Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   WHY WORK FOR A OTR COMPANY GO LTL (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/21784-why-work-otr-company-go-ltl.html)

Ian Williams 05-22-2007 04:35 PM

Re: WHY WORK FOR A OTR COMPANY GO LTL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth

Yeah , you would have to gross around $2400 a week (give or take a hundred or so) to bring home $1500 a week , not happening .

There are a host of factors that effect your net vs gross. If you had a bunch of dependents and a large mortgage in a no income tax state like Nevada its possible to take home 80% of your gross.

I know you can claim a portion of your earnings as per-diem OTR too.

My take home is ~70% of my gross and I have my 401k dialed up to 10%. As soon as I get my step and COLA raises in July I'm bumping it up to 15%+

I always wonder why OTR drivers live in high tax states like CA or NY, even if its only on paper you can move to NV, NH etc. Given that you are OTR the majority of the time the high cost state can't nail you on time spend at "home."

ssoutlaw 05-22-2007 05:06 PM

What we are getting at, is the fairy tale of the drivers take home pay as to what he groses. Should have started the story with "you aint gonna believe this shi$".....lol

Odie 05-22-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
Quote:

Originally Posted by Odie
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRIVERMAN77077
WHY WOULD ANYONE WORK FOR ONE OF THOSE CHEAP OTR COMPANIES LIKE USA WERNER SWIFT OR JB HUNT THAT ONLY PAY AROUND 30 CENTS A MILE? WHY NOT GET A HAZMAT AND DOUBLES ENDORSEMENTS AND GO TO SAIA AAA COOPER FED EX FREIGHT COMPANYS THAT PAY 42 TO 52 CENTS A MILE OR DO YOU GUYS LIKE TO WORK LIKE ILLEGAL ALIENS :twisted: :evil: :P

For the most part in my career (10 years) I have pondered this also. I have worked 6 years in LTL (Con-way, Averitt) and it was great pay, home every day, and great benefits. I must say that now I work for a big OTR company but, I work on a dedicated account where I can be home everyday or, I can run the wheels off the truck if I want to. Actually, the money is better now than it was in LTL plus, I get a nice truck to drive but, I like to run hard and I guarntee I am in the minority.

Quite honestly, IMO most OTR drivers are not cut out for LTL. I am not going to lie about it, LTL is harder work by far than a big OTR company and the vast majority of drivers I have had contact with do not want to work hard and heavens forbid they get any excercise on the job doing work. They want to make the big money but, they dont want to put forth the effort it takes to make that kind of cheese. Actually, most drivers that work the account that I do dont make the big money becasue they dont want to work for it. They are satisfied with their $500-$700 bring home a week where, I am doing between $1100-$1500 bring home every week. In alot of cases I would wager to say you can make good money with a OTR company but, you have to work for it and go into the job initially and establish a reputation of a driver that likes to run and can be trusted to get it done for them. IMO, most drivers dont fall into this catagory. IN OTR there is too much opportunity to slack off and waste time so, most take full advantage of it. In LTL this is not the case for the companies I have worked for. You will be required to work like a dog but, everyone makes good money.

Do you know how much money you would have to make to BRING HOME 1500.00 a week, get some NEW stories!!!!!!!!!
Talk about inflated numbers....lol

I am sorry you are not making any real money driver. You dont have to buy what I am saying and I dont care if you do or you dont. The only thing I know is, I enjoy the hell out of my weekly paycheck. If you want to make that kind of money, you have to get a better job and run harder. Yes, that kind of cheese can be made.

ssoutlaw 05-22-2007 09:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

WHY WOULD ANYONE WORK FOR ONE OF THOSE CHEAP OTR COMPANIES LIKE USA WERNER SWIFT OR JB HUNT THAT ONLY PAY AROUND 30 CENTS A MILE? WHY NOT GET A HAZMAT AND DOUBLES ENDORSEMENTS AND GO TO SAIA AAA COOPER FED EX FREIGHT COMPANYS THAT PAY 42 TO 52 CENTS A MILE OR DO YOU GUYS LIKE TO WORK LIKE ILLEGAL ALIENS :twisted: :evil: :P

For the most part in my career (10 years) I have pondered this also. I have worked 6 years in LTL (Con-way, Averitt) and it was great pay, home every day, and great benefits. I must say that now I work for a big OTR company but, I work on a dedicated account where I can be home everyday or, I can run the wheels off the truck if I want to. Actually, the money is better now than it was in LTL plus, I get a nice truck to drive but, I like to run hard and I guarntee I am in the minority.

Quite honestly, IMO most OTR drivers are not cut out for LTL. I am not going to lie about it, LTL is harder work by far than a big OTR company and the vast majority of drivers I have had contact with do not want to work hard and heavens forbid they get any excercise on the job doing work. They want to make the big money but, they dont want to put forth the effort it takes to make that kind of cheese. Actually, most drivers that work the account that I do dont make the big money becasue they dont want to work for it. They are satisfied with their $500-$700 bring home a week where, I am doing between $1100-$1500 bring home every week. In alot of cases I would wager to say you can make good money with a OTR company but, you have to work for it and go into the job initially and establish a reputation of a driver that likes to run and can be trusted to get it done for them. IMO, most drivers dont fall into this catagory. IN OTR there is too much opportunity to slack off and waste time so, most take full advantage of it. In LTL this is not the case for the companies I have worked for. You will be required to work like a dog but, everyone makes good money.

Do you know how much money you would have to make to BRING HOME 1500.00 a week, get some NEW stories!!!!!!!!!

I am sorry you are not making any real money driver. You dont have to buy what I am saying and I dont care if you do or you dont. The only thing I know is, I enjoy the hell out of my weekly paycheck. If you want to make that kind of money, you have to get a better job and run harder. Yes, that kind of cheese can be made.

Your still not bringing home 1500.00 a week no matter what you want us here to believe! That’s around 100k a year and YOU aint making that. I do know you are a driver because of the stories you tell. If you said you grossed 1500.00 a week, then I would believe you and that is still 78k a year, which is some of the highest pay in the industry. There are exceptions to every rule but you are not one of them!

You said:

"Actually, most drivers that work the account that I do dont make the big money becasue they dont want to work for it. "

If they work the same acct. as you, they should be making the same, doing the same work as you do!! What you said makes no sense!
If you’re going to tell stories, make them believable. I have been out here for a few decades and have one of those Cush jobs. I guess this is where the tin foil hat comes in, am I right REV? Or did I use tin foil hat thing out of context?....lol

05-23-2007 12:34 AM

Quote:

I have been out here for a few decades and have one of those Cush jobs.

Yeah, right. That's what they all say. You're full of BS just like the rest of them.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard the line: "I can't discuss my gig driver, but it's sweeeeeeet!!!" :roll:

ssoutlaw 05-23-2007 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:

I have been out here for a few decades and have one of those Cush jobs.

Yeah, right. That's what they all say. You're full of BS just like the rest of them.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard the line: "I can't discuss my gig driver, but it's sweeeeeeet!!!" :roll:

At least thats what YOU keep telling the whole forum.....lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
You sure you and fozzy are not related :lol: :lol: :lol:

Odie 05-23-2007 01:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Your still not bringing home 1500.00 a week no matter what you want us here to believe! That’s around 100k a year and YOU aint making that. I do know you are a driver because of the stories you tell. If you said you grossed 1500.00 a week, then I would believe you and that is still 78k a year, which is some of the highest pay in the industry. There are exceptions to every rule but you are not one of them!

You said:

"Actually, most drivers that work the account that I do dont make the big money becasue they dont want to work for it. "

If they work the same acct. as you, they should be making the same, doing the same work as you do!! What you said makes no sense!
If you’re going to tell stories, make them believable. I have been out here for a few decades and have one of those Cush jobs. I guess this is where the tin foil hat comes in, am I right REV? Or did I use tin foil hat thing out of context?....lol

LOL!!!! You are too funny!!!! Yeah, they should make the same money but, the problem is they dont want to run. I do like to run. They are happy just taking a 300 mile trip and calling it a day. Not me. The account i work at will run you as hard as you want or, you can lay off and take it easy. Just becasue they work the same account does not mean they get or want to get the same miles and the same amount of stops. Load me up on miles and stop pay! I can make that a week anytime I want but, I usually lay off a bit 1 week out of the month and I might bring home $1000-$1100 still. Like I said, you dont have to believe me. I dont care if you do or dont. I love messing with drivers like you on the radio. It is too easy to get you worked up. It amuses the hell out of me and helps keep me stay awake and alert. I got the same resonse when I was in LTL. You would hear drivers on the radio bragging that they made 40K and I would get on there and told them I made 70K a year and I was home everyday and off every weekend. Of course they were just like yourself and didnt believe a word of it and would also get thier same panties in a bunch over it. LOL!!!!

Oh BTW, I am home almost everyday also. Damn I hate my job!!!! :twisted:

ssoutlaw 05-23-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You said:

LOL!!!! You are too funny!!!! Yeah, they should make the same money but, the problem is they dont want to run. I do like to run. They are happy just taking a 300 mile trip and calling it a day. Not me. The account i work at will run you as hard as you want or, you can lay off and take it easy. Just becasue they work the same account does not mean they get or want to get the same miles and the same amount of stops. Load me up on miles and stop pay! I can make that a week anytime I want but, I usually lay off a bit 1 week out of the month and I might bring home $1000-$1100 still. Like I said, you dont have to believe me. I dont care if you do or dont. I love messing with drivers like you on the radio. It is too easy to get you worked up. It amuses the hell out of me and helps keep me stay awake and alert. I got the same resonse when I was in LTL. You would hear drivers on the radio bragging that they made 40K and I would get on there and told them I made 70K a year and I was home everyday and off every weekend. Of course they were just like yourself and didnt believe a word of it and would also get thier same panties in a bunch over it. LOL!!!!

Oh BTW, I am home almost everyday also. Damn I hate my job!!!! :twisted:

70k is a far cry from a 100k! You dont get me worked up at all driver, I have just been out here to long and can spot the fairy tales. I drive for a large drugstore chain in the Indianapolis area, 1300 to 1500 gross/wk, good benifits and # 4 on evening board! I work 5 days a week back and forth from Chicago and Indy every evening with no overnights at all, except on the weekends. I do the overnight thing with certain ladies....lol Like I said I would believe 1500.00 gross/wk and that is 78k a yr!
Oh by the way if you need a better job we will take you......lol

seal3k 05-23-2007 09:07 PM

IT DONT MATTER BY 2020 They'll only be 2 LTL Carriers !
UPS AND FED-EX!! :lol:

feederfred 05-24-2007 12:06 AM

and I'm retiring in 6 weeks....Seriously though, as a senior driver on the feeder board 15- to 1600 week GROSS (4 and a half day week) is about it for me. But, that said, that is my choice to bid. Kids getting older and grown, I'm a lot older and I just don't wish to work that hard anymore. But, that is my choice. Things are paid for and I'm at that stage I just don't need to kill myself like when I was young, dumb and full of(ah well, you know about all that..)