Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   TMC (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/22797-tmc.html)

irisheyes2448 12-05-2006 12:41 AM

TMC

Was wondering if anyone out there would be willing to share with me their thoughts on this company...goood or bad. If you could either send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
My fiance has applied to the company but we are looking for a little feedback...good or bad...whats the home time like, whats the average length of time away....pay is it based on mileage or percentage? how that works and such or anything else someone may have to offer

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Erin

Justruckin 12-05-2006 01:02 AM

I have not been up your way (MA) in years, as it pays good going in, but you get screwed coming out.

That is a tough one.

As far as the company, the guys I have run across that work there at TMC seem pretty happy. It all boils down to location.

MA has pretty much run out all of its manufacturing businesses, just as Michigan is in the process of, due to their liberal stances and taxation on such activity.

Your beau might want to look more towards LTL freight, or a move out of the NE to a more economically secure location that still has some manufacturing, and encourages such activity.

The main reason I do not do the Eastern Seaboard, you cannot get out without losing your ass.

But that does not mean much to you. Why don't you give TMC a call and ask some questions yourself. I am sure they will be more then happy to speak with you. And I say this in all sincerity.

Smooth 12-05-2006 01:10 AM

Check out one of the 400 previous threads on TMC

madii'swife 12-05-2006 01:48 AM

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...=16152&start=0

There's more information about TMC contained in that thread than I ever wanted to know! Also Flatbed Fred (goldiesplating) is an awesome resource when it comes to TMC, I know he runs a dedicated account somewhere up NE now, so should be very useful. They were one of my husbands' top picks but he was turned down. BOL

GoldiesPlating 12-07-2006 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madii'swife
http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16152&start=0

There's more information about TMC contained in that thread than I ever wanted to know! Also Flatbed Fred (goldiesplating) is an awesome resource when it comes to TMC, I know he runs a dedicated account somewhere up NE now, so should be very useful. They were one of my husbands' top picks but he was turned down. BOL

Thanks for the compliments!!

Erin, feel free to PM or call me anytime. I also sent you an email.

amgiles 12-07-2006 10:25 PM

For what it's worth, I'll give a perspective from someone who has been researching for six months - I am not currently with the company, but have submitted my application, talked to a recruiter today, and am hoping for a pre-hire soon with sponsored school to follow.

From my research, there are few companies that equal what TMC has to offer: Excellent training, excellent pay (especially for newbies - percentage, performance-based), excellent hometime (most weekends), equipment you can be proud of, and honest recruiters.

Again, I've been looking for 6 months by viewing company websites, and mostly by viewing blogs and forums like these. Overall, TMC has more positive comments then negative - some negatives are honest, but there's many negative posters that you can easily dismiss as B.S. Always remember no company is perfect and a LOT relies on communication and a positive attitude. For flatbedding, Maverick is the only company similar - I just wouldn't want to drive an autoshift maroon freightliner, but that's just me.

Definitely check out Flatbedfred.com, and as a previous post said, there's lots of threads on CAD - they're long and may take a few hours to read, but they're WELL worth your time.

Also, I think the feel you get by those who post on TMC threads speaks a lot about what type of people TMC attracts, and in return, what type of company TMC is. BOL.

GoldiesPlating 12-08-2006 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amgiles
For what it's worth, I'll give a perspective from someone who has been researching for six months - I am not currently with the company, but have submitted my application, talked to a recruiter today, and am hoping for a pre-hire soon with sponsored school to follow.

From my research, there are few companies that equal what TMC has to offer: Excellent training, excellent pay (especially for newbies - percentage, performance-based), excellent hometime (most weekends), equipment you can be proud of, and honest recruiters.

Again, I've been looking for 6 months by viewing company websites, and mostly by viewing blogs and forums like these. Overall, TMC has more positive comments then negative - some negatives are honest, but there's many negative posters that you can easily dismiss as B.S. Always remember no company is perfect and a LOT relies on communication and a positive attitude. For flatbedding, Maverick is the only company similar - I just wouldn't want to drive an autoshift maroon freightliner, but that's just me.

Definitely check out Flatbedfred.com, and as a previous post said, there's lots of threads on CAD - they're long and may take a few hours to read, but they're WELL worth your time.

Also, I think the feel you get by those who post on TMC threads speaks a lot about what type of people TMC attracts, and in return, what type of company TMC is. BOL.

I can tell you're going to do FINE at TMC. PM me w/your name and I'll look up you application for you if you like.

potenza 12-19-2006 04:20 PM

I started orientation in Columbia, SC on the 11th. The day before are log class we were told that if we were caught running illegal that you would be fired; in are log class the next day are instructor was giving tips to cut corners of the logs & tricks to fake the logs. Also with 3 different people are instructor brought up medical info in front of the class that pertained to the person which is a violation of HIPPA. So Thurs before lunch I called my recruiter to tell him what was going on. He had me talk to his supervisor to get a an investigation going. I told them that I wanted to leave & they kept asking what it would take for me to finish orientation. I told them I was willing to work with them ( I didn't know if the issue was the Columbia location or a TMC wide issue) I wanted sent home then to be sent to Des Monies the 1st opportunity. I was told to call back in an hour. After calling & leaving messages several times Thurs I was left stranded to get myself home Fri. Currently looking at other companies since TMC has yet to contact me.

richey94 12-20-2006 02:51 AM

If you have any other questions my husband drives for TMC and you can PM me also.

Useless 12-20-2006 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth
Check out one of the 400 previous threads on TMC

One of them is 80 pages long, and still growing!!

GoldiesPlating 12-21-2006 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by potenza
I started orientation in Columbia, SC on the 11th. The day before are log class we were told that if we were caught running illegal that you would be fired; in are log class the next day are instructor was giving tips to cut corners of the logs & tricks to fake the logs. Also with 3 different people are instructor brought up medical info in front of the class that pertained to the person which is a violation of HIPPA. So Thurs before lunch I called my recruiter to tell him what was going on. He had me talk to his supervisor to get a an investigation going. I told them that I wanted to leave & they kept asking what it would take for me to finish orientation. I told them I was willing to work with them ( I didn't know if the issue was the Columbia location or a TMC wide issue) I wanted sent home then to be sent to Des Monies the 1st opportunity. I was told to call back in an hour. After calling & leaving messages several times Thurs I was left stranded to get myself home Fri. Currently looking at other companies since TMC has yet to contact me.

As far as the log class goes I THINK you may be referring to how an instructor was showing you how to "cut corners" so as to maximize your drive time while remaining LEGAL according to the letter of the law. Having said this, here's how I did MY log. In the beginning, I ran according to the law and "logging it as I did it". This simply does NOT work in the trucking world. Doing it this way I found myself driving when I was tired and taking my LEGAL break when I was wide awake. This SUCKED. Eventually I drove as much as I could when I felt good (rested) and took my sleep break anytime I felt tired. This didn't always match with what the law wanted but since the lawmakers themselves are still fighting over and changing the HOS (hours of service) rules, I ran how I SAW FIT and made my logbook legal. I never drove "hot" because a dispatcher or TMC required me to and I never went too far outside the law but I'll be DAMNED if I'm gonna run unsafe just because the law thinks they know when I should and shouldn't sleep.
Get trained, get into your own truck, and run it the way YOU see fit. That's what I've done and it has served me well so far.
TMC does NOT condone breaking the law and WILL shut you down if you disregard it.

potenza 12-22-2006 01:08 AM

What he was teaching wasn't "cutting corners" it was faking logs. I called Jason my recruiter to tell him what was going on to qoute Jason he he called what was going on in SC "half *****" They don't condone & shouldn't be teaching what he was & they are investigating it. I was in a class of 22 by thetime I left he had lost half the class & the other class what was consirned about what was going on & having thoughts of leaving.

