Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   2008 Shaffer-Heartland CHRONICLES (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/32145-2008-shaffer-heartland-chronicles.html)

headborg 09-07-2008 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belpre122
How are you feeling about your decision to leave Shaffer for Heartland these days HB? I noticed your comment about the turnover at Heartland. Does there seem to be more turnover at Heartland vs. Shaffer?

I'm certainly no regs/law expert by any means, but the tire in that picture would have placed our company equipment immediately out-of-service. BOL out there.

I've checked a few times, and haven't seen your pic over at war-line. 8) :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by headborg
Last positive-- that mechanic using a torque wrench on my lug nuts!

Better the lug nuts, than the ones within reach............. 8) Maybe next time.

Does there seem to be more turnover at Heartland vs Shaffer?

that's an interesting question--- I'd say, it's very hard to tell because the Shaffer/Crete operation is a different animal than the Heartland Operation-

Crete/Shaffer has fewer Terminals of over-all lower quality than the Heartland operation- plus Shaffer/Crete doesn't seem to want to ever actually USE the terminal for what they are designed for in reguard to drop/hook and relaying freight. Crete/Shaffer trucks generally can stay away from the terminals and AVOID them for long stretches of time. Thus, I was unable to "guage" the dis-satisfaction rate-- i.e. less contact with fellow drivers.

Thus far, here at Heartland-- I've been able to "talk" to many....many.. drivers- far more interaction within the ranks- so maybe it just "seems" like more turn-over- possible near future "turnover" etc. But by far- I've encountered 2 types of drivers.

Ones that been here less than 6 months-- and are generally unhappy stating they are gonna leave. Then the other extreme-- drivers that been here 7+ years and wouldn't dream of changing a thing. There seems to be a pronounced absence of those "middle of the haul" drivers. So, I'd say Twilight's comment about-- got to be "tough" to work here-- has some truth to it. Either, driver's get feed up quickly and leave- or they gut it out for long-term.

Mostly, driver's which have came over here from "lesser" quality Mega-Carriers-- like Swift, Warner, CREngland- etc are happy as pigs in slop -- after all, they all got HUGE PAY INCREASES by coming over here.

Other driver's, that live in good areas--- love the home time/ miles and report-- Heartland is a very honest and fair company-- and have delivered everything they promised.

Driver's that are driving for companies like USA, Tango, Priority-- already driving equally crappy International 9400's--- would be foolish not to jump over here for better pay + miles + benefits.

Yes, the 7 hours in our "flag ship" corporate terminal shop-- and getting next to NOTHING repaired-- being sent out without changing those batteries or THAT tire-- having the Shop foreman set there and try to convince me that TIRE was DOT LEGAL--- never mind the fact that-- he was setting me up for MORE road service to come--- that is troubling to me- he's suppose to be there to keep the COST down--- now, when that tire blows out-- and I'm setting on the side of the road and a tire has to be brought out to me-- it's gonna cost the company a lot more-- plus, more downtime for me. This is a reason- in 15 years I've avoided working for a small Owner, with say 5-10 trucks and not enough $$$ to maintain the equipment-- you could find yourself broke down-- miles from home and making NO MONEY- NO BENEFITS. There's just no excuse here-- that's acceptable- this company has so many policies and procedures it wants the Drivers to follow 100%- but then they don't deliver 100% themselves- and do something as basic as fix mechanical problems that are staring them in the face-- on their doorstep.

belpre122 09-08-2008 08:42 AM

Regarding weekly mileage. During my brief solo OTR stint, I was running 3200-3600 weekly. This usually consisted of midwest to the east coast, running up and down the east coast, and then working back to the midwest for the weekend. Obviously this made for a tight log book, and very little, if any spare time.

When I see your mileage totals for the week, in the 2XXX area, that doesn't seem too bad if the money is there. Are you able to not be balls-to-the-wall all of the time, and relax a bit? Seems like the short/medium hauls could open you up to a lot more of the shipper/receiver waiting games during your weekly cycle, that is, if Heartland stands for it?

jd112488 09-08-2008 03:44 PM

you guys need to not generalize so much. headborg would not drive for an o/o because they cannot maintain trucks or pay yuo while you are brokedown. but yet he drives for heartland that would not replace the tire that he felt was in violation, but then he drove it anyway. also they would not replace the batteries but he drove it anyway. it seems to me that heartland is as bad as the 5 to 10 truck o/o operators that he would not drive for. btw, i drive for a guy with 4 trucks. when i breakdown i still get afull weeks pay as if i did my whole weeks work, plus get paid for rooms and expenses that i have incured...and he thinks food and beer cost alot, i actually made more money being broke down than i did working. so why not get to know companies and individuals before we run them into the ground.

headborg 09-08-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd112488
you guys need to not generalize so much. headborg would not drive for an o/o because they cannot maintain trucks or pay yuo while you are brokedown. but yet he drives for heartland that would not replace the tire that he felt was in violation, but then he drove it anyway. also they would not replace the batteries but he drove it anyway. it seems to me that heartland is as bad as the 5 to 10 truck o/o operators that he would not drive for. btw, i drive for a guy with 4 trucks. when i breakdown i still get afull weeks pay as if i did my whole weeks work, plus get paid for rooms and expenses that i have incured...and he thinks food and beer cost alot, i actually made more money being broke down than i did working. so why not get to know companies and individuals before we run them into the ground.

You're a lucky guy-- to drive for such a nice O/O. It would be better if you NEVER breakdown-- but, you admit that you do breakdown. How often?

I know union driver's don't mind a bit-- to raise the hood on the side of the road--they're on the clock!

In 15 years-- I've been broke down or towed-- maybe 5 times!

And yes, I did drive the truck with that bad tire-- they hold the purse strings-- I made it HOME with all my stuff on that tire! Now, my truck is 600 pounds or so LESS HEAVY. See, driving the truck home-- is much cheaper than a RENTAL CAR.

The batteries were replaced--just not when/how they should have been-- and yes, it pisses me off-- spending an additional 4 hours in the back of a Wal-Mart parking lot after the company shop -- didn't replace them.
Yes, this concerns me-- greatly. Because, the contrast is there--- the small O/O can use the excuse-- they don't have the $$$, but a big company you'd expect better from( at least I do ) --- You do have to Note-- my truck is only 1 out of 3500. so that's a very low percentage.

On the whole, the trailers(for example) here at Heartland are in much better condition than Crete's fleet of trailers.

BTW, you were comparing/contrasting and generalizing yourself there too.... you are a fortunate driver to be working for a small O/O who takes care of his drivers..... but, there are many such O/O that can't or won't pay their drivers-- breakdown pay- etc.
And before I'd work for one-- I'd certainly need to do much research and get the know them( like you advise) before I risk my credit, stake my families income to one of them.

Bottom line counts-- it's a safer bet to go with one of these larger companies for stability and benefits.

headborg 09-08-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belpre122
Regarding weekly mileage. During my brief solo OTR stint, I was running 3200-3600 weekly. This usually consisted of midwest to the east coast, running up and down the east coast, and then working back to the midwest for the weekend. Obviously this made for a tight log book, and very little, if any spare time.

When I see your mileage totals for the week, in the 2XXX area, that doesn't seem too bad if the money is there. Are you able to not be balls-to-the-wall all of the time, and relax a bit? Seems like the short/medium hauls could open you up to a lot more of the shipper/receiver waiting games during your weekly cycle, that is, if Heartland stands for it?

3200-3600 is were I'd love to be as long as the per mile pay was above .40 cpm, plus the home time was still available( considering where I live ) and the company needs to NOT require Haz-mat endorsement ( although I'm fixing to go get it (to offset my recent Non-at-fault accident) this should open up a few more options for me.)

Remember, I came over here to get out of the OTR (system) driving-- where you're out 10+ days in a row- but the mileage was missing ( mainly on the weekends( 3days out of 7) I came over here on the premise that-- I'd be getting 2100-2200 miles per week and HOME 3 out of 4 weekends.

Thus far, it looks as if the MILES are here, the freight is here. And they are more than willing to RUN YOU IN THE GROUND if you're willing to let them. My numbers are just that....MY NUMBERS. You or anyone else could do equally as well ( if you consider those numbers enough) or you could do BETTER. Remember too, I've just switched over here from Crete/Shaffer and I'm still in log running mode-- where I'm matching the qualcom perfectly and running strictly per Crete's very restrictive rules---
so far I've discovered Heartland isn't nearly as "strict" as Crete ( maybe because A. Wilkerson) didn't bring the DOT noising around. That's as far as I'll go with that... you should be able to read between the lines.

I was told-- they have a policy of not dispatching you more than 500 miles per a 24hour period-- IF that is actually practiced that would limit you to 3500 a week max. I'd say you'd need to keep your mouth shut if you got over 3000--- loose lips sink ships.

