Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Rules and Regulations and DAC, Oh My (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my-16/)
-   -   New Rule For Truck And Bus Drivers: No Texting (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my/39432-new-rule-truck-bus-drivers-no-texting.html)

AC120 01-26-2010 01:58 PM

New Rule For Truck And Bus Drivers: No Texting

article here
What do you think about it?

Jackrabbit379 01-26-2010 03:59 PM

I think they aughta pass a law that folks can't text in their cars/pickups (4-wheelers). Do those big shots really think that those pesky 4-wheeler drivers are more professional than truck drivers? I understand the fact that truck drivers shouldn't text, but I believe 4-wheelers should fall under the same rule.

Our city finally made a good move. They made a city ordinance, that no one is to be using a cell phone while driving through school zones. They have signs posted at the school zone blinking lights.

Mr. Ford95 01-26-2010 09:43 PM

As Jack said, fine whatever but how about going after the 4 wheelers while your at it Dept. of Transportation. Don't allow it to be a secondary offense either.

Snowman7 01-26-2010 11:46 PM

Is it just texting or does that mean I cant post on CAD and watch DVDs on my laptop while driving too?:whistle:

GMAN 01-27-2010 12:08 AM

The new rule says that you are exempt, Snowman7. :thumbsup:

I see more 4 wheelers texting than those in big trucks. In fact, it is rare that I see a big truck driver texting. Talking is another story. It seems that some of them can't drive without texting. :roll: This is just another feel good piece of legislation that won't impact the majority of voters, such as those driving 4 wheelers. If they really wanted to have an impact they would have it apply to ALL vehicles. Hopefully, they will expand this to include the 4 wheelers.

Snowman7 01-27-2010 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 473558)
The new rule says that you are exempt, Snowman7. :thumbsup:

SUHWEEEET!:lol2:

How bout peeing in a jar while I drive? Can I still do that too?

USMCRebelGuardnU 01-27-2010 01:56 AM

PA's state ban on texting while driving just passed the state House, and yes it's a primary offense. I have to say that I disagree with Dept of Trans only targeting CDL drivers, but I doubt that they have authority to pass it against 4 wheelers. The solution that worked with the drinking age (an argument for another day) is to have Congress attach it to a highway funding bill. State doesn't have a prohibition against it, state doesn't get the federal money.

GMAN 01-27-2010 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman7 (Post 473559)
SUHWEEEET!:lol2:

How bout peeing in a jar while I drive? Can I still do that too?

Yep, that is still cool. Just as long as you have at least one hand or knee on the steering wheel. :cool:

GMAN 01-27-2010 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMCRebelGuardnU (Post 473569)
PA's state ban on texting while driving just passed the state House, and yes it's a primary offense. I have to say that I disagree with Dept of Trans only targeting CDL drivers, but I doubt that they have authority to pass it against 4 wheelers. The solution that worked with the drinking age (an argument for another day) is to have Congress attach it to a highway funding bill. State doesn't have a prohibition against it, state doesn't get the federal money.

I don't think that anyone should be texting while driving. It is all that I can do to talk on my cell phone while checking the computer for loads and driving. I can't imagine texting along with everything else. :lol:

I would not be surprised if they came up with a way to include 4 wheelers. It seems that when a single CDL driver is involved in an accident and found doing something such as texting, that they want to put everyone in the same group together. I think most commercial drivers are too busy to text while they drive. It is much easier for a 4 wheeler since they don't usually need to worry about shifting gears, etc.,

Jackrabbit379 01-27-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman7 (Post 473556)
Is it just texting or does that mean I cant post on CAD and watch DVDs on my laptop while driving too?:whistle:

They didn't say anything about typing. It said, no texting. I think you can still log on, and post on CAD, while driving. :thumbsup: :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
I see more 4 wheelers texting than those in big trucks. In fact, it is rare that I see a big truck driver texting.

Those were my thoughts exactly when I read/heard about the rule. I wonder what a DOT man thinks when he sees someone in their car, texting. :hellno: