Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   What's Up With Werner??? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/31437-whats-up-werner.html)

ThinkingAboutTrucking 12-24-2007 05:31 AM

What's Up With Werner???

Just finished my six weeks of training with Werner, and plan to test out later this week.

But to be honest, I don't know if I want to continue with this company. My trainer, who was wonderful, has lost $3000 in the past month or so because her truck was down. Werner sent us to JFK to get a load even though we had a faulty starter. So, that meant we couldn't shut the truck down in NYC, where they have no-idle laws. My trainer said if we got nailed with a ticket, she'd make Werner paid for it, since they weren't going to approve getting the starter fixed until we got back to the terminal.

There are lots of other things going on too, my first roommate at the hotel got finished with training without taking any paid time off, and thought she would get the $500 bonus for going all six weeks without taking a break. She went through HELL but kept going. She tested out, then, since they weren't going to issue her a truck, made her go home. After about 2 1/2 weeks, she finally did get a truck. She made her first delivery, and tried to get her $500, but the company said she took off too much time between testing out and delivering her load, even though they MADE her go home, so they didn't pay her the $500. Not surprisingly, she quit. I've heard a lot of unhappy Werner drivers complain about stuff, breakdown has to be the worst.

Can anyone suggest a decent company that will hire inexperienced drivers who want to travel with a small dog? Thanks.

BIG JEEP on 44's 12-24-2007 05:48 AM

Re: What's Up With Werner???

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutTrucking
Just finished my six weeks of training with Werner, and plan to test out later this week.

But to be honest, I don't know if I want to continue with this company. My trainer, who was wonderful, has lost $3000 in the past month or so because her truck was down. Werner sent us to JFK to get a load even though we had a faulty starter. So, that meant we couldn't shut the truck down in NYC, where they have no-idle laws. My trainer said if we got nailed with a ticket, she'd make Werner paid for it, since they weren't going to approve getting the starter fixed until we got back to the terminal.

There are lots of other things going on too, my first roommate at the hotel got finished with training without taking any paid time off, and thought she would get the $500 bonus for going all six weeks without taking a break. She went through HELL but kept going. She tested out, then, since they weren't going to issue her a truck, made her go home. After about 2 1/2 weeks, she finally did get a truck. She made her first delivery, and tried to get her $500, but the company said she took off too much time between testing out and delivering her load, even though they MADE her go home, so they didn't pay her the $500. Not surprisingly, she quit. I've heard a lot of unhappy Werner drivers complain about stuff, breakdown has to be the worst.

Can anyone suggest a decent company that will hire inexperienced drivers who want to travel with a small dog? Thanks.

JFK were you running ForwardAir ?

Pay was my biggest issue with Werner ,as their CPM is super low ,and has no room on it for their 100-250 mile trips with tons of dock time , Un-paid detention , no lay over pay for sunday which means if you are sitting from noon on Sat until noon on monday those 2 days don't qualify for layover pay ,because Sunday don't count ,and it broke up the those 2 days so in their eyes you didn't sit that long , And many other things I know that this takes place throughout the industry , But if you don't pay well per mile you better have good quality long mile runs to make a driver 3000+ miles a week to equal out , But Werner don't ,And if you have a dispatcher that wants you train he will play games with you if you do not I trained ,and quit after first student ,and then he started pulling loads from me by moving up the ETA ,and then saying..IF I HAD A STUDENT ....iI cvould have kept the load .

Werner has decent trucks ,And many nice things....But miles/money will not be one of those nice things you experience there . :wink:

Uturn2001 12-24-2007 08:55 AM

Just so you know, if you switch now you will have to repeat your OTJ training at the new company.

BIG JEEP on 44's 12-24-2007 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Just so you know, if you switch now you will have to repeat your OTJ training at the new company.

I would put out me resume to better paying outfits , And stay at Werner until I was called by one of these companies...Just be super carefull not to get any preventables ...I mean super carefull , As many companies don't want to see any within the last 12 months . Most companies will require you to go out with another trainer if you have less than 6 months experience OTR Crete is will require it if you have less than 1 year experience ...However you will find that if a company pays you $500.00 wk in training that this will be comparable to what you will be making at Werner at .26CPM and only 1800- 2200 niles per wekk , So it's not a pay issue ...However I'm sure you like I really do not want to share the cab with a trainer if you don't have to .

johnday 12-24-2007 04:42 PM

Re: What's Up With Werner???

Werner has decent trucks ,And many nice things....But miles/money will not be one of those nice things you experience there . :wink:[/quote]

I really have to take issue with this. I've been with Werner 3 weeks now, and really plan on giving them a chance.
I'm a Canada driver, by choice. The first truck I was issued, I refused to take the POS into Canada, it was nothing but a magnet for the MTO. The second truck, a little better.

The first one had dry rotted drive tires, 3 out of 8, the engine was covered with close to 1/4" of grunge, the rear brakes were next to marginal in pad thickness, also had numerous leaks in steering, and engine leaks. The cab was filthy. I told them I didn't want that truck in Canada, so they sent out a halfa88ed mechanic to look at it, he said there was no problems with it.

The second POS that I accepted, has both cab extensions caved in, an aluminum patch holding the left front fender together, the right front fender is gouged very badly as well. The cab was completely filthy, the dashboard falling apart, as well as one of the cabinets. My clutchbrake maybe works 20% of the time, my windshield washers/wipers are next to trash, niether one of the doors will open without operating the latch handles a dozen times or more. NONE of this is exageratted, it's the Godhonest truth.
This company wants you to take "Pride in your ride", their words, not mine.
During orientation, a couple other experienced drivers were looking around. Guess what? The only trucks any of us saw that didn't at least have caved in extenders were the O/O trucks.
After seeing some of the moves from other drivers in this company, I can "almost" see why the trucks look like s%6t. Will I be there very long? I'm not sure, like I said, I plan on giving them a chance.

johnday 12-24-2007 05:20 PM

Oh, one more thing. They advertise the average age of the fleet tractors as being 18 months. Well, hmmm, mine is a 2005 that was put in service in June of 2004. Mine is probably one of the oldest trucks, eh?
One MORE thing and I'll stop. When I was issued the POS I now operate, it wouldn't start due to batteries being bad. Had it jumped twice at the terminal before I could even run thru the safety lane. Safety found a couple stone chips in my windshield, they were over-ridden by the mechs who said they weren't bad enough to replace the windshield. Well huh!!! Mechs having more say than safety? Something wrong with this picture.
Anyway, my batts were checked out. Yep, all 4 of them bad. Well, guess I'll get new batts. NOPE!!! Was told the truck was too old for new ones, put some used ones in. You guessed it, used ones no better than the old. Had to have it jump started 2 weekends in a row at home before I could get the POS out the driveway and to the dropyard. The second time though, the POS was taken to the local T/A where all 4 batts were replaced. Found from other drivers that if you have truck problems, don't expect the Werner mechs to fix it. Wait till you get out in the middle of nowhere so it HAS to be repaired.

There's more, but I'll stop for now. :evil: :evil:

movinit 12-24-2007 06:56 PM

Werner is famous for assigning a great high mileage load to a solo then after you find an empty trailer, spend all the time at the dock getting un-paid detention and drive it about 200 miles they will repower you to meet up with a team. You will receive yet another empty trailer or the tail end of a high mileage load (less than 200 miles) to deliver. We know this for a fact for we teamed for them. As we were swapping out the loads we would hear these drivers stories of unpaid bills, $250 paychecks and literally starving on the road. Many were trapped for they didn't even have enough money to quit, yet we were getting so many miles we were running out of hours every week. We quit because we didn't want to be a part of the game Werner plays on their solos. It has been several years since we left but from what we hear at the truck stops the game has continued on.

As for equipment, yes you can get good equipment by being a team.

BigAtrukn 12-24-2007 10:16 PM

Dont feel bad, Schneider is just as bad. Our daycabs date back too 99 with 600k plus miles on them and as for OTR trucks they date back too 03 with 600k plus. As for damage, if it doesnt affect your driving they wont fix it. We had a class of like 20 graduates at our terminal but they didnt have any trucks availible and schneider doesnt plan on buying any this year so far, hence keeping the older equipment.

johnday 12-24-2007 11:11 PM

Oh hey!! I don't mind a high mileage or older truck at all. Between CFI and Werner, I was with a very small company. I was given a 1999 379 Pete, that had well over a million miles on it, and looked very nice. Drove very well. The Century I'm in now does drive and handle well, just looks like a junker is all. It's certainly seen some very careless abuse. With my two former companies, you'd have been fired for abusing a truck like this. Sort of makes me wonder what happened to the former "drivers" of this truck. With a little money laid on it, it could be a very nice ride for someone who cares.

BIG JEEP on 44's 12-25-2007 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnday
Oh hey!! I don't mind a high mileage or older truck at all. Between CFI and Werner, I was with a very small company. I was given a 1999 379 Pete, that had well over a million miles on it, and looked very nice. Drove very well. The Century I'm in now does drive and handle well, just looks like a junker is all. It's certainly seen some very careless abuse. With my two former companies, you'd have been fired for abusing a truck like this. Sort of makes me wonder what happened to the former "drivers" of this truck. With a little money laid on it, it could be a very nice ride for someone who cares.

You know the funny thingis I wouldn't take a truck at Werner with bent fairings or a a badly tweaked bumper ,Because it was a refection of me , And to date the most I did was rub a bumper on the tail of a flat bed ,but it did no damage to the truck I was driving as it was a T-600 and the bumper moves back and forth a few inches on it's mounts ...Now in july of 2007 on the 3rd they traded out the brand new 387 they gave me to the Wal-mart fleet for APU's , and I bitched about wanting truck with straight fairing ,And I got it ,because I was listed as a trainer ...Now I got a trip to budweiser in Fort collins Co ,and went home after after dropping at BUD for the Fouth , And on the 6th I picked up a load at Peps in Denver CO ,and on my way across US 160 through Pagosa springs CO I hit derr that ran across the road about 100ft infront of me ...SO MUCH FOR THE PRETTY TRUCK ...

I took a leave in september returning on the 25th of October ,and I got lucky to get a T-600 in Pepsi blue with only a few scuffs on the bumper ,but the rest of the body was immaculate ...Well I took it home to get all my stuff ,and on the way back down to the terminal ...I hit deer on US 285 comming through Morrison Colorado cracking the entire quarter fender ....

Now you know if these trucks were beaters I never would have hit the deer ...However I like a good looking truck ,So the first time going through the Omaha terminal I sent it to the body shop , and they do great work s, And both times the truck looked better than issued .

ben45750 12-25-2007 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAtrukn
Dont feel bad, Schneider is just as bad. Our daycabs date back too 99 with 600k plus miles on them

At Roadway and Conway I drove day cabs with over a Million miles, no A/C and even a couple without power steering. The truck I drive now with Advantage Tank Lines is an 01 Pete with 700k. I could care less how old it is or how many miles it has, I don't live or sleep in it.

I have also noticed at Roadway, Conway and Advantage the older trucks run better and pull better than the new tuned down trucks. It's pretty much industry wide when it comes to local trucking the equipment is older. If I were a OTR driver, yeah I would go where the trucks are new.

ThinkingAboutTrucking 12-25-2007 04:44 AM

Hey everyone!!!

Thanks so much for responding. I do plan to look for other jobs while I'm home, but if Werner doesn't have me in a truck within a month after I test out, I've GOT to get something else, as financially I'm in dire straits right now.

Not to go on and on about it, but I feel like those folks in "Grapes of Wrath," heading for a better life but finding out it doesn't exist. The road to trucking has been like that so far. Perhaps in a couple years or so things will be better, but...

BIG JEEP on 44's 12-25-2007 05:12 AM

Quote:

Hey everyone!!!

Thanks so much for responding. I do plan to look for other jobs while I'm home, but if Werner doesn't have me in a truck within a month after I test out, I've GOT to get something else, as financially I'm in dire straits right now.

Not to go on and on about it, but I feel like those folks in "Grapes of Wrath," heading for a better life but finding out it doesn't exist. The road to trucking has been like that so far. Perhaps in a couple years or so things will be better, but...

I heard they were going to issue alot of the new trucks they have sitting in Dallas and Springfield this year...But then again they said that last year ,and it never happened.

This past November I was at the Omaha terminal ,and they were having students that just became qualified drivers take BRAND NEW trucks equiped with nice new APU's from Omaha to Fontana Ca Terminal for the needs of the Dedicated drivers out there ...I was told they were sending pretty much all the new Century's ,387's ,And T-600 off the omaha lot out there ...Now the good part they told these drivers that they would drive this brand new truck out to Fontana ...And the they could pick whatever truck they wanted off the Fontana Ca Terminal lot...For anyone that knows Werner ,and truck selection by terminal you are already probably laughing ...Well the drivers got done jockeying these trucks out to Fontana from Omaha for about $150 bucks (try to get a professional to move CMV's for $150 for 1500+ miles) But when these drivers got there thinking they were going to be picking out the truck of their choice they realized it was only limited to the $hit on the Fontana lot...They lost many of the drivers that went out there who had been sitting at the Ben Franklin motel in Omaha for 1wk or more who took the run to Fontana thinking they were getting taken care of . Which reminded me of the summer of 2006 when they had about 70 trucks built up at the Laredo Terminal ,and trucks were still comming in ,But no one was getting freight out , And they had drivers sitting for about a week , And many of the drivers did not get paid layover ...And they had drivers turning in the keys by the bunch like 30 or more drivers turned their keys in that weel .

I'm very bored sitting here , So when I start working in the next 10 days or so I won't have all this free time to share my 2.5 years of Werner stories ...But man I could write a book , And none of it ficton .

johnday 12-25-2007 11:11 AM

BigJeep; Since you've been there awhile, maybe you can give me some insight. I've only got 310k on this beater. Sounds like I need to get to Omaha to have the cosmetics taken care of. Oh, and the clutchbrake as well. What are the possibilities of getting someone to eliminate my complaints?
While at Springfield for orientation, I stumbled upon the back lot where there were a buttload of brand new t-6's. Some black, some Werner blue. I got the impression that we Canada drivers are supposed to get black T6's. Is that correct? And how can a Canada driver get to Omaha? I volunteered to take one the new trucks to Fontana, with a load I might add, and was told that since I'm in zone 7, that I couldn't drive 48. What the crap does that mean?

