Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   North Dakota Driving Jobs (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/41476-north-dakota-driving-jobs.html)

chain binder 07-07-2011 07:52 PM

North Dakota Driving Jobs

I saw an article on T.V the other night about the driver shortage in North Dakota. They need drivers in the oilfield. A water truck driver makes an average of $90,000 a year. The main problems they have of keeping drivers is the housing shortage and winter.If you need a job,head north.
I personally will eep my little self empoyed job and be happy.:lol::lol::lol:

Justruckin 07-07-2011 08:51 PM

Chain, I'm up here right now pulling water. The stories are true and we need drivers. We have housing and more work than you can shake a stick at. And the money is nuts... Currently the state of North Dakota is running a 1.5% unemployment rate and needs workers with construction, heavy equipment, CDLs, concrete, etc. Starting pay for most all of these positions is roughly $70,000.00 +++ a year.

Myself, I am having a ball, this has to be the best driving job I have ever had. Sure, the hours are long, averaging 100 hours a week right now and paid by the hour, time and a half after 40. Starting pay is normally $20 an hour to $25 an hour, you do the math. But all we do is drive around in a big circle all day, roughly a 100 mile radius, maybe make two rounds and go home unless we are moving fresh water. It is by far the easiest money I have ever made driving a truck.

If any of you guys are interested in coming up here PM me for more info, as we are putting on more trucks.

miron 07-13-2011 10:57 PM

Hello there .. I'm getting there soon , this week and would like to know some info hauling water truck driving position ..
Do u work on company truck ? Is there still position currently available ? company provide housing ? Any info will help alot !

Thanks !!!

Justruckin 07-14-2011 12:21 PM

Miron,

The outfit I work for has housing, they charge you $30 a month for utilities, water, heat, air, cable and internet. We live in Minot and work all points West. Starting pay is $20 an hour for the first 40 hours and then $30 an hour time and a half there after. We pay every two weeks, and I average roughly 175 - 190 hours + or - in that two week period. Do the math, 80 hours straight time ($20) and roughly 100 hours time and a half ($30). It is the easiest money I have ever made driving truck.

Call my Pusher, his name is Steve and does all of the hiring. And we are in serious need of drivers right now, give him a call @ (970) 773-3997

One thing though, the hours are long, and you will need to work a minimum of 3 weeks to get one full week off. We work two shifts, 20 on and 20 off 7 days a week. This is easy work, but most guys cannot handle the hours or being away from home. I'm well into my second month here with no time off. It is what it is, and what it is is fantastic money for the actual work. Oh, and we offer nothing, no bennies, just lots and lots of hours, CA CHING!

What you need to bring, steel toed work boots, at least 6 inches tall. Steel toed Muck Chore Boots, they can be bought up here for $109.00. A hard hat with an OSHA approved non combustible headlamp. You will also need rain gear, I recommend the Carhart heavy duty rain suit, as it is well suited to the work up here. Also a good set of coveralls to wear when greasing the trucks, and yes you have to crawl under the trucks to greas the drivelines. Other than that, jeans and t-shirts are the uniform of the day. Also bring a good hoody or heavy duty sweat shirt, as it does get cold at night here.

Hope this helps!

Mike

husband/wife team 08-20-2011 01:01 AM

justruckin, Do you know if your company hires/leases on owner operators? I have talked with some companies that are saying no o/o's right now, just company drivers. Yet I've talked to several people from that area that say they can't keep drivers, they leave as fast as they come. But that o/o's tend to stay longer cause they make more $$. Yet the companies are hiring less of them cause of sharing the wealth.

Any way do u know of any companies that are hiring owner ops right now?, Thanks look forward to hearing from you.

firebird_1252 08-20-2011 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husband/wife team (Post 501926)
justruckin, Do you know if your company hires/leases on owner operators? I have talked with some companies that are saying no o/o's right now, just company drivers. Yet I've talked to several people from that area that say they can't keep drivers, they leave as fast as they come. But that o/o's tend to stay longer cause they make more $$. Yet the companies are hiring less of them cause of sharing the wealth.

Any way do u know of any companies that are hiring owner ops right now?, Thanks look forward to hearing from you.

funny i was looking in to the same thing. just dont know how to go about it. i hear they are looking for bulk tanker drivers, belly dump and flatbeds?

husband/wife team 08-20-2011 09:46 PM

hi firebird, ya they aren't easy to find, the big ones, missouri basin and others, called them and no o/o's right NOW, wt? don't get it, what is the problem. found lots of info, just not hearing actual hiring for owners right now. plenty of company driver jobs out there. We are a team and want to work 24/7, workin our asses off. Most the over $100 a hr jobs are bring your own tank, vac pump etc. if they are even taking on o/o now. most aren't. Some say check back next month, or go ahead and send in app. Seems to me that there ought to be some people out there that know that their company is hiring o/o right now. and if they will lease u tank or run there tank for less $, but seems nobody's talkin or its a big secret. then again may just be not NOW. we aren't giving up. thinking about placing an ad up there. surely there are companies out there that want a team that wants to work their butts off, and we already live in our truck, don't need housing, just showers, plus since we wouldn't be tied down to renting, we are very mobile to go to different sites as needed instead of stationary with a place to live. I've searched internet like crazy and calling too. frustration is setting in. Any info is a good thing. if u run into anything let me know will ya? most of my info started on the other trucking forum, tr--kers rep-rt, good info but no sure jobs, most of them are not hiring o/o right now. Good luck, keep in touch

firebird_1252 08-20-2011 11:05 PM

see, i've heard that in tx and ND they are looking for o/o's. what i was TOLD and we all know how that info works, is that you get $65 an hour to sit on the oil fields. When ever you are loaded you get $4 a loaded mile and $1 mile unloaded. now from what i was told, is that sometimes you can sit on the field for a few hours.. then sit for a few days up to a week and not move but you must be on call. what i was thinking is 7 days on, 7 off. i would fly back home and get someone else sit in the truck. get a nice T800 or T600 with a stuido sleeper and be done with it.

Orangetxguy 08-21-2011 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebird_1252 (Post 501990)
see, i've heard that in tx and ND they are looking for o/o's. what i was TOLD and we all know how that info works, is that you get $65 an hour to sit on the oil fields. When ever you are loaded you get $4 a loaded mile and $1 mile unloaded. now from what i was told, is that sometimes you can sit on the field for a few hours.. then sit for a few days up to a week and not move but you must be on call. what i was thinking is 7 days on, 7 off. i would fly back home and get someone else sit in the truck. get a nice T800 or T600 with a stuido sleeper and be done with it.

Unless you have a very reliable friend to swap out with you......Your thinking would be better to look at 3 weeks on....1 off. Otherwise....you might come back to find out your truck migrated to Mexico.

There are plenty of these service companies that are hiring O/O's. There are some guys that are making big bucks. Some guys that are making little bucks. But the majority are getting shafted.

mitchno1 08-21-2011 06:48 AM

haha like it good reply

firebird_1252 08-21-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 502025)
Unless you have a very reliable friend to swap out with you......Your thinking would be better to look at 3 weeks on....1 off. Otherwise....you might come back to find out your truck migrated to Mexico.

There are plenty of these service companies that are hiring O/O's. There are some guys that are making big bucks. Some guys that are making little bucks. But the majority are getting shafted.

i have very good friends that would do this no problem. what i am worried about is getting shafted by the company. just got to figure out how to get in to this.

Justruckin 08-22-2011 06:57 PM

Check these out...

Look up Deer Valley Deer Valley Trucking Inc. | Idaho Falls, ID – Williston, ND

Cascade (don't have a link) they haul water and handle the frac tanks.

Gold Spur out of Minot has lease ops.

Also Wylie Bice, heard good things about them.

Also, check the classifieds out in this link, allot of jobs listed with contact info. The Shopper, Inc. - Williston, ND - Classifieds, Help Wanted, Real Estate and More!

Hope that helps.

theguy24 08-23-2011 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justruckin (Post 502133)
Look up Deer Valley Deer Valley Trucking Inc. | Idaho Falls, ID – Williston, ND

Cascade (don't have a link) they haul water and handle the frac tanks.

Gold Spur out of Minot has lease ops.

Also Wylie Bice, heard good things about them.

Also, check the classifieds out in this link, allot of jobs listed with contact info. The Shopper, Inc. - Williston, ND - Classifieds, Help Wanted, Real Estate and More!

Hope that helps.

And the hours and pay rate is about 18 for rookies ?

would they hire someone who just got their CDL ?

LightsOut 09-13-2011 05:48 AM

I haul fresh water for Power Fuels. I make about $400-450 a night in a company truck 6 days a week and I have great benefits. I work 6pm-6am. I have my own place but we have a lot of places for drivers to stay if you aren't from ND. It is easy high paying work. A lot of the o/o companies are hit or miss and there are a lot of fly-by-night outfits up here. My advice if you want to work in the oilpatch is to come work at Power Fuels and make your mistakes in a company truck, then when you get your feet wet if you want to go somewhere else at least you will have some firsthand info. They require 2 years class A exp. unless you're a smooth talker. If that's not an option for you there are leasers and o/o's that will hire you to run their truck at night or run one of their extra trucks (but be warned it can be HARD to get paid by some of those clowns and you'll make less money with no benefits). If you work through a winter driving in the oilpatch and don't wreck anything you can pretty much go to any company out here after that, they usually figure one winter in the oilpatch is enough experience for anyone (and they are right). The companies mentioned earlier in this thread are OK, but their drivers receive little or no oilpatch training and are pretty much just thrown in. The last time I saw a DVT truck with an English speaking driver was February and he was lost. Even if you have a truck that you want to run up here, I would advise you to drive for a company for a few months, learn the roads (they aren't marked like elsewhere and they are ROUGH and tear trucks up), and do your learning curve on someone else's equipment. Another company to look at if you are dead set on n running your own truck is ITL (Iowa Tank Lines). Rookie or no rookie, if you go to work out here for less than 30 an hour (if you're getting cash and no benefits) you are screwing yourself- the girls running the register at the Stanley Cenex at night are making 17 an hour. I live and work here so if you want to know anything specific just ask. I got numbers for my company they are hiring and I can get numbers for others if you want.

mherriman 09-15-2011 12:22 PM

Hey Lightsout, you say that Power Fuels has lots of places for out of town drivers to stay. What type of housing is it, is it paid by the Co or the driver, is there a time limit you can stay in Co housing before they expect you to find your own pad, etc. I'm interested in the work, but from what I'm seeing unless the Co provides housing or I'm looking to pick up and move, the extra money to be made there will just be spent there on housing. Also do you know what their time off policy is for the out of towners, i.e. three weeks on 1 week off or can you accumulate days off and use them all at once, like working two months then taking two weeks off. I am currently driving OTR and work a month then go home for a week with the family and would kinda like to keep that type of schedule. If any one else has info on their Co's it would be appreciated also. Thanks in advance.

rkeck 09-15-2011 02:13 PM

I have a 39' fth wheel travel trailer, winter ready. Am considering ND for a 6 month winter trial but doing a web search there are few RV parks in the Williston area and I'm sure they are full. I'm sure there have been some new ones built recently but I'm sure they cram them in there like sardines ... If you're situated in a good area, can you be "home" daily? Seen any decent RV parks for those with trailers well situated geographically for drivers?

EddieVHrules 09-16-2011 01:33 AM

90k gross a year-don't believe it whatsoever. Prove it. Post a paycheck online. They have an internet program for that.

COLT 09-18-2011 03:47 PM

To the O/Op's that wants to put their trucks to work in the patch... Highway spec'ed trucks just fall apart doing oilfield work, (at least here in Canada they do) heavy framed 500 + hp 46,000 rears 4.10-4.30 rears w/ dual lockers being the standard.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ricanmud-1.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...eer_ws_sml.jpg

dewercs2 10-23-2011 01:12 AM

Hi Guys..

So I've been thinking the same thing... chasing the money or as they say Rock'n the Baaken. Running in L.A. playing with traffic. Worried about being video taped not leaving a minimum of a 7 second space in front of me is frustrating but im doing it, hard, but doing....

For me my mother in Law lives in Baker, MT and my Ex brother in Law is on the fire dept there in Williston. We would probably live in Baker since I have immediate housing so if anyone has any info let me know...

As for 100hrs a week, no thanks. Running water or a vac truck interests me...

Justruckin 10-24-2011 07:08 PM

dew,

100 hours+ a week was a GOOD WEEK! You do get time to sleep, trust me, and you are on the clock while you are sawing logs. Ding, ding, ding, ding $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Easiest money I have ever made. The hard part is finding the right outfit to work for, or lease on with. It is good money for sure, but there are more than a few fly by night outfits up here. Do your due diligence and do not forget the housing. Living in the truck is not housing, especially when there are few places to take a shower up there in NW ND. I think I know of three such places to get a shower, much less a sit down meal if you drive a truck and need to park it.

It ain't for sissies, but if you are willing the cash is pretty hard to pass up. You will not make this kind of money driving regional or OTR, trust me on that. I figured it out once, as a company driver, I was making anywhere between $2.50 to $3.00 a mile as a company driver hauling water in ND. Just saying.

sanchez498 10-25-2011 01:18 AM

Western North Dakota or any part of ND may not suit you if you hate cold. Average in the winter is 20 to 30 below. Then add some wind chill.

dewercs2 10-26-2011 03:35 AM

:thumbsup: Gracias Sanchez, Yea my wife is from Eastern Montana... Been there in winter time. funny thing though... long sleeve tshirt on Christmas Eve in Williston with 0 temp showing.. I was fine. Never ventured outside when it was blowing or blizzard though.

chain binder 11-06-2011 12:48 PM

I haul sand for Halliburton in the West Texas oilfields.You make your money waiting to unload at the location,We make $19.20 an hour while we wait. I have waited as high as 4 days to unload. My average take home is $1200- $1400 a week.

lifeguard 11-18-2011 12:38 AM

i'm just about to head up there to drive crude for DVT. Everything looks like a good deal to me. A way to get out of debt and eventually a way out of CA, I hate the way my state is going (taxes,anti gun laws,to many stupid laws,spanish speaking...ect). I've been driving for 30 years mostly all here in So.Cal and ready to trade hours of grid lock for ice. I'm ready to go ... Any advice?

TCWBanks2384 12-11-2011 03:36 PM

Lightsout - how does one make $400/night? As an O/O? And to Justruckin - what kind of shifts are you working to hit up to 100hr week? Days on-days off? Start time,stop time?

TCWBanks2384 12-11-2011 03:41 PM

Lifeguard what kind of money does DVT talk about starting drivers off with? I've heard transporting crude pays more than water,but not by much. I've had my hazmat before and curious as to whether it's worth it to go through process again.

Justruckin 12-17-2011 05:40 PM

Depends on where you work, one outfit I was with ran around the clock, no log books. The outfit I am with now runs by the book, 14 on and 10 off, with a little leeway. Pound off around 90 hours a week at $30 an hour, do the math. We drive roughly 90 miles a day, all on pavement, hauling propane. Got a line on another job paying $40 an hour with a company vehicle and housing sitting behind a desk... Just get up here and start networking... More good paying jobs than a guy can shake a stick at. And normally you will work at least 80 hours a week. Hey, we are up here to work, not chase *****... Just saying.

freebrd 01-07-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justruckin (Post 506411)
depends on where you work, one outfit i was with ran around the clock, no log books. The outfit i am with now runs by the book, 14 on and 10 off, with a little leeway. Pound off around 90 hours a week at $30 an hour, do the math. We drive roughly 90 miles a day, all on pavement, hauling propane. Got a line on another job paying $40 an hour with a company vehicle and housing sitting behind a desk... Just get up here and start networking... More good paying jobs than a guy can shake a stick at. And normally you will work at least 80 hours a week. Hey, we are up here to work, not chase *****... Just saying.

sent you a couple pm's! Are you still working in nd?

