User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2006, 01:41 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I don't get it...

Can someone explain how companies check felony history? Got a friend who had a felony back in 1994 and didn't think he could get hired on. He was hired by a co decent to, and then sent for his DAC. No felony nowhere on that record!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Do they only go back x amount of years? If so, how do companies who don't take felonies ever find out you have an old one??
Old 12-16-2006, 02:05 AM

Oh sure!!! The old, I have this friend! :lol: :lol:
Old 12-16-2006, 02:18 AM
Board Regular

As far as DAC, it depends on the company that has hired their services. DAC has different plans as to how much they check. The more they dig, the more the cost to said trucking company. And their prices are up there. That is why you do not find many of the smaller fleets utilizing DAC. It just costs to much, when your insurance company will do it for free, not really free, but you get my drift.

My ins. company goes back 3 years on driving, and I think 10 years on felonies.

I no longer have any employees, but that is another story.
:cry:
Old 12-16-2006, 02:19 AM
Rookie

Yep, sure do and he - taking the chance and believing all is eventually forgiven - is out there driving! Me? Yep again, I woulda wanted to drive OTR once upon a time, but for the above stated reasons never pursued it and yes, I am curious!!!!!!!

I ain't gotta lie to kick it... 8)
Old 12-16-2006, 02:38 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: I don't get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Towman
Can someone explain how companies check felony history? Got a friend who had a felony back in 1994 and didn't think he could get hired on. He was hired by a co decent to, and then sent for his DAC. No felony nowhere on that record!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Do they only go back x amount of years? If so, how do companies who don't take felonies ever find out you have an old one??
Most companies will accept a felony that is over 10 years. However one major problem can happen with a felony conviction. You can not drive in Canada with a felony conviction without getting a Canadian waiver or Ministers Permit. It was explained to me Canada will arrest the driver and seize the truck.

While most companies use DAC some use other sources besides DAC. Since all felonies are public documents it is not to hard to find a felony convictions.

Many companies will not hire any felony while other look at what you are convicted of.

kc0iv
Old 12-16-2006, 03:05 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

All the company need to do is go to the local police or sheriff's office and order the criminal background check. They can do a local, which basically includes the country, state or national. There are also services who offer background checks on line. The TBI (Tennessee Bureau of Investigation) now advertises that they will do background checks on anyone for a price. :? Some companies will hire felons after 5 years. Each company makes their own policies. The type of conviction makes a difference. There are a few which would make it difficult to get past the safety people. Drug convictions are especially difficult in a big truck.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:31 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: I don't get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Towman
Most companies will accept a felony that is over 10 years. However one major problem can happen with a felony conviction. You can not drive in Canada with a felony conviction without getting a Canadian waiver or Ministers Permit. It was explained to me Canada will arrest the driver and seize the truck.

While most companies use DAC some use other sources besides DAC. Since all felonies are public documents it is not to hard to find a felony convictions.

Many companies will not hire any felony while other look at what you are convicted of.

kc0iv
Canada will not arrest you, they will just deni you entry to their country!
Old 12-16-2006, 05:24 AM
Rookie

Having been responsible for doing 100+ backgrounds on employment candidates for public service, it only takes a visit to your home county or counties of residence to research your criminal history as well as civil and any other public records.

So, if you did it;someone can find it.

/Steve
[/img]
Old 12-16-2006, 05:30 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Dancing with the bright Pixies at University of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
All the company need to do is go to the local police or sheriff's office and order the criminal background check. They can do a local, which basically includes the country, state or national. There are also services who offer background checks on line. The TBI (Tennessee Bureau of Investigation) now advertises that they will do background checks on anyone for a price. :? Some companies will hire felons after 5 years. Each company makes their own policies. The type of conviction makes a difference. There are a few which would make it difficult to get past the safety people. Drug convictions are especially difficult in a big truck.
Thats quite interesting GMAN, its totally different to the U.K where under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, you would not have to declare any "spent" convictions; Most offences are considered "spent" after 5 years. Its only for certain occupations where an employer could demand a disclosure.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Old 12-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Wot i life, I think there is way too much information available in the U.S. to anyone who wants it. Too many companies require a credit history before the will hire you or even insure you. Some insurance companies will not even quote you a rate until they pull a credit report. If someone has done their time and kept themselves out of trouble for several years, I see no need to not give them a chance. If we continue to hold every one's past over their head, then it could encourage the individual to revert back to previous criminal behavior. Everyone has to earn a living. I prefer seeing people earn it honestly. If someone continues with their criminal behavior, then I have no patience with them. How is the job working out?