No, the short/medium haul doesn't seem to be causing waiting games-- remember most of the freight here at Heartland is Drop/hook. And there's
lots of relay off the many yards. The dispatcher games--- would tend to slow you down more( i.e.-- Not allowed to deliver EARLY, not suppose to call the consignee to ask If/Can)

as for as relaxing? one would need a comfortable truck to relax in, wouldn't one? This is a work truck-- you got a mattress and a place to plug your 12volt cooler. Besides, they don't want you to idle the truck-- you do your "relaxing" at home or out-of-truck. This is another reason-- why they don't want to let you have such amenities in the truck.

Orangetxguy 09-09-2008 01:39 AM

Have you ever talked with these guy's??

http://www.transcolines.com/index.htm

headborg 09-09-2008 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy

Yes, I called them ...once.. they require that hazmat endorcement and cap out at .38cpm--- don't remember exactly for sure-- but either they said -- the truck has to be left on Russellville, Ar or I have to live along I-40 to take it home(by house under load)---

but, you are the 3rd person to suggest these guys in the last month. Other two- went through Heartland Orientation with me-- and are no longer employees here- but neither of them when over there.

Do you personally know anyone with knowledge of the specifics of what they are like? I've heard very nice equipment and lots of miles....
at the time I called them-- dropping from .465cpm to .38cpm(2 of which I believe is Bonus*) seemed like too severe a pay drop( un-recoverable with gambling on making it up with MORE MILES) and having to commute to and from Russellville,Ar for home time + having to get the hazmat.

Orangetxguy 09-09-2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, I called them ...once.. they require that hazmat endorcement and cap out at .38cpm--- don't remember exactly for sure-- but either they said -- the truck has to be left on Russellville, Ar or I have to live along I-40 to take it home(by house under load)---

but, you are the 3rd person to suggest these guys in the last month. Other two- went through Heartland Orientation with me-- and are no longer employees here- but neither of them when over there.

Do you personally know anyone with knowledge of the specifics of what they are like? I've heard very nice equipment and lots of miles....
at the time I called them-- dropping from .465cpm to .38cpm(2 of which I believe is Bonus*) seemed like too severe a pay drop( un-recoverable with gambling on making it up with MORE MILES) and having to commute to and from Russellville,Ar for home time + having to get the hazmat.

I've only talked with a couple of their drivers. Don't even know how far you are from Russelville. Both of them were happy with their miles and home time.They were driving the Pete 386's.
Just thought if they were close they would be an option.

Other than buying a tractor and doing the O/O route, your kind of in a bad area(house) for flexability.

headborg 09-09-2008 05:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I've only talked with a couple of their drivers. Don't even know how far you are from Russelville. Both of them were happy with their miles and home time.They were driving the Pete 386's.
Just thought if they were close they would be an option.

Other than buying a tractor and doing the O/O route, your kind of in a bad area(house) for flexability.

yep, but that last suggestion is on my mind as well.... 5 more years and the house is paid for. Was thinking-- I might go that route-- the o/o- after I've got the house secured.

but, transco is right up there beside IWX out of Springfield--- was strongly considering both-- as this regional(hometime) always with a load, and not being able to disconnect( I have to leave the tractor- 15miles from doorstep)--- doing the leave the equipment at the Yard and driving-- actually might work out better-- at least then, I wouldn't be under a load- I could take the full 2 days or so off.

headborg 09-13-2008 04:19 AM

Week#13 final review:

Hey, if this is week 13-- I've been here over 90days! I can leave now-- without being charged back for that 127.00 offset toward my rental car to come to work here!

or Eligible for medical/dental benefits now!

ok, back to the grind....

2033 miles this week- home Sat 7pm- to - 3am Monday so....

32 hours home time.

It's Friday night, and still not on a load home yet.

Was in North Liberty today-- went through the ever important Inspection lane.... they had me flagged in computer for a A-Service due in 40 more miles and interestingly-- a note in computer to replace that bad tire!

I say interesting, because I made very little noise(there) the previous Friday when they "ruled" that tire as "acceptable". I just noted it on my Inspection Form-- had the shop foreman sign off-- then checked- the

defects need not be corrected for safe operation of vehicle( which was actually the job of the signing mechanic)
then noted in remarks that IMO no repairs had actually been performed-

which of course, once again placed "the monkey" back on my back-- as I drove the vehicle off the yard anyway--- but again, between the rock and hard place-- you do what's the cheapest on the personal finances.

So, I has me at least 1 good axle of tires... now, I just need 4 drive tires on that leading drive axle before winter.

All and All, I'm not that unhappy here. My wife says, I'm not happy unless I have something to bitch about....and Heartland is a constant supply of such B.S. that she hasn't seen me this happy since I worked at
Polar Express years ago.