Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   US Xpress (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/11422-us-xpress.html)

Georgia Hot Dogg 09-21-2005 03:29 PM

US Xpress

Any one work or has worked for US Xpress?

They are my top choice along with Star Transportation out of Nashville, TN.

I cannot get any info on Star...I want to get any info on USX I can weekly miles, equipment...anything.

Thanks for any info!

09-21-2005 04:37 PM

I spent my first 5 months with star.............I didnt come out from them in any better financial shape than when I went in...they have their good points, but for the most part unless you get one of their dedicated runs(good luck on that) you wont run a whole lot of miles for your first few months. They dont have tuition reimbursement so you are on your own with that loan while you are out their strugling for miles. They have pretty good equipment and start you out at $.30 per mile after your training period but that stuff doesnt do you much good if you are not running enough miles to make it worth your while...for the 5 months i was there....I would say i averaged for the whole time probably 1900 miles per week total...that=not good!

They sell you that their drivers average 3500-2700, that average comes from tha fact that alot of their dedicated drivers are running 3500+ per week. Newbies in the syatem are not so lucky.

But if you are in a hurry to get your training done they are quick about that...they send you out with trainer for 3-4 weeks and require you to do a minimum of 10,000 miles behind the wheel. I got mine done in 14 trips in just around 3 weeks thanks to being put with a trainer on a very aggressive dedicated route.

Fuel network is pilot, repairs are pretty easy to get done at their full service terminals. $.30 to start.....$.32 after 6 months. Insurance and stuff after 90 days. Volvos and Freightliners. Weekends home(i never had a problem with that part of it) But as a newbie you do a lot of sitting and waiting....especialy if they send you to florida. I cant say they were a teribble company...but i also cant say they were great...would have been a real good company if they would just run their drivers harder sometime. There are a lot of happy drivers that have been with them for years but their are alos a lot of drivers that had the same experince i did.

One other plus for them....if you keep your fuel mileage up to par, after 6 months your trucks are capable of running the actual speed limit of 70 mph...but warning on that, if you at anytime ever crawl over 75 going down hills or anything, they bump you back to about 63...that sucks...anyways, hope I gave you a little helpful info on star....ask anything else you might wanna know about them and i can probably help.

Georgia Hot Dogg 09-21-2005 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagerbomber
I spent my first 5 months with star.............I didnt come out from them in any better financial shape than when I went in...they have their good points, but for the most part unless you get one of their dedicated runs(good luck on that) you wont run a whole lot of miles for your first few months. They dont have tuition reimbursement so you are on your own with that loan while you are out their strugling for miles. They have pretty good equipment and start you out at $.30 per mile after your training period but that stuff doesnt do you much good if you are not running enough miles to make it worth your while...for the 5 months i was there....I would say i averaged for the whole time probably 1900 miles per week total...that=not good!

They sell you that their drivers average 3500-2700, that average comes from tha fact that alot of their dedicated drivers are running 3500+ per week. Newbies in the syatem are not so lucky.

But if you are in a hurry to get your training done they are quick about that...they send you out with trainer for 3-4 weeks and require you to do a minimum of 10,000 miles behind the wheel. I got mine done in 14 trips in just around 3 weeks thanks to being put with a trainer on a very aggressive dedicated route.

Fuel network is pilot, repairs are pretty easy to get done at their full service terminals. $.30 to start.....$.32 after 6 months. Insurance and stuff after 90 days. Volvos and Freightliners. Weekends home(i never had a problem with that part of it) But as a newbie you do a lot of sitting and waiting....especialy if they send you to florida. I cant say they were a teribble company...but i also cant say they were great...would have been a real good company if they would just run their drivers harder sometime. There are a lot of happy drivers that have been with them for years but their are alos a lot of drivers that had the same experince i did.

One other plus for them....if you keep your fuel mileage up to par, after 6 months your trucks are capable of running the actual speed limit of 70 mph...but warning on that, if you at anytime ever crawl over 75 going down hills or anything, they bump you back to about 63...that sucks...anyways, hope I gave you a little helpful info on star....ask anything else you might wanna know about them and i can probably help.

Thanks alot Jagerbomber...this helps alot. I am trying to see which company would give me the most miles per week US Xpress or Star...they both have good hometime. Your info was excellent...I will make a decision soon, I get out of school in 2 weeks.

ajxsc 09-21-2005 08:17 PM

miles

You can easily get 2500 miles per week with USX and go home on w/e's.
It depends on how you want to run.
Say they give you a 500 mile trip with two days to get there. DO you stop and break at your favorite truck stop.
do you call receiver and see if they will take you early?
do you go close to destination and park and wait till your appt?

Most places will take you early SOME will not. It takes some time figuring out which and what types will.
Once you and you travel agent get familar with each other and how to operate 2500 miles with good home time is not a problem.
They have plenty of frieght heading in all directions.

