Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   WHY WORK FOR A OTR COMPANY GO LTL (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/21784-why-work-otr-company-go-ltl.html)

Odie 05-20-2007 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigWheels
Quote:

Originally Posted by Odie
Quote:

Originally Posted by feederfred
Uh, "work like dog"....no, I don't think so.Linehaul for an LTL company is not all that bad. Pull a set to a terminal, unhook, go to the hotel...pretty simple.

OK, not all companys work that way now do they???? Like I said, I have worked for 2 LTL's and they didnt work that way. Averitt did depending on the length of trip but, with Con-way it was a patio party for everyone. It can be hard work like I said. Of course, since you think all LTL linehaul guys drive, park the truck, and hit a hotel, I guess you really dont know then do ya?

Gee...and I thought us LTL pick-up & delivery guys had it the worst! :roll: :wink: :P :lol:

I have done P&D also. It isnt a cake walk by any means. That is if you live in any kind of metro area of course. I have ran P&D in the DC Metro area. It sucks throughly. :evil:

Ian Williams 05-20-2007 10:06 PM

Quote:

I have done P&D also. It isnt a cake walk by any means. That is if you live in any kind of metro area of course. I have ran P&D in the DC Metro area. It sucks throughly. :evil:

How long did you do it for? Just as with OTR, LTL P&D has a certain learning curve. It took me a good 6months before I knew the quirks, in & outs of most of our customers.

Once you are up on the curve its not bad at all. Traffic can still be frustrating, but when you're on the clock it takes a lot of the edge off.

Odie 05-21-2007 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Williams
Quote:

How long did you do it for? Just as with OTR, LTL P&D has a certain learning curve. It took me a good 6months before I knew the quirks, in & outs of most of our customers.

Once you are up on the curve its not bad at all. Traffic can still be frustrating, but when you're on the clock it takes a lot of the edge off.

I was in LTL for 6 years and I did P&D for 1 year of it. There is no learning curve to hauling multiple skids of whatever up 6 flights. Like I said, this was the DC metro area. Now, when I worked for Conway, my terminal was in a more rural location and once in a while I would fill in on P&D. There it was not bad at all. It is all in the Delivery area.

Hey Ian, I see you are in NOVA. Where at exactly if you dont mind me asking. I am in the area also.

Ian Williams 05-21-2007 05:13 PM

Quote:

I was in LTL for 6 years and I did P&D for 1 year of it. There is no learning curve to hauling multiple skids of whatever up 6 flights. Like I said, this was the DC metro area. Now, when I worked for Conway, my terminal was in a more rural location and once in a while I would fill in on P&D. There it was not bad at all. It is all in the Delivery area.

Hey Ian, I see you are in NOVA. Where at exactly if you dont mind me asking. I am in the area also.

So you were stuck in hand muck hell.

Thats not so much LTL as lumping. Unless the customer pays through the nose for inside delivery our responsibility stops at the end of the trailer.

Except for our one straight truck with a lift gate we don't see all that much hand muck at my barn.

BigWheels 05-22-2007 01:54 AM

Quote:

....Unless the customer pays through the nose for inside delivery our responsibility stops at the end of the trailer....

I am oh so happy that a lot of customers without a dock don't want to pay through the nose for inside delivery! :D :D :D

Odie 05-22-2007 09:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

So you were stuck in hand muck hell.

Thats not so much LTL as lumping. Unless the customer pays through the nose for inside delivery our responsibility stops at the end of the trailer.

Except for our one straight truck with a lift gate we don't see all that much hand muck at my barn.

Yes, it was back of the door but, alot of times these customers would pay for inside delivery. They seemed to have more money than brains like alot of folks in that region.

Odie 05-22-2007 09:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

....Unless the customer pays through the nose for inside delivery our responsibility stops at the end of the trailer....

I am oh so happy that a lot of customers without a dock don't want to pay through the nose for inside delivery! :D :D :D

I always told them for me to bring it in it would cost this much (I would inflate the number hoping they would not go for inside delivery). I just seemed to have back luck I guess???? LOL!

BigWheels 05-22-2007 11:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I always told them for me to bring it in it would cost this much (I would inflate the number hoping they would not go for inside delivery). I just seemed to have back luck I guess???? LOL!