yellow wolf 12-22-2006 01:14 AM

hmmm i was in the dec 4th class,which is the one before yours and i had no such problems,we had 20 in our class and lost folks to the drug test,high blood pressure,lieing on the back ground search and such and everyone that had to leave had a reason that was not their fault,lol

motman68 12-22-2006 01:51 AM

Thats one of the biggest reasons i had left TMC my trainer was showing me how to cheat on my log book he said everyone does it

TMCTrainer9224 12-22-2006 07:27 AM

TMC Info

I have been with TMC for a while, it has its good points as well as bad. I have found a niche with the company and am reasonably happy. I still have times when I get mad about not getting home when I want or taking some crap load but that is anywhere. TMC has consistently paid my bills. Flatbed Fred is a kissass FYI. He is way to excited, he is only interested in making money for recruiting. I wont lie to you, are you gonna get home every w/e... sometimes you will. I just got home from 6 weeks out, yes I spent thanksgiving on the road b/c there was no freight going towards my house and no drivers willing to swap out. I get home about 80% of the time I ask to. This time of year freight is awful but that is typical, from thanksgiving til about march flatbed freight is generally slow. HAPPENS EVERY YEAR!! If you got people complaining about it, thats b/c they are rookies who have not worked through more than one winter. The trick to flatbedding is to enjoy the slow winter months and bust out the summer.
If you are looking to start flatbedding TMC is a good place, they have one of the best training routines out there. Most drivers that I know who are trainers really take it seriously. Flatbedding is dangerous, it takes a soecial kind of person to handle it. I teach my trainees everything I can to help them do thier job safely. Our companies stance on safety is pretty strong. If you want to do it right, look good doing it, and make decent money this is the place. I will bw happy to answer any questions, my email is [email protected]

TMCTrainer9224 12-22-2006 07:38 AM

Quote:

I started orientation in Columbia, SC on the 11th. The day before are log class we were told that if we were caught running illegal that you would be fired; in are log class the next day are instructor was giving tips to cut corners of the logs & tricks to fake the logs
:!:

I find this hard to be true, Dennis and Shaun the guys that do orientation in Columbia are straight up. They didnt get to where they are by breaking company policy and teaching newbies how to cheat logs. What more than likely happened is that you dont know the rules concerning logs as well as you think an misunderstood what they were saying. I am certain they were explaining to you how to maximize your breaks and drivetime to get you load where it needs to be.

GoldiesPlating 12-22-2006 06:15 PM

Re: TMC Info

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMCTrainer9224
I have been with TMC for a while, it has its good points as well as bad. I have found a niche with the company and am reasonably happy. I still have times when I get mad about not getting home when I want or taking some crap load but that is anywhere. TMC has consistently paid my bills. Flatbed Fred is a kissass FYI. He is way to excited, he is only interested in making money for recruiting. I wont lie to you, are you gonna get home every w/e... sometimes you will. I just got home from 6 weeks out, yes I spent thanksgiving on the road b/c there was no freight going towards my house and no drivers willing to swap out. I get home about 80% of the time I ask to. This time of year freight is awful but that is typical, from thanksgiving til about march flatbed freight is generally slow. HAPPENS EVERY YEAR!! If you got people complaining about it, thats b/c they are rookies who have not worked through more than one winter. The trick to flatbedding is to enjoy the slow winter months and bust out the summer.
If you are looking to start flatbedding TMC is a good place, they have one of the best training routines out there. Most drivers that I know who are trainers really take it seriously. Flatbedding is dangerous, it takes a soecial kind of person to handle it. I teach my trainees everything I can to help them do thier job safely. Our companies stance on safety is pretty strong. If you want to do it right, look good doing it, and make decent money this is the place. I will bw happy to answer any questions, my email is [email protected]

Well there's ALWAYS gotta be ONE in a crowd and I guess the "one" is you. I've NEVER spoken bad about a TMC employee before but I guess there is a first time for EVERYTHING so here goes.. You are an A$$HOLE. I make NOTHING for recruiting and if you'd like to bet on it. I'll bet you five grand and PAY YOUR PLANE FARE or have your truck routed to my town if you would like to come and see my pay stub records to check for yourself. I made an agreement a WHILE back with TMC AGAINST getting ANY recruiting bonus for the work I do as it would have tarnished my image and been held against me just as YOU are ATTEMPTING to do now. Like I said, I'll even go as far as to have dispatch route you HERE with a load so you won't loose any time or money to "see for yourself". I do what I do because I was a web designer in the past and it is easy for me and I TRULY enjoy helping people. Ask ANYONE I've spoken to on here. I am NOT a kiss ass and ALL of my fleet managers have had MORE than their share of attitude from me. I am a New Yorker with a bad attitude towards those morons (yourself included) out there who give me $hit.The only "perk" I get from TMC for my efforts is a toll free number routed to my cell phone, a NEW truck to drive, and respectful pleasant treatment from my friends in Des Moines. If there is any way you think I may be able to help "prove you wrong" feel free to let me know any time. Until then, shut your pie hole before I meet you on the road and teach you a few things that you have obviously not learned yet as a trainer. Another option for you (if you are James Lee D.) is to CALL recruiting and speak to Matt or Clint and ask THEM what I make.
Oh yeah, Happy Holidays All.

TMCTrainer9224 12-22-2006 06:44 PM

Your full of $hit Fred. Im routed to San Diego for Friday come find if you want to back up what you say, I dont waste my time on turds like you. You think you are such a hotshot, people in des moines talk so much $hit about you and you dont even realize. Crawl back under the rock you came out from under and shutup.

GoldiesPlating 12-22-2006 06:50 PM

Quote:

Your full of $hit Fred. Im routed to San Diego for Friday come find if you want to back up what you say, I dont waste my time on turds like you. You think you are such a hotshot, people in des moines talk so much $hit about you and you dont even realize. Crawl back under the rock you came out from under and shutup.

Hmmm, guess I can't help EVERYONE. No matter to me. I'm home EVERY DAY, EVERY WEEKEND, and will ALWAYS be happier than YOU. Sorry you are so bent out of shape. And yes, I AM a "Hot Shot". Sorry Alabama boy.

vonSeggern 12-22-2006 07:05 PM

STFU

Can't we all just get along AND just have ONE FRIKKEN TMC THREAD?

No wait, everyone keep posting nastygrams to each other on this one and CAD will just kill it.

TMC 12-22-2006 07:09 PM

James, I would check your facts b4 going on here and starting arguments about something you don't know.

Matt Warren- Recruiting

mudflap276 12-22-2006 07:14 PM

merry christmas boys and girls. dont make me pull this truck over and separate you two :lol:

GoldiesPlating 12-22-2006 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudflap276
merry christmas boys and girls. dont make me pull this truck over and separate you two :lol:

Hehehe Merry Christmas MudFlap. Have a happy and Healthy both you and your family.

GoldiesPlating 12-22-2006 07:42 PM

Re: STFU

Quote:

Originally Posted by vonSeggern
Can't we all just get along AND just have ONE FRIKKEN TMC THREAD?

No wait, everyone keep posting nastygrams to each other on this one and CAD will just kill it.

"It's ALL good" Von. Just IRKS me no end when people think I'm some scalper harvesting recruits. I talk to dozens of guys each week who are confused, nervous or totally misinformed about trucking in general. I try to tell them ALL the good AND bad about TMC and trucking in general and then some putz outta "left field" who doesn't even KNOW me and has NEVER spoken to me comes up with some bull$hit statement like he did and it pi$$es me off. I wouldn't mind criticism from someone who knows at least SOMETHING about me, but to have a young punk like him come on here and act like he did is just wrong.
Merry Christmas to you and Yours Von. Stay safe!
Fred

TMCTrainer9224 12-22-2006 07:46 PM

Matt dont get in this, I like you. You are a good guy. I dont like Fred.

Fred your such a chicken$hit, I could get home every W/E if I wanted to, I choose not to. I am very happy with my job and make good money. Good luck to you and I hope you do get the chance to try and kick my a$$.

TMC 12-22-2006 08:03 PM

James

Not a good idea to bash fellow employees, I have pm'd both you and Fred. Yes I can get into this, if you guys want to fight, PM each other and keep your childish fights off this board. I'm sure the CAD admins would agree with me. Thanks and have a good holiday.

Matt

GoldiesPlating 12-22-2006 08:28 PM

Quote:

Matt dont get in this, I like you. You are a good guy. I dont like Fred.

Fred your such a chicken$hit, I could get home every W/E if I wanted to, I choose not to. I am very happy with my job and make good money. Good luck to you and I hope you do get the chance to try and kick my a$$.

Just curious, aside from our argument just now on HERE.... WHY don't you like me? If it is something I've done wrong to you, please let me know as it was NEVER my intention to do wrong by anyone here and I will apologize. If it's because you THINK I am a liar, please check your FACTS first with TMC's recruiting department and then I'll accept your apology.
If it's just that your pi$$ed at the world or jealous in some twisted way, I'm afraid I can't do much to change your mind.
I do feel that not likeing someone for no apparant reason is quite odd.

TMCTrainer9224 12-22-2006 08:28 PM

First off nothing said between myself and Fred should reflect on TMC, TMC is a great company. I have a problem with him but has nothing to do with TMC. I like working for TMC and it has been great for me and I am sure anyone else can have the same experience if they put forth the effort and hardwork to excel. TMC has a high standard of excellence and will not accept anything less. If anything I have said reflects negatively on TMC I apologize and will refrain from further post on this forum by my own choice.

vonSeggern 12-22-2006 09:16 PM

Quote:

First off nothing said between myself and Fred should reflect on TMC, TMC is a great company. I have a problem with him but has nothing to do with TMC. I like working for TMC and it has been great for me and I am sure anyone else can have the same experience if they put forth the effort and hardwork to excel. TMC has a high standard of excellence and will not accept anything less. If anything I have said reflects negatively on TMC I apologize and will refrain from further post on this forum by my own choice.

When you dis someone publicly, and, you put your truck number in your screen name, bad things are bound to happen.

ToolMaker 12-23-2006 03:52 AM

Let's be honest here......nobody cares whether or not you like/dislike somebody around here......the fact is Fred is a "positive influence" on this board....often when there's tons of negativity.

He's always been quick to answer any questions I've had and I appreciate him for that. Merry Christmas to all....and a prosperous New Year to all of us!!

jeff

GoldiesPlating 12-23-2006 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToolMaker
Let's be honest here......nobody cares whether or not you like/dislike somebody around here......the fact is Fred is a "positive influence" on this board....often when there's tons of negativity.

He's always been quick to answer any questions I've had and I appreciate him for that. Merry Christmas to all....and a prosperous New Year to all of us!!

jeff

Thanks Jeff. Merry Christmas to you and yours too!

terrylamar 12-23-2006 03:13 PM

Quote:

I, too, have heard a lot about flatbed fred in Des Moines. Only, everyone I have talked to has the utmost respect for Fred. I think highly of Fred, I haven't talked to him over the phone or face to face. He has answered some emails. I get most of my information from his website and his post here and other websites. I thought he was a genius with his website and recruiting efforts. More power to him. Now that I find out he isn't getting recruiting bonuses my respect for him has gone up tenfold. I don't know if he is getting any compensation of any type. Do this just to help prospective TMC employees is admirable. Fred don't listen to the negativity here and on other sites. You are doing a good job. Keep it up for those out there that need the help the most, the newbies.

