Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Swift will hire anyone that can fog a mirror... (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/21188-swift-will-hire-anyone-can-fog-mirror.html)

T * Storm 10-08-2006 02:38 AM

Swift will hire anyone that can fog a mirror...

Bull Sh*t !! On day one of school over half of our class washed out the first day with reasons ranging from traffic infractions within the last 5 years, to high blood pressure, including people that stated that they smoked weed in the last three years. They also put you thorough a training schedule that is NOT for the faint of heart. You are up a 5:30 am - in the van by 6:30 am and get done with school at 5 pm , with homework assigned for the night - About an hour or 2 worth, first four days. 6 hour day on Saturday starting at 5:30 am. (I am the 1st week in on a 3 week intensive at the Truck Driving Academy in Sacramento.)

Swift don't care as long as you get through training. I got a room mate from the roll over from the class that started the week before me. Reason? The instructor didn't think he was ready yet. Did he take the practical and Skills test yet? No. Reason? The instructor didn't think he was ready yet - what my room mate told me. Why? He had the parallel and dock backing down and the last day before the test he ran the maneuvers one last time and blew the parallel parking bit and his instructor put him over for an additional week to perfect his skill to the level of confidence.

5 other students were rolled over for an additional week to make sure they had the material down pat. Cost for the additional week including hotel room? ZERO.

So, to all you nay sayers concerning Swift and their supposed
Quote:

hire em if they breath
mentality? Sorry, but you are totally mistaken. The Schools care and so Does Swift!!! The Swift employee is the one that chopped more than half the class before we even got started. Chad may have seemed like an arrogant ass, but I can definitely see the psychology behind his act. Swift only wants the best of the best driving for Swift. Trust me, Swift could fill all those empty tractors if they accepted the unfit, in a heart beat, but Swift really cares about who they hire. (I am one of them - so far)

AND A HUGE SHOUT OUT TO PHIL WARD!!! GREAT TEACHER AND VERY THOROUGH. HIS WELL TIMED ANECDOTES HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD WHEN HES TRYING TO MAKE A POINT. - So much in fact that on some of the written exam questions, taken at the CA Dept of Motor Vehicles, I could almost hear his voice and the anecdotes he used to make sure the information stuck. 8)

Kudos to My recruiter Robbie and the VP of operations Diana for not white washing the truth to trick the students. (Is TDA perfect? No. They're human and have room for improvement, but what company doesn't? My only complaint is that they could make sure the shuttle is a bit more consistent in their pick up time. 6:20 breakfast at the hotel is ready, pick up can be any where from 6:30 to 6:45 - not enough time to eat breakfast if your still groggy.)

shyykatt 10-08-2006 03:02 AM

My husband went to their school down in Tenn.; He would call me just about every night and tell me how tough they were on who passed and who didn't-which is definatly a good thing, but yes, every school/ company is different; I think it just has a lot to do w/each persons' individual experience( and their attitude as well); so if you are happy, then thats all you need to know.

Big John 10-08-2006 03:02 AM

Quote:

Bull Sh*t !! On day one of school over half of our class washed out the first day with reasons ranging from traffic infractions within the last 5 years, to high blood pressure, including people that stated that they smoked weed in the last three years.
They must have been real bad for SWIFTY to let them go.
Enjoy watching the revolving door. It goes round and round and round it goes.

Quote:

They also put you thorough a training schedule that is NOT for the faint of heart. You are up a 5:30 am - in the van by 6:30 am and get done with school at 5 pm , with homework assigned for the night - About an hour or 2 worth, first four days. 6 hour day on Saturday starting at 5:30 am. (I am the 1st week in on a 3 week intensive at the Truck Driving Academy in Sacramento.)
They want to get you in that truck faster and make them so money.

Quote:

My only complaint is that they could make sure the shuttle is a bit more consistent in their pick up time. 6:20 breakfast at the hotel is ready, pick up can be any where from 6:30 to 6:45 - not enough time to eat breakfast if your still groggy.)
The Short Bus? :lol:

T * Storm 10-08-2006 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big John

The Short Bus? :lol:

nope; Pup trailer (23') 8)

T * Storm 10-08-2006 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shyykatt
...so if you are happy, then thats all you need to know.

I think I picked a good starting point. Am I happy? Yes, but not blissfully ignorant.

Uturn2001 10-08-2006 03:22 AM

The problem is not in the schooling, it is in the OTJ training afterwards.

How much training can you get from someone with possibly 6 months experience or from some LP who just wants to turn and burn miles.

T * Storm 10-08-2006 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uturn2001
The problem is not in the schooling, it is in the OTJ training afterwards.

How much training can you get from someone with possibly 6 months experience or from some LP who just wants to turn and burn miles.

Round and round... it's not 6 months it's a year, from the date of your last preventable, etc, etc, etc.

Also, in terms of turn and burn, best way to learn is by doing. Quickest way to learn is to burn the miles - its also the quickest way to see who's cut out to be an OTR driver and who's not.

Volvofreak 10-08-2006 03:41 AM

I beleive SWIFT is one of the best newbie companies. When I was there a few years ago, I got discouraged hearing all the negative Swift jokes here and out on the road and I started to believe them. I thought, well mabey ill go with one of the other copmpanies and the grass will be greener.

BIG MISTAKE.

I went with Covenant, and man I lived at truckstops 99% of the time and they cared less about getting me home. I don't mind being out for 3 to 4 weeks or so but when your looking at 5 to 6 weeks, it starts to get you down.

At Swift, you will be on a one on one face to face relationship with your dispatcher/driver manager and it makes a big difference. I got home every week when I was there. The only negative I found with Swift is that newbies get old (OLD) trucks for the first 6 months and break downs can cost them some serious miles. Just stick it out for 4 to 6 months and you will be in a nice new Volvo condo tractor.

Many folks that bad talk Swift have never driven for them and are mearly relaying stories and Swift jokes they heard at truck stop diners. Most if not all newb companies will allow trainers with less than a year experience train drivers, swift is not any different.

I would work for Swift again in a heartbeat!

T * Storm 10-08-2006 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvofreak

Many folks that bad talk Swift have never driven for them and are mearly relaying stories and Swift jokes they heard at truck stop diners. Most if not all newb companies will allow trainers with less than a year experience train drivers, swift is not any different.

I would work for Swift again in a heartbeat!

I appreciate your encouragement, how ever I must correct you about the less than 1 year trainer statement:

Direct Quote from their own website and what I've been told by recuriters at Swift and at the school I'm at. Granted, Swift could be lying, but then again, why would they? If theyre strict about who they hire to drive, I would imagine they are just as strict with whom they allow to be a trainer.

Quote:

from website:At Swift, the position of driver mentor is only open to those drivers who are the best of the best. Prospective mentors must complete an extensive mentor certification program. They must also be patient and possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills.

Volvofreak 10-08-2006 03:53 AM

I can tell you straight up that Swift will make you a trainer/mentor after 6 mos. if you complete the course. What are you trying to correct me on?