Guess you didn't inflate the number high enough. :shock: :roll: :lol:

ssoutlaw 05-22-2007 02:33 PM

Re: WHY WORK FOR A OTR COMPANY GO LTL

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRIVERMAN77077
WHY WOULD ANYONE WORK FOR ONE OF THOSE CHEAP OTR COMPANIES LIKE USA WERNER SWIFT OR JB HUNT THAT ONLY PAY AROUND 30 CENTS A MILE? WHY NOT GET A HAZMAT AND DOUBLES ENDORSEMENTS AND GO TO SAIA AAA COOPER FED EX FREIGHT COMPANYS THAT PAY 42 TO 52 CENTS A MILE OR DO YOU GUYS LIKE TO WORK LIKE ILLEGAL ALIENS :twisted: :evil: :P

For the most part in my career (10 years) I have pondered this also. I have worked 6 years in LTL (Con-way, Averitt) and it was great pay, home every day, and great benefits. I must say that now I work for a big OTR company but, I work on a dedicated account where I can be home everyday or, I can run the wheels off the truck if I want to. Actually, the money is better now than it was in LTL plus, I get a nice truck to drive but, I like to run hard and I guarntee I am in the minority.

Quite honestly, IMO most OTR drivers are not cut out for LTL. I am not going to lie about it, LTL is harder work by far than a big OTR company and the vast majority of drivers I have had contact with do not want to work hard and heavens forbid they get any excercise on the job doing work. They want to make the big money but, they dont want to put forth the effort it takes to make that kind of cheese. Actually, most drivers that work the account that I do dont make the big money becasue they dont want to work for it. They are satisfied with their $500-$700 bring home a week where, I am doing between $1100-$1500 bring home every week. In alot of cases I would wager to say you can make good money with a OTR company but, you have to work for it and go into the job initially and establish a reputation of a driver that likes to run and can be trusted to get it done for them. IMO, most drivers dont fall into this catagory. IN OTR there is too much opportunity to slack off and waste time so, most take full advantage of it. In LTL this is not the case for the companies I have worked for. You will be required to work like a dog but, everyone makes good money.

Do you know how much money you would have to make to BRING HOME 1500.00 a week, get some NEW stories!!!!!!!!!
Talk about inflated numbers....lol

Smooth 05-22-2007 04:05 PM

Re: WHY WORK FOR A OTR COMPANY GO LTL

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRIVERMAN77077
WHY WOULD ANYONE WORK FOR ONE OF THOSE CHEAP OTR COMPANIES LIKE USA WERNER SWIFT OR JB HUNT THAT ONLY PAY AROUND 30 CENTS A MILE? WHY NOT GET A HAZMAT AND DOUBLES ENDORSEMENTS AND GO TO SAIA AAA COOPER FED EX FREIGHT COMPANYS THAT PAY 42 TO 52 CENTS A MILE OR DO YOU GUYS LIKE TO WORK LIKE ILLEGAL ALIENS :twisted: :evil: :P

For the most part in my career (10 years) I have pondered this also. I have worked 6 years in LTL (Con-way, Averitt) and it was great pay, home every day, and great benefits. I must say that now I work for a big OTR company but, I work on a dedicated account where I can be home everyday or, I can run the wheels off the truck if I want to. Actually, the money is better now than it was in LTL plus, I get a nice truck to drive but, I like to run hard and I guarntee I am in the minority.

Quite honestly, IMO most OTR drivers are not cut out for LTL. I am not going to lie about it, LTL is harder work by far than a big OTR company and the vast majority of drivers I have had contact with do not want to work hard and heavens forbid they get any excercise on the job doing work. They want to make the big money but, they dont want to put forth the effort it takes to make that kind of cheese. Actually, most drivers that work the account that I do dont make the big money becasue they dont want to work for it. They are satisfied with their $500-$700 bring home a week where, I am doing between $1100-$1500 bring home every week. In alot of cases I would wager to say you can make good money with a OTR company but, you have to work for it and go into the job initially and establish a reputation of a driver that likes to run and can be trusted to get it done for them. IMO, most drivers dont fall into this catagory. IN OTR there is too much opportunity to slack off and waste time so, most take full advantage of it. In LTL this is not the case for the companies I have worked for. You will be required to work like a dog but, everyone makes good money.

Do you know how much money you would have to make to BRING HOME 1500.00 a week, get some NEW stories!!!!!!!!!
Talk about inflated numbers....lol

Yeah , you would have to gross around $2400 a week (give or take a hundred or so) to bring home $1500 a week , not happening .