Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Maverick (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/29825-maverick.html)

cruzncoyote 09-23-2007 02:16 PM

Maverick

Good Morning CAD readers,

I would like to welcome myself to this board for the 1st time and let me start by saying last Friday I got a call from Maverick telling me I am now on the official “waiting list” of potential drivers that are to be sent to Little Rock, AR for orientation. I told them I would sit tight and be patient until my number comes up.

Because I found the awesome TMC thread (179 pages as of this date and still going strong) the most useful info for a company, I am hoping to start one for Maverick. There is info on Maverick but it is stretched over multiple threads in different forums scattered all over the place in here.

I am not a new driver. I do have my CDL with all endorsements. I have no verifiable over the road experience since spring of 1997 (yeah, lol, 10+ years). Like many new drivers, when I got into trucking in the mid ‘90’s, I did not realize how my being away from home would effect me and my family (wife and 2 girls). I gave it up after 14 months on the road and went back to a construction job.

{Fast-forward 10 years later} My girls are grown up, out of college, and have good jobs. I am ready to go back on the road and do some trucking. A life of construction work has kept me in good shape and I think flatbed is my cup of tea.

Anybody else that is starting out with Maverick and any old hands that are with them now, please jump in with some good info for us Maverick newbs. I will post occasionally as things get closer to my orientation date and then try to keep it going on a daily bases after I start. I am glad to be here and welcome all comments good and bad.

I will be in touch. Until later. See ya’.

cruzncoyote 09-24-2007 11:29 AM

Re: Maverick

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruzncoyote

I got a call from Maverick telling me I am now on the official “waiting list” of potential drivers that are to be sent to Little Rock, AR for orientation.

One thing my recruiter did tell me was that “if” somebody dropped out of an orientation and a spot opened up, quite possibly I could be asked to show up earlier. Wow, that would be nice but seems I have read other posts from Maverick drivers about having to wait even longer than the requisite 2-week period.

Well, anyway, if I do get called in earlier I will hop in my F-150 and drive to Little Rock from Dallas (5 hours, 300 miles). Maverick will send you by Greyhound bus if you so desire but if you choose to drive your personal vehicle they will reimburse you the bus ticket price to help offset your gasoline bill.

tinbender8700 09-24-2007 10:07 PM

Welcome and congrats for getting the good word from Maverick! I hope your wait isn't too long before you learn to do things the "Maverick" way. I wish I could tell ya what's involved over in Little Rock, but I did all my training in Laurinburg NC for the Specialized Division. At least you won't have to learn how to strap and tarp glass!...lol
Again, congrats, and keep us up to date!

Tinbender
truck 55981

hansman 09-25-2007 12:50 AM

Congratulations !!!!!!!

I`ve been working on getting into Maverick for a couple of months now and got the call this afternoon.
I`m heading to Little Rock on Sunday.I`ll be starting at their CDL school in Newport bright and early Monday morning.
Good Luck

Jay B 09-25-2007 11:18 PM

I got the call today that I am approved by Maverick. I am going to CDL school on my own now and graduate on Oct 26. Told them I would like to start orientation Oct 29 and was told it should be OK.
I asked a lot of people a lot of questions and looked around at a lot of forums and everyone (except one guy in Maverick specialized) said they are the best to work for.
All the other guys in the class are scrambling to send out apps now because they thought they had to wait until AFTER they got their CDL to applywith the companies.
About half the class has points, felonies, DUI or something that is going to keep them from getting the good jobs, but they were informed of that before they started class so some of them know they are going to be driving a dump truck locally for a while.

harleypiper 09-26-2007 02:00 AM

I too applied. I know I'm out of the hiring area, but single, no kids and not afraid to move to a hiring location, was hoping to get a call. Emailed, called and left messages about 2 weeks ago, no luck yet. Superior here I come.

cruzncoyote 09-26-2007 01:36 PM

tinbender8700
Quote:

Welcome and congrats for getting the good word from Maverick! I hope your wait isn't too long before you learn to do things the "Maverick" way. I wish I could tell ya what's involved over in Little Rock, but I did all my training in Laurinburg NC for the Specialized Division. At least you won't have to learn how to strap and tarp glass!...lol
Thanks Tinbender. I will try to keep up with this thread as I go through the process and post beneficial information.

Quote:

hansman
Congratulations !!!!!!!

I`ve been working on getting into Maverick for a couple of months now and got the call this afternoon.
I`m heading to Little Rock on Sunday.I`ll be starting at their CDL school in Newport bright and early Monday morning.
Way to go Hansman congrates. I am jealous I am not going this Sunday but I will remain patient and wait my time in line. Hopefully I will at least be in the orientation the following Sunday. If you see a guy driving a black F-150, that will be me. Stop and say hi.

Quote:

Jay B
I got the call today that I am approved by Maverick. I am going to CDL school on my own now and graduate on Oct 26. Told them I would like to start orientation Oct 29 and was told it should be OK.
Good job Jay B. You are on the ball for sure. Hope to see you at Maverick one day. Stay tuned on this thread to see what happens to all of us heading for orientation.

Quote:

harleypiper
I too applied. I know I'm out of the hiring area, but single, no kids and not afraid to move to a hiring location, was hoping to get a call. Emailed, called and left messages about 2 weeks ago, no luck yet. Superior here I come.
Sorry to hear that Harleypiper. My recruiter was Monica in Little Rock. She was really good about calling me back right away to answer my questions and get info from me. If you still want to give Maverick a shot you might want to call and ask for her.

harleypiper 09-27-2007 08:48 AM

Ok thanks cyote, just might do that. What did you think about Ollie's 1st year input? Keep us posted how your making out, congrats.

cruzncoyote 09-27-2007 12:39 PM

Quote:

harleypiper
Ok thanks cyote, just might do that. What did you think about Ollie's 1st year input? Keep us posted how your making out, congrats.
Ollie’s post was pretty amazing wasn’t it? Maverick seems to be two different companies entirely at the moment between the specialized and the long haul divisions. I am so glad he said, (quote) “You'll do fine with the Flatbed Longhaul Division. Their trailers are in good shape, and I haven't heard anything negative from their drivers. Good Luck.” That sure made me feel better.

Ollie’s amazing dissertation can be found here:

Maverick Specialized - The Rear View,

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=29891

mx302dad 09-30-2007 04:16 PM

Quote:

I am not a new driver. I do have my CDL with all endorsements. I have no verifiable over the road experience since spring of 1997 (yeah, lol, 10+ years). Like many new drivers, when I got into trucking in the mid ‘90’s
I'm in the same boat as you (haven't driven since spring of '98). What did Maverick require of you (i.e. school, refresher course, etc.)?

cruzncoyote 10-01-2007 02:13 PM

MX302dad

Since I was self-employed the last ten years, the only thing Maverick specifically requested from me was proof of self-employment. I sent them 5 years of company tax returns.

They did not require school or refresher courses. I have a feeling they did not require this because they were able to check on my driving experience with 2 of the 3 companies I worked for in the mid ‘90’s. One of the companies is out of business because Dick Simon Trucking bought them. The other two are still viable and I called them personally and talked to both to be sure they had a record on me. Also my MVR and everything else they might check on is perfectly clean.

As a side note in my preparation to driving again, I have been refreshing my knowledge on trucks and trucking by reading and taking the on line test you can use for practice when you are in the process of getting your CDL. I personally have found that I have forgotten very little and the biggest change in regulations is the new HOS rules.

Here is a link to some practice tests if you want to try.

http://www.testprepreview.com/cdllinks.htm

I do know that my knowledge is lacking in securing flat bed loads. I did drive a flat bed 10 years ago but the loads were sod, so the securement was the same on every load. Maverick has their school to teach all drivers their way of securing loads (and tarping). I am sure I will go out with a trainer for some amount of weeks to get day-to-day flat bed experience. This surly must be a requirement because from my understanding (and from common sense) there is no way Mavericks school could teach securing loads in every situation.

Hope this helps out and good luck to you if you decide to jump back into trucking. All my studying and research (and most people on this board) say Maverick is one of the top-notch companies to work for if you desire long haul flat bed.

mx302dad 10-01-2007 06:48 PM

cruzncoyote,
I appreciate the info. I've been contemplating getting back into trucking for a few months, and from the research that I've done it seems that CFI and Maverick are 2 of the best (plus Maverick tries to get their drivers home on the weekend).

cruzncoyote 10-04-2007 12:20 PM

Well, darn it. I was hoping for the best, but I did not get the call to go to orientation this week. My recruiter told me it would be a 2-week wait from the time they processed my application. It took a week to process the application, so it has been exactly 3 weeks today that I started this hiring process with Maverick.

Now, if I understood correctly from my recruiter, Maverick tends to hire drivers by state based on the amount of drivers already employed at the moment from that state. It seems there is a lot of drivers from Texas right now already working in Mavericks long haul division. Therefore, I must wait possibly another 2 weeks before I might get the call (sigh).

One beneficial side note: Sometimes drivers commit to go to orientation and then have to cancel. If a spot opens up, your recruiter might call you and ask if you want the vacated spot. Well, if I get one of those calls, I am there in a quick 5-hour drive to Little Rock (I am already packed, lol). I wish everybody that is waiting (like me) good luck. Wish me luck too!

I will stay in touch. See ya’.

cruzncoyote 10-13-2007 12:24 PM

YIPPEE!!!

I got the call and I am out the door this morning heading for Little Rock. My recruiter had a driver cancel so a spot opened up and I was the lucky one to get it. It has been exactly 4 weeks and 1 day since I faxed in all my paper work to Maverick. I will try to do my best to let everyone know how it goes and I will give you blow by blow of the process.

What did the recruiter tell me in that phone conversation? Well, there were some interesting things. The 1-week orientation pays $550 and they are giving me a $500 sign on bonus. A cancelled check is needed if you want direct deposit to your bank account. Bring your social security card and cdl license. I was writing notes as fast as I could and may have forgotten some minor items but among other things my notes have: long sleeve shirt, work boots, atlas, alarm clock, 25’ tape measure, calculator, bedding (blankets, etc.) CB (they install it and provide antennas).

I was also told that you could wear shorts but no cutoffs. There needs to be a cuff or hemmed seam. No tank tops and no negative or derogatory sayings on t-shirts. Facial hair must be neatly trimmed and no ponytails or hoop earrings. Drivers are expected to be bathed and wear clean clothes. Stinky bodies are frowned on (thank god).

They will get you to Little Rock by bus or reimburse you the amount of the bus ticket if you choose to rent a car or drive your own vehicle. My bus ticket from Dallas cost $78 one-way and it is 300 miles. I am going to drive my own pickup, which will most likely end up being left there until I can get a weekend break to get it back home.

I was told Maverick tries real hard to schedule a trainer for each driver that comes in to orientation so there should be little or no down time waiting on a trainer.

Here is a list I found of items to take with you. I found this on Rachelle’s drivers site in “Drivers ABC’s-Surviving the First Year”. I have added a few items at the end as noted. Hope this helps out. It sure helps me for sure.

What To Take With You
From: Rachelle in “Driver’s ABC’s-Surviving the First Year”

This is a very complete and thorough list of things to take with you. You may not be able to actually take this much while with a trainer, as space may not allow it, and it may not be applicable to you if you’re only going to be out a couple of days at a time.

Nonetheless, it is very expensive to have to buy things on the road when you probably can buy them at Wal-Mart for half the price. As you prepare to go on the road, make notes on this list and circle what you feel you need to have. A Note of Caution: relying on your memory when it comes to packing is not a good idea! Unfortunately, though, the Murphy’s Law of these matters is that no matter what, you’ll forget something!
· Refrigerator/Cooler
· Microwave
· Pillow
· Blanket / Bed sheets / Sleeping bag
· Clothes bag or suitcase
· Shower Room Bag
· Dirty clothes bag
· One week’s worth of clothes (depending)
· Coat/jacket & rain jacket
· 2 pair of shoes
Note: If you’re going OTR, you need to consider that you will be in all kinds of different climates. One day you could be in sunny Los Angeles and the next day you may be in wintry Wyoming. Pack a variety of clothes and use the layering approach. You can bring just 2-3 thermal shirts and trade off between them but have 6-7 long sleeve/short sleeve shirts and wear a clean one each day.