At Springfield, I felt like I was being set up to fail right from the start, even a bit of a discussion with a couple of the powers to be about it. Well, I thought it better to shutup and wait until I got out of there. That seemed to be the best thing to do. I've no complaints, and nothing but good to say about Kris and Angie, and the ladies and guys at Milton are just fantastic. Even breakdown was very helpful when I had a problem up in Levis Quebec, once I was able to talk with someone, it just takes a bit to talk with someone, and thats not just Werner. Every company I've been with it takes awhile when truck problems arise. Am I overly sensitive about this? Like I've said, I don't need or care if I have a new truck, just one that I can a little pride in.

On second thought, wouldn't it be better if we PMed each other on this? I don't really like it to sound like I'm bashing Werner on the internet, especially since I'm driving for them and trying to give them a chance.

BigAtrukn 12-25-2007 01:34 PM

I know what you mean, i drove for coca cola with there million mile 80's internationals that had no ac, radio, and had plenty of air leaks. Same with Overnite ( UPS Freight ), but they rebuild the engines which ment great running condition bad looking goin down the road. With schieder I had a 99 daycab with 600k, that thing was in the shop twice a week for 3 months till they gave me a new one. Werner seems to have nice looking equipment out on the west coast for the most part, but im sure if you bug them enough about it you will get a better one.

BIG JEEP on 44's 12-25-2007 10:21 PM

Quote:

BigJeep; Since you've been there awhile, maybe you can give me some insight. I've only got 310k on this beater. Sounds like I need to get to Omaha to have the cosmetics taken care of. Oh, and the clutchbrake as well. What are the possibilities of getting someone to eliminate my complaints?
While at Springfield for orientation, I stumbled upon the back lot where there were a buttload of brand new t-6's. Some black, some Werner blue. I got the impression that we Canada drivers are supposed to get black T6's. Is that correct? And how can a Canada driver get to Omaha? I volunteered to take one the new trucks to Fontana, with a load I might add, and was told that since I'm in zone 7, that I couldn't drive 48. What the crap does that mean?

At Springfield, I felt like I was being set up to fail right from the start, even a bit of a discussion with a couple of the powers to be about it. Well, I thought it better to shutup and wait until I got out of there. That seemed to be the best thing to do. I've no complaints, and nothing but good to say about Kris and Angie, and the ladies and guys at Milton are just fantastic. Even breakdown was very helpful when I had a problem up in Levis Quebec, once I was able to talk with someone, it just takes a bit to talk with someone, and thats not just Werner. Every company I've been with it takes awhile when truck problems arise. Am I overly sensitive about this? Like I've said, I don't need or care if I have a new truck, just one that I can a little pride in.

On second thought, wouldn't it be better if we PMed each other on this? I don't really like it to sound like I'm bashing Werner on the internet, especially since I'm driving for them and trying to give them a chance.

If your damage isn't safety related they won't fix it , So bent fairings will stay bent .

Werner has no designated Color of truck for Canada they do run Black T-600,Century's,And 387 for Dollar General , And try to keep Werner blue on the Wal-mart DC accounts.

Delivering a truck for Werner is not in your best interest ,As they don't pay you fairly to do so ...All the guys who have ran brand new trucks to Fontana thinking they were getting to pick a nice truck of their choice off the Fontana lot realized they were delivering brand new trucks to Fontana ,And werre being given the old trucks off the Fontana lot...The reason for this was that Werner is equipping the brand new trucks with Apu's and not the old trucks , And with the idiling rules in California ,And all the Wal-mart Dc's they service they are putting all the new trucks in CALI ,and on Wal-mart dedicated accounts , So basicly you bring a bew truck out for to be issued to drivers that will be running 11 Western or Wal-mar dedicated ,And then they trade off the Beater to you .

As for getting a decent truck these are your options...discuss your issues politely with disptch ,and then talk to rachel in what was called the Terminal Velocity Corodinator ,Which is now something else , And ask her to keep you in mind for what you want when they trade your truck out also ask when they might be getting ready to trade it ,as it does have 310k on it ....

Option 2 wait until the first of the year ,and see if they start issuing the new trucks , then after you have been out for a few weeks and have earned a few days home take a leave of abscence ,and turn in your keys this will get you out of the current truck ,And then call back up and say your comming off your leave this will give you the iopportunity to ask to see what's open and where ,and go get the truck you want ...Also you can refuse trucks at this point and be a little demanding about your preferance . However staying in your current truck could be 450k if its not sold , But those are the 2 options you have to get into another truck
without quiting , Which some drivers have done , And if you are recently out of training Werner is still collecting government Dollars for the first year on you , So if you quit they wil call ,and ask why ,and what they can do and most of the time you can get a decent truck out of that , Buit you have to quit , Which I don't reccoment ...The leave of abscence for a day or 2 works well .

johnday 12-26-2007 12:28 AM

Thanks for the suggestions Big Jeep. Think I'll try with my DM and then use the leave of absence ploy if need be. Man, this reminds of the power company I retired from a couple years ago. You had to play the system to accomplish much satisfaction there as well. See ya on the road hopefully. :)

mbadriver 12-27-2007 02:14 AM

What's Up With Werner?

