Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   TMC (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/16152-tmc.html)

mudflap276 05-06-2006 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnc
dont know about you guys but i just got done with my 3rd week on the road solo and about had a meltdown. this is a different ball game when you dont have someone telling you what to do or where to turn and stuff like that. all i can say is be ready and if you have laptops (which i think most of you have) use them have a good mapping program handy. i really dont want to go in to enormous detail about my experiances thus far but i am just having a hard time. it is not all peaches and cream out there. i am just going to stick things out and pray things get better cause it really cant get any worse for me at the moment.

believe me Johnc, you are not the only one out there with bad weeks and horrible days. example. today i loaded in Laredo. problem 1; bills say load weights 44,540 however my gages say otherwise. problem 2; load cannot get wet, but i am not allowed to tarp on the shippers property and it is sprinkling. i have to call safety about a possible claim. i went to scale the load since i thought i was heavy and sure enough 83,134. the shipper swears that the load is not that heavy. i ended up running it. fortunately i can get away with 84000 in Texas. but i didn't get home until 9:00 pm tonight.

vonSeggern 05-06-2006 11:42 AM

johnc

Yes, it isn't peaches and cream, that's for sure. I wish to remain anonymous with those at the mother ship, who monitor this thread, so I won't go into much detail about my misfortunes.
The 1st week you are terrified.
The 2nd through 8th it still can be frustrating. Mostly the mistakes are mine but the company (crappy directions, slow response to needs) can be at fault too. It is very hard to drive a 65-70 foot truck and not miss turns and get lost.
The other TMC vets and newbies like me might disagree but about week 6 things kind of come together. You secure and tarp faster, know routes and directions more, and just plain work more efficiently. Maybe you just get calloused, don't know. I see other veteran drivers that just calmly get the job done and there I see hope.
Flatbedding and working for TMC are not for the faint of heart. This is tough, dirty, and sometimes frustrating work. The learning curve is steep. I asked the orientation instructors out of the 20 in our class how many would make a year. Their response was 3 or 4.

I didn't go through all the crap at orientation and 6 weeks with a trainer to give up without a fight. Hang in there. We are with you and like Clinton said, "We feel your pain..."

thejoker 05-07-2006 12:15 AM

yeah its a large learning curve and yeah u can see the vets and a lot of times they make it look so smooth but i've seen some new guys that work efficient as well but one things for sure like u guys said u gotta be thick skinned sometimes and basically relax because it is what it is u can't control certain things

Snowman7 05-07-2006 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnc
dont know about you guys but i just got done with my 3rd week on the road solo and about had a meltdown. this is a different ball game when you dont have someone telling you what to do or where to turn and stuff like that. all i can say is be ready and if you have laptops (which i think most of you have) use them have a good mapping program handy. i really dont want to go in to enormous detail about my experiances thus far but i am just having a hard time. it is not all peaches and cream out there. i am just going to stick things out and pray things get better cause it really cant get any worse for me at the moment.

It gets better John! My driver friends and I all laugh about our mistakes the first few weeks, and how different and nerve wracking it is without your trainer. I know its hard but stay calm. Its alot easier to figure things out when you go slow, read the signs, survey the situation. I have been known to turn on the 4 ways and just creep along so I dont miss what I'm looking for. Screw the people behind you, dont let them make you nervous. You cant find what you're looking for watching your mirrors and worrying. Try to get phone numbers for shippers/receivers when you get a load. Dont be afraid to use the CB.

Tcurr,
I assume you mean Steel Warehouse in South Bend? I refuse to go there. 4-5 hrs is average. :evil: I hate that place. Last time I was there was a Fri evening trying to get home and they put the wrong coil on me. Had to get back in line, man was I pissed.

tcurr 05-07-2006 05:16 AM

Yep the steel whorhouse in south bend never again shall i grace there drive.

mudflap276 05-07-2006 02:28 PM

and lest you forget...truckers are second rate citizens there also :cry:

mudflap276 05-07-2006 04:02 PM

Tcurr, what is your OOR since you have been using the Garmin? i just got a Cobra 4500 for real cheap and wonder if it is worth it to clutter up my dash.

Crackaces 05-07-2006 04:08 PM

Quote:

Flatbedding and working for TMC are not for the faint of heart. This is tough, dirty, and sometimes frustrating work. The learning curve is steep. I asked the orientation instructors out of the 20 in our class how many would make a year. Their response was 3 or 4.

And you thought Clint would be dead by now :P .. he is pretty happy (and so am I ..) working at W&S :wink:

Now Clint is going to move over to the W&S flatbed division .. I suspect he will do well there but .. it will be interesting comparing experinces between TMC and W&S flatbedding ..

thejoker 05-07-2006 04:36 PM

where is w&s located at and how many trucks do they have
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

hitman 05-07-2006 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcurr
and only load available is a 2 day run to baltimore MD and deleware.

tcurr, seen a TMC truck exactly like yours, earlier in the week near Newport Delaware on 141 near I95. Truck was pulling out of a gas station...was that you and were ya lost?

tcurr 05-07-2006 07:43 PM

nope was not me

Crackaces 05-07-2006 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejoker
where is w&s located at and how many trucks do they have
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Missoula MT but you can live anywhere within 100 miles of a W&S terminal .. They have 600 trucks but probably less than 100 run flatbed .. the rest run furniture and carpet.

The real question is .. what is the average length of haul between strapping, and tarping .. that is around 1500 miles.

I do think that Clint looked at TMC but the no pet policy was a constraint for him.

Teal 95 KW 05-08-2006 01:00 AM

Hey mudflap, it's kinda crazy seeing someone from around the corner from me. I noticed you're over in China Spring..I live over in Woodway right off of the lake.

mudflap276 05-08-2006 01:07 AM

no kiding. hope you faired well during the storms this weekend. i live off of 185 and china spring rd. nice area.

Teal 95 KW 05-08-2006 01:08 AM

I've been down here in Florida, but the only damage reported was the fence around the pool went down, and a few trees got cleared out, nothing major. How did y'all hold up? I used to date a girl out in that area a few years back.

mudflap276 05-08-2006 03:12 AM

we did alright. one of the tornados came down china spring hwy, right over the house and tore up some power poles on the north side of the road. we never lost power but heard it when it came near. my sister got some damage out in bosqueville so i have been cutting trees all day at her place. called it a day earlier. got to leave in the morning and dont need to be sore this week. my wife is from china spring. i am from lorena. she may know her.

Teal 95 KW 05-08-2006 04:12 AM

Depends on how old she is. I'm only 24. She went to China Spring....her name was Traci Sansom, your wife may know her...she had an older brother named Jason.

NC_TRUCKER 05-13-2006 04:11 PM

T.M.C.

NC_TRUCKER 05-13-2006 04:12 PM

I'm now looking very Hard at putting in an application with T.M.C. but first I must know, am I what T.M.C. would consider as an experienced flat bed hauler with my ten years experience in the wrecker business, using and operating flat beds and landall?

I've hauled everything from wrecked trucks, lumber, big 6,000 lb. rolls of paper, boat batteries, I even hauled a big azz boat on the landall one time, it was being hauled on a trailer but the truck that was pulling the boat and boat trailer were involved in a bad wreck, so I had to drag it all up on the landall and strap in down and haul it to Savannah Ga. for the man, I've hauled over size loads and even some small very fragile loads that have to secured with special care to ensure nothing is damaged.

And something else I'm thinking on looking into is a dedicated run.. What kinds of runs are for the south east dedicated routes? and could I get home every weekend with being on dedicated?

mudflap276 05-13-2006 04:15 PM

NC
send a PM to TMC
he is a recruiter and would have the answers to your questions. personnaly. i have run to south carolina numerous times and know that there is a lot of freight in the carolinas so hometime should not be a problem.

NC_TRUCKER 05-13-2006 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudflap276
NC
send a PM to TMC
he is a recruiter and would have the answers to your questions. personnaly. i have run to south carolina numerous times and know that there is a lot of freight in the carolinas so hometime should not be a problem.

I will do it, thank you... :D

vonSeggern 05-13-2006 07:57 PM

nc

You shouldn't have any problem getting a job with TMC and getting home each weekend. NC is full of freight, in and out. You may be a lumber tarping expert though. That is what most of the nc/sc boys tell me.

tcurr, was that you at Hunter in IL?

GoldiesPlating 05-14-2006 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC_TRUCKER
I'm now looking very Hard at putting in an application with T.M.C. but first I must know, am I what T.M.C. would consider as an experienced flat bed hauler with my ten years experience in the wrecker business, using and operating flat beds and landall?

I've hauled everything from wrecked trucks, lumber, big 6,000 lb. rolls of paper, boat batteries, I even hauled a big azz boat on the landall one time, it was being hauled on a trailer but the truck that was pulling the boat and boat trailer were involved in a bad wreck, so I had to drag it all up on the landall and strap in down and haul it to Savannah Ga. for the man, I've hauled over size loads and even some small very fragile loads that have to secured with special care to ensure nothing is damaged.

And something else I'm thinking on looking into is a dedicated run.. What kinds of runs are for the south east dedicated routes? and could I get home every weekend with being on dedicated?

I'm not sure about the dedicated stuff, but I can tell you that flat bedding with an 80,000 pound truck is VERY different than ANY flat bedding with a wrecker. I've driven flatbed wreckers for quite a few years prior to joining TMC and there is absolutely NO COMPARISON. TMC's loads typically weigh close to 50,000 pounds and some are a single metal coil weighing 45,000 pounds! The securement, risks, and knowledge required are VASTLY GREATER than anything I ever encountered driving a LARGE flatbed wrecker in NYC. BUT..... It is a LOT more interesting AND fun so GO FOR IT!!!
Best of luck to you and if you have any questions, feel free to call me. My #'s on my website below.

NC_TRUCKER 05-14-2006 03:16 PM

I'm not sure about the dedicated stuff, but I can tell you that flat bedding with an 80,000 pound truck is VERY different than ANY flat bedding with a wrecker. I've driven flatbed wreckers for quite a few years prior to joining TMC and there is absolutely NO COMPARISON. TMC's loads typically weigh close to 50,000 pounds and some are a single metal coil weighing 45,000 pounds! The securement, risks, and knowledge required are VASTLY GREATER than anything I ever encountered driving a LARGE flatbed wrecker in NYC.[/quote]

I guess you must have misunderstood my post a little, sure I have driven some flat bed wreckers, but that wasn't the type of flat bed experience that I was speaking of having.

Yes there is a world of difference between using a flatbed "Wrecker" and hauling big "Heavy" loads on a flat bed behind a peterbilt tractor, and that's what I was speaking of having the most experience with, a 1989 Peterbilt day cab truck, pulling either a landall trailer, or a 48' flat bed trailer, I used that landall trailer on many occasions to load brand new Freightliner day cab trucks over at the Freightliner plant in Mount Holly N.C. to deliver to one of our customers up in Greensborro N.C. The reason we used the landall to haul the tractors is unlike towing them with a wrecker, by using the Landall we could take two at a time in one shot on one load.

And we hauled a lot of heavy loads for some equipment rental and sales companies, we would haul oversize loads such as excavators, and bulldozers, very, very, large front end loaders ect.

Yes I totally agree with you, there is a very big difference in flat bed wrecker towing and flat bed trucking, but even though I was working for a wrecker company what I did the most of was flat bed trucking and big truck towing.

I did drive and operate some flat bed wreckers, but not very often, I did more of the big stuff than anything.