Justruckin 01-13-2012 12:14 AM

I am still hauling propane and butane from the gas plant to the rail yard here in ND, three loads a day on average, around 100 - 150 miles total a day. We are now on salary (got a HEALTHY raise), get per diem and free housing. We now work the normal trucking rules, 14 hr days and 34 off, 70 hours a week. Like I said, our pay just went up, and getting another raise next month, allot of competition for workers here, now easily making 5 figures a month with plenty of time off. Can you say easy money?

One nice thing about working up here, is that everyone is hiring, employers are fighting to keep employee$. The pay is going up as more jobs come on line and the pool of available workers shrink, as we have a good sized labor shortage up here. Our unemployment is in the 1% range or less. Also, outfits that may never look at you for employment WILL hire and train you in fields that normally require a college degree. There is allot going on up here, more than I can type here, and it looks like this will last for quite a few years if not longer. Most of the higher ups I speak with are figuring around 5 to 10 years of a very robust economy here with long term futures for companies and employees that get into the right niche.

It is a very exciting time up here, and quite honestly I am really enjoying myself as well as making a very good living. God willing, I should easily hit 6 figures this year driving a propane truck. It is great work, very clean, drive on pavement the entire day and work with a great bunch of guys and gals. So far so good! And no, we are currently not hiring here. I found this job on Craig's List, it was a one day posting. So, keep your eyes on "North Dakota" in Craig's List, as it is probably one of the best places to find opportunities up here. And a word of advice, just get up here if you are serious about coming. Find a job, any job, and get up here. Once you are physically up here, that is when you find the real opportunities. Employers are fighting for workers, if you are good they will pay you very well to keep you happy as turn over is quite high. There are more than a few fly by nighters here, get a job with one of them if need be, and start your hunt for that perfect job or career on your days off. This is not the first oil boom up here, there are quite a few very solid companies here that are looking for men and women that want to work, but you need to physically be here.

Mike

Justruckin 01-13-2012 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCWBanks2384 (Post 506196)
Lightsout - how does one make $400/night? As an O/O? And to Justruckin - what kind of shifts are you working to hit up to 100hr week? Days on-days off? Start time,stop time?

TC,

I think most guys and gals that come up here for the first time can figure on $20 an hour + OT after 40 hours as a company driver. If you make more than $20 an hour, that is when ones pay normally roles into straight time, no over time. The owner ops normally make anywhere from $100 to $175 an hour, depending on the contract and commodity hauled. There are some outfits up here that do have trailers, you supply the truck, but those are hard to find and openings very rarely open up. So, if you bring a truck, you better have a trailer or know where to lease or buy one up here or back home. You will also need a wet kit or at the very least a PTO driven pump or compressor on your tractor depending on your application.

As far as shifts, most outfits run 12 on 12 off, 6am to 6pm or 7am to 7pm. But, there are other outfits that let you run around the clock if you want and the work is available. It all depends on who you hook up with. The bigger outfits like Missouri Basin or Power Fuels will keep you nailed down to that 70 hours a week. But, what I am seeing and hearing up here, and experiencing myself, is that we have a driver shortage so companies are now adjusting pay to keep the drivers they have. When I started here at my propane job, it worked out to $400 a day if you were able to make it all work. We have electronic logs in our trucks, and that right there cut our available time to complete our work. If you need 5 hours to do a turn, and only have three hours available you are not going to hit your $400. We started losing drivers because of this, as I know of no one up here running electronic logs in their trucks. We were running under the oil field DOT regs, but seeing as we do not go to drill sites, we were forced to go on regular OTR regs, losing our 24 hour reset and costing us 10 hours that would be available to work. So, our super/boss went to bat for us and nailed a new pay set up for us from the company. Now we get a set salary that works out to more money whether or not we hit our 70 hours. It works out to more than $400 a day, and we essentially get two days off a week, the 34 hour reset. It works out to just a tad over $10,000 a month gross salary as a company driver. And roughly 30% of that is non taxed per diem, along with some very nice furnished free housing.

Now, some of you are bugging out on that number. What I would tell you is that is about average pay up here for most of us that have been up here for a bit. It just depends on how many hours you have to work to get to that number. If you want to work more and make more, that can be done too. I am working less, making more, and coming home clean every night to a nice trailer with a real washer and dryer, full kitchen and private room that is provided for me by my company. Two of us share the trailer and have it worked out so that we work different hours and have some privacy. And it helps that the company I work for lets me do my own thing in regards to when I work and take my time off, which is another very nice perk. My responsibility is to work my 70 hours a week, hit that magic 14 hours a shift, and move the product. I chose to work nights, no traffic, no waiting to load, I like it, very stress free... And if the weather gets ugly, I can shut the truck down and head to the house, no chaining up here as we are hazmat and on pavement. We have chains, but have no real need to use them, knock on wood.

As far as time off, my company wants us to work at least 4 weeks on and take a week off, and you don't have to take that week off if you want to stay and work. And if there is a family emergency, which I just went through, they will let you head home no questions asked. Now, we do not get paid for that week off, but some companies are now paying that, along with your airfare if you live out of state. It all depends on who you work for and how serious they are in regards to keeping their employees happy and well paid.

Like I have said, you need to get up here with any job you can find. Once you are here, the door to opportunity swings open rather quickly. It might take a few tries, and trust me, employers understand that up here, to find that right fit.

Mike

Justruckin 01-13-2012 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCWBanks2384 (Post 506197)
Lifeguard what kind of money does DVT talk about starting drivers off with? I've heard transporting crude pays more than water,but not by much. I've had my hazmat before and curious as to whether it's worth it to go through process again.

DVT is an Owner Operator company. The company drivers that are hired are found by the actual truck owner, most of whom are absentee owners, who normally have no driver housing or even a presence in the state of ND other than the equipment. The "company" drivers and lease ops go through DVT orientation, which is about a week I believe. They train you on all of the stuff you need to work in the oil patch, OSHA, site safety, etc. They will then send you out with an experienced driver for in the field training for around two weeks I believe.

Most of the guys (drivers and O/Ops) I have spoken with at DVT live in the trucks, average pay is around $25 an hour straight time for company drivers. O/Ops are getting around, last I knew, around $125 an hour, but don't quote me on that, it may be $100 an hour. They haul fresh water, flow back, production water and oil. They have a hit and miss reputation up here, it was not that good the last I had heard, as they had been kicked out of more than a few job sites for sloppy work, sites that I have personally been on. Now, that is not saying that there are not some great and very competent drivers there, because there are. The old saying applies here, it only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch. One thing I did see with DVT, due to a shortage of drivers, was that the truck owners were bringing in quite a few Mexicans and S. Americans, many of whom did not speak English and were of questionable legality in my book. They are quite honestly a danger to those of us who follow the rules up here as well as the general motoring public. That was becoming an issue on some of the sites I was on, and it was not a good thing for DVT. I do not know if they are still hiring these guys, maybe they have changed their hiring practices, it has been awhile since I have been out on the sites now that I am in the propane racket.

If I got any of the above wrong, please feel free to correct me, as it has been near 6 months since I have run with these guys. Things change quickly up here, and you will not hurt my "feelings".

Mike

Justruckin 01-13-2012 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCWBanks2384 (Post 506197)

DVT is an owner operator company, they do not hire drivers, at least when I was running with them. The actual truck owners do the hiring and DVT clears and trains them. Drivers were starting at around $25 an hour straight time, give or take a dollar or two and most lived in the trucks. On the oil side, some drivers may get a percentage of the load, I think around 26% is about the norm, give or take. A good outfit for crude up here is Wylie Byce, I understand their drivers, not owner ops, were making anywhere between $400 and $1000+ a 12 hour shift hauling oil. At least that is what the guys I spoke with said they were making there, and I have no reason to doubt them.

And yes, if you come up here have your hazmat endorsement on your CDL. It will open many doors for you in regards to employment. There is more money in hazmat, and many more opportunitie$ available.

Justruckin 01-13-2012 03:47 AM

On a side note...

