Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Maintenance (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance-26/)
-   -   Constantly blowing tires (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance/33609-constantly-blowing-tires.html)

Double L 04-24-2008 01:24 AM

I wish you the best of luck!

Bobby 04-24-2008 01:36 AM

Yes, an enclosed tire with the lack of air flow isn't good. You might be able to do some research on acceptable tire temps for this type tire and load.

Isn't your Buick a V6 ?

BuickTurbo 04-24-2008 01:41 AM

http://www.texasstreetcars.com/viewtopic.php?t=953

Here's the link.

I have been trying to rebuild and refurbish that trailer since I hired on. We have a tight budget if you can fathom that. I can only do so much as the season is busy for me. Once in the off-season, she will be done right.

The red trailer is completely decked out in stainless inside. Satellite tv, internet, and streaming race data from the car. It also has an office inside.

It's pretty, but it only holds 2 cars.....mine holds 4 and we're there to race.

Yep....just a little V6. :lol:

solo379 04-24-2008 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuickTurbo
Is it best practice to bleed the tires back down to cold pressure after a couple of hours driving?

Yes,..... if you want it to keep blowing. :wink:
Rated pressure, is the cold pressure only! You might need some readjustment tho, when seasonal temperature is changing (winter- summer).

BuickTurbo 04-24-2008 02:34 AM

Yeah...about the bleeding.

I contacted my old shop foreman and he read me the riot act about not touching a hot tire, unless it needed air after a cool down.

I was just curious as we do hot tire bleeding on our racecars. I KNOW...two completely different animals.

special k 04-25-2008 01:47 AM

I run 12/80R22.5's on my trailer singled out like yours. Our axle weight is around 13000 lbs. I run 16 ply Bridgestone R250's and don't have any issues. You could go to a 315/80R22.5 on a 9" wide rim or there is a actual coach wheel and rim that a lot of guys are running on their front axles. The tire is a Michelin XZE 365/70R22.5 and the rim is around 10" wide. Those last two sizes are good for about 16,000 to 18,000 lbs per axle.

BuickTurbo 04-25-2008 01:50 AM

Thanks for the info.

I cut the fender bolsters off the trailer today to open up the wheel wells. Hopefully this will let the area breathe a little more.

roadranger 04-27-2008 03:26 AM

The tire manufacturer should have a chart of proper air pressure for the actual load you have (once you get her scaled). For general use we usually run a fixed (high) pressure since it is too much trouble to set the pressure differently with different loads but in your case you should be able to set them for your actual weight and get better ride and wear from them. Also check to see if you can use 11R22.5's instead as I think the 12's generally have a lower speed rating and run hotter? Plus the 11's are the most common size. Four 11's are only good for about 24k total though - but it sounds like you are under that? For sure go through a truckstop scale and see where you are at on axle weights!

roadranger 04-27-2008 03:37 AM

Re: Constantly blowing tires

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuickTurbo
...about 36k loaded. [...] So the tires allow about 30k total, my guess is it's overweight. Is 6K lbs enough to constantly blow rubber?

Almost half your weight should be on the hitch and not on the trailer axles if you are using a fifth wheel hitch and a single axle dually tractor with at least a 20k rear - so you should only have about 20k on the trailer tandems!

DaveFromColorado 04-27-2008 02:39 PM

I knew someone that had this issue with an old 50' race trailer - he got tired of spending tons of money on tires and had a "friend of a friend" with an alignment shop check the alignment of the two axles to one another and found they were a couple degrees off, this caused some scrubbing of the tires which increased the heat a LOT ...

may not be the actual issue, but something to look into ... I don't know if the tires were ever "cupped" or not.

--Dave.