Types, of equpment I've made a living with.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/hgary2003/mz.jpg

The types of loads we would haul, but there was so much more I wish I could show you.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/hgary2003/ht.jpghttp://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ry2003/tra.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ry2003/mwt.jpghttp://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...2003/Wreck.jpg

GoldiesPlating 05-14-2006 03:42 PM

Whoops, my bad!!! I did misunderstand. Judging by your pics, I'd say you qualify as an experienced driver and then some! Probably just have to go thru a quick orientation period, maybe a couple days with a driver/trainer to learn the TMC system and then pass a TMC road test. I'm SURE you'll do fine! Best of luck to you and stay safe.

Fred

NC_TRUCKER 05-14-2006 03:53 PM

Thanks, and by the way Fred, I love that web site of yours.. You certainly have some great pic's and some great stuff on there, I've really enjoined it a lot..

It Looks Great!

vonSeggern 05-14-2006 04:20 PM

nc,

I am pretty sure that this is how your TMC training would go:

They will test your driving at the beginning of orientation. If you pass and have a certain amount of driving experience (not sure what that is), you would just do the first week of orientation. The first week is paperwork, policy, safety, and watching plenty of dead bodies on accident videos. The weekend after the end of the first week is load securement.

After that you would probably go out with a trainer for 4 weeks instead of 6. It all depends on your driving ability and grasp of the "TMC Way" to secure and tarp loads.

Then back to Des Moines (or Indianapolis, I saw people being tested there) for a road test and 1-1/2 days of stuff. Then you would be issued a truck in Des Moines or Indianapolis.

DO NOT take your orientation in South Carolina, no matter how close it is. Go to Des Moines. I made the mistake and have regretted it since.

I really looks like you have the experience and will be able to go the short route. Good luck.

GoldiesPlating 05-14-2006 04:25 PM

I agree with von

GoldiesPlating 05-14-2006 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC_TRUCKER
Thanks, and by the way Fred, I love that web site of yours.. You certainly have some great pic's and some great stuff on there, I've really enjoined it a lot..

It Looks Great!

Thanks nc. Keep us all posted on your decision(s) and adventures!

NC_TRUCKER 05-14-2006 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vonSeggern

DO NOT take your orientation in South Carolina, no matter how close it is. Go to Des Moines. I made the mistake and have regretted it since.

Why not Columbia S.C.?

vonSeggern 05-14-2006 08:27 PM

Let me put it this way.

You will get better training, in a better facility, and stay in a better hotel in Des Moines. Way better, like in multiples better.

Go to the mother ship. It will help you in the future.

NC_TRUCKER 05-14-2006 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vonSeggern
Let me put it this way.

You will get better training, in a better facility, and stay in a better hotel in Des Moines. Way better, like in multiples better.

Go to the mother ship. It will help you in the future.

I don't believe you could have made it any more clear than that..

I sent that T.M.C. recruiter a message, I still haven't heard back from him yet, I guess it will have to be next weekend, I'll be back out on the big road again tommorow..

aldo 05-14-2006 09:31 PM

hey TMC drivers hows it going?
I am thinking of making the switch from cassens to TMC to much union bad trucks and down town Chicago.
I have been with cassens since Jan this year just curious at what to expect from going to TMC. Will have the full six weeks with trainer or will it be shorter?
My driving is ok but still lots off room for improvment and will i expect a road test and could i ask to stay out longer with a trainer.
Spoke to many TMC drivers on road all i have spoken to seem happy and equipment looks top of the line. Better than my car hauler with 1.5 mil miles on it. Thankx for any help. Goldie great web site

vonSeggern 05-14-2006 10:16 PM

Aldo,

Check with a recruiter to see if you are line haul (home every weekend) or long haul (home every other weekend). Matt, AKA TMC would answer your PM. I can't tell from the map on www.tmctrans.com whether Detroit is in or out of the line haul area.

We are generally a happy lot. I/we run into plenty of bullcrap out there that frustrates us. Most of it isn't the company but shippers and consignees. I guess that goes with the business.

The company is a good one. The have delivered what they promised. The trucks are nice, I have a nice one. You can also get an old Freightliner too until it wears out and you get your new Peterbilt.

