Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   CRETE - A Year in Review (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/31778-crete-year-review.html)

Evinrude 01-11-2008 08:05 PM

I never tell anybody anything good about my job or were I work. The reason is I have nothing to gain. Only something to lose, like my job to somebody that is willing to work cheaper.

gmh 01-11-2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evertruckerr
You said it, I stay on the road for extended periods of time, but I do that so I can stay at home longer when I'm there.

This is what I'm thinking. No wife, no kid, no gf. Why stick around here?

Quote:

What the chart doesn't show is the numerous extended restarts that I took (two days and one night type)on the road. These times were often spent in places like the French Quarter in New Orleans; Kittery, ME(there is nothing like a fresh lobster just of the boat); Las Vegas; Portland, OR; Phoenix, AZ(80 in Feb); South Beach, FL; Gulf Coast, San Antonio, TX; Chicago, IL(go Cubs); ETC.

Plus I have friends across the country who I'd like to visit.

Quote:

Any major city has rental car companies that will come and pick you up and bring you back to your truck. I alway have a laptop with me and get great rates at 1st rate hotels and resorts through Priceline and Hotwire. I've been able to travel all over this country and see things on a regular bases that just wouldn't be possible working behind a desk. And I'm doing it on Crete's dime.

I was wondering about the rental care pickup. Do you stick with a single company to get some sort of discount, or just go with whomever? Any pros/cons?

Better watch out, or the anti-OTR trolls will start coming out of the woodwork.

And yes, I can see that the work is hard. BFD. My first contribution to SS came when I was 10 years old, IIRC.

BHG0069 01-11-2008 09:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHG0069
To the "Newbie" drivers that will be reading this. Please take into account that this driver worked extremely hard often staying out MONTHS at a time. It takes a very dedicated individual to do this and I applaud his hard work.

If I ever decide to go back to a real OTR company, CRETE will be my first application. Sounds and looks like they treat you well for the work that you do.

Looks like you should take a nice two month vacation to Bangkok Thailand and spend a few thousand of that hard earned cash. :twisted:

You said it, I stay on the road for extended periods of time, but I do that so I can stay at home longer when I'm there.

What the chart doesn't show is the numerous extended restarts that I took (two days and one night type)on the road. These times were often spent in places like the French Quarter in New Orleans; Kittery, ME(there is nothing like a fresh lobster just of the boat); Las Vegas; Portland, OR; Phoenix, AZ(80 in Feb); South Beach, FL; Gulf Coast, San Antonio, TX; Chicago, IL(go Cubs); ETC.

Any major city has rental car companies that will come and pick you up and bring you back to your truck. I alway have a laptop with me and get great rates at 1st rate hotels and resorts through Priceline and Hotwire. I've been able to travel all over this country and see things on a regular bases that just wouldn't be possible working behind a desk. And I'm doing it on Crete's dime.

Yes I ran hard to make that pay. That's my style, I love to run hard. If I'm going to be stuck in this truck, I want it to be moving and making money. I don't think twice about working a 14hr day. The info only shows that it is possible to make good $ for those like me that love to run hard and play hard in between. The nice part about Crete is you don't have to run that hard. The way their loads are set up you can easily run 2500 miles a week or less, be home more often, and still make 50K year with little effort.

It's what you make of it, much liKE life.

Live it, Love it

Yea I hear ya brotha. When I was OTR my team partner and I made it a whole lot better than what it was. We stopped in Vegas for 24 hrs or so every time we went through. Tijuana, San Diego, LA, Chicago, NYC, etc etc. We traveled to all 48 continental states. Ive seen some of the most beautiful sunsets, mountains, deserts and wide open spaces that you can't imagine. Sometimes it sucked, being 3000 miles away from home. But the year and some months went by very fast being OTR, mainly because we worked our butts off.

And now like you I am switching to Superior Carriers. Did my road test this past Monday. This coming Monday I am scheduled to go in for my DOT Drug test and physical and hopefully be in training by Wednesday.

Hope to see you around some of the terminals there driver. Shoot me a PM if you are ever around the Atlanta area.

brian griffin 01-12-2008 12:18 AM

This is awesome; And these are the exact numbers i want to see.

i don't understand what the ave. miles per week including/excluding home time means?

