Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Trucking Schools (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-schools-31/)
-   -   Started school today at International Schools in Austin, TX (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/trucking-schools/21033-started-school-today-international-schools-austin-tx.html)

terrylamar 10-02-2006 11:29 PM

Started school today at International Schools in Austin, TX

I started my CDL school today. I had to take my physical first thing. I was worried about my BP. No problem. It was an easy day, just got a feel for the class, watched some videos and took some test. We will go to the DMV on Wed. to get out permits. I have been studying so I'm not worried about that. I'm glad I have access to this cite, there sure are a lot of misconceptions out there, especially from people that should know better. I'll push this forum.

terrylamar 10-07-2006 02:03 AM

Well, we finished up out first week. I passed all my endorsement first try. I haven't taken the Hazmat yet. I wanted to study a little bit more. We've had an interesting week. Our head instructor was fired. I don't want to get into any details online about this school. If you are interested PM me. I think it can only get better from now on.

terrylamar 10-09-2006 11:54 PM

Got to drive for the first time today. A Freightliner 9 speed. All we did was, hook up and straight line back. Piece of cake. More of the same for the rest of the week. We'll be out on the road tomorrow or later this week.

street_95 10-09-2006 11:56 PM

best of luck and continued success

terrylamar 10-10-2006 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by street_95:

Thanks, I was just posting nonsense to see what happened when I went over 100 post. I'm a Senior Trucker now :D

street_95 10-10-2006 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by terrylamar:

Originally Posted by street_95:

Thanks, I was just posting nonsense to see what happened when I went over 100 post. I'm a Senior Trucker now :D

get another 100 and you get to be super :lol:

starman5196 10-10-2006 09:03 PM

Where's this school at in Austin? i live in round Rock, just norht of Austin, and went all the way to Little Rock for my schooling. Is it fairly new?

terrylamar 10-10-2006 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by starman5196:
Where's this school at in Austin? i live in round Rock, just norht of Austin, and went all the way to Little Rock for my schooling. Is it fairly new?

It is not new, I don't know how long they have been here. The classes are offered through Austin Community College (ACC). Classroom time is at ACC off of Middle Fiskville, by Highland Mall and driving time is in the large parking lot at Reagan High School. I grew up in Round Rock. The old Round Rock, go Dragons!

starman5196 10-11-2006 11:56 PM

terry - I'm home in RR right now. first time in just over a month. Didn't realize that the school was affiliated with ACC. I talked to someone from there last year, but I think he's not there any longer. Believe his name was Bob.

Found out it's pretty hard to find a place to keep a truck in round Rock when you get home. Luckily, Chaparral Ice is letting me put it in there back parking lot for a few days. Have to move Friday though, they have an Icebats game Friday night and need the parking spaces back!!

terrylamar 10-12-2006 12:19 AM

terry - I'm home in RR right now. first time in just over a month. Didn't realize that the school was affiliated with ACC. I talked to someone from there last year, but I think he's not there any longer. Believe his name was Bob.

Found out it's pretty hard to find a place to keep a truck in round Rock when you get home. Luckily, Chaparral Ice is letting me put it in there back parking lot for a few days. Have to move Friday though, they have an Icebats game Friday night and need the parking spaces back!!

We might be able to work something out if you don't mind driving to Austin. I have a 2K sq. ft. commercial building. When I'm in town I'll be parking there. It will be awhile before this will happen, I have two RV's and a bunch of dogs I have to get rid of. PM me if you might be interested.

terrylamar 10-12-2006 03:00 AM

We did some more backing today and parallel parked for the first time. I drive a F350 Crew Cab pulling a 10' trailer all the time. This must help, I haven't had any pull-ups in straight line backing and only one in parallel parking. The course was already set up, one instructor stayed behind so I asked if I could practice on my own, I tried it with out it being shown or explained, of course I screwed up. The instructor then explained it to me and I've nailed in every time since. I got to go out on the road for the first time, today. Don't ask me about shifting... yet. Some of the other students in class are having problems with various skills, mainly straight line backing, yet when a truck is open they seem reluctant to drive. I've got a spring in my butt, anytime a truck is available I'll drive. I'll stay at lunch, I'll volunteer to help part the trucks at the end of the day, whatever it takes to get drive time.

starman5196 10-12-2006 03:08 AM

Isn't it a great feeling to get behind the wheel? I hope that feeling doesn't wear off as time and miles go by. I love being out on the road and seeing new things. Too many years stuck in HEB waiting on customers I guess.

Hope you have continued success with the training

terrylamar 10-12-2006 04:43 AM

Isn't it a great feeling to get behind the wheel? I hope that feeling doesn't wear off as time and miles go by. I love being out on the road and seeing new things. Too many years stuck in HEB waiting on customers I guess.

Hope you have continued success with the training

Thanks starman. I know you are leaving soon and I'm tied up in school and I'll be at a gunshow in Houstom this weekend or I'd invite you to a cup of coffee at Starbucks. I'll catch you one of these days.

starman5196 10-12-2006 07:56 PM

Keep me posted on your progress. Will be back in RR around Nov 10th or so. Who are you going to drive for?

terrylamar 10-12-2006 09:55 PM

Keep me posted on your progress. Will be back in RR around Nov 10th or so. Who are you going to drive for?

I have decided on TMC, Long Haul Division. I graduate October 28 and I might be in Iowa about that time. November 10th is my birthday, my Marine birthday, that is.

starman5196 10-13-2006 01:50 AM

Hmmmmmm - November in Iowa. Dress warn Texas boy. Your blood is waaaay to thin for that. I grew up in Iowa and Illinois but I don't think I could last up there any more. Been in wonderful Texas too long. Maybe we'll meet up there and have that cup of coffee

terrylamar 10-13-2006 01:54 AM

Hmmmmmm - November in Iowa. Dress warn Texas boy. Your blood is waaaay to thin for that. I grew up in Iowa and Illinois but I don't think I could last up there any more. Been in wonderful Texas too long. Maybe we'll meet up there and have that cup of coffee

That's where Headquarters is. I'm not going to live there!

starman5196 10-13-2006 02:02 AM

Won't you have to be up there for a little while for orientation? Aren't they based out of Des Moines? I like that area but it's even nicer along the Mississippi River - better fishing and 5 beautiful grand daughters live in the Quad City area. Makes it kinda special

terrylamar 10-13-2006 02:25 AM

Won't you have to be up there for a little while for orientation? Aren't they based out of Des Moines? I like that area but it's even nicer along the Mississippi River - better fishing and 5 beautiful grand daughters live in the Quad City area. Makes it kinda special

Yeah, I'll be there two weeks, then they send me back to Texas for six weeks with my trainer, afterwards I get my own truck. Grand Daughters, how old are you? I'm 50. I'm getting a late start in trucking. I don't think it will slow me down at all.

starman5196 10-13-2006 02:47 AM

Terry - I'll be 58 in a few weeks and just got into trucking myself. I've only had my own truck for a month now so I'm still learing too. Got to say that I'm enjoying my new career and it's making me feel like a youngster again - guess I was due for a change. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

dk132 10-13-2006 03:24 AM

I left Michigan When I was 10. 25 years ago. Been in central texas ever since. I do not look forward to being in the north in the winter but I know getting into trucking Im gonna see some snow again. layers its all about layers. Thats what my uncle use to say. :wink:

terrylamar 10-13-2006 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by dk132:

I left Michigan When I was 10. 25 years ago. Been in central texas ever since. I do not look forward to being in the north in the winter but I know getting into trucking Im gonna see some snow again. layers its all about layers. Thats what my uncle use to say. :wink:

Maybe I'll get nothing but Texas runs for the Winter months, yeah, right.

dk132 10-13-2006 03:47 AM

:lol: good luck with that. Cold front just got to my place. feels good for now.

starman5196 10-13-2006 04:03 AM

Early this week I was in Idaho where its already cooled down. Sure felt nice tonight here in austin. 92 for a high during the day and mid 50's tonight. Actually some rain yesterday. Maybe the year and a half drought is about over. My wife couldn't believe I needed to find a heavy jacket while I was home. Kinda hard to find one in Texas.
:lol:

terrylamar 10-13-2006 04:19 AM

Early this week I was in Idaho where its already cooled down. Sure felt nice tonight here in austin. 92 for a high during the day and mid 50's tonight. Actually some rain yesterday. Maybe the year and a half drought is about over. My wife couldn't believe I needed to find a heavy jacket while I was home. Kinda hard to find one in Texas.
:lol:

I am assuming you already found one, if not, Sportsman Warehouse in Round Rock carries a full line of Carhartt. They make some pretty good coats. They came highly recommended on this board. They are cheaper than retail also.

starman5196 10-13-2006 03:03 PM

Thanks for the info. Will go there today and see what they have.

dk132 10-13-2006 03:27 PM

Me too. Wish they had one south austin.

jerryh987 10-13-2006 03:43 PM

yea be sure to check out the school before you commit...could turn into a lifetime of misery....

dk132 10-13-2006 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by jerryh987:
yea be sure to check out the school before you commit...could turn into a lifetime of misery....

If they will have me im going to maverick. Checked them out thuroughly. Herd nothing but good things.

starman5196 10-13-2006 09:22 PM

Seems like everybody is going into flatbeds - doesn't anyone like reefers? it's great hearing them go off and on all night long. Hauled a dry load last week and couldn't get used to not hearing any noise. didn't have to tarp it though :lol: :lol:

terrylamar 10-13-2006 09:50 PM

starman5196 and dk132 did you have a chance to check out Sportsman Warehouse? I hope you didn't clean out the coveralls, I still need to pick up a pair.

starman5196 10-13-2006 10:07 PM

didn't get there today. Have to leave in the AM tomorrow, go to Dallas for a p/u and deliver in Moberly, Mo. Monday afternoon so I guess whatever jacket I can find at the house will have to do. :roll:

Mtc_Is_Hell 10-13-2006 10:14 PM

Some of the other students in class are having problems with various skills, mainly straight line backing, yet when a truck is open they seem reluctant to drive. I've got a spring in my butt, anytime a truck is available I'll drive. I'll stay at lunch, I'll volunteer to help part the trucks at the end of the day, whatever it takes to get drive time.

I did very well at mtc, yet I only did the a few of each, 4 straight lines back, 45 degree dock 3 and both paralels 3 each, I have time to do alot more but I thought it was gay. I'm at the point now after being on the road 3 weeks I can do the 45 degree with no pull ups, used to need one or two but started using a different set up the other day.

dk132 10-14-2006 12:54 AM

starman5196 and dk132 did you have a chance to check out Sportsman Warehouse? I hope you didn't clean out the coveralls, I still need to pick up a pair.

I didnt make it either Fridays are horable for me not to mention traffic. Im going to wait til monday

starman5196 10-14-2006 01:38 AM

why don't you pick one up for me and you can deliver it - it will give you practice driving. I have no idea where I'll be after Monday, but I know I deliver at Wal-Mart in Moberly Missouri at 5:30 PM if you want to run up there with a coat for me. :lol:

dk132 10-14-2006 02:03 AM

why don't you pick one up for me and you can deliver it - it will give you practice driving. I have no idea where I'll be after Monday, but I know I deliver at Wal-Mart in Moberly Missouri at 5:30 PM if you want to run up there with a coat for me. :lol:

I dont think I need any practice driving my car. I would be happy to deliver a coat for you if I can barrow a truck. lol. Drive safe.

terrylamar 10-14-2006 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by dk132:

I didnt make it either Fridays are horable for me not to mention traffic. Im going to wait til monday

dk132, you might want to check out Cabelas first. Their website says they carry Carhartt. The one time I was in there, I was not looking for a coat.

dk132 10-14-2006 01:53 PM

Cabelas is closer to my house. But I think they might be more exspensive . Academy also carries Carhart but they have a small selection. My brother told me that therei s a sportsmans warehouse in San Antonio thats not to far from my house we might go check it out today.

terrylamar 10-28-2006 10:38 PM

I graduated yesterday, finally. I was a long four weeks. I still don't think I had enough driving time. Despite that I seem to drive OK. Two classes from now this school will have 30 some odd students, I don't know how they will cope with that. Somehow I managed to pass all my test on the first try. I had the highest GPA, but out of nine students that's not saying much. They gave me a copy of my DAC, of course nothing is on it. I told them the school needs to report on the completion of Truck Driving School. Let's see if they do it or not. Anyway, I have to close up shop here then I will be heading for orientation at TMC in one or two weeks. Wish me luck.

dk132 10-29-2006 03:25 AM

Good luck sounds like your doing good .