Doktari 12-23-2006 04:57 PM

I'm an ultra noobie here and have posted my share of noobie questions and such. In doing so, I've read oodles of threads, be they pertinent to me or not and have run across many threads where Fred has offered input and advice, all with a positive attitude. This whole time I figured he was gettng recruiting $$$ if drivers went to TMC and mentioned his name, and if he were my openion would be "go for it dude, you deserve it." It's not like he's got recruiting messages flying all over CAD or anything. He's got his website on his sig. So what. If a few people find their way to his website, call him, get some questions answered and decide to go to TMC then I say pay the guy. But that's me. All's fair in love, war, and business IMHO.

That's my 2 cents.

Keep on keeping on Fred. Oh, and I'm not going with TMC cuz my old aching knees told me they'd leave me if I did. :)

vonSeggern 12-23-2006 06:00 PM

It's like this.

Sorry but Fred is not a schill from TMC in the recruiting department. Fred is just a guy that is enthusiastic about his company and does a good job at that.

If you think he makes big money on recruiting a driver you are wrong. TMC pays us $100 for every driver that gets into a truck. That means they have to make it through orientation and 6 weeks with a trainer. I think the odds to flop a set in Hold 'em are far better than the odds of seeing your $100.

Despite whatever flaws the company might have, we believe that TMC is a good company that is of high integrity. As conscientious employees, we want good drivers in the fleet, not the thrill of getting a whopping $100 in our paychecks.

Duce 12-23-2006 07:26 PM

9224? what was the reason that you left tmc the first time? and what made you come back :?:

AsphaltBound 12-24-2006 05:47 AM

$100

TMC recruiter that came into our TDS said something about $ 100 just for stopping in any TDS and letting everyone see the shiny TMC truck and saying "This could be you", is this different than what your talking about?

terrylamar 12-24-2006 06:01 AM

Re: $100

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsphaltBound
TMC recruiter that came into our TDS said something about $ 100 just for stopping in any TDS and letting everyone see the shiny TMC truck and saying "This could be you", is this different than what your talking about?

A driver in coordination with recruiting can do this. It is $100.00 per authorized visit. A driver can refer another driver and get $100.00 for a new driver. I'm not sure what it is for an experienced driver. This is $100.00 per driver.

vonSeggern 12-24-2006 11:43 AM

Re: $100

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsphaltBound

Yes, I forgot about this.
Many times these visits are on a Saturday. It just isn't worth $100 for me personally to give up a good part of my day. During the week, if I was running a load, maybe but probably not.

GoldiesPlating 12-24-2006 08:20 PM

Thanks everyone, your comments were a much needed boost. SOMETIMES, negative posts DO get to me and that's usually when you see me loose my cool. I spend a day or two asking myself if I should continue my efforts. Then posts like these come along and help me redouble my efforts. Happy Holidays and God Bless.
Just for public knowledge here are some figures to go over on my earnings BEFORE I stopped taking recruiting "bonuses".
$500.00 - Paid to me for an experienced driver I recruited.
$200.00 - Paid to me for two new drivers I recruited.
$200.00 - Paid to me for two schools I visited with my truck.

and NOW:
A toll free number directed to my cell phone for people to call.
A brand new daycab to drive.
A relatively easy gig running dedicated with first pick of load choices and a guaranteed salary running dedicated.
An OUTSTANDING female fleet manager who cares a LOT about her drivers.
Home every day, weekends and holidays and working VERY close to home.

Doktari 12-24-2006 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating
and NOW:
A toll free number directed to my cell phone for people to call.
A brand new daycab to drive.
A relatively easy gig running dedicated with first pick of load choices and a guaranteed salary running dedicated.
An OUTSTANDING female fleet manager who cares a LOT about her drivers.
Home every day, weekends and holidays and working VERY close to home.

What more could ya ask for? Well, I can think of some things but I'm a greedy bastard. :)

Amazing what a little negotiation can get ya. :) Congrats man!