ICS 01-12-2008 01:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpapa7272
would they take me if I went to north american trade schools? North American trade schools is not PTDI certified but the course they offer is 320 hours

i cant see paying almost close to double for school just for ptdi certification. the only other reputable school in the area is allstate career.

Call a Crete recruiter and ask them if they will accept your school

www.cretecarrier.com

As far a not seeing paying double for PTDI, see above pay and then try to get a swift, werner etc driver to do the same. The extra pay will more than cover the additional cost. Also, a number of Community Colleges offer PTDI courses for much less than the for profit outfits.

Evertrucker...
I am a graduating student driver I just got my school approved threw crete the other day and they are sending us applications. You want to refer me so ou can get the extra cash.

evertruckerr 01-12-2008 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian griffin
This is awesome; And these are the exact numbers i want to see.

i don't understand what the ave. miles per week including/excluding home time means?

It's just two different ways of looking at it depending on what point of view you are interested in.

Average miles per week INCLUDING home time is total miles run for the year(139,453) divided by total number of weeks in a year(52) = 2682/wk

Average miles per week EXCLUDING home time is a more accurate portrayal of the miles you can run at Crete on a weekly basis when you are ON THE ROAD without the days at home distorting the numbers. In my case I ran 139,453 miles, worked 312 day(53 at home), 7 days in a week

139,453/(312/7)=3129mi/week. There are actually drivers that never go home or don't have a home. If you are in that situation your income level could be much higher because you never have down time.

If you don't go home and run 3129mi for 52 weeks

3129 X 52 = 162,708 miles @ 41cpm = $66,710

Not even I want to run that much, but there are drivers that do.

evertruckerr 01-12-2008 02:51 AM

Quote:

Evertrucker...
I am a graduating student driver I just got my school approved threw crete the other day and they are sending us applications. You want to refer me so ou can get the extra cash.
I appreciate the offer, but as much as I enjoy driving for Crete I probably won't be around to collect a referral. I have recently put in an application at another carrier that has a yard less than 10 miles from my home and will make it very easy for me to get home on a weekly basis. It will be more of a challenge and more work but I am looking forward to it.

Things can alway change though, paper work hasn't been finalized yet.

UPDATE:

Looks like Superior Carrier has an issue with the number of employers I have been associated with over the years. Therefore my application has been turned down. For all you new drivers out there, and those of you that want to be drivers. Choose you employers wisely. If you sign on with the wrong one and they screw you over and you leave. You're the one that looks bad, no one wants to hire a job jumper.

Guest I'll just hang tight with Crete.

evertruckerr 01-12-2008 02:58 AM

Quote:

I was wondering about the rental care pickup. Do you stick with a single company to get some sort of discount, or just go with whomever? Any pros/cons?
I go with whom ever is cheapest, and that varies on a weekly basis(i actually rented a mid-size from the Phoenix airport for $12/day through Fox rentals once). Usually National or Enterprise are the best about having shuttles. I have club cards for all the rental companies I use and a number of hotel chains. I usually get allot of discounts coupons sent to me via email that I can use to help me out also.

headborg 01-12-2008 05:25 AM

Hey, where do I log in to get MY print out like that? is there some secret codes you need to use at the Crete Driver on-line forum to get so I can get my print out?

@ Evertrucker ----You the Man!!!! I bow to your --forthrightness and open honesty Wish more drivers were like you and not bullshit everyone about being super trucker---- You did very well 139,000 miles is real good ---and you took your home time all together--looks like about 5days in a row each month---again not bad. And your "out of route" miles were well within the 10%( used to be an old bench mark)---4.4%.

Are you national, dedicated, or regional????????

Bumper 01-12-2008 05:45 AM

Everrrr....good luck with your application, I hope you can get hired. Being home is a good thing.

I have gotten at least two letters every month since I left Crete trying to get me to come back. Not to Crete, but to Shafer!! LOL

Unlike you, I left Crete very disappointed in their operation and would never go back there if I went back OTR. I got paid less per mile, but had less headaches and more miles with Central Reefer.

Im a very happy part time 2 state driver now. Home every night and no quallcom to get in trouble with for telling dispatchers where to stick it. ;)