Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Why are most companies hush-hush about hiring freezes? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/38386-why-most-companies-hush-hush-about-hiring-freezes.html)

bentstrider 07-30-2009 01:15 AM

Why are most companies hush-hush about hiring freezes?

You go onto their websites, look at their equipment and see their ads in truckstop handouts touting that they still seek drivers.
But when you answer those ads, that's when you get the atypical bad-news that most of us have been getting when trying to get back into, or just plain get in to the saddle.

Jumbo 07-30-2009 01:51 AM

If they tell everybody that they have a hiring freeze nobody will apply.

Jumbo 07-30-2009 02:00 AM

I overheard our recruiter tell someone the other day on the phone that we would accept their application but we are not hiring as of this moment. They are still going through applications and checking backgrounds in case we do start hiring or need to fill a truck.

LBF 07-30-2009 02:58 AM

Catch and release, same as fishing. They categorize what they get, skim off the best right away, and have the good enough ones set aside for the day the boss yells in the door to get more help, NOW!!!

bentstrider 07-30-2009 04:07 AM

Well at least they could be a little more up front in those regards.
It could also stem from the fact that they're being like these stereotypical disaster movies and trying not to invoke a panic.

Sealord 07-30-2009 12:33 PM

Why are most companies hush-hush about hiring freezes?

'Cause the website was developed and ads were bought before the bottom dropped for moving freight? BOL

chris1 07-30-2009 12:41 PM

Weeding out the weak and under-performers.

feederfred 07-30-2009 08:29 PM

A lot of companies, both trucking related and non trucking companies are doing this. I really believe that, first of all, online job searching/hiring is a joke. Companies post openings that they don't have and have no intention of hiring anyone. Saia and Fed-Ex are good examples...they post job openings, yet when you go in person, they inform you that they have a freeze on and are NOT hiring. I have come to think that maybe firms are doing this to make their stockholders/investors think that they are a lot healthier financially than they really are. My own former company (UPS-the infamous "Big Brown") still posts job openings, yet I get the retiree newsletter every month citing 15,000 plus layoffs and more to come, and Brown constantly whining about how it has not made it's target financial goals this quarter...

Orangetxguy 07-30-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feederfred (Post 457553)
A lot of companies, both trucking related and non trucking companies are doing this. I really believe that, first of all, online job searching/hiring is a joke. Companies post openings that they don't have and have no intention of hiring anyone. Saia and Fed-Ex are good examples...they post job openings, yet when you go in person, they inform you that they have a freeze on and are NOT hiring. I have come to think that maybe firms are doing this to make their stockholders/investors think that they are a lot healthier financially than they really are. My own former company (UPS-the infamous "Big Brown") still posts job openings, yet I get the retiree newsletter every month citing 15,000 plus layoffs and more to come, and Brown constantly whining about how it has not made it's target financial goals this quarter...

Don't you just love hearing the term; "Shareholder Value", when they are telling you that you just don't perform well enough, and "They" are going to have to make changes???

Do you suppose all the "Corporate Theives" of the last 15 years gave one moments consideration to "shareholder value" as they were lining their own pockets, squirrling away petty cash into offshore bank accounts, and awarding themselves massive stock options??

:pissedoff: sorry....my bad! :pissedoff::pissedoff::pissedoff:

feederfred 07-30-2009 09:53 PM

And as usual, you hit that nail squarely on the head....I totally agree...as always the "little guy" pays....