Won't take much investigating to find an answer to that.

BIG JEEP on 44's 12-27-2007 06:51 AM

Quote:

Why would you go from CFI to a small company , and then back to a big company ,And choose Werner instead of going back to CFI :?: I know how you can get a good truck just go back to CFI done deal ,and a pay raise to boot . :wink: I didn't catch that you had experience I thought you were fresh out of Werner's 275 hour course after just getting your CDL ,But you have options...USE THEM GET OUT NOW !!! :wink: Werner is a place that is low paying ,And has twice as much BS as most OTR companies , And if you do have an incident working there you may end up not having so many choices in employment elsewhere ...GET OUT ...RUN...TURN IN THE KEYS !!! :lol:

ThinkingAboutTrucking 12-30-2007 01:56 AM

I tested out yesterday. They didn't issue me a truck because safety has a red flag on me. I need to get the company a prescription, and since I need to see the doctor first, it might be a few days. I'm still going to look for local work though. I just have a bad feeling about this company.

BIG JEEP on 44's 12-30-2007 02:35 AM

Quote:

I tested out yesterday. They didn't issue me a truck because safety has a red flag on me. I need to get the company a prescription, and since I need to see the doctor first, it might be a few days. I'm still going to look for local work though. I just have a bad feeling about this company.

If you do work there and go to work on their open 48 board or a regional board ,and are not on a dedicated run I would like to see you outline your weekly experiences with them as far as trips/miles/compensation /And weekly earnings .

CrazyTulip 12-30-2007 07:29 PM

Quote:

You know Interstate Distributor from Tacoma, WA has a training program when you just have your CDL you'll have to go with a trainer for about 6 weeks but they allow pets on truck. Also US Xpress same thing. I drove for the IDC and now for USX, lot of drivers will have bad things to say about each of them, but since you have no experience, I'd say try to get with 1 company for at least 1 year and then you'll know at least a bit more about the industry, where not to go etc. and you'll be able to make better decisions because you'll know more. Good luck!

johnday 12-31-2007 03:18 PM

Why would you go from CFI to a small company , and then back to a big company ,And choose Werner instead of going back to CFI :?: I know how you can get a good truck just go back to CFI done deal ,and a pay raise to boot . :wink: I didn't catch that you had experience I thought you were fresh out of Werner's 275 hour course after just getting your CDL ,But you have options...USE THEM GET OUT NOW !!! :wink: Werner is a place that is low paying ,And has twice as much BS as most OTR companies , And if you do have an incident working there you may end up not having so many choices in employment elsewhere ...GET OUT ...RUN...TURN IN THE KEYS !!! :lol:[/quote]

Well, what I did was get a job in northern lower Michigan where I have a house and 20+ acres. My wife and I planned on moving back there when I got the job with the small company. After being there 2 weeks, the company was notified by their insurance carrier, that I and another driver would not be covered because we didn't have the minimum of 2 years in. Hence, I resigned from there. So, I came back down here and notified CFI. All went well until the afternoon before I was to pick up my old truck. I called the recruiter to see if there was anything else to do when I got back to the terminal in Taylor. That's when she finally sprung it to me that CFI wouldn't take me back because of an "accident" I'd had back in June. Yes, I did knock the door of a trailer. No, there was no damage to my truck or trailer, and to this day I still feel the door from the other trailer was already on the ground. In other words, I really don't think I hit anything at all. They called it an accident, Werner and the other company I drove for had ZERO problem with it.
Talk about being floored!!! I got the impression that the "recruiter" had no intention of telling me any of this, and letting me find out when I got back to my terminal. CFI can shove it. Oh, but can I reapply as a new hire this next June.
Why Werner? They were the only company I dealt with that would put me back into Canada, there may be others, I really don't know.
So far, I've been deadheaded from around Quebec city, and yesterday from eastern Ontario, close to 500 miles, so I could have my hometime. I can say this much, my DM seems to take care of me.
About my beater. I talked to Kris and he tried to get me to Indy the past couple days. It didn't happen because of the load. He had me scheduled to go to Indy on Saturday, with a load out of Montreal going to Cali. I ended up swapping loads with a driver in Stonyridge, because he couldn't go to Canada. I'm waiting to see what happens before I pass any judgement.

retiredmb 12-31-2007 06:38 PM

CrazyTulip

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyTulip
Quote:

You know Interstate Distributor from Tacoma, WA has a training program when you just have your CDL you'll have to go with a trainer for about 6 weeks but they allow pets on truck. Also US Xpress same thing. I drove for the IDC and now for USX, lot of drivers will have bad things to say about each of them, but since you have no experience, I'd say try to get with 1 company for at least 1 year and then you'll know at least a bit more about the industry, where not to go etc. and you'll be able to make better decisions because you'll know more. Good luck!

How long did you drive for Interstate and how do you compair Interstate to US Xpress? I also drove for Interstate and am considering US Xpress, I tried to PM you but don't have enough posts.

CrazyTulip 12-31-2007 06:42 PM

Re: CrazyTulip

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredmb
Quote:

Quote:

I'll PM you then LOL
How long did you drive for Interstate and how do you compair Interstate to US Xpress? I also drove for Interstate and am considering US Xpress, I tried to PM you but don't have enough posts.

CrazyTulip 12-31-2007 06:49 PM

Ok maybe not as I cannot send em either. :evil: Anyhow, are you a solo driver or team?
IDC was a good company, nice people, good equipment, just not alot of miles. We drove 8 months for them as a team. I know their reefer side is worse on mileage than dry box so if you are considering it, go dry box. Oh nvm you drove for them already LOL - blonde moment. US Xpress is also OK, even though a lot of people have a lot of negative stuff to say about them, they are the same mileage wise as IDC though. But I think it's more of a nationwide problem rather than company. We are not on the regular fleet so we don't have the sitting and waiting issues as we constantly run, even have to let them know in the beginning of the week that I want a shower and do laundry or we won't have time for it. We are not on a dedicated but on a traffic lane, which is kind of similar but not quite if it makes any sense :roll: We run 5500-6500 miles on average a week. Then also we just got a brand new Volvo (2008) that only had 22 miles on it, as our other truck (a 2007 Volvo, so also still good) had 183,000 miles on it and they don't want their teams to put more than 180,000 miles on the trucks; then you get a new truck.
You are allowed to have 1 pet on the truck, deposit is $500.00, if you have a cat you have to have the front paws de-clawed.
If you have any more questions just let me know! :)

BIG JEEP on 44's 12-31-2007 09:52 PM

Quote:

Why would you go from CFI to a small company , and then back to a big company ,And choose Werner instead of going back to CFI :?: I know how you can get a good truck just go back to CFI done deal ,and a pay raise to boot . :wink: I didn't catch that you had experience I thought you were fresh out of Werner's 275 hour course after just getting your CDL ,But you have options...USE THEM GET OUT NOW !!! :wink: Werner is a place that is low paying ,And has twice as much BS as most OTR companies , And if you do have an incident working there you may end up not having so many choices in employment elsewhere ...GET OUT ...RUN...TURN IN THE KEYS !!! :lol:

Well, what I did was get a job in northern lower Michigan where I have a house and 20+ acres. My wife and I planned on moving back there when I got the job with the small company. After being there 2 weeks, the company was notified by their insurance carrier, that I and another driver would not be covered because we didn't have the minimum of 2 years in. Hence, I resigned from there. So, I came back down here and notified CFI. All went well until the afternoon before I was to pick up my old truck. I called the recruiter to see if there was anything else to do when I got back to the terminal in Taylor. That's when she finally sprung it to me that CFI wouldn't take me back because of an "accident" I'd had back in June. Yes, I did knock the door of a trailer. No, there was no damage to my truck or trailer, and to this day I still feel the door from the other trailer was already on the ground. In other words, I really don't think I hit anything at all. They called it an accident, Werner and the other company I drove for had ZERO problem with it.
Talk about being floored!!! I got the impression that the "recruiter" had no intention of telling me any of this, and letting me find out when I got back to my terminal. CFI can shove it. Oh, but can I reapply as a new hire this next June.
Why Werner? They were the only company I dealt with that would put me back into Canada, there may be others, I really don't know.
So far, I've been deadheaded from around Quebec city, and yesterday from eastern Ontario, close to 500 miles, so I could have my hometime. I can say this much, my DM seems to take care of me.
About my beater. I talked to Kris and he tried to get me to Indy the past couple days. It didn't happen because of the load. He had me scheduled to go to Indy on Saturday, with a load out of Montreal going to Cali. I ended up swapping loads with a driver in Stonyridge, because he couldn't go to Canada. I'm waiting to see what happens before I pass any judgement.[/quote]

If I didn't think I hit the door I would be asking for proof that I did it ,And if they couldn't produce it then it better not be on my record , But besides that still seems to be a rather petty reason to turn you down as a driver .

