Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Goin Fer It's adventures at Davis Transport! (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/21355-goin-fer-its-adventures-davis-transport.html)

Goin Fer It 10-14-2006 06:46 PM

Goin Fer It's adventures at Davis Transport!

Well tomorrow my husband will begin his new adventure. He is thankful that he will still be in trucking!

His new adventure will be in pulling a skateboard (flat-bedding). Davis Transport is based out of Missoula Montana and they have approximately 100 trucks.

We have heard that the trucks do not have Qualcom's in them. I will confirm that when he is actually there.

He will be staying at a Days Inn. He had to go buy a hard hat today.

We are just thankful and happy that he has a new job! :D

Goin Fer It's Wife

taldrkhansum 10-15-2006 02:00 PM

Davis only rates a 1 out of possible 5 on the driver's rating scale. I would be careful. It is from drivers that have previously worked there.

west_coaster 10-15-2006 06:19 PM

BOL

Well best of luck to him on his "adventures" with Davis. I used to drive flatbed and we had several guys who had driven for them at our company. Only one of them ever had anything good to say about Davis. Hopefully they've changed a bit in the last year or so. Like someone said on your other thread, driving flatbed is a completely different animal. I loved it, but some hate it with a passion. I know I ended up putting in lots of time that wasn't really compensated (tarping, strapping, etc.). I think our company paid $30 tarp pay, but it's still not worth it when it's blowing rain sideways and you're on top of a slick load. But, if he sticks it out for a year or so he'll be in great shape both physically and job-wise. Good luck and I hope you keep the thread going this time too. Maybe you should tell Davis that you want recruiter pay, cause you seem to have recruited quite a few guys with your May thread! :wink:

West_Coaster

Goin Fer It 10-15-2006 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taldrkhansum
Davis only rates a 1 out of possible 5 on the driver's rating scale. I would be careful. It is from drivers that have previously worked there.

Downside:
We know the pay isn't that great
The trucks are smaller
No Qualcom.

Upside from what we have heard:
Nice people to work with.
Family type atmosphere
Good amount of miles.
They run the I-90 allot.

Best Thing of All about Davis
My husband has a job Truck Driving :P
They have given him a second chance and are willing to work with him.
They will give him allot of one on one training
He will be able to turn his driving career around without any preventables in a year.

As far as the rating I did check on it and it is difficult to say how accurate those ratings are. It does not say how many drivers have done the rating and could have just been one disgruntled employee or it could be 10.

Swift had a very high rating and I have read many horror stories on this board about Swift.

But thank you for pointing this out!

Goin Fer It's Wife

yoopr 10-15-2006 10:27 PM

I'd put No Qualcomm on your Upside List :P

Goin Fer It 10-15-2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoopr
I'd put No Qualcomm on your Upside List :P

I would have but I guess my husband likes the Qualcom. Maybe once he gets use to not using it he will like it better without it! :)

Goin Fer It's Wife

Goin Fer It 10-15-2006 10:48 PM

Re: BOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by west_coaster
Well best of luck to him on his "adventures" with Davis. I used to drive flatbed and we had several guys who had driven for them at our company. Only one of them ever had anything good to say about Davis. Hopefully they've changed a bit in the last year or so. Like someone said on your other thread, driving flatbed is a completely different animal. I loved it, but some hate it with a passion. But, if he sticks it out for a year or so he'll be in great shape both physically and job-wise. Good luck and I hope you keep the thread going this time too. Maybe you should tell Davis that you want recruiter pay, cause you seem to have recruited quite a few guys with your May thread! :wink:

West_Coaster

Thank you for your well wishes! Other than the things I mentioned how were the miles and did people get treated fairly there?

I agree it a year he will be able to get turned around and we were grateful for the two offers he got and the willingness of the companies to work with him. He definitely got off to a bad start.

Flat-bedding will keep my husband in shape. He likes to exercise and goes to karate when he is home with my son.

Yes, May Trucking definitely did well from the thread! I know two of the drivers that began with them are no longer there. One is still there as far as I know and I am not certain about the others.

Systems Transport mentioned twice to my husband and seemed concerned that they were not get drivers from Sage but they would have had their own thread here..... only if they knew! :roll:

We are happy with what we have at this point!

Goin Fer It's Wife

Goin Fer It 10-15-2006 10:52 PM

Yoopr
Now that you are a moderator maybe you can give us some input on the company comparisons. How can we tell how many people have rated a company? I am curious how many people did actually rate Davis on there.

Thanks for any input!

Goin Fer It's Wife

Goin Fer It 10-15-2006 11:13 PM

This morning it was amazing! The kids ages 7, 10 and 15 were up around 6:00 a.m. to see their dad off! More amazing no one except me has taken a nap!

As I went outside I heard a strange sound one that we have not heard up here for most of the summer! RAIN!!! Well needed rain!

Just as we were almost to the bus station we saw his bus pulling in a few minutes early.

So we saw him off at the bus terminal! He only had about a three hour and forty minute bus ride. No problems with the ride this time and it was far shorter than the previous two he has taken.

He is staying at the Days Inn in Missoula Montana. It is just a standard room. No kitchenette like one he had in Oregon with May. But I had heard that the Arizona room for May was just a standard room also.

He is looking forward to beginning his new adventure. He will be in the office tomorrow morning at 7:30 a.m.

I will report more tomorrow night!

Goin Fer It's Wife

AmEagleDrvr 10-16-2006 03:29 AM

I have followed your previous threads on this... you are quite a supportive family. We are pulling for him to make it...tell him I said to hang in and think things through and I think he'll be OK. Good luck.

dk132 10-16-2006 03:37 AM

Good Luck. I hope everything goes well. :wink:

yoopr 10-16-2006 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
Yoopr
Now that you are a moderator maybe you can give us some input on the company comparisons. How can we tell how many people have rated a company? I am curious how many people did actually rate Davis on there.

Thanks for any input!

Goin Fer It's Wife

I'd help you in a Instant if I could but you're talking to the wrong person concerning this. You might wanna contact Flyer-Scoe-or Baby Cad.
Sorry I can't help you with this one.

feederfred 10-16-2006 07:44 PM

and the saga continues......

All right, glad to see your back. Posted on your May thread before I found this one. See that one...(I'm lazy). Keep us posted and remind your husband to slow down and be careful. There won't be a third chance..and the story continues.....

Goin Fer It 10-17-2006 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmEagleDrvr
I have followed your previous threads on this... you are quite a supportive family. We are pulling for him to make it...tell him I said to hang in and think things through and I think he'll be OK. Good luck.

Thank you for the compliment. I let the kids read it and it made them feel good! :D I also read yours and other messages over the phone to my husband. He appreciates that so many people are wishing him well.

So many people have really been so supportative here and we really appreciate all of you!

Goin Fer It's Wife

Goin Fer It 10-17-2006 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dk132
Good Luck. I hope everything goes well. :wink:

Thank You! :D

Goin Fer It's Wife

Goin Fer It 10-17-2006 05:35 AM

Re: and the saga continues......

Quote:

Originally Posted by feederfred
All right, glad to see your back. Posted on your May thread before I found this one. See that one...(I'm lazy). Keep us posted and remind your husband to slow down and be careful. There won't be a third chance..and the story continues.....

I read your message to my husband also! And I am glad you now have something to read! :D I hope this thread goes longer and it has a happy ending when it does end!

Goin Fer It's Wife

Goin Fer It 10-17-2006 05:58 AM

I think my husband was surprised at how small the office and the set up is at Davis Transport! He said the yard is not actually like a yard it is more like a parking lot.

He said everyone was very nice and seemed to be happy to see him there.

Today he did some paper work and then he worked on strapping coils in the yard. They told my husband that they do not to many coil loads anymore. The guy who he worked with today told him his trainer was very good and when my husband told him about his training at May he said they do not allow that there at that if that happens for my husband to call in.

They also worked on inspection and pre-trip inspection. My husband said that he will need to do the small maintenance things on the road and lube it in a few places. He said that he will have to do a thorough inspection once a week. I told him it was probably better than having to go into a shop and wait for them to do it at the yard. He agreed.

He took a driving test today and he was told that he did pretty good.

He said they have a smoking and non-smoking lounge there for their drivers.

When he is on his own he will be driving a Kenworth flat top.
The cabs are very small in the trucks. He got a look at one of the high tops and he said he was impressed with how much room there was.
He said the company has about a hundred drivers.

He said he does not believe that miles will be a problem.

We did not know that by federal law that every 150 miles flatbedders have to check there load. You see we learn something new everyday! :)

I think my husband is anxious to meet his trainer. I do not know really how much he will tell me when he is still out with his trainer. I did not know of the problems until after he was done training last time. But I will ask him daily what he did and if the trainer worked on anything with him.

I will tell him to ask the trainer to work on the things that he feels that he needs work on also! He will be going out with the trainer on Thursday.

He thinks that tomorrow he will be doing mostly classroom stuff and paper work. I will let everyone know how day two is going.

Goin Fer It's Wife

Goin Fer It 10-18-2006 07:10 PM

This is really strange for some reason my post is not showing up from yesterday :sad: It was there this morning and now it gone. If it is not back I will repost it today after I get my report from my husband tonight!

Goin Fer It's Wife

bulldog2036 10-18-2006 08:42 PM

Having great support at home helps more than you know. Sounds like you and your family are all in tune with this and your husband will do well. God bless and good fortunes.......bd.

Goin Fer It 10-19-2006 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulldog2036
Having great support at home helps more than you know. Sounds like you and your family are all in tune with this and your husband will do well. God bless and good fortunes.......bd.

Thank you very much! We are all behind him! And thank you for your blessing!

Goin Fer It's Wife

Goin Fer It 10-19-2006 04:39 AM

Okay here is a re-post from yesterday!

Day# 2 at Davis Transport

Everything was indoor stuff yesterday. Filling out paper work and watching videos and learning about load securment.

Yesterday my husband spoke to a driver who lives in Spokane and went to the same Sage my husband did. He has been working at Davis Transport ever since he got out of school about six months ago. He said he does the I-90 allot. That is good we may see him as he comes through here, even if it is for lunch and hug it will be nice.

He found out that after the trainer comes in his first trip will be to Massachusetts. He is not exactly sure where in Massachusetts

My husband is the only one in orientation.

Goin Fer It' Wife

Goin Fer It 10-19-2006 04:57 AM

Day # 3 at Davis Transport

My husband was inside for part of the day finishing up on learning and doing some more paper work.

In the afternoon he went out in the yard and worked on load securment. He was shown some pictures of loads that were not secured properly and caused damage to the loads.

He was told that the average length of hall is 1600 miles.

Tomorrow morning his trainer will be in with the load already picked up. He will not tarp tomorrow. The trainer is going to bring the truck in the shop and in the afternoon they should be heading out. My husband is looking forward to being on the road behind the wheel once again.

Davis Transport does pay practical miles. :D

My husband said he has a few things to do in the office in the morning like getting the odds and ends done activating his fuel card and stuff like that.

He said everyone there is very nice and it is like a family type atmosphere.

Goin Fer It's Wife

devildice 10-19-2006 05:04 AM

Quote:

Davis Transport does pay practical miles.
So what is their pay scale?

Goin Fer It 10-19-2006 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devildice
Quote:

Davis Transport does pay practical miles.
So what is their pay scale?

As I said in an earlier post it is low :sad: They pay .27 a mile. If you do not have any incident in a month they will pay another cent for all miles you ran. So that would bring it up to .28.

With the slow down at May Trucking for miles this will work out better if my husband gets good miles once he is on his own. We will just have to wait and see how it goes through the winter. They said they keep their drivers moving at Davis Transport so if that is true that will be good.

We would rather have 2800-3200 miles at .27 cents than 1100 or 1400 at .32 cents.

But the truth of the matter is my husband is just happy to have a job in trucking still :P

Goin Fer It's Wife

devildice 10-19-2006 05:42 AM

I hear ya' and BOL to you all......

Goin Fer It 10-19-2006 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devildice
I hear ya' and BOL to you all......

Thank you and best wishes to you also! Let us know who you decide to go with. Hopefully good training, good miles and good money with whomever you choose!

Take Care,
Goin Fer It's Wife

Colin 10-19-2006 06:53 AM

He might ask the trainer if he can practice tarping on the way over to MA. If the weather is nice, it would be an easy way to started with the process. Learn while it's nice, then once you're better, start practicing in high winds or rain. No sense in overwhelming him the first week.

Goin Fer It 10-19-2006 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin
He might ask the trainer if he can practice tarping on the way over to MA. If the weather is nice, it would be an easy way to started with the process. Learn while it's nice, then once you're better, start practicing in high winds or rain. No sense in overwhelming him the first week.

I am not even sure if the load is tarped or just secured. My husband was told that his trainer was very good. If they have time to work on it I hope he will do that with my husband. I do not know when this load is due.

I will find out much more this evening. As this is the morning that my husband has checked out of the hotel and will be on the road again :D

Goin Fer It's Wife

Goin Fer It 10-20-2006 02:39 PM

Well my husband is back in the hotel. :sad:

The trainers truck has an oil leak that the shop could not track down so the truck is now back at the dealers. It is suppose to be a new truck.

We only hop that they get the leak fixed soon and my husband can get on the road.

Goin Fer It's Wife

Goin Fer It 10-21-2006 03:56 AM

Oh well another day in the life of a trucker I guess :roll: My husband checked out of the hotel today. Then he sat around the office for quite a bit of the day.

The dealership did not find the oil leak either. He was down at the dealership around eight o'clock this evening. I guess that would be nine Montana time.

They had just finished getting the tires fixed I guess there was an air leak something about the seals.

So no driving today. Hopefully tomorrow sometime in the morning. They have to take the trainers car to storage in the morning. And they still plan to make a Walmart run before heading out.

I asked my husband if this trainer was better he says he thinks so. I asked him if the trainer was right there with him and he said yes. I hope he can tell me more before the end of his training.

Signing out until tomorrow and hopefully they will be on the road.

Goin Fer It's Wife

Goin Fer It 10-21-2006 05:31 PM

My husband is finishing up his Walmart run. They have the trainers car and shortly they will put it into storage and finally be on the road.

My husband does not know how many miles he will get in today as he wants to stop early enough to get a spot at the truck stop. He knows if he stops to late it is hard to get a spot.

The delivery is due Thursday in Worcester, Massachusetts. Per mapquest it is a 2569 mile trip. They are hoping to have it there Wednesday as the shipper will receive it early.

Goin Fer It's Wife

10-21-2006 05:53 PM

Quote:

Oh well another day in the life of a trucker I guess :roll: My husband checked out of the hotel today. Then he sat around the office for quite a bit of the day.

The dealership did not find the oil leak either. He was down at the dealership around eight o'clock this evening. I guess that would be nine Montana time.

They had just finished getting the tires fixed I guess there was an air leak something about the seals.

So no driving today. Hopefully tomorrow sometime in the morning. They have to take the trainers car to storage in the morning. And they still plan to make a Walmart run before heading out.

I asked my husband if this trainer was better he says he thinks so. I asked him if the trainer was right there with him and he said yes. I hope he can tell me more before the end of his training.

Signing out until tomorrow and hopefully they will be on the road.

Goin Fer It's Wife

Did he recieve any layover/breakdown pay?

Goin Fer It 10-21-2006 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Did he receive any layover/breakdown pay?

He is in training, so he will receive training pay!

Goin Fer It's Wife

10-21-2006 07:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Did he receive any layover/breakdown pay?

He is in training, so he will receive training pay!

Goin Fer It's Wife

Which is what, if you don't mind me asking?

Goin Fer It 10-21-2006 08:04 PM

Quote:

Which is what, if you don't mind me asking?

CFM
Training pay at Davis Transport is very low. It is $325.00 a week. But with two preventable accidents in two months and being a newbie we will take it for now! Not many other companies were willing to take my husband on or give him a second chance. I am certain you have heard of the expression that beggars can't be choosy!

Goin Fer It's Wife

Goin Fer It 10-22-2006 03:23 AM

My husband and his trainer got a late start this afternoon. They did not leave until about 3:30 p.m.

They are going to go as far as Billings Montana and will stop there. My husband ran into his first snow already in Montana.

Goin Fer It's Wife

Goin Fer It 10-23-2006 04:28 AM

My husband called a little late this evening. He is in Fargo, North Dakota.

He ran approximately 500 miles today and his trainer did about 100. They left later in the morning around 10:00 to make sure the roads were not icy as it was around 30 in Billings.

They stop approximately every 150 miles for a restroom break and check the load to make sure it is secure. The load is tarped and it is lumber.

Goin Fer It's Wife

Goin Fer It 10-24-2006 05:08 PM

My husband and his trainer stayed about an hour out of Chicago in Illinois last night.

My husband only drove 300 miles yesterday. The trainer is splitting up the miles for now. Having him drive then he drives. So they are doing about 500 to 600 miles a day altogether.

The trainer is working with him to make sure that the load is secure. My husband said the big part of the lesson will be when they get to the shipper and he gets to play with the tarp.

He is glad to be driving a truck once again and he says he thinks he is going to like the company.

They have a card that pays for most all of the tolls so that the drivers do not have to deal with paying for it then getting reimbursed. He said there are a few tolls that the card will not work at.

They are now planning on getting the load there Thursday morning since they had such a late start with the truck in the shop. This should be no problem even breaking up the driving the way they are.

Until the next report :)

Goin Fer It's Wife

OverTheRoad 10-25-2006 02:48 AM

Sounds like things are going well for him..... I will try and give him a call later this week just to say hi and see how he is doing. :)

Goin Fer It 10-25-2006 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverTheRoad
Sounds like things are going well for him..... I will try and give him a call later this week just to say hi and see how he is doing. :)

I think he will like that! :P

Goin Fer It's Wife