Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Women in Trucking (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/women-trucking-17/)
-   -   You Want to WHAT???? What made you decide to drive a truck? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/women-trucking/27552-you-want-what-what-made-you-decide-drive-truck.html)

Soladad 09-03-2007 11:44 PM

I went into driving after being widowed. My late husband was a driver for over 30 years OTR and O/O. Since I knew so much about trucking having helped him manage our business and spending some time with him out on the road, a friend suggested I go and get my CDL. I wasn't sure that I really wanted to drive but went into training. When the insurance money was running out I had to find a job. Driving has allowed me time to find myself again and figure out/find a new life. Driving filled the void loosing him and the life I knew. Now that I am closing in on my 2nd year of driving, I find that I am really enjoying the life of the road. The company I am with doesn't pay the highest for someone with 2 years but I am comfortable with the way the company operates so I stay with them. Don't know how long I will be traveling down the road but for the present I am enjoying seeing the country.

Soladad

Piece Of Work 09-05-2007 12:56 PM

I think most men hire on for the money, which makes them miserable. Some of you ladfies have great reasons for driving.

bluegrassdeb 09-05-2007 11:44 PM

LadyKatrina, don't let being femine detour you. Again, I think I mentioned it here on this message board I am very femine. I did hair for 30 yrs. I wish I could get my picture on here but the pixal thing is messed up. I got a new camera and plan on postin my picture on this. I'm not bragging, just want you to know that you don't have to look like a guy to drive a semi. I will say however, as a young girl I liked all the things the boys did. Playing with match box cars was my favorite. No hopscotch for me I wanted to play marbles and did and won alot. I used to love to play war with the boys too. I wasn't the nurse either. Point being don't let being a girly girl interfer with your boyly boy side. It's all cool. Who cares. If you end up doing something you enjoy who cares if anyone says you don't look like a trucker. I love it, actually embrace it when I hear it. It's all to fun!

wildkat 09-07-2007 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegrassdeb
LadyKatrina, don't let being femine detour you. Again, I think I mentioned it here on this message board I am very femine. I did hair for 30 yrs. I wish I could get my picture on here but the pixal thing is messed up. I got a new camera and plan on postin my picture on this. I'm not bragging, just want you to know that you don't have to look like a guy to drive a semi. I will say however, as a young girl I liked all the things the boys did. Playing with match box cars was my favorite. No hopscotch for me I wanted to play marbles and did and won alot. I used to love to play war with the boys too. I wasn't the nurse either. Point being don't let being a girly girl interfer with your boyly boy side. It's all cool. Who cares. If you end up doing something you enjoy who cares if anyone says you don't look like a trucker. I love it, actually embrace it when I hear it. It's all to fun!

Hear, hear deb! I've been at this nearly 30 years now, and somehow still manage to look like a lady. I am an owner/operator...long nosed Pete :D LOL. Still get those goofy looks when I drive into places & crawl out. I am afterall barely 5', long blonde hair, size 6. Posted my pic once & regretted it ever since...sheesh :( Anyway, my take on it is ALWAYS be a lady, ALWAYS be a pro. LIFE is better that way!