request time stamped sheets to be faxed over immediately, which he went through. Turns out to everyone's surprise that even if you don't have them time stamped (comdata and fleet one at least) has it on record. so all that has to be done is have a request for them and out they go. and the auditor will ask for them.

i try to make my fuel stops and even my tolls match. I'd be screwed if they went by pre-pass box or something though. Those wouldn't even be close most of the time.

btw, the auditor didn't ask for toll receipts only fuel. however, i'm sure that he could have asked for tolls. but i'm not sure if the company has to keep them. if they don't, i'm sure they got trashed :lol: