Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   R&L CARRIERS (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/34387-r-l-carriers.html)

TGTLLC 06-26-2008 07:32 PM

R&L CARRIERS

any one got any info on this company. did a search and was not able ot come up with any thing. supposed to start next week and just want ot see what anyone knows about them good or bad.

mdf1576 06-26-2008 08:26 PM

http://www.truckingboards.com/trucki.../r-l-carriers/

Snowman7 06-26-2008 11:03 PM

Re: R&L CARRIERS

Quote:

Originally Posted by TGTLLC
any one got any info on this company. did a search and was not able ot come up with any thing. supposed to start next week and just want ot see what anyone knows about them good or bad.

Will you be working road or city? R&L is a decent middle of the road LTL carrier.

INKTOXICATED 06-26-2008 11:06 PM

big yard in central jersey hiring. there trucks look like newer macks

06-26-2008 11:31 PM

They don't pay overtime (except in the state of Washington) and if you're P&D, you gotta buy your own pallet jack. Besides that, they're a decent outfit to hitch your wagons to...you could do far worse than R&L. But like Snowman says, they're a middle-of-the road carrier...meaning you would get a better deal at the union LTL's or FedEx Freight.

I know several guys who have been with them for years, so that's proof in the pudding enough for me.

unclehotte 06-26-2008 11:37 PM

Hey TGTLLC??? My one year anniversary is coming up soon. I LOVE it here. Beats OTR. I actually applied for daily pickup and delivery. But they only had a night linehaul run available at the time I applied. I took it and love it. Just hook up the two pups (sometimes 48' trailer), switch at switchpoint and then home again. NEVER lost one day of work last winter and ALWAYS extra work at the weekend available if you want to. What state/terminal will you drive out of??? :D

TGTLLC 06-27-2008 12:49 AM

I WILL BE OUT OF THE BATTLE CREEK TERMINAL. RIGHT NOW THEY DON'T HAVE ANY LINE HAUL OPENINGS CAUSE ACCORDING TO THE TERMINAL MANAGER THEY SUBLET IT OUT TO A TEMP COMPANY AS A TRIAL TO SEE IF IT WAS WORTH USING TEMPS TO TRY AND SAVE MONEY. AS FAR AS BUYING A PALLET JACK, LOL, THAT FUNNY I WONT PAY FOR MATERIALS NEEDED OT DO THE JOB, THEY WILL PROVIDE THAT FOR ME OTHER WISE I WILL TELL THEM THANKS BUT NO THANKS.

RIGHT NOW THE TERMINAL MANAGER SAID THE NEW LINE HAUL SET UP DOES NO SEEM TO BE WORKING SO THEY MIGHT SWITCH BACK TO THE COMPANY DRIVERS DOING IT, AND IF SO I WILL TRY AND GET ON THAT.. I MUCH RATHER DRIVE AT NIGHT PLUS IF I GET A NIGHT JOB MEANS NO DAYCARE FOR THE LITTLE ONE.

TGTLLC 06-27-2008 12:52 AM

sorry about the caps.. also i will be doing local P&D as a floating driver right no but with a dedicated truck just wont have a dedicated lane.. also truck a single screw witch will take some getting used to.. hell a day cab will be hard to get used to after a 275 in wheel base on my old truck lol.

unclehotte 06-29-2008 10:20 PM

Yes, we have some temp drivers right now,too. Just to help out, I got told from the older drivers. They come every summer. Suits me, I dont necessary like a 2nd linehaul run after I just returned from it. (But it for sure makes for a good paycheck). Our ''Combo'' drivers get into a FULL driver position quickly. And temps to replace all normal linehaul drivers???? Cant see how that could work.....I asked one of them, they get $18/h....if they wait for their switchdriver OR NOT, unlike us normal guys.

Ian Williams 07-01-2008 07:55 PM

Welcome to the single stack window in the back club.

Most anything LTL is going to be better than OTR.

Even a poor to middle of the pack LTL is going to be much better in terms of home time and not getting jerked around.

You equipment may be older and more beat up that what you'll encounter. As a city driver you will be hand bombing, dollying and jacking most of your deliveries.