User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2007, 05:38 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Schneider or TMC

I am new to the industry, I've never done driving before, though both of these companies have accepted applications and I even have training dates lined up. I have done my research on both of these companies and I am lead to believe they are both very respetable companies.

So I guess I am just asking to make sure I am doing the right thing when I choose one over the other. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all
Old 04-04-2007, 06:57 AM
Senior Board Member

You're comparing Apples to Oranges (or Pumpkins in this case).

Schneider is vans and tankers.

You could do a lot worse than Schneider for your 1st job..one of my former coworkers who now runs a yard goat at the Wal-Mart DC started with them. He had high praise for their training, they even have a computer simulator that shows you puts you in different road conditions. He left for LTL as the money was crap..~800 week on a dedicated account out of Reno that had him running hard.

Another driver at my outfit ran for their tank division for them for ~4years. Aside from the sometimes erratic nature of OTR he was ok with it. See Cyanides long running post for the ins and outs of tankers.

As far as I know TMC is strictly a flatbed company. Pulling a skateboard is more lucrative and demanding that reefer or van.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Board Regular

Both Schneider and TMC are good companies. Between the two TMC wins hands down. They pay better than Schneider and get you home every weekend, treat their drivers good, etc. If you want some info on TMC visit flatbedfred.com. He is a TMC driver and he is also in the forum his name is GoldiesPlating. He will be able to tell you more about TMC.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Tino, feel free to call or write me anytime if I you have any questions about TMC and good luck to you.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Uh, to correct. TMC does not get you home every weekend unless you live in a certain geographic area. For instance, if you live South of I-10, you are two weeks, north of I-10, home every weekend. I live 6 miles South of I-10, TMC said no, doesnt qualify for weekly hometime.

Both TMC and SNI have great training programs but you have to take the bad with the good. Flatbedding is alot more work, and personally I felt I wasnt paid ENOUGH to tarp someone elses crap in a showstorm in Iowa.
Add to that, when you go home, the trailer/tractor stays as one unit and goes where you go. You got 70 ft of parking available?

TMC has better equipment than SNI, probably because TMC is a smaller outfit and can put the effort and expense into their equip whereas SNI gets you a bare-bones basic Freightliner. Personally, I dont need a bunch of foo-foo crap, its a job, not a lifestyle.

But you have to remember with dry van, you arent gonna have a easy picnic either. Many a day you will spend searching for trailers in a big huge lot. Or you get to sit at a loading dock for a few hours while they load you ........usually they load you wrong.

SNI trucks are governed out a 63mph, teams get a higher MPH. Mine is governed out at 66mph, but I'm not going to jump up and waive my hand and let 'em know.

Both types of driving have their drawbacks and benefits. Both companies are good to start with. Flatbedding wasnt for me, I'm old and stuff takes longer to heal, and add to that.........I'm lazy. If you are lazy, drive dry van. Just hook it up and go and as far as unloading goes, I've never unloaded anything. They'll tell you to unload it, but you have to learn to tell them different.

I dont think you can go wrong with either company. But I would contact TMC and find out, based on your geographic location if you would qualify for weekly.