Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   And the Survey Says... (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/survey-says-13/)
-   -   Toughest city to get around in? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/survey-says/16533-toughest-city-get-around.html)

Windwalker 06-06-2006 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shahan
i goto queens every week. I have to get in the opposite lane and do a 3 point turn when making a right.

Simple fact... If I had to go there every week, I'd be cutting grass, not driving a truck.

Roadhog 06-09-2006 10:47 PM

Shadetree...Skowhegan's no fun either!! :evil: For it's size it does well to compete. :lol:

06-09-2006 10:54 PM

LA's not that bad, but then again, that's where I learned to drive. Sure the traffic sucks, and people are crazy there, but at least most of the roads are on a grid and make sense. Not like Atlanta, where all the roads are just paved over wagon trails ..(and they are, really). If you need to head east in LA just point and go .. and you will go east. If you want to head east in Atlanta, theres so many switchbacks on those roads the only way you could be sure you were heading east was if you knew the road, had a map, or had a compass.

I dont have a lot of experience with Boston, but the last time I was there their freeways scared me. Kinda akin to being a kamizake bomber to get off the freeway and to an offramp.

Roadhog 06-09-2006 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banshee
I dont have a lot of experience with Boston

:lol: No body does!! It's different every time you go there. You can use such n' such ramp this week and next week not. :evil: Signs!! What signs... oh hell...that's where I was suppose to turn? :evil: :evil: :evil:

yoopr 06-10-2006 01:25 AM

Chicago for Low Overpasses but it's not hard to get around in.
I DON'T see Houston on your List :P
HATE HATE HATE Houston-Sorry Heavenbound :P

Rawlco 06-10-2006 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadhog
Shadetree...Skowhegan's no fun either!! :evil: For it's size it does well to compete. :lol:

If Skowhegan is as bad as it gets then I guess I learned to drive a big rig in the worst city ever :lol: I will admit that the crazy triangle thing is a pain to understand.

At least they time the lights to be truck friendly, not like Portland, Maine. I have seen stoplights in Portland, ME with only sixtyish feet between them, so with a 53' you are blocking traffic while waiting for a light, since they have the timing all screwed up.

yoopr 06-10-2006 05:16 AM

LA is a Piece of cake once you learn the freeway system and alternative routes .

evertruckerr 06-16-2006 08:34 PM

PITTSburgh is appropriately named, I have some very unhappy memories about that place. Here's a city I haven't seen mentioned yet. Houston, the traffic there drives me nuts. The L.I.E. across Long Island with it's 12'6" overpasses wasn't much fun either. Unfortunately I didn't find out a 13'6" trailer fits under them with no problem until I took a 2 hour detour on the side roads trying to go around them. Manhattan (that's what the delivery address said) turned out to be Harlem at 5:00AM was easy to get to at that time of the day, but I was beginning to wonder if I would live long enough to make my 6:00AM delivery. They think nothing of trying to open your trailer doors when your at stop lights. Just don't stop at red lights, problem solved. Getting out was a nightmare around noon after I got unloaded and then found myself lost. Central park it purrdy :withstupid: Oh, yeah, turns out 53' trailers are frowned on. Go figure.

tumbo1 07-22-2006 03:29 AM

atlanta and chicago would be a the tp of my list and knoxville tn for all there construction it has the traffic of atlanta at certain times :evil:

BigRigOperator 08-25-2006 01:42 AM

Well dont know from personal experience but my granpa hated nyc the most for sure.