If you come up here, and get hired on with an outfit that has no housing and you will live in the truck... There are very few truck stops up here, and the ones that are here are nearly packed 24/7. In other words, finding a toilet, shower or a place to park can be touch and go up here, as well as food. My suggestion, find an employer with at least some sort of yard that has some basic facilities, like a toilet, sink and shower that is available 24/7. There is more housing coming on line up here daily, just do your due diligence and or be prepared for conditions that may not suit some people. This is like the wild west up here in allot of respects, the influx of people has strained many local communities and they are doing their best to try to accommodate all of us, and there is ALLOT of us.

Sharlie 01-14-2012 03:32 AM

This thread is interesting. My husband was just saying he thought about changing jobs.
Out of curiosity..... do the drivers just usually go or are there accommodations for families?

I can do my job anywhere I get internet.

Thanks

Justruckin 01-14-2012 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharlie (Post 507488)
This thread is interesting. My husband was just saying he thought about changing jobs.
Out of curiosity..... do the drivers just usually go or are there accommodations for families?

I can do my job anywhere I get internet.

Thanks

Yes, some companies have family housing available, normally though they will charge you rent seeing as they are losing a spot for another employee. My company charges $500 a month if you bring the spouse and or children. Not a bad deal, and the housing isn't to bad. Best bet is to have your husband come up first, get a month or two under his belt and hunt down an employer that has the housing you would require.

Sharlie 01-14-2012 05:13 PM

Thanks...... I could go for a month off ;)

TCWBanks2384 01-15-2012 05:34 AM

Justruckin - I really appreciate all the info. I'm starting to get anxious to head north. Being from S.Dakota originally I'm aware of what -30 feels like, etc. I've submitted several apps and my resume to roughly 5-6 different companies, in the past week. However, I may just take your advice and show up to physically be ready to work. I live 1000 miles away right now, and I'm wondering what company is going to take me into consideration when theres drivers already there ready to work tomorrow. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure they take any job inquiry seriously, but the CDL drivers knockin on the door will more likely be a potential candidate before me, which would be my assumption anyways. Is it wise to make phone calls to check up on status of application? I hate to be a nuisance to a company that gets 100 other phone calls a day asking if they're hiring. Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks again. -Banks

Justruckin 01-15-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCWBanks2384 (Post 507540)
Justruckin - I really appreciate all the info. I'm starting to get anxious to head north. Being from S.Dakota originally I'm aware of what -30 feels like, etc. I've submitted several apps and my resume to roughly 5-6 different companies, in the past week. However, I may just take your advice and show up to physically be ready to work. I live 1000 miles away right now, and I'm wondering what company is going to take me into consideration when theres drivers already there ready to work tomorrow. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure they take any job inquiry seriously, but the CDL drivers knockin on the door will more likely be a potential candidate before me, which would be my assumption anyways. Is it wise to make phone calls to check up on status of application? I hate to be a nuisance to a company that gets 100 other phone calls a day asking if they're hiring. Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks again. -Banks

Tcw,

Your best bet for work is going to be Craig's List and "The Shopper" out of Williston ND. Just google "The Shopper Williston ND". And forget the resumes and applications. If they want you just get up here, you can fill all of that paperwork out during your training. It took me a good week on the job before I was handed the employment application. I didn't even get a road test, but did get the "P" test. Very strict on that up here, drugs are not tolerated.

Get on the phone and start calling. Right now is a good time to land a job, as many have fled the state for the winter. Funny thing, it has been in the 40's and 50's here. I'm still wearing my summer steel toes and simply layering up with a couple pairs of light winter underwear and a hoody under my summer FRC's. It was 43* at 0100 this morning, currently it is clear and 21* @ 0600 with a slight breeze. Had a dusting of snow the other day, a sparce 1/4 inch on the ground here currently.

But anyways, get on the phone, talk to the outfits up here and find out when you can start and get here, it is that simple. As most guys never show, so if you make it here, you will have a job.

Oh, those "other" drivers up here? We are all WORKING! We do not have enough as it is, and yes, guys are always looking for opportunities, but few will take the plunge to change jobs unless things are really bad at their current outfit. The most difficult job to find up here is one without all of the DRAMA. I think I found that outfit and so far so good, I am currently NOT looking for another job. Most outfits will secure you a position over the phone, and like I said, if you are one of the few to actually show up, you will have a job.

fourbyfour 01-15-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justruckin (Post 507542)
Tcw,

Your best bet for work is going to be Craig's List and "The Shopper" out of Williston ND. Just google "The Shopper Williston ND". And forget the resumes and applications. If they want you just get up here, you can fill all of that paperwork out during your training. It took me a good week on the job before I was handed the employment application. I didn't even get a road test, but did get the "P" test. Very strict on that up here, drugs are not tolerated.

