Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   what are good companies to drive for?? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/23911-what-good-companies-drive.html)

rontwo 01-15-2007 06:00 PM

what are good companies to drive for??

I am going to school to get my CDL threw a community college and will be graduating in March. I have read around these boards and found a lot of information on the bad companies but what are the good companies for someone who is fresh out of school.
So far I have been contacted by a few different companies, CRST, Schneider, and USA Truck.

I have also heard from J B Hunt however they only hire people with 3 months driving experience.

What can I expect from my beginning days with any company, training time etc?? any and all information would be helpful.
Thanks in advance!

mmjohn 01-15-2007 06:05 PM

what are good companies to work for

the first year is going to be the toughest, the best advise is that whatever company you start with really try to stay with them for one year. most of the larger non training companies want two years. we can recruit drivers with one year tractor trlr experience. if you can show one full year or better with one of the training companies it is impressive and shows dedication to your career.

jnk2001 01-15-2007 06:25 PM

Re: what are good companies to work for

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmjohn
the first year is going to be the toughest, the best advise is that whatever company you start with really try to stay with them for one year. most of the larger non training companies want two years. we can recruit drivers with one year tractor trlr experience. if you can show one full year or better with one of the training companies it is impressive and shows dedication to your career.

Not JB Hunt.

mikey4069 01-15-2007 07:26 PM

Might call CFI i here they are a good company . Talk to skywalker and he will give you the inside scoop. Bol

Useless 01-15-2007 11:02 PM

Remember, the answer to that question can only be found AFTER you have established your own sets of priorities.

Many Plan2B's and noobies tend to focus upon cents per mile, and miles per week. Now, those may be important concerns, yet for me, they were not my primary concerns.

My priorities were:

1.) Company's Safety Record

2.) Quality of Training and Trainers

3.) Home Time Considerations; I have a family.

4.) Accessible and Responsive Management

By focusing on those issues first, I found a company where I was well suited for them, and they were well suited for me>

BOL2U!!

madii'swife 01-15-2007 11:11 PM

Re: what are good companies to work for

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnk2001
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmjohn

Not JB Hunt.

:lol: :lol: :P :lol:

tken 01-15-2007 11:58 PM

rontwo, check out my post on "Why we chose CFI" we've been here 4 months now and I still feel it was a good decision. Also check out their drivers web site cfidrivers.com, good place to get questions answered. Good luck!

evertruckerr 01-16-2007 01:22 AM

There is only one company to consider. CRETE CARRIERS. Make sure your school is PTDI qualified.

yelir 01-16-2007 05:36 PM

TRY AND GET IN TO AN LTL COMPANY LIKE ABF OR FEDEX FREIGHT OR YELLOW BETTER PAY AND WORKING CONDITIONS (NO TRUCKSTOP SHOWERS) AND EITHER HOME OR MOTEL EVERY NIGHT CHECK OUT A SITE CALLED TRUCKINGBOARDS.COM

mikey4069 01-16-2007 09:29 PM

Marten transport is an ok company you will get all the miles you want . Just stay out of mondovi wi as much as possibly . ps if anyone goes to marten stay out of the bar across the street because they have spy's over there. :lol: :lol: