Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Tanker info for y'all... (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/7031-tanker-info-yall.html)

tater259 10-12-2007 12:49 AM

looking to start with Schneider bulk very soon with in the end of the year or sooner.
Got a few questions though before I even apply maybe you all can help.

1. Will they take a person with points for speeding on my record? I have 3 points but considering taking that class to erase points if I have to.

2. How long is the average time spent with trainer before going to my own truck??

3. Dont wanna over whelm myself by going to CDL school with schnider or do it on my own before hand. DOnt wanna be overloaded with info that way I can maximize my learning.

4. What is starting pay per mile??

5. Whats the millage per week on avg?

Baby Bullseye 10-12-2007 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tater259
looking to start with Schneider bulk very soon with in the end of the year or sooner.

1. Will they take a person with points for speeding on my record? I have 3 points but considering taking that class to erase points if I have to.

2. How long is the average time spent with trainer before going to my own truck??

3. Dont wanna over whelm myself by going to CDL school with schnider or do it on my own before hand. DOnt wanna be overloaded with info that way I can maximize my learning.

4. What is starting pay per mile??

5. Whats the millage per week on avg?

Sorry I don't know anything about Schneider. But what i would suggest think long and hard about signing on to a contract for a year and with them if you don't pass thier school or last a yearwith them you have to pay for school. Well anyways good luck

tater259 10-12-2007 02:03 AM

Sorry I don't know anything about Schneider. But what i would suggest think long and hard about signing on to a contract for a year and with them if you don't pass thier school or last a yearwith them you have to pay for school. Well anyways good luck[/quote]

thats why I wanna attend my own training but cant really afford to loose a few weeks with no pay due to car payment and insurance. But I wanna go to school on my own dime wait a few weeks and then apply. That way my mind will be fresh for the training with my TE and Schneider's orientation.

rcpilot 10-12-2007 07:43 AM

Quote:

If you already have a CDL then you can no longer take driving school to erase the points....

ROCKYROAD 10-12-2007 04:08 PM

WHO IS THEIR LABORATORY???

A WEEK TO GET RESULTS FOR A PEE TEST...... I about peed again when they told me it takes a week to get the results. I could have had my training done in the time it takes them to get a drug screen.

Other than that I am done with all the pre-hire stuff. The drivers I met at the yard are a great bunch. Best thing - they all looked happy and LIKED THEIR JOBS.

I am feeling quite positive about this move. I am sick of driver's tests, and orientation programs.

I should have offered to pay for EXPEDITED shipping and analysis of my sample :wink:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyanide
Suspense is just killing y'all ain't it...

But I'm not telling just yet!!! :P

Anyway, while y'all wait patiently here's another quick update...

Week 39
-Markham, IL to Janesville, WI (live load)
-Janesville, WI to Markham, IL (drop loaded tank, hook clean tank)
-----Markham, IL to Kankakee, IL (live load)
-----Kankakee, IL to Jacksonville, FL (drop loaded tank, time off)
Gross: $648.12
Miles: 1,296
Avg.: .50/mile

Superior Carriers, 2007 Totals:
Gross: $38,774.27 (.580/mile)
Miles: 66,828
Hours: 856.50 (All non-driving hourly pay)
Hazmat Loads: 19
Days Working: 195
Days Off: 83
*Totals calculated up to September 30, 2007*

Skywalker 10-13-2007 02:29 AM

Re: WHO IS THEIR LABORATORY???

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROCKYROAD
A WEEK TO GET RESULTS FOR A PEE TEST...... I about peed again when they told me it takes a week to get the results. I could have had my training done in the time it takes them to get a drug screen.

Other than that I am done with all the pre-hire stuff. The drivers I met at the yard are a great bunch. Best thing - they all looked happy and LIKED THEIR JOBS.

I am feeling quite positive about this move. I am sick of driver's tests, and orientation programs.

I should have offered to pay for EXPEDITED shipping and analysis of my sample :wink:

While some terminals may be slow in handling certain things.... it is worth the wait and remember "Delayed Gratification" is far better than immediate gratification.....
8)

mike3fan 10-13-2007 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker
and remember "Delayed Gratification" is far better than immediate gratification.....
8)

pfffft,"I got mine what where you waiting for?"