Get on the phone and start calling. Right now is a good time to land a job, as many have fled the state for the winter. Funny thing, it has been in the 40's and 50's here. I'm still wearing my summer steel toes and simply layering up with a couple pairs of light winter underwear and a hoody under my summer FRC's. It was 43* at 0100 this morning, currently it is clear and 21* @ 0600 with a slight breeze. Had a dusting of snow the other day, a sparce 1/4 inch on the ground here currently.

But anyways, get on the phone, talk to the outfits up here and find out when you can start and get here, it is that simple. As most guys never show, so if you make it here, you will have a job.

Oh, those "other" drivers up here? We are all WORKING! We do not have enough as it is, and yes, guys are always looking for opportunities, but few will take the plunge to change jobs unless things are really bad at their current outfit. The most difficult job to find up here is one without all of the DRAMA. I think I found that outfit and so far so good, I am currently NOT looking for another job. Most outfits will secure you a position over the phone, and like I said, if you are one of the few to actually show up, you will have a job.

is there still places upthere to park a rv with full hook ups?

Justruckin 01-15-2012 05:46 PM

There are some up here, but they are far and few between. The park we are in, which is a field with rock roadways situated on a hill, does have a few spots under development and maybe a couple of ready to go spots. We are located in Alexander ND just off of SR85 25 miles south of Williston. And we do have big truck parking at the bottom of the hill. They charge us $800 a month with full year round hook ups (water, sewer and electric), but you pay for utilities. There are electric meters at each site with 100 or 150 amp service, you supply your own propane.

In Watford city there is an RV park, I believe he is charging a bit more, from $1000 and up I believe. He is located on SR85 just on the south side of Watford City proper near the truck route on the West side of the road. He also has ready to go trailers, 20 ' campers like you would pull behind a pick up for $1500 a month + utilities. I don't think he is finding many takers at that price, I have only seen a few out of the several dozen he has set up that look occupied.

There are also many smaller mom and pops that have popped up, most do not have any hookups and they charge around $500 a month.

Also off of SR2, the main northern east to west drag through the state has some RV parks going in. There is one outside of Tioga, I believe he is charging around that $800 also, and has full hook ups. The last time I was by it looked to be already full.

I also think I heard of something going in around the New Town area for campers, which is about 35 miles south of Stanley, but don't quote me on it.

Also, some employers up here have some land that they allow you to park your camper on. If they have any hook ups who knows, I have seen many up here boondocking on businesses property. It does not look like fun.

One thing I did hear on the radio, that just west of Sidney Montana there is a big truck park going in. They charge by the day, week and month to park your truck and trailer. I believe they have electrical hook ups for the trucks if one has off shore on their truck, showers and a club house. I heard about that on The Eagle 93.1 FM out of Sidney MT, you may want to call the radio station for more info if interested. I believe this place is still under construction but will be in full swing by Spring.

Also check with the Sidney or Glendive Montana city halls or Chamber offices. They have allot of activity in the area and could possibly help find a campground. They are roughly 40 miles from Williston. And the Sidney area is pretty nice, they have some shopping and restaurants, something we do not have in Alexander, which consists of two bars, a little C store, one little restaurant that is open around 8 hours a day, a bank and a post office.

And to give you married guys a heads up that plan on bringing your wives... that little bank pays that bank teller $25 an hour. The C stores around here pay up to $17 an hour for cashiers, and secretaries can make up to $60,000 a year to start. Most jobs around here start at $10 to $14 an hour that would be considered minimum wage jobs back home. But we are so short handed around here that a good negotiator could probably do better in securing a higher wage. We are also in need of medical personal, our hospitals and clinics are screaming for people, some even supply housing, say for a nurse or technician.

Hope this helps.

Mike