Most of my TMC compadres are content but many have dropped out too. Many drivers quit in the first few months, many abandon their trucks and walk off. To be perfectly honest with you, I have had my moments. Be sure that you understand flatbedding; tough physical work mixed in with occasional lousy weather can beat you up pretty bad. For a new driver the money is very good.

Good luck and keep checking in here for information. TMC drivers love to spew opinions.

I am guessing that if you have only been driving since January you will have to go through the whole process, or most of it. Perhaps not.

mudflap276 05-14-2006 10:47 PM

NC and aldo, i sent you both a PM.

TMC 05-17-2006 03:21 PM

NC Trucker- I pm'd you, sorry for the delay.

Von- Detroit is just on the Line-haul line so we can get guys home 46/52 weekends per year in Detroit.

I know some people have mentioned how they might be the only ones left out of their orienation class after being here for awhile, sometimes this is true for the simple fact that this is career change for most of the people we hire and it's tough for them to be away from home. Most guys don't know how hard it is until they do it. You guys can attest to this and if there is any advice you can give to newbies, I think that is the main thing they need to look at. I guess you won't know if you can do it until you actually get out in do it. What I have noticed is it's either in someone's blood or not. It can be a rewarding career but there a lot of sacrifices to make in order to be successful.

vonSeggern 05-17-2006 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMC
NC Trucker- I pm'd you, sorry for the delay.

Von- Detroit is just on the Line-haul line so we can get guys home 46/52 weekends per year in Detroit.

I know some people have mentioned how they might be the only ones left out of their orienation class after being here for awhile, sometimes this is true for the simple fact that this is career change for most of the people we hire and it's tough for them to be away from home. Most guys don't know how hard it is until they do it. You guys can attest to this and if there is any advice you can give to newbies, I think that is the main thing they need to look at. I guess you won't know if you can do it until you actually get out in do it. What I have noticed is it's either in someone's blood or not. It can be a rewarding career but there a lot of sacrifices to make in order to be successful.

This is why I like this company. Everything, good and bad is up front for you to make a decision all during the hiring process. Even from a recruiter!

Trucking, especially flatbedding, is not for everyone. It ain't just about listening to the radio and driving. There is much more than you can imagine; pressure, paperwork, safety, responsiblity. Understand that in flatbedding every load can kill you or someone just minding their own business. You can't cut corners because your load, without that last strap or chain, could mean serious injury to soemone; just because you are dead tired doesn't mean you can compromise safety. We have to look at it as our very own families are in the other cars on the highway; they are someone's family that is for sure. That's a lot of damn pressure.

Carefully consider your choice of trucking as a career move. Carefully consider flatbedding as a viable option. Even consider whether TMC is the right company; you may not like doing things the TMC (right) way.

Good Luck

05-17-2006 07:59 PM

Where is tcurr?

Havn't seen a post from tcurr lately.
Hows he doing?

aldo 05-18-2006 03:47 PM

I am heading to Des Monies to work for TMC.
They have classed my as a driver with more than three months experiance since i have been driving for cassens since Jan.
The trucks at Cassens are seven speeds no spliter and you do more loading and unloading of vehilce than actuall driving.
I am just a little concerned about the road test that TMC is going to give me.
I haven't driven a conventional tractor trailer since i was at school last December 05.
I was hopeing some one could give me some info on the driving test and i was wondering if the instructors are understanding about the differnt levels of driver skills. Do they have you do a 90/45 degree dock etc and would they be ok if i missed a couple of gears.
I am excited about going to TMC and i imagine load securement is just like hauling cars.
Any info would be great.

The Highlander

vonSeggern 05-18-2006 04:52 PM

Aldo,

TMC completely understands new drivers and is very patient with them. You will be retrained their way of backing and driving. As you may know, a 48 foot spread axle is very hard to manueuver as the rear axle is all the way back. Thank god for the air dump.
You will have some difficulty, like we all did, with the super 10 and thirteen speed transmissions. Again they will show you some good techniques and be helpful.
The testing is to determine whether or not you are ready for the next step, 6 weeks with a trainer. You can make mistakes within reason, everyone does.

Good luck.