Baby Bullseye 10-16-2007 03:30 PM

Quote:

"Delayed Gratification" is far better than immediate gratification.....
8)

Now that all depends on what you are talking about

Baby Bullseye 10-16-2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Sorry I don't know anything about Schneider. But what i would suggest think long and hard about signing on to a contract for a year and with them if you don't pass thier school or last a yearwith them you have to pay for school. Well anyways good luck

thats why I wanna attend my own training but cant really afford to loose a few weeks with no pay due to car payment and insurance. But I wanna go to school on my own dime wait a few weeks and then apply. That way my mind will be fresh for the training with my TE and Schneider's orientation.[/quote]

well I wish you the best. I wish I could be more help but I am at a los

JustPassinThru 10-16-2007 04:07 PM

How ya' doin' Baby Bullseye?

I was wondering, what kind of engine & transmission does Carry spec in their trucks? Are they all Internationals?

Hope you've had a good profitable week.

Thanks for your replies.

evertruckerr 10-16-2007 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin
I met a Canadian O/O tanker hauler from Mississuaga this week. He runs very hard (his words) and clears about $10,000 a month. A lot of empty miles (due in part to being from Canada, no doubt). He was under a load from ON, Longview, WA. Then he was headed to Central CA for orange juice back to ON. His current load from ON to Longview paid $3.00 per mile... I would look into food grade if I ever went back out long haul. I like no touch freight. But the little trucks is not cool. I'm 6'5" and it's bad times in a mid roof or smaller.

As long as we're posting pics of trucks:

http://www.millerphotos.net/truck.jpg

Is that Canadian or US dollars? There is quite a difference in pay if you compare Canadian dollars to US. I don't know what the exchange rate is at this point but last time I checked $1. Canadian was equal to $.64 US. 8)

I had to pull this up from a 2005 post, OH how things have changed :o

Baby Bullseye 10-16-2007 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustPassinThru
How ya' doin' Baby Bullseye?

I was wondering, what kind of engine & transmission does Carry spec in their trucks? Are they all Internationals?

Hope you've had a good profitable week.

Thanks for your replies.

Well our trucks are Internationals, as far as I know those are the fleet trucks if there are other types of trucks I am unawere of them. The engines are cummins. and I am clueless. We have the same trucks as Superior.

As for a profitable week I am running a load to Selah Wa. and then dropping the daycab and tank at portland Or. Every night in a hotel all line 4 time is paid, besides for little problems here and there it is a great week and should be very profitable.

I hope you have a lovely week. Have fun and be safe.

Cyanide 10-17-2007 07:13 PM

Superior Bulk Logistics trucks...

-International 9200.
-Cummins ISM, 410 hp, 1,450 ft. lb. torque (older trucks are 330-370 hp).
-Spicer 10 speed transmission (older trucks have Meritor).
-3.90 Gear ratio.
-51" Midroof, single bunk sleeper.
-65 mph on cruise, 67 mph on pedal.
-Power locks, power windows, power mirrors, heated mirrors, AM/FM/CD player, pre-wired for cb, Qualcomm or Aether satellite communications, fixed fifth wheel, 209" wheelbase (older trucks have manual locks, passenger side power window, AM/FM/Cassette).
-PTO shaft driven air compressor and product pump (Superior Carriers); Hydra Pack product pump (Carry Transit).
-Frame mounted box for fittings and caps.
-No hose rack (hoses are carried on tanks).
-PrePass.
-I Pass/EZ Pass.
-Toll cards for IN and OH (Superior Carriers).

Cyanide 10-17-2007 07:26 PM

My final post with Superior Carriers...

Week 40
-Jacksonville, FL (hook clean tank)
-Jacksonville, FL to Garden City, GA (drop clean tank)
-----Garden City, GA (local work, hook preloaded tank)
-Garden City, GA to Knoxville, TN (driver unload with customer air)
-Knoxville, TN to Garden City, GA (drop dirty tank, wash fittings)
-----Garden City, GA (local work)
Gross: $834.63
Miles: 1,161
Avg.: .718/mile

Superior Carriers, 2007 Totals:
Gross: $39,608.90 (.582/mile)
Miles: 67,989
Hours: 887.00 (All non-driving and local hourly pay)
Hazmat Loads: 20
Days Working: 201
Days Off: 84
*Totals calculated up to October 07, 2007*

:wink:

rcpilot 10-17-2007 08:02 PM

Quote:

:wink:

That should tell a bit about the saga in the other post :shock:

sooundman11568 10-17-2007 09:29 PM

so i guess your going back to food grade .[/code]

Skywalker 10-18-2007 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sooundman11568
so i guess your going back to food grade .[/code]

Wrong. :mrgreen:

mike3fan 10-18-2007 01:50 AM

Quote:

It's good to be a pimp!

mudpuddle 10-18-2007 02:00 AM

Cyanide bought a 1988 Pete 377. He will start his new job hauling banana containers out of DE on Monday morning.

Whose pimpin now??? 8) 8) 8)

Skywalker 10-18-2007 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudpuddle
Cyanide bought a 1988 Pete 377. He will start his new job hauling banana containers out of DE on Monday morning.

Whose pimpin now??? 8) 8) 8)

:moose: :moose: :moose: :party: :party: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: GOOD ONE!!! I wonder if I can get him to catch a tarantula or three for me? 8) He be pimpin'?? :shock:

Orangetxguy 10-18-2007 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "Baby Bullseye
As for a profitable week I am running a load to Selah Wa. and then dropping the daycab and tank at portland Or. Every night in a hotel all line 4 time is paid, besides for little problems here and there it is a great week and should be very profitable.

I hope you have a lovely week. Have fun and be safe.[/color]

Mmmmmmmmmm....Selah should be smelling pretty good about now...Tree Top aught to be in high gear makin apple juice and apple sauces there.

Sparks280zt 10-19-2007 03:41 AM

Haha I like the very first post where he says tanker drivers never have to worry about being overweight, lol, I wish!

mike3fan 10-19-2007 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparks280zt
Haha I like the very first post where he says tanker drivers never have to worry about being overweight, lol, I wish!

Yeah I laugh at that too.

Baby Bullseye 10-19-2007 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Quote:

Originally Posted by "Baby Bullseye

I hope you have a lovely week. Have fun and be safe.[/color]

Mmmmmmmmmm....Selah should be smelling pretty good about now...Tree Top aught to be in high gear makin apple juice and apple sauces there.

yeah it did there were apples everywere

Cyanide 10-19-2007 03:37 PM

Y'all can laugh if you want, but in all the time I've run tankers between chemicals and food-grade, I have never once ran with an overweight load. Might just be the company you are working for! Hell even with that scumbag outfit Indian River everything was kept legal concerning gross weight. Can't say that about other things though... :shock: :roll: :lol: [/b]

Skywalker 10-20-2007 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparks280zt

I've only had one load that was over-weight. It wasn't over gross, it just exceeded axle weights, and it got corrected before I left. We don't move a load if it isn't right. :shock: 8)

rcpilot 10-20-2007 02:11 AM

I only had one overweight... cuz the loader "thought" I could hold 50,000 lbs. as we usually can, however I had an older trailer that weighed more.. I ask the idiot why he did'nt look at my in scale before loading :shock:

Skywalker 10-20-2007 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcpilot
I only had one overweight... cuz the loader "thought" I could hold 50,000 lbs. as we usually can, however I had an older trailer that weighed more.. I ask the idiot why he did'nt look at my in scale before loading :shock:

I know what you mean. I went and loaded at the same place....and found out that the guy that overloaded me.....is no longer employed there. Seems he had trouble reading a "strapping chart".... :shock: :shock: Oh well.

mbadriver 10-20-2007 03:20 PM

STARTING WITH SUPERIOR - WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT???

Hi Superior Drivers:

I am starting with Superior next week. I got a year OTR experience with dry van. I know some tanker basics from previous jobs.

Can you tell me what to expect during my first week(s) training? I feel like I am going into this blind. Any info - or rough "schedule of events" would be appreciated.

Thanks,
mbadriver

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcpilot

I know what you mean. I went and loaded at the same place....and found out that the guy that overloaded me.....is no longer employed there. Seems he had trouble reading a "strapping chart".... :shock: :shock: Oh well.

