Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   And the Survey Says... (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/survey-says-13/)
-   -   Toughest city to get around in? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/survey-says/16533-toughest-city-get-around.html)

Yanke_driver 04-16-2006 02:39 AM

Toughest city to get around in?

I've heard many stories from many drivers on this subject. What is the toughest city in America to navigate your tractor & trailer through? I'm talking everything, like: Traffic, lack of truck routes, narrow roads and low overhead clearences.

Thanks for the input.

Yanke_driver

ronjon619 04-16-2006 04:26 AM

Downtown San Francisco......hands down the west coast winner......in my opinion.

solo379 04-16-2006 04:31 AM

I'd vote for Pittsbugh PA, same as Brooklyn, NY only on the hills! :P

TruckerChris 04-16-2006 04:55 AM

LA hands down. San Fran is a peice of cake but I guess it's cause I lived in the Bay.... :lol:

ben45750 04-16-2006 05:22 AM

I 2nd the Pittsburgh, PA. Would rather go to NYC any day of the week than Pissburgh.

Fozzy 04-16-2006 02:13 PM

Quote:

LA hands down. San Fran is a peice of cake but I guess it's cause I lived in the Bay.... :lol:
I don't know about all that.. At least LA is FLAT! I used to deliver tires in and around SF. The Sear store up on the top Geary Blvd was no fun, but the deliveries in the hilly sections of the city really sucked and were no fun at all! Of course unloading was sorta like rolling the tires out of a lifted dump truck! :P :lol:

ronjon619 04-16-2006 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fozzy
Quote:

I don't know about all that.. At least LA is FLAT! I used to deliver tires in and around SF. The Sear store up on the top Geary Blvd was no fun, but the deliveries in the hilly sections of the city really sucked and were no fun at all! Of course unloading was sorta like rolling the tires out of a lifted dump truck! :P :lol:

That's my problem with that city also. Then you have to worry about trolley cars and their wires. Those wires hang very low. I have to double park to get my cars off and so forth. There also doing alot of construction near the ballpark. What a mess.

Mr. Ford95 04-16-2006 03:32 PM

Never been there but New York. It's why companies are paying drivers extra just to go there. Don't see that with other cities.

Blacksheep 04-16-2006 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Never been there but New York. It's why companies are paying drivers extra just to go there. Don't see that with other cities.

I think it's because of the congestion, right ? they should pay you extra for all the lost time in Chicago to.

wot i life 04-17-2006 03:23 PM

can,t speak about USA but london,rome and paris can all be bad. suppose any big city is. also old cities with very narrow roads such as bath,winchester. there,s some roads over here between towns that have length restrictions due to severity of turns on road(fishguard to cardigan has a forty foot restriction,i have to drive twenty miles in wrong direction to avoid it :cry: ) american roads probably pose unique challenges? where else on earth would they come at you from twelve or thirteen lanes all at once :roll: