User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Horse trailer ?: Please help a poor ignorant novelist....

I have the utmost respect for you guys--the thought of being behind the wheel of a big rig just melts my spine. Now I need your help, if you can indulge me. I'm a NJ writer, in the middle of a novel about a young horseback rider. I have her driving a big LQ 3 horse slant-load rig for the first time, and she is upset and flips the rig. My questions, because thank God I have never been and will never be in such a position, is what might cause such an accident (I am thinking I will have her cut off by a little sports car on wet roads) and MOSTLY, what it feels like to have a gooseneck go out of control? If the rig flips, does the tow vehicle automatically go with it? What might an inexperienced driver do under the circumstances? The more details anyone can give me, the better.

I understand that if anyone has ever had this happen to them, they might not want to talk about it, and I totally respect that. I am deeply grateful for any info you guys can send my way.

With utmost thanks,
Molly
Old 05-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Most common would be like you said, except the vehicle hits a soft shoulder, starts going over, and the person "overcorrects" to the left immediately flipping the vehicle.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:32 AM
Senior Board Member

There are a lot of possible scenerio's for such an event.

Weather, road conditions, the number of animals in the carrier, wildlife, and traffic all can contribute.

Say it is a dark day..with intermittant rain and heavy cross winds, a multi-lane roadway with medium to heavy traffic, and three nervous animals in the carrier. Prime conditions for setting up a flip.

You could have a bird (such as a sparrow) inside the carrier, fluttering around, causing 3 excitable animals to move about in their stalls (which leads to the driver having to struggle with both the throttle and the steering wheel to maintain control of the unit), while traveling under dark cloudy skies and high winds.
You could add moderate rain, which leads to the road surface becoming slick with rising oils, from pryor dry days and traffic. You can then add your sports car, driven with abandon, by just about any scenerio of individual, cutting the rig off, causing swerving by the driver, more movement off the animals, and the eventual flipping of the rig, and the rig sliding down the pavement and off the roadway.

Hey!!! I could write a novel!!!! 8) 8) 8)
Old 05-10-2008, 01:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
is what might cause such an accident (I am thinking I will have her cut off by a little sports car on wet roads) and MOSTLY, what it feels like to have a gooseneck go out of control? If the rig flips, does the tow vehicle automatically go with it?
The factors that lead to a "rollover" are
1. Excessive speed for conditions.
2. Centrifical Force
3. High center of gravity
4. Shifting of the weight caused by outside influence(s), which could include Centrifical Force.
In a 5th wheel type tractor/trailer the "tow vehicle" (I presume you refer to the Power unit or the tractor) would rollover with the trailer.

Quote:
What might an inexperienced driver do under the circumstances?
Do about what??? Preventing the rollover... :?
Old 05-10-2008, 02:16 AM
Rookie

You guys are wonderful. Thank you so much--and I especially appreciate your kindness towards a newbie! You all could be great novelists.

In terms of "what would an inexperienced driver do?" I guess I meant, how might she react? Obviously the rollover isn't going to be preventable (it can't be, or my plot is ruined. LOL). But what would it feel like? Would the wheel be jerked out of her hand, or would it feel like she might be able to control it? Would she be thrown against the side of the truck that went down? Would the trailer jackknife, or part of it come through the back of the cab? We are talking about a gooseneck trailer, the kind that attaches to a ball in the bed of the truck, which would probably be something along the lines of a Ford F350. I am guessing if she swerved hard and overcorrected to the left, the rig and truck would tip on the passenger side. I am just trying to envision worst possible scenarios, her getting out without too much injury but the trailer being destroyed and the horses injured. Horrible, I know. :sad: It's only fiction, though.

Now if you had to describe coming off a HORSE, that I could do easily! Have had lots of practice on that end. :?

Molly.[/url]
Old 05-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Senior Board Member

There are a few members on this board that raise/breed/show horses, not sure of all but "shyykatt", and I think "jayburd" may help you. You would have to get their attention on this board. They may not be looking into this post. You may want start a new thread with a subject of "horse and/or horse trailer" in the subject to get their attention, and link this thread to it in your text. Or, Maybe you can modify this thread title to include "horse" in its "subject".
Old 05-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Rookie

Thanks, Drew! Have modified the title accordingly.

Molly
Old 05-10-2008, 09:25 PM

I worked as a hunting guide before I became a trucker, but this happened at a place i worked. One of the guides was driving (Hwy 12 Idaho) the hoses just down the road from camp. Reached over to pick something off the passenger floor board and swerved and hit the shoulder. the trailer rolled off the road. It just peeled off the 5th wheel and rolled off the mountain. didn't effect the truck to much just peeled it off. He had to climb down there to open the door to let the horses out. a few where unhurt but three where hurt so bad he had to put then down. The one that was up front was in the goose neck storage part of the trailer. He went in there a cut 3 of their throats with a 4" pocket knife. I don't think he ever recovered from that experience. I don't think it would be as violent as one would think for the driver. The weak link is the 5th wheel. A few days after the DEC came had them drag the dead animals further from the side of the road so the bears wouldn't be attracted to the road way.
I also worked at a hunter/jumper barn in the off season. I know how much those people care about their animals and how much they spend on them. Most of the 3 horse trailers have a small tact room up front and they usually tie the lead to the inside of the trailer. Good luck on the book and send us the title when you get it to print.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:16 AM

I grew up around horses ... I've seen empty 4 horse straight load 5th wheel trailers (for a pickup truck) flip the truck over in a rollover type accident.

The accident that comes to mind was a stupid one, soft shoulder sucked the truck and trailer down into the ditch at about 10mph because the driver (not me) turned to the right, before making the left into the driveway for the barn, it was deep enough that it went down on it's side. No injuries, truck totaled, trailer needed a bit of minor welding and new paint.

--Dave.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Rookie

I owe you guys big time. That is a great description, ICS. I feel so bad for that guide. Also, very useful and interesting that the fifth wheel can just peel off--that is exactly the kind of scenario I was looking for.

I am guessing that as it went there would be a kind of lightness in the steering wheel--or with power steering would you even notice the difference in the weight you were pulling--or suddenly not pulling?

Here's a confession: I tow my horses in a little Brenderup with my Toyota Tacoma. It's a European style trailer and some people just blanch at the thought, but I have never had any trouble, touch wood. I drive like a granny when I'm hauling. I would never make a character in one of my books--way too chicken. :lol:

Molly