Skywalker 10-21-2007 01:57 AM

I replied to your email... 8)

Double L 11-11-2007 08:19 AM

I'm not new to trucking but gonna be getting my CDL with tank endorsement when I turn 18 (July). I sorta got a prehire, the company is Shipman Elevator Company out of Shipman, Illinois. They said I would be hauling/pulling NH3 nurse tanks. The guy (Bart) told me I'd need all endorsements but said I couldn't get my hazmat until I'm 21. So I'm thinking they are gonna work with me, they said they hire people between 18 and under 21. My question is what exactly is a NH3 nurse tank? I looked it up online and I'm assuming it's some type of fertilizer? I don't know why but pulling a tanker really appeals to me, I'm a severe asthmatic with a lung condition so I guess it's the easy work that appeals to me.

mike3fan 11-11-2007 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double L
I'm not new to trucking but gonna be getting my CDL with tank endorsement when I turn 18 (July). I sorta got a prehire, the company is Shipman Elevator Company out of Shipman, Illinois. They said I would be hauling/pulling NH3 nurse tanks. The guy (Bart) told me I'd need all endorsements but said I couldn't get my hazmat until I'm 21. So I'm thinking they are gonna work with me, they said they hire people between 18 and under 21. My question is what exactly is a NH3 nurse tank? I looked it up online and I'm assuming it's some type of fertilizer? I don't know why but pulling a tanker really appeals to me, I'm a severe asthmatic with a lung condition so I guess it's the easy work that appeals to me.

If I remember correctly from my fertilizer days,N3 is a liquid non hazardous fertilizer that is sorta green in color and oily to the touch,I think if I recall it is mostly used on corn but not sure on that.A nurse tank is about a 1,000 gal tank used to ship small quantites to farmers and then they can hook the tank up to their tractor and pull it thru the field appling product.

hamboner 11-11-2007 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3fan
Quote:

If I remember correctly from my fertilizer days,N3 is a liquid non hazardous fertilizer that is sorta green in color and oily to the touch,I think if I recall it is mostly used on corn but not sure on that.A nurse tank is about a 1,000 gal tank used to ship small quantites to farmers and then they can hook the tank up to their tractor and pull it thru the field appling product.

I think that would be anhydrous ammonium.

mike3fan 11-11-2007 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamboner
Quote:

Quote:

anhydrous ammonia is Hazardous and he could not haul it at 18

Trapper 11-11-2007 07:50 PM

I believe NH3 is liquid nitrogen not anhydrous. Farmers use it for spraying their crops or when planting. Ask the company if it's also called 28. As far as the nurse tanks what I used to pull was 1000 gal tanks to different farms or fields. The farmers then pumped the product into their own sprayers and applied it. The tanks may also be mounted on trucks as well and the company you work for may custom spray for farmers so you'll be hauling to the guys running the sprayers.

Double L 11-11-2007 09:10 PM

Thanks alot guys! Well the guy said NH3 so if it's in small enough quanity it's not considered hazmat right? I just thought about something, if it's from the elevator to farms, would this make me exempt from needing a CDL??? A friend told me anything under 1,001lbs wasn't considered hazmat but since 9/11 things have changed so what would it be now? I never planned on getting my hazmat because of the background checks so I never really cared about it too much. I was browsing through the Illinois DOT site and came upon this: http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/...10000220R.html

mbadriver 11-14-2007 12:04 AM

How old was Tim McViegh when he hauled that load of anhydrous ammonia down to Oklahoma City?

Quote:

anhydrous ammonia is Hazardous and he could not haul it at 18[/quote]

hamboner 11-14-2007 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbadriver
How old was Tim McViegh when he hauled that load of anhydrous ammonia down to Oklahoma City?

Quote:

anhydrous ammonia is Hazardous and he could not haul it at 18

[/quote]

Tim McViegh hauled ammonium nitrate and diesel in a u haul which he later detonated in the basement. I have seen a coffee can mixture of the two detonated and it was extremely powerful.....could imagine a u-haul full of it.

pronghornracer 06-17-2008 02:13 AM

I have a tanker question;
are there any tanker companies out there that
have auto-shift/ semi auto shift with a clutch?

pronghornracer

Skywalker 06-17-2008 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pronghornracer
I have a tanker question;
are there any tanker companies out there that
have auto-shift/ semi auto shift with a clutch?

pronghornracer

I'm not sure...but I think "CTL" does....