09-21-2005 08:33 PM

Yeah, at star, I got plagued with loads that would give me 2-2 1/2 days to get somewhere I could be at in a day and a half and the customer would always end up being someone that would not take the loads early and would put you way way back in line if you missed the exact time...hard to get 2500 that way, that was another problem....I could have easily run 2700 or better a week and had good home time had I been set up properly......I am also considering U.S. Expres at this time.

Georgia Hot Dogg 09-21-2005 09:15 PM

that's good...I am leaning towards USX...I have pre-hires from both. Just will call the recruiter when i make up my mind.

Looking at USX southeast regional fleet.

willyworm 09-25-2005 06:43 AM

I'll try and answer some of questions about US Xpress

US Xpress starts new drivers at .35 a mile and a raise every 3 months the first year. you would be at .37 1/2 cent the end of the first year.
And that's for a Driver with NO past experience.

If you have received your CDL's in the past 18 months
You will be sent out with a trainer for 150 hours BTW (behind the wheel) for 3-4 weeks before you would be tested and up graded to first seat and receive your own truck.

So why would you start some where that pays less?

USX routes the loads and sets the fuel stops through your dispatch

USX is a FORCED DISPATCH
except New York City, Long Island and Canada! (There's a drop yard in New Jersey for New York City loads)

They fuel at Loves and Pilot most of the time.
They will send you to a TA or a Dealer for service, if your to far from a terminal.

Your fleet manager and customer Service is the person that sets appoints and changes them. You must go through the Fleet Manager.

2500 miles a week and still get home for the weekend is not impossible but it not going to happen often. more like 2000-2200 miles in a five day period. your not going to get 500 pay miles a day and get home every weekend. and you will do some short loads and rail pick up and drops.

If you stay out over weekend you could do 2300-to 3000 miles+ but if they start routing you home about Wednesday and you may have to pull some short loads to make it work out.
(They do a good job at getting you home on Friday or Saturday)

You will not find to many 500 mile loads that gives you a lot of time to hang out in truck stops.
And if you do, it will be over the weekend, then you won't want a 500 mile run to last two days, that eats up your hours and shorten your pay miles,
You would like a 750 to 800 mile run to cover the weekend. (and that's hard to get ) A lot of the longer load go by Teams

If your going to be out there on the road you should be working. (LEGALLY) and if you work for USX it will be (LEGALLY ) they won't put up with it. And they will catch you if you'll playing with the log books.

Here's some "FREE ADVICE" You will NOT get 2200 pay miles a week hanging out in Truck stops. (Fuel, Shower, eat and get out) and get your rest take your 10 hours and sleep as much of it as possible, and eat right

Setting in the Truck stops playing video games is a fools game, you are losing your money and miles, while the truck stop get rich.
It's a Bad habit, and you would be surprised of the drivers that spend their whole pay check playing them damn machines.

As for the bunk house at Medway, OH
they have a shuttle bus that's runs to town and back every hour until midnight every day. and "IT FREE"! and there is difference types of food delivery to the bunkhouse available, also the washers and dryers use is Also FREE!

It's better then the US Army's bunkhouse. (back in 1975) for sure!
It's not that bad and you shouldn't be there very long

Good luck
Willyworm

fireman932003 09-25-2005 04:28 PM

Hey Willyworm, do you know anything about the Dollar Tree account they have? I am set up to be on that. I leave for orientation next week. I will be going to Oklahoma City though.

shahan 09-25-2005 11:16 PM

I just did my 1st Dollar tree run and hopefully my last. The directions they give you tells you how to get to the main entrance, but your on your own finding the truck entrance. I was like 2 inches from hitting a telephone pole making a turn with my steer tire rubbing up against a curb. I hopped a couple curbs and had to do 3 u-turns in the middle of streets because of bad directions. They put a box of amonia cleaner at the bottom of the trailer and it busted and I had this horrible smell inside the trailer while I was trying to unload. For me it was very stressful getting into the shopping centers and very tiring unloading a 53 ft trailer box by box. But I did make 170$ unloading and .34 cpm @ 489 miles. For a days work. And you do 3-5 in a week. Some people here like it and make $1500 a week, but I hate it, for me its not worth the money.

fireman932003 09-26-2005 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shahan
I just did my 1st Dollar tree run and hopefully my last. The directions they give you tells you how to get to the main entrance, but your on your own finding the truck entrance. I was like 2 inches from hitting a telephone pole making a turn with my steer tire rubbing up against a curb. I hopped a couple curbs and had to do 3 u-turns in the middle of streets because of bad directions. They put a box of amonia cleaner at the bottom of the trailer and it busted and I had this horrible smell inside the trailer while I was trying to unload. For me it was very stressful getting into the shopping centers and very tiring unloading a 53 ft trailer box by box. But I did make 170$ unloading and .34 cpm @ 489 miles. For a days work. And you do 3-5 in a week. Some people here like it and make $1500 a week, but I hate it, for me its not worth the money.

So, exactly how does it work? Is that 489 total round trip or one way. I think you said that was one days work. How many stops did you have on that one trl? How much time between stores? I have lots of questions. Just tell me everything. :?: :?: :?: