Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Maintenance (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance-26/)
-   -   Synthetic vs Petroleum (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-maintenance/2784-synthetic-vs-petroleum.html)

grease monkey 02-24-2004 03:58 AM

Synthetic vs Petroleum

I'm a firm believer in synthetic oils, I use them regularly in all of our transmissions and differentials. they tend to withstand heat better and exhibit less viscosity breakdown. You can also go for longer periods between change intervals.

I'm just curious what everyone's thoughts are on using synthetics in the engines. I find it hard to justify that sort of expense, because engine oils are typically changed every 10,000 to 20,000 miles (depending on your fleet standards and truck application) Granted, you can get an extended enterval with the synthetic, but only an extra 10,000 miles maybe.

Do any of you think its worth the extra cost?

solo379 02-24-2004 01:51 PM

I'm in a total agreement with you on this one! :) Sintetics is a MUST, for tranny and axles. But not worth an effort on engine. I know, some large fleets using it, with 60,000 oil change interval, but than again, i wouldn't recomend those trucks. :D

grease monkey 02-27-2004 02:34 AM

Even for a senthetic, 60k is A LOT of miles to go between oil changes. I sure hope they inspect the rest of the truck between those at some point!!!

solo379 02-27-2004 02:42 AM

Nah.. they'll just trade it at the point the trouble gonna starts. :sad: And than some poor fella gonna buy it from "Select trucks" :evil: They not gonna keep it for long, why would they care!? :x

03-03-2004 12:57 AM

I dont mind senthetics for the reas and the axles but give me the petrol oil for my motors between oil changes

ksgreenmch 03-03-2004 01:05 AM

I'm in agreement with solo on this one. Senthitics are ok for rear ends and transmissions but give me my hi-grade oil for my engins to burn out there on the highways and make it Shell Rotella 15-40 or Mobil oil 15-40 weight oils for the road

icedad 03-11-2004 02:46 AM

I've used synthetic oil in all of my trucks since 1988. In the older engines, you'll get less smoke and pollution and less curious cops. You'll have less carbon buildup, less wear on your bearings and cylinder walls, since synthetic oil always leaves a film. Your motor will run cooler and start easier in the winter because synthetic oil will not thicken like reg motor oil. You'll never have a dry startup then, because of the film.
Plus, I have gotten an extra 1/2 mile to the gallon. On reg Rotella, I would change my oil every 10,000 miles. With Amsoil, I change my oil every 30,000 and my filter every 10,000. I send a oil sample in to Cat every so often and have never had a bad report.
If running synthetic oil in your motor makes you feel uneasy, why does every ship, and every airline use it their engines?
NO, I'm not a salesman for Amsoil, I just like the product.

icedad 03-11-2004 02:56 AM

HHmmmm..... 108 views and only 7 have voted? They couldn't be afraid now, could they?

jteamomaha 03-22-2004 04:42 AM

Amsoil Synthetic.....

Have been a faithful user of Amsoil Synthetic even in my cars. As soon as they have 6,000 to 8,000 mi. on them, they're switched to Amsoil. The company I used to drive for has used it in their fleet for nearly 20 years. It can't be beat, blows Mobil I off the charts for lubrication.

todd 04-27-2004 02:55 PM

synthetic

OK, so what weight synthetics do you use in your rear ends and trannys?