Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Any onhave info on PGT (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/24958-any-onhave-info-pgt.html)

Drill 02-19-2007 08:38 PM

Any onhave info on PGT

We had a job fair at my school today, Covenant, Werner, Schneider, Swift.
Arnold, Pepsi, TMC, Coastal Roahl and PGT all showed up. was not at all impressed with the Van carriers, Schneider had my interest until the recruiter said that the driver shortage is starting to dry up and the tides are turning. It seemed that the Companies giving the best info were the Flat bed companies.
I am really interested in going with PGT out of Pennsylvania, Don't really know much about them except what the recruiter had to say. Any info on them would be appreciated. thanks in advance

Snowman7 02-19-2007 09:19 PM

Dont know what part interested you but there equipment is marginal at best and alot of their tractors have small sleepers. If I remember right they start at 23%? If you like flatbedding I think you'd be MUCH better off at TMC or Maverick. PGT has alot of freight, mostly steel, so they're popular with O/O's but like I said company drivers can do better elsewhere in my opinion.

redsfan 02-19-2007 09:37 PM

Re: Any onhave info on PGT

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drill
We had a job fair at my school today, Covenant, Werner, Schneider, Swift.
Arnold, Pepsi, TMC, Coastal Roahl and PGT all showed up. was not at all impressed with the Van carriers, Schneider had my interest until the recruiter said that the driver shortage is starting to dry up and the tides are turning. It seemed that the Companies giving the best info were the Flat bed companies.
I am really interested in going with PGT out of Pennsylvania, Don't really know much about them except what the recruiter had to say. Any info on them would be appreciated. thanks in advance

I had an info packet from them, but I can't find it. Pay was percentage, I believe you started out at 22%, but you topped out low 25-28% or something like that. Might not be a bad deal if they're hauling high dollar freight always, but I doubt that's the case. I know they haul a lot of steel up here. They have a lot of trucks out of Worthington Steel in Columbus, OH. Talked to a couple of their drivers one was a former Maverick driver who praised PGT up one side and down the other talking about how much better they were than Maverick. Of course, he also told me that Maverick let him go for too many tickets...

This my cause a stir, but I see them as a 2nd tier flatbed company. Certainly not in the league of Maverick, TMC or Boyd Bros. The percentage isn't as good as TMC, but as I said 23% ain't bad if you're getting $4500-5000 in revenue every week. I don't think they're a bad company at all, I just think there are better flatbed options out there.

Good luck.

Drill 02-19-2007 09:48 PM

[Dont know what part interested you but there equipment is marginal at best and alot of their tractors have small sleepers. If I remember right they start at 23%? If you like flatbedding I think you'd be MUCH better off at TMC or Maverick. PGT has alot of freight, mostly steel, so they're popular with O/O's but like I said company drivers can do better elsewhere in my opinion.]
Thank you Snowman and Redsfan (go Phils) . the reason I liked PGT was because they get you home on the weekends and they are building a terminal here in Savannah with the opportunity to get dedicated gig that would have me home every night. I don't know if that is just the recruiter doing smoke and mirror tricks for me.
[/quote]

Snowman7 02-19-2007 10:18 PM

Having a terminal close by can be a plus. I agree with redsfan about 2nd tier. Large flatbed companies compete for the same freight. If you're going to go to the same places anyway and see each other you may as well be driving the nicer truck and getting paid more. Although Maverick and TMC probably get more non steel loads. They all get you home on weekends. I might wait and see if they do get the terminal and the local freight. By that time you'll have experience and knowledge of the shippers and if PGT gets the local freight you can get in then. They dont exactly have a long waiting list if you know what I mean.

woundwort 02-19-2007 11:34 PM

Insurance didn't seem bad from the informational sheet we got at our school. Blue Cross Blue Shield for a family was like $340 a month pretty much every thing covered co-pays were only $15

But the percentage was indeed to low 23% WON'T FLY. No tarp pay But they said the pulled mostly wagons.

Our PGT rep was very straight shooting and a hell of a lot cooler than the moron from TMC.

Double R 02-20-2007 12:49 AM

PGT is mainly a steel hauler. They do alot of work for USX(USS) Steel. They do have some dedicated wallboard accounts around western PA and OH. That is about as much as I know about them. When I ran local/regional for a flatbed company in Pittsburgh, PGT was not well liked at USX.

Drill 02-20-2007 02:20 AM

Thank for all the info guys, Woundwort don't need there insurance because I am retiring out of the Army. Snowman great info, They quoted me 23.5% and I don't get out of the Army until April and they are supposed to be having these new positions around June so by the time I am done training I should be getting ready to Grab 1 of these Dedicated positions. You did give me some stuff to think about.

redsfan 02-20-2007 10:50 AM

I agree the terminal in Savannah will be a little bit of a plus for you, but in this day and age that's not a huge bonus. One piece of advice I will give you, don't believe everything the recruiter is telling you. They will promise you the moon (and a dedicated account) if that's what it takes to get you to sign on the dotted line. Don't be surprised if when you start they say, "well, we plan to put you on that dedicated, but we need you to run OTR for a while first...". If that dedicated gig is worth it's salt, they will have a line of experienced drivers waiting on it and the chances of a noob landing it are slim & none. Slim hasn't necessarily left the building yet, but he's headed for the door...

They are primarily a steel hauler up here, but my guess is that if you're building a terminal in Savannah, you'd better be ready to haul several lumber loads. They do have several Conestoga Wagons (not really covered wagons) up here, but most of the ones that I have seen are the guys on dedicated accounts out of Worthington Steel. They even say Worthington Steel on the side and I doubt that other steel mills would appreciate them hauling their freight in one of those.

Most of what I have seen PGT pulling are true flatbeds. They haul a lot of drywall in and around PA.

You will get your fair share of lumber at Maverick, but my experience is that Maverick is first and foremost a steel hauler. They probably haul as much if not more steel percentage wise than PGT.

Again, like I said, not a bad outfit, but I believe there are better. I wouldn't let the closeness of the terminal be the deciding factor in my decision. That probably won't come into play too often, unless somewhere down the road you get something dedicated out of there.

Good luck.

tbogle05 02-20-2007 06:37 PM

Insurance for 340 a month? :cry: That would put a hurtin on 23% in a hurry. The company contribution has gotta be very low. Sounds like someones either got outrageous rates on insurance or somethin. If I was lookin at them that would definately be a deciding factor.

my wheat penny worth.