Basics
· Hangers
· Defense Spray
· Compass
· CB Radio and Antenna(s)
· Weather Radio
· TV/VCR
· Music / Tapes
· Briefcase / bag to keep paperwork in.
Paperwork Related Items
· Motor Carrier’s Atlas (it is very important to have a MOTOR CARRIER’S Atlas. There is info in it that cannot be found in a basic atlas.)
· Magnifying glass (you can’t believe how hard it can be to read an atlas late at night in the cab of a truck)
· Pens, notepaper, notepad, organizer
· Calculator
· Log book ruler
· Mini cassette recorder (these are excellent to record mileage at state lines, to record directions when you’re getting them by CB radio and to record any other thoughts and reminders to yourself.)
· Truck stop guide/directory
· A list of important phone numbers (Calling information from the road is expensive - bring all phone numbers with you that you think you might call.)
· ATM card
· 800 # to call home
· Calling card to make business calls
Miscellaneous
· Alarm clock, wind up, battery powered or cigarette plug in -- just so long as it wakes you up!
· Camera and film
· Spare pair of shoes
· Hat
· Books/Magazines
· Paper towels and glass cleaner
· Gloves
· Batteries
· Sunglasses
· Pain reliever(s) -- (Excedrin, Tylenol, etc but nothing with alcohol in it!)
A Few Tools
· Adjustable wrench
· Bungee cords/tarp straps
· Glad-hand seals
· Electrical tape
· Duct tape
· Screwdrivers
· Flashlight
· Slider lubricant
· 5th wheel puller
· Hammer
Personal
· Toiletry bag (big enough to fit all your bathroom stuff--try to get small trial size items or buy small plastic containers & fill them)
· Shampoo, conditioner
· Soap (truck stops give you soap but it’s the cheapest stuff available)
· Razor
· Toothbrush and toothpaste (highly suggested you buy a toothbrush cover)
· Shower shoes (beach thongs will do just fine -- and yes, they are a good idea - you can't believe the weird foot funguses out there.)
· Hair dryer
· Curling iron (?)
· Lotion
· Clippers
· 2 Towels and washcloths (a small number of shippers/receivers/truck stops have free showers for non-fueling customers but will not provide any towels)

My List (added by Cruzncoyote ------->flatbed trucker)
· Laptop
· Palm & Charger
· Inverter
· IPod & Charger
· Hard Hat
· Padlocks
· Head flashlight
· Tape Measure
· Baby Wipes
· Small bottle of hand cleaner (i.e. fast orange or gojo)
· Wire & Cutters
· Cover alls (insulated & non-insulated)
· 4 foot steel pipe to open/close binders
· Truck tire gauge
· Ice and snow windshield scraper
· Nail puller (cats paw or flat bar)
· 16d nails
· Umbrella

Jay B 10-13-2007 12:35 PM

Where are you going to fit all that stuff in your trainers truck?

Snake_Ize 10-13-2007 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay B

From the first sentence of the list:

"You may not be able to actually take this much while with a trainer, as space may not allow it"

coalregion 10-13-2007 12:56 PM

Quote:

!
· Refrigerator/Cooler
· Microwave
· Pillow
· Blanket / Bed sheets / Sleeping bag
· Clothes bag or suitcase
· Shower Room Bag
· Dirty clothes bag
· One week’s worth of clothes (depending)
· Coat/jacket & rain jacket
· 2 pair of shoes
· Hangers
· Defense Spray
· Compass
· CB Radio and Antenna(s)
· Weather Radio
· TV/VCR
· Music / Tapes
· Briefcase / bag to keep paperwork in.
Paperwork Related Items
· Motor Carrier’s Atlas (it is very important to have a MOTOR CARRIER’S Atlas. There is info in it that cannot be found in a basic atlas.)
· Magnifying glass (you can’t believe how hard it can be to read an atlas late at night in the cab of a truck)
· Pens, notepaper, notepad, organizer
· Calculator
· Log book ruler
· Mini cassette recorder (these are excellent to record mileage at state lines, to record directions when you’re getting them by CB radio and to record any other thoughts and reminders to yourself.)
· Truck stop guide/directory
· A list of important phone numbers (Calling information from the road is expensive - bring all phone numbers with you that you think you might call.)
· ATM card
· 800 # to call home
· Calling card to make business calls
Miscellaneous
· Alarm clock, wind up, battery powered or cigarette plug in -- just so long as it wakes you up!
· Camera and film
· Spare pair of shoes
· Hat
· Books/Magazines
· Paper towels and glass cleaner
· Gloves
· Batteries
· Sunglasses
· Pain reliever(s) -- (Excedrin, Tylenol, etc but nothing with alcohol in it!)
A Few Tools
· Adjustable wrench
· Bungee cords/tarp straps
· Glad-hand seals
· Electrical tape
· Duct tape
· Screwdrivers
· Flashlight
· Slider lubricant
· 5th wheel puller
· Hammer
Personal
· Toiletry bag (big enough to fit all your bathroom stuff--try to get small trial size items or buy small plastic containers & fill them)
· Shampoo, conditioner
· Soap (truck stops give you soap but it’s the cheapest stuff available)
· Razor
· Toothbrush and toothpaste (highly suggested you buy a toothbrush cover)
· Shower shoes (beach thongs will do just fine -- and yes, they are a good idea - you can't believe the weird foot funguses out there.)
· Hair dryer
· Curling iron (?)
· Lotion
· Clippers
· 2 Towels and washcloths (a small number of shippers/receivers/truck stops have free showers for non-fueling customers but will not provide any towels)
· Laptop
· Palm & Charger
· Inverter
· IPod & Charger
· Hard Hat
· Padlocks
· Head flashlight
· Tape Measure
· Baby Wipes
· Small bottle of hand cleaner (i.e. fast orange or gojo)
· Wire & Cutters
· Cover alls (insulated & non-insulated)
· 4 foot steel pipe to open/close binders
· Truck tire gauge
· Ice and snow windshield scraper
· Nail puller (cats paw or flat bar)
· 16d nails
· Umbrella

Your going to have to tag along a 48' Van trailer to the flatbed to carry all of that. :lol: Good luck and be safe. :wink:

Jay B 10-13-2007 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake_Ize
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay B

From the first sentence of the list:

"You may not be able to actually take this much while with a trainer, as space may not allow it"

Oops, nevermind.

cruzncoyote 10-19-2007 11:21 PM

Hey Guys/Gals!

Sorry I have not replied. It has been a very busy week of classes in orientation and there is no internet access in the Maverick motel (dorm) facilities. I am sitting in a McDonalds here in Little Rock because they have WiFi for $2.98 for 2 hours. I can’t say enough good about this whole experience so far. Maverick is a class act, bar none.

Here is a run down of my week so far.

October 13, 2007, Saturday

I left the house at 10:00am and had good weather and an uneventful drive to Little Rock. I was impressed how new and nice the facilities were at Maverick. I shared a room in a dorm style motel. We went to a buffet for dinner. I sat in the TV room with other drivers and talked all evening and watch a Nascar race.

October 14, 2007, Sunday

I got up at about 3:00am because my roommate was snoring at least 85 decibels. The first day of class started at 7:30 am. The instructors scanned license and social security cards and took badge pictures. There was discussion of expectations at Maverick from what we wanted to what they wanted. We were fed pizza for lunch. Other classroom topics were: pay, fueling info, qualcomm, HOS, logs, Vorad, and videos on much of this. We were given $50 cash to use for meals. I got a company van and went to the buffet for dinner with 5 other guys.

October 15, 2007, Monday

The day started at 6:30am after I got a bit more sleep last night since I put wax earplugs in my ears. We had to pee in a cup for our drug test and from here it proceeded into a full-blown “turn your head and cough” medical exam (minus the rubber glove test, thank god).

The next item on the agenda was the Maverick “Ability Test”. This was an interesting array of test, some of which I have never been subjected too. They started by doing a grip test with a device that measured grip strength in pounds. A range of motion test was done using these 2 round plastic gauges placed on different parts of your body while you moved that part of your body to check the amount or degree of motion. The head was checked from side to side and up and down. The upper body was tested by bending side to side from the hips and then the back was checked by bending over and touching your toes. Muscle resistance was tested by doing things like holding your arms out and resisting down ward and upper ward forces of the examiner pushing on them. They did this with feet, legs, and hands.

A pulse test was done after stepping up and down on an 8” high box for three minutes. Another test was to lay down on your back and do one sit-up and one leg raise (to the vertical position). They told us to roll over on our stomach and we had to put our hands behind our head and then arch the back and raise the head and hold it as long as possible or until the muscles hit fatigue failure. I held it for about 3 minutes when she said ok stop.

A technician then pushed and squeezed on different parts of the body (back, stomach, neck, wrists, knees, and ankles) checking for abnormalities.

A wooden box about 16 inches square with hand cut outs at each side (top and bottom) was loaded up with lead filled vinyl bag weights. They told us to lift it up from a squatting position to a full standing position and then lower it back down. We had to do this 1st using the lower hand cut outs and then again using the upper hand cut outs. Weight was added until you couldn't lift it any more with all the weights in the box (guessing I would say with all the weight in the box it was around 150-180 lbs.)

We headed out to the securement training garage and had to lift a 120 pound lumber tarp off the floor and place it on the back of the trailer. This had to be done 2 times. We then had to crawl up on top of a trailer from the back and were allowed to step up onto the DOT bar that hangs down off the back of the trailer. Jumping off the trailer was not allowed.

After this we stepped up on a trailer (using a ladder) that had 3 wooden boxes stacked on it. You had to climb up onto the first box that was about 60 inches tall, step over a 2 foot high box back down onto a third (60 inch) box and slide off it, back to the trailer. It sort of simulated climbing up onto and over stacks of lumber.

The final physical test was to climb into the cab of a truck using the grab bar, sit in the sit, and then exit the truck. Facing outward while exiting the truck would fail you. You had to climb down out to the cab facing the drivers sit.

After they fed us a sandwich, chips, pickle, cookie, and soda for lunch we went back to class. We looked at pictures of wrecked trucks and discussed why they occurred and how to prevent the same thing from happening to us. I was pulled out of class by a driver trainer along with another student and we went out and drove a Maverick truck with an empty trailer. It was a road test of sorts but involved no backing. We just drove out to the interstate went down the road for some miles and came back. Multiple videos and tests were completed and class was over after a long day.

October 16, 2007, Tuesday

It was another day of classes and we discussed communication between driver, fleet manager, and customer service representatives. A lot of qualcomm messages were shown as examples and much information was conveyed to us regarding the necessary messages used in loading and unloading. After another lunch of sandwiches we did more trip planning and logging exercises.

October 17, 2007, Wednesday

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, we had another day of classes. It started with a Highway Watch Video and then a voluntary sign up for the program. All the drivers in the class did it with nobody abstaining. After this we were taught about accident, breakdown, and routine maintenance qualcomm messages and procedures. There was discussion about inverters in the truck and we were informed that Maverick would only let their mechanics install a driver-supplied inverter of at least 1000 watts in the truck. The price to the driver was $200-250 depending on the inverter. This one time charge includes a Freightliner wiring harness and if you have to change trucks you don't have to pay again to have the inverter reinstalled in the next truck. If you leave Maverick they take out the inverter and harness and give it back to you. Truck washing, parking the truck and trailer for home time, fuel mileage bonuses, benefits, and a safety lecture was discussed.

Pizza was served for lunch and then the class walked over to the corporate offices for short tour. We all got the chance to meet our recruiters face to face and talk about anything of concern. I don't think I can stress enough how positive and truly genuine everybody is in this beautiful facility here in Little Rock. The whole experience so far here in orientation is well thought out and well executed with all company employees doing an outstanding job (pat on the back there Maverick).

October 18, 2007, Thursday

The class this morning consisted of talking about: professionalism, priorities, values, poor driving techniques, accident reporting, and cargo claims. When all this was done we were honored my signing our job offers from Maverick and received our Maverick work gloves, ball cap, and coffee mug.

After a sandwich lunch it was back to the classroom again for more log and trip planning exercises. We also did actually hands on qualcomm message sending and the instructor fired up one of those maroon freightliners and we had to do a very tight straight line back into a simulated docking area (don't forget to put your 4 way flashers on while backing).

I will send more later, when I get a chance to access the internet again. Hope everybody is getting something out of this and enjoys it.

Keep it safe. See ya.

steelhauler2007 10-20-2007 03:24 PM

Who did you have for an Orientation instructor? Was it Ed or Keith. Keith usually teaches the students.Since you got your job offer now the fun starts.Load securement,going to Ft.Smith for securement training there.Getting to meet Terry in Ft.Smith.Listen to everything Terry says.He is full of valuable information as are the instructors in Little Rock as well.The way you were treated during Orientation is the same way your fleet manager will treat you out on the road.Maverick is a first rate company.Been with them for a year.Haven't had second thoughts about working for them.

robertt 10-20-2007 04:46 PM

Hey steelhauler2007. Is there a way I can get ahold of you so I can ask a few questions? If you don't mind. I can't PM yet, Thanks.

cruzncoyote 10-22-2007 02:00 AM

Quote:

Who did you have for an Orientation instructor? Was it Ed or Keith. Keith usually teaches the students.Since you got your job offer now the fun starts.Load securement,going to Ft.Smith for securement training there.Getting to meet Terry in Ft.Smith.Listen to everything Terry says.He is full of valuable information as are the instructors in Little Rock as well.The way you were treated during Orientation is the same way your fleet manager will treat you out on the road.Maverick is a first rate company.Been with them for a year.Haven't had second thoughts about working for them.
Steelhauler, thanks for that info about Terry in Fort Smith and about the fleet mangers carrying on with this great Maverick flatbed attitude that I have experienced so far.

Both Keith and Ed (and also Alan) have taught classes to us during orientation.

mx302dad 10-22-2007 02:03 AM

Hey Cruzn,

Who was your recruiter?

cruzncoyote 10-22-2007 02:09 AM

Quote:

mx302dad Posted:

Hey Cruzn,

Who was your recruiter?
Monica was my recruiter.

mx302dad 10-22-2007 02:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

mx302dad Posted:

Hey Cruzn,

Who was your recruiter?
Monica was my recruiter.

Was she fairly knowledgable?

cruzncoyote 10-22-2007 02:21 AM

Here is some more training info:

October 19, 2007, Friday

The entire day was spent in the classroom going over diagrams of load securement and discussing them.

October 20, 2007, Saturday

Maverick moved us out of the dorm facility at the corporate headquarters to a near by motel called the Galloway and they do have wireless internet in the rooms (Wahoo!). It is very nice motel on par with any Holiday Inn I have ever stayed in. They had to make room for the new incoming orientation class. It was a day off from training today.

October 21, 2007, Sunday

We had a training day at Maverick in the “securement barn” and had to secure a mock up of an eye to the side, eye to the front, and eye to the sky coil. The instructor told us how much each coil would hypothetically weigh and we had to secure it with the proper amount of chains and straps. Later in the day after that was done we watched more videos on defensive driving, driving strategies, and driving pattern.

steelhauler2007 10-22-2007 04:02 PM

When are you scheduled to go to Ft.Smith for shiny bar training? Have been with Maverick for a year and have only hauled two loads of shiny bar. Hauled alot of grey bar to Laredo.You living in Dallas,you will get to go to Laredo alot.We haul alot of shingles out of Owens Corning in Dallas. Hope all goes well for you.

robertt 10-22-2007 05:35 PM

Hey steelhauler, did you get my message on the "Maverick questions" post?

cruzncoyote 10-23-2007 03:19 PM

Quote:

mx302dad Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:11 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Cruzn,

Who was your recruiter?

(reply)Monica was my recruiter.

Was she fairly knowledgable?
mx302dad

Monica was a sweetheart and bent over backwards to help me out. If she did not know something she would put me on hold and go find out the answer. I would highly recommend her to be your recruiter. You can tell her "cruzn" from Dallas sent you.
gl

cruzncoyote 10-23-2007 03:28 PM

Quote:

steelhauler2007 Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:02 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When are you scheduled to go to Ft.Smith for shiny bar training? Have been with Maverick for a year and have only hauled two loads of shiny bar. Hauled alot of grey bar to Laredo.You living in Dallas,you will get to go to Laredo alot.We haul alot of shingles out of Owens Corning in Dallas. Hope all goes well for you.
steelhauler2007

Our group should be heading over to Ft. Smith either Wednesday or Thursday this week. I am not exactly sure but I think we were told it would be for 2 days of actual hands on training helping drivers secure real steel loads.

Oh, and by the way, thanks for mentioning about the shingle loads out of Texas. At least I know I can get a few loads out of there and maybe a chance to get home when it happens.

robertt 10-26-2007 02:26 PM

Just got off the phone with a Maverick recruiter, (Tim), and he said the drivers are out 2-3 weeks at time. I haven't heard that reading on here is that true? I know things get slow in the winter but it's not winter yet. I know the housing market is slow but is it that slow. I really want to drive for them but don't really want to stay out that long. Anybody out there experiencing this? Thanks for any help.

Jay B 10-26-2007 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertt
Just got off the phone with a Maverick recruiter, (Tim), and he said the drivers are out 2-3 weeks at time. I haven't heard that reading on here is that true? I know things get slow in the winter but it's not winter yet. I know the housing market is slow but is it that slow. I really want to drive for them but don't really want to stay out that long. Anybody out there experiencing this? Thanks for any help.

The web site for Maverick says 97% of drivers home on the weekend.

robertt 10-26-2007 05:40 PM

Yeah I know. I just wanted to hear from somebody who is actually working for them right now. I was just wondering because I have never heard anything bad about them, with the exception of a guy who pulled in their glass division, but other than that everybody says they get home on the weekends and alot on friday or get home Sat and leave on Mon. Anyway, just trying to get the straight poop. Thanx

Jay B 10-26-2007 07:53 PM

I'm on the Maverick waiting list now and really hope to get called next week. The home every weekend deal sounds really good, but I also hope that sometimes I can ask to not get home every 3-4 weekends. 3 weekends home per month is good for me and the wife sometimes.

robertt 10-26-2007 08:39 PM

I talked to another recruiter today and was told the same thing about home time, 2-3wks, because of where I live, OKC. I just can't do that but I expressed how much I appreciated them being honest with me. Oh well. I really wanted to work for them but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

cruzncoyote 10-28-2007 01:34 PM

Here is how the rest of the week went in training.

October 22, 2007, Monday

We did 2 trip planning log exercises and then waited our turn to go out and do the backing test in a truck. They set up a mini course and we did a sight side parallel, a 45 and 90 degree back, and a tight right turn. Yours truly found out how different/difficult it is to maneuver a spread axle flatbed trailer. Multiple pull ups were ok and hitting a cone was an absolute no-no.

October 23, 2007, Tuesday

We went into the wash bay, because it was raining, and helped a driver resecure (and retarp) a coil load that was done incorrectly. Then we spent the rest of the day in the securement barn doing coils and tarping them.

October 24, 2007, Wednesday

We stayed in the securement barn until 5:00pm and then we all got in a van and drove to Fort Smith, Arkansas. The Ramada Inn in Fort Smith is an old fairly run down motel. I guess we all got spoiled in the Little Rock Galloway Inn since it was so new and nice. I should mention that this Ramada does have wireless internet and it is a much faster connection than the Galloway.

October 25, 2007, Thursday

We worked with Tery at the Maverick terminal in Fort Smith, AR all day securing shiny bar and tarping it. It was very educational and Tery is quite the colorful character. He is very good at conveying his knowledge to people and I certainly feel lucky to have had such a good teacher.

October 26, 2007, Friday

It was another day of securing loads and tarping but this time we did mostly real loads. Tery let us go at 1:00pm and we drove back to Little Rock. My trainer called me right as we drove into town and said he would not get into the terminal to pick me up until later in the week. That meant I would have to hang around and help other trainees practice securing and tarping in the barn. As we kept talking he said if I could get to his hometown, which is in Texas, I could leave out on Sunday with him heading for Houston. I ask Eugene in the training department and he said go! I hopped in my pickup truck and headed for the house and I will meet him Sunday night.

October 27, 2007, Saturday

Day off.

Crunchyknees 11-01-2007 05:17 AM

HI

Im surprised there is no threads about Maverick pay. Just how much are new drivers earning? Especially with the slowdown in construction and winter coming thats something to keep in mind.

thanks

cruzncoyote 11-04-2007 10:10 AM

Well it has been a great 1st week with my trainer. We have hauled sheetrock, sewer pipe, and two different loads of gray bar (steel). We have been in warm (i.e. t-shirt) weather in Texas to near freezing weather in Wisconsin (i.e. heavy coat). It is almost eerie how smooth everything has gone all week (knock on wood). Problems have been minimal as far as wait times (loading and unloading), weather, traffic, etc. Here are a few pictures of the truck with our loads (the skinny guy in the photo’s is me).

[img]
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...er001small.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...er003small.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...er004small.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...er008small.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...er010small.jpg
[/img]

coalregion 11-04-2007 11:48 AM

Those sewer pipes look eerily familiar to the ones I've been installing all summer up here in PA for the Municipal Authority I work for. :mrgreen:

BobMack 11-04-2007 01:14 PM

Hey cruzncoyote, glad it's working out for ya. I have a couple of questions, that's kinda risky driving a big rig onto a grass field isn't it? Weren't you guys concerned about the chance of getting stuck? When you get into that type of situation, could you refuse to drive onto the field and have them unload you from the side of the street? BOL. Thanks.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...er004small.jpg