Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Schneider gave me the boot (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/21014-schneider-gave-me-boot.html)

duck 10-07-2006 02:39 PM

Class B will kill someone just as easily as a T/T. the problem wasn't only the size of vehicle but running a red and lane changes.

Maybe a little more awareness of the road and the vehicles around the driver and then try.

tdriver1959 10-07-2006 03:45 PM

Wile E. Mile wrote:
(two unsafe lane changes and running a red light), an anxiety attack (we had to stop at one point because I got nervous), In any case, I'm not sure why they showed me the door.

I would think that if you reread your post you would see why they asked you to leave. I do take some of new drivers out for training and had to tell the boss that one of our new hires was unsafe on a day trip to Seattle. Needless to say he is now gone.

DesertRat wrote:
Not to be rude here, but I have to ask myself: Do I really want the guy driving next to me having an anxiety attack while operating an 80,000 pound vehicle? And I have to answer no.

I would also have to agree to that

redsfan 10-08-2006 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohiomohawk
The Schneider Training Academy always gets such high praise but I think few know how many people they screw over, especially in Green Bay. It used to be 30 students per 2 week class, when I was up there it was 80 students per class. Now it is over 100 students per class. Of the 14 days you are up there you only drive 8 days(3 students per truck). I had a little over 20 hrs of driving time and they kept me till the last day then told me i was not graduating and stuck me with a $3,000 bill.

They are getting rich by screwing people like that, a lot of people in my class left thier jobs to go to Schneider and get trained....just to get screwed by them.

It is a matter of time till the all mighty Schneider Traning Academy starts to get a bad rep.

Some the driving instructors themselves even admitted that there is not enough time to safely train the students but the class sizes have grown since August to over 100+ students every 7 days. They also shortened the training to 2 weeks instead of 3weeks.

Not saying I wouldn't be PO'd because I probably would, but why don't you just go take the test on your own? You've had two weeks of training from SNI and in Wapakoneta, OH you can take the test and even rent the equipment to take it in from them. Get on with a good company that will give you 6 weeks with a trainer before setting you free, that's where you will fine tune your driving skills not in a truck with 3 other students. No matter what school you attend you will not be fully ready to operate on your own after you graduate no matter if its a 2 week course or an 8 week course. Just my opinion.

Big John 10-08-2006 03:40 AM

Quote:

The director said his decision was based on my safety record (two unsafe lane changes and running a red light [the truck instructor never mentioned anything about the latter during our time behind the wheel, by the way...]), an anxiety attack (we had to stop at one point because I got nervous), In any case, I'm not sure why they showed me the door.
:o :shock: :?

Try Yellow Cab!

10-08-2006 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsfan
Quote:

Originally Posted by ohiomohawk
The Schneider Training Academy always gets such high praise but I think few know how many people they screw over, especially in Green Bay. It used to be 30 students per 2 week class, when I was up there it was 80 students per class. Now it is over 100 students per class. Of the 14 days you are up there you only drive 8 days(3 students per truck). I had a little over 20 hrs of driving time and they kept me till the last day then told me i was not graduating and stuck me with a $3,000 bill.

They are getting rich by screwing people like that, a lot of people in my class left thier jobs to go to Schneider and get trained....just to get screwed by them.

It is a matter of time till the all mighty Schneider Traning Academy starts to get a bad rep.

Some the driving instructors themselves even admitted that there is not enough time to safely train the students but the class sizes have grown since August to over 100+ students every 7 days. They also shortened the training to 2 weeks instead of 3weeks.

Not saying I wouldn't be PO'd because I probably would, but why don't you just go take the test on your own? You've had two weeks of training from SNI and in Wapakoneta, OH you can take the test and even rent the equipment to take it in from them. Get on with a good company that will give you 6 weeks with a trainer before setting you free, that's where you will fine tune your driving skills not in a truck with 3 other students. No matter what school you attend you will not be fully ready to operate on your own after you graduate no matter if its a 2 week course or an 8 week course. Just my opinion.