I hope you get a good truck shortly before this one falls apart .

retiredmb 01-01-2008 02:34 AM

Quote:

Ok maybe not as I cannot send em either. :evil: Anyhow, are you a solo driver or team?
IDC was a good company, nice people, good equipment, just not alot of miles. We drove 8 months for them as a team. I know their reefer side is worse on mileage than dry box so if you are considering it, go dry box. Oh nvm you drove for them already LOL - blonde moment. US Xpress is also OK, even though a lot of people have a lot of negative stuff to say about them, they are the same mileage wise as IDC though. But I think it's more of a nationwide problem rather than company. We are not on the regular fleet so we don't have the sitting and waiting issues as we constantly run, even have to let them know in the beginning of the week that I want a shower and do laundry or we won't have time for it. We are not on a dedicated but on a traffic lane, which is kind of similar but not quite if it makes any sense :roll: We run 5500-6500 miles on average a week. Then also we just got a brand new Volvo (2008) that only had 22 miles on it, as our other truck (a 2007 Volvo, so also still good) had 183,000 miles on it and they don't want their teams to put more than 180,000 miles on the trucks; then you get a new truck.
You are allowed to have 1 pet on the truck, deposit is $500.00, if you have a cat you have to have the front paws de-clawed.
If you have any more questions just let me know! :)

I would be Solo, was with IDC just a short while, may go back or with U S Xpress, will be in March. I like the Auto's so would be with either as they are the only "Auto's" out there.

dtryanxpress 01-02-2008 07:25 PM

whats up with orientation? how long and what will happen?

I'm going to Werner next week

gmh 01-02-2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtryanxpress

Two guys who went to school with me hired on to work with Werner. One of them gave me a call today. He's done with his orientation (arrived on 12/29, and finished already) and now he's in a hotel waiting for a trainer. He said he was talking to someone who has been waiting many, many weeks for a trainer.

Where are you doing orientation? You may be at his hotel if he doesn't get a trainer soon.

BIG JEEP on 44's 01-02-2008 09:01 PM

Quote:

Orientation will last about 2 days ...you fill out about 3 hours worth of paper work for past work history ,criminal,and driving...Then tons of paperwork for company policy .

You will be taking another DOT physical/Drug test your first day in orientation

after group orientation you will be given a had full of assignment to complete on the computer that you must pass before being sent out with your trainer these tests are very basic ,and mostly just brush up on pre trip /company policy in the form of some reading/videos followed by true false and multiple choice questions you will have computer based test to simulate Qualcom use .

Then after you complete all this you will be ready to be assigned a trainer , However depending on availability you might be waiting awhile ...But as long as you are available for a trainer you will be paid $325.00 a wk regardless of having a trainer or not .

Training expect to be on that truck for 6 wks ...

When you finish your 275 hours you may have to road test to process to qualified driver if you do't pass the road test you either go back out with a trainer for more training or you go home .

What to expect after all this is .26CPM on the 48 board ...less on regional ...And 1800-2200 miles a week averaging about $500.00 gross per week ,and lucky to Gross 26k your first Solo year .

dtryanxpress 01-03-2008 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmh
[

Two guys who went to school with me hired on to work with Werner. One of them gave me a call today. He's done with his orientation (arrived on 12/29, and finished already) and now he's in a hotel waiting for a trainer. He said he was talking to someone who has been waiting many, many weeks for a trainer.

Where are you doing orientation? You may be at his hotel if he doesn't get a trainer soon.

Indianapolis
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's
Quote:

Orientation will last about 2 days ...you fill out about 3 hours worth of paper work for past work history ,criminal,and driving...Then tons of paperwork for company policy .

You will be taking another DOT physical/Drug test your first day in orientation

after group orientation you will be given a had full of assignment to complete on the computer that you must pass before being sent out with your trainer these tests are very basic ,and mostly just brush up on pre trip /company policy in the form of some reading/videos followed by true false and multiple choice questions you will have computer based test to simulate Qualcom use .

Then after you complete all this you will be ready to be assigned a trainer , However depending on availability you might be waiting awhile ...But as long as you are available for a trainer you will be paid $325.00 a wk regardless of having a trainer or not .

Training expect to be on that truck for 6 wks ...

When you finish your 275 hours you may have to road test to process to qualified driver if you do't pass the road test you either go back out with a trainer for more training or you go home .

What to expect after all this is .26CPM on the 48 board ...less on regional ...And 1800-2200 miles a week averaging about $500.00 gross per week ,and lucky to Gross 26k your first Solo year .

I already filled out an app and they took that and i already answered those question about my background(clean),so I still have to do it again or am I good?

Im not to worry about cash on my rookie year but thanks for the heads up,I think they give penny rises every 4 months?

Bug 01-03-2008 03:04 PM

when i went with werner i did the 6 weeks of training and got my truck no road test required had about 6o students testing out and not 1 took a road test

GTR SILVER 01-03-2008 03:56 PM

what's the point of even looking at a company like this???????????? :? :? :? :? :? :?
could someone explain................... :?: :?: :?:

BIG JEEP on 44's 01-03-2008 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bug
when i went with werner i did the 6 weeks of training and got my truck no road test required had about 6o students testing out and not 1 took a road test

You didn't road test , But it is possible he could , As Werner has a quota for road testing , as safety requires a certain percentage of students need be tested after being trained despite the trainer road testing them , So it is very likely he could be tested . This takes place at all terminals ,But Omaha is the most likely to have road test a second time .

