User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2007, 01:58 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Knight Trans Bottom Line

Hi to all, I'm new to this forum. First is First, I would like to clarify some things about knight Transportation. I see that all the info that people are giving are some what incorrect. I've noticed that no one has mentioned that Knight has a sliding pay scale. Other words, the more you run, you pay will not increase as much as you may think. If you run 400mi, you are getting no more than 200.00. If you ran 500mi +, than you pay will not be more than 100.00 of the 200.00. For those whom seeked or seeking employment with Knight, please feel free to express your experiences or questions. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Knight's sliding pay scale has been mentioned many, many times in these forums.

The way I always looked at their pay scale was the lowest cpm, which is for the longest runs, was your "base" pay and the lower mileage runs with the higher cpm was the same as many companies....extra money to take the shorter hauls.

It has been a couple of years since I was with Knight, but when I was there the best runs, IMHO, were those that came in just under 500 miles. You got an extra 2 cpm, and at the time Knight's trucks were gov at 62 mph, so a 480-490 mile run plus the loading/unloading would pretty well burn up a day.

A lot of people look at Knight's pay scale and automatically think it sucks. They would rather work for a company that pays a straight rate of lets say 35 cpm and then give you and extra $20 or $30 for runs under a certain length. I have worked for many companies like that, and for me at least, I made a lot more money with Knight than at any other company.

Yes there are companies that do offer a higher rate, but very few offer the flexibility in hometime and running areas that Knight does. Also Knight has one of the best detention pay policies that I have ever seen for a dry van or reefer company. They pay detention after 2 hours instead of the 4+ most other companies do. This can and does make a huge difference in your pay at the end of the week.

Knight is not a perfect company, none are, and they are not a company that just anyone can work at and be successful. While it holds true at most companies that a driver needs to learn how to work the system it is even more true at Knight. If a driver learns how to work with the system Knight has sets up, can develop a good relationship with their fleet manager, their terminals operations manager and terminal manager then they can do quite well, but if you try to buck the system and make it conform to you then that is often when problems arise.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:24 AM
Rookie

You are absolutely correct, however; they have changed the system. They are going, or have gone to Eastern and Western deliveries. So they have told me. I'm out of the Richmond Va. terminal and they seems to keep their drivers in the New England area all the time. Now you know as a truck driver, most whom aren't residing in those areas aren't going to run in that area all the time. That's why someone in another forum mention that, they get the loads to New Jersey alot, because no one else wants to run it. When you start mixing hours to miles, then you are really driving backwards. Meaning; you aren't potentially making what you should. I hope no one has ever tried to buck the system. Like you said, it's not going to work. Knight is keeping the east coast drivers on the East Coast and vise-versa. Now you know that their terminals are having "terminal wars", which affects the drivers over-all. I have driven in many states, and Knight refuses to send me to Texas or Florida. I don't like to be confined to one area. They continues to send me to places like New York, and Chicago, and Jersey City.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:45 AM

Can you tell me how difficult it is to pass their step test please. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSlim
You are absolutely correct, however; they have changed the system. They are going, or have gone to Eastern and Western deliveries. So they have told me. I'm out of the Richmond Va. terminal and they seems to keep their drivers in the New England area all the time. Now you know as a truck driver, most whom aren't residing in those areas aren't going to run in that area all the time. That's why someone in another forum mention that, they get the loads to New Jersey alot, because no one else wants to run it. When you start mixing hours to miles, then you are really driving backwards. Meaning; you aren't potentially making what you should. I hope no one has ever tried to buck the system. Like you said, it's not going to work. Knight is keeping the east coast drivers on the East Coast and vise-versa. Now you know that their terminals are having "terminal wars", which affects the drivers over-all. I have driven in many states, and Knight refuses to send me to Texas or Florida. I don't like to be confined to one area. They continues to send me to places like New York, and Chicago, and Jersey City.
where about in jersey city........????
Old 11-12-2007, 02:25 AM

Humm. well as far as I go, Kc terminal. I'am still running anywhere and everywhere.
New york to LA to tampa to minn?
Not sure what you mean by keeping driver's in an area, unless they want to be there.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Rookie

Not sure what you mean by keeping driver's in an area, unless they want to be there.

I don't know about this terml. Yes they are trying to keep all their drivers in one area. I don't like running the New England Area. I preferr going mid-west. I have just changed my availability with them, by going casual driver. I am looking for a company now who pay well, and more for the driver. Also they have to have good benefits. Would anyone preferr going O/O brokering? I'm open for ideals.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Rookie

Farder, I'm sorry for not getting back sooner. Here's how the step test operates and what they are looking for. If you are tall, then you wouldn't have much problem, however, big and short, then you may have some trouble. Don't get alarmed, if you have played football ever, then you can relate. It's mostly pulling, and lifting. Advise, don't try to rush yourself.

Stepping: step on an object, step off. It's like doing the two step, you can do this at home. Advise, keep count in your head, 1,2..1,2..1,2..etc

Lifting: Picking up a box of weights, placing it over your head on a shelf, taking is off and setting it on the floor. Advise, bend knees and keeping it close to your body.

Take your time and you won't have any problems. I'm tall, and slim, but I do smoke, and I didn't have any problems. Just like in the weight room. I hope this will give you a total insight of what to expect.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:32 PM

Thank you very much BigSlim! I'm sure I can do it without a problem. I was just worried about busting a sweat or something since I'm out of shape. Looks like I should pass it OK.

Thanks again!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by farder
Thank you very much BigSlim! I'm sure I can do it without a problem. I was just worried about busting a sweat or something since I'm out of shape. Looks like I should pass it OK.

Thanks again!!!
No problem. I busted a sweet, and I am out of shape so I know you can do it. Just remember, don't, "rush yourself".