Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Schneider Facts for newbees (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/25249-schneider-facts-newbees.html)

englishman 03-03-2007 08:14 PM

Life isn't just about money in the pocket..... It's sometimes about driver comforts......and possibly helping out the environment by not idling so much!
Perhaps a small way Schneider helps the drivers...No one ever said the webasco's are there to put money in a drivers pocket.... But hey, think about it, if a driver stays under his idle allowance, and keeps his full bonus, then it actually does put money in his pocket!
I never had a bonus less than $600 a quarter..... Which I guess is keeping money in my pocket! :D

mistergreen 03-03-2007 11:18 PM

And now they are testing out APU's to see weither the cost to retrofit 1500+ trucks is benificial to the company. From what I have read in the news letters it seems like it's almost a done deal but it would take a lot of time and manpower. I'm pretty sure the team trucks would get it first even though they are the ones that need it the least.

englishman 03-03-2007 11:23 PM

A year ago, my old stl told us they would start refitting for APU's, as far as I know, not one has been fitted to any single pumpkin to date!
But hey, I don't drive a pumpkin anymore.... YEAH!

mistergreen 03-03-2007 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by englishman
A year ago, my old stl told us they would start refitting for APU's, as far as I know, not one has been fitted to any single pumpkin to date!
But hey, I don't drive a pumpkin anymore.... YEAH!

Nope the only APU's are either on the new Lease trucks or the 5 Pete 387's they specially bought to test them out. The last time I seen one of them was about early last year. Instead of going with Thermo King like most other places are, they are testing out Caterpillar's version at $8k a pop.

Come monday I'll shoot a message asking what's the deal with them.

inmate1577 03-04-2007 12:17 PM

I have never had to take a trailer home with me, and its rare, very rare you will ever have to do so, unlike some flatbed companies that require you to take the whole sheebang with you. The reason they want your address is if you are one of these doofs who decides to quit and they have to come to your house to get the tractor.

I get paid empty miles, I also get paid bobtail miles. I dont know where that above "fact" came from?

The contract isnt any big deal. If you dont like it, hire a lawyer for $250.00 and he'll find the loopholes to get you out of it.

A year sounds very long, but a year goes by really damn quick when you are on the road a few weeks at a time.

SNI is no better than any other company but their training program is probably better than most.

Also about 10% out of route. There really isnt any reason to go 10% out of route if you can read a map and understand written directions.

My only complaint was that the first truck they gave me was a rolling POS, but that was a couple of months.

Crackaces 03-04-2007 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coalregion
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lewis friend
One good thing about schneider though is that they have the webasco bunk heater intalled on all their tractors. At least all the newer ones.

And this would benefit a new drivers wallet how? They're are on there for one reason and one reason only, to save "Schneidley" on idling costs. :shock:

First why not save the company money? Why is it all about your selfish need to somehow consume fuel because you can? This is the same wrong attitude I see when it comes to taking care of the truck. "Its a company truck. What do I care?" Well the truck is your livelihood. Any tool that represents how I live - I take care of it like it is my own.

Hmm I like to run a Webasco for the following reasons:

1. A quiet warm cab is a happy cab. :D :D

2. There are many areas in the nation that prohibit idling. Having a working Webasco means not dealing with the justice system. :x

3. There have been two times where the engine would not start and the heater became the difference between comfort and survival. A bad fuel pump and sheered fan bolts. :idea:

englishman 03-04-2007 07:04 PM

Being english and concerned about the thirst for fuel consumption here, I too, like the ideas of webasco heaters....
i have just road tested my volvo that I'll be driving for Koch trucking, after 3/half years in a pumpkin truck, I can only say....
1) the ride is quieter :D
2) The ride is softer
:lol:
3) The space is far better for the driver
4) Did I mention it has a rigmaster! 8)

Using fuel for the sake of burning it, will one day make people here think.... Hey, why do we have no more fuel...Oh yeah, we burnt it keeping warm :!:

I have noticed over the last couple of years....That drivers idle even when it's in the low 50's.....Are we all becoming "softer" human beings :?:

larryh31 03-04-2007 07:18 PM

Quote:

I have noticed over the last couple of years....That drivers idle even when it's in the low 50's.....Are we all becoming "softer" human beings :?:

I don't know about you, but most people in America set their home/office thermostats at around 70 degrees. And when you’re a trucker, this is your home/office...

mistergreen 03-04-2007 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larryh31
Quote:

I don't know about you, but most people in America set their home/office thermostats at around 70 degrees. And when you’re a trucker, this is your home/office...

70 is a house/office is comfortable. 70 is a truck is too damn hot. Smaller space and not as much air flow. Currently 58 down here in Pharr, TX and I got my window open and it's comfy.

jp207 04-08-2007 06:18 PM

I'll throw my .02 in here....I am small fleet owner leased to Schneider, and a former company driver...

I personally have had nothing but positive experiances with Schneider. When I was a company driver for them (went to the school) I had a great experiance, I also worked truck-rail for them, also a great experiance. Now that I am an IC with them, and them being the 4th carrier who I have been leased to, I can say that they really try to make sure I am successful.

Trucking is what you make of it. Your carrier sets rules and regs, you want to fight the system and be a cowboy, go for it...You will have 20 jobs in 2 years. Roll with the system, become good freinds with your ICA/STL and recruiter at SNI and you will have a "easy" go of it... :P