Great Opinion!!
:P My Brother told me to do the same thing in order not to be indentured(?) to these Companies.
I Graduated a yr ago from a school and am not driving yet because of no female trainers.
I refuse to run with a male because of more than one past experience.
I think that if you already pay for your CDL, you won't have to pay back that crazy money- :shock: no matter how long you hold your license. I was told that I would just need "finishing " :wink: school for 6-8 weeks before getting my own headache.
Until I do get a Fem. Trainer, I have been operating Motorcoaches :) and making runs for the Greydog. :roll: My loads are Carbon-Based, 8) but I hope to soon get back to my first love. :D

redsfan 10-08-2006 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MzGwen_la
Great Opinion!!
:P My Brother told me to do the same thing in order not to be indentured(?) to these Companies.
I Graduated a yr ago from a school and am not driving yet because of no female trainers.
I refuse to run with a male because of more than one past experience.
I think that if you already pay for your CDL, you won't have to pay back that crazy money- :shock: no matter how long you hold your license. I was told that I would just need "finishing " :wink: school for 6-8 weeks before getting my own headache.
Until I do get a Fem. Trainer, I have been operating Motorcoaches :) and making runs for the Greydog. :roll: My loads are Carbon-Based, 8) but I hope to soon get back to my first love. :D

I believe that there are many ways to go about getting your CDL and one solution doesn't work for everyone. I chose to pay for the school myself because I wanted to have options. At the time I had done a lot of research as to who I wanted to work for and had a short list. I also researched schools by talking to companies that I had an interest in seeing who the recommended. The school I chose was highly recommended by TMC and Maverick and is the school that TMC uses as a "sponsored school" for this area. They even offered to pay for it, but I'm glad I chose to do it on my own. Other people may not be in the position to pay for it on their own and that's fine if they choose a "sponsored program", but it can leave you in the same position as this OP is in right now.

My thinking is that is already stuck with a bill from one school, why shell out the bucks for another? If he's had 2 weeks of school, with a little more practice I'll bet a dollar to a donut that he could pass the the test. Find a good company with a reputable training program, let them know exactly where you are as for your training experience, and get the experience while out with the trainer. I'm not saying that everyone should just run out, get the permit and take the test on their own. He said he has 20 hours behind the wheel. Just about any school that you go to will offer 160 hours of training. In most cases this will consist of 1 week of preparing for the permit tests, one week of obstacle course/backing skills and 1-2 weeks of driving. If it's two weeks of driving for 8 hours per day with 3 other people in the truck you are going to get about 20 actual hours behind the wheel. Some will be a little higher and some will even be lower.

SNI didn't think he was ready or didn't like some other quality about him, does that mean that he totally sucks and would never make a good driver? No, absolutely not, but why spend thousands of dollars more on another school when you already have the same amount of training that most newbies out there have? I know that for around 300 bucks or so Wapakoneta will give you the test in their equipment and even let you practice beforehand. Just my opinion.

As for the carbon based freight, I'll let you keep that. One endorsement that I definitely didn't have any want for was the passenger endorsement... :wink:

Good luck!

nrvsreck 10-08-2006 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsfan
My loads are Carbon-Based, 8)

Huh? You haul pencils for a living? ROFL! :lol:

movinit 10-08-2006 08:08 PM

You were with an instructor that ALLOWED you to perform 2 unsafe lane changes and run a red light? :shock: :shock: What the heck was the instructor doing in the truck? That instructor has no business being an instructor, hence the title INSTRUCTOR. If you are a trainee then you should be instructed at ALL times on when to move, start or stop that truck safely. It does sound like you have some anxiety issues, however they may have been brought on by the lack of INSTRUCTION by an inferior trainer who was in it for the money.

duck 10-08-2006 08:30 PM

I fail to see how a person in the passenger seat can stop a driver from doing something stupid. Sure he could jup over and grab the wheel but think about how you drive - does your passenger know what's happening before you turn the wheel?

The DRIVER is the one with the throttle and the wheel HE made the decision to make an unsafe lane change and HE ran the red. Instructor or not - the passneger seat is no place to either grab the wheel or try and stop a truck from.

Skullitor 10-09-2006 02:30 AM

Maybe Wile E should drive a Bus? Greyhound or a tour / Charter Company.