In 2.5 years at Werner I've seen many a student who had been road tested by his/her trainer have to go out and be re-road tested at the terminal . I didn't have to road test after being tested by my trainer , But many do , So you should plan on having to ,because it's likely you will .

BIG JEEP on 44's 01-03-2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR SILVER
what's the point of even looking at a company like this???????????? :? :? :? :? :? :?
could someone explain................... :?: :?: :?:

In my case I had 2 10MPH speeding tickets 8 months before I got my CDL , And out of the few companies my CDL school was pushing on the students Werner was one that would take me ...I'm sure that if I had researched the field I could have done better than Werner , As those 2 tickets was all I had on my 7 year and squeaky clean record every where else , But I figured I'd just wotk at Werner until those 2 tickets were atleast 3 years old...What really puzzles me are those fresh out of CDL school with not so much as a mark on their driving history ,and a clean everything else who get sucked into Werner ,And know about the better companies , But go to werner ,because of paperless logs ...Which yes paperless logs are can be nice , But for most that go to Werner they will also end up paperless in their wallet not just their log books .

dtryanxpress 01-03-2008 07:11 PM

oh no now im scaried! :cry:

so how long do i have to stay with werner legally?

a year right?

BIG JEEP on 44's 01-03-2008 07:33 PM

Quote:

oh no now im scaried! :cry:

so how long do i have to stay with werner legally?

a year right?

Depends on your back ground crminal ,drug/acholhol,And driving record ...if your good in all those areas you have options ...If Werner paid for your schooling ,and you leave before the contract is up you owe them the schooling paid back monthly ...But there is no legal requirement to stay there ...If you can get on with Crete or CFI you would still make more money there even after the expense of paying back your schooling .

Seriously I would look into Crete ,CFI, Gordon ...Even Knight . You will not make jack SH#T at Werner ...There are exceptions to this ,as they have a few dedicated accounts that are beyond easy that pay well Sears ,And Office-max are 2 of those rare accounts ...But you must live in a hiring area for these and if you don't you will not be considered for them ...Not to mention not everyone is lucky enough to walk off their trainers truck onto one of these even if living the hiring area ,and end up on a long list...So that leaves you looking at making .26 cPM and running 1800-2200 miles per week on 48 state , And even less pay on regional boards with their "sliding" scale which have most runs paying about ,21 CPM loaded with all DEAD HEAD miles only paying .15 CPM ...I did 11 western and ran a few 3k mile weeks ,and between the Dead Head ,and loaded miles I did not even break $600.00 gross . Werner is one of absoulute lowest paying OTR jobs around .

Think about it like this the poverty line is I beleive about 34,800 ,So if you look at 100,000 miles as your base pay which would be 10k miles a month X10 months with about 60 days factored in for home time ,and other non productive time ...So if your at less than .35 CPM your base pay is below the poverty line ...And it takes 10 YEARS to get to .35 CPM at Werner . but you will be making between $325 wk -.28 cPM in your first 12 months ...then .29 CPM for your second year ,and then .30 CPM into your third year , So even if you do get 10k miles a month (doubtfull) you will be making less than 30k for you first 2 years based on 100k miles of pay ...This not me bashing Werner with non fact filled statements , But the facts based on basic match ,and their pay scale .

steelhauler2007 01-03-2008 07:55 PM

Hey Big Jeep,you drove for Werner.Have any info on their flatbed division? Helping my brother in law find a job.

BIG JEEP on 44's 01-03-2008 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelhauler2007
Hey Big Jeep,you drove for Werner.Have any info on their flatbed division? Helping my brother in law find a job.

Anitque equipment that has seen far better days . no dump valve fot tight corners ,and just in general poor shape .

as far as pay Werner pays Flat bed .02 CPM less than Dry van 48 state so that's .24 CPM starting pay , And tops out around .33-35 after about 10 years ...Werner justifies the pay cut to it's flat bedders with the same reason they do for their trainers , Which is you will get better miles ...Yes on 48 state DRY van you will be lucky to extremely lucky to average 2500 miles where as on flat bed you might actually get 2500 miles a week ,But multiply .24 CPM X 2500 , and you still only making $600.00 gross and even if you get 3k miles you are only grossing $720.00 .24 CPM x 3,000 ...So really it doesn't matter what division you are in you will only make about $600.00 a week , and have a minimum time out of 17 days before eligable for home time . Werner is a 25k dollar a year job your first year and maybe 28-30k your second , and pretty much topping off at 30k for for about a decade only exceptions are a few of their dedicated runs . I always joked that the big yellow Werner logo on my truck reminded of the BIG yellow golden arches at MC'Donalds ...I guess that's why they pay MC" money to their drivers .