Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Rules and Regulations and DAC, Oh My (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my-16/)
-   -   New Rule For Truck And Bus Drivers: No Texting (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my/39432-new-rule-truck-bus-drivers-no-texting.html)

AC120 01-26-2010 01:58 PM

New Rule For Truck And Bus Drivers: No Texting

article here
What do you think about it?

Jackrabbit379 01-26-2010 03:59 PM

I think they aughta pass a law that folks can't text in their cars/pickups (4-wheelers). Do those big shots really think that those pesky 4-wheeler drivers are more professional than truck drivers? I understand the fact that truck drivers shouldn't text, but I believe 4-wheelers should fall under the same rule.

Our city finally made a good move. They made a city ordinance, that no one is to be using a cell phone while driving through school zones. They have signs posted at the school zone blinking lights.

Mr. Ford95 01-26-2010 09:43 PM

As Jack said, fine whatever but how about going after the 4 wheelers while your at it Dept. of Transportation. Don't allow it to be a secondary offense either.

Snowman7 01-26-2010 11:46 PM

Is it just texting or does that mean I cant post on CAD and watch DVDs on my laptop while driving too?:whistle:

GMAN 01-27-2010 12:08 AM

The new rule says that you are exempt, Snowman7. :thumbsup:

I see more 4 wheelers texting than those in big trucks. In fact, it is rare that I see a big truck driver texting. Talking is another story. It seems that some of them can't drive without texting. :roll: This is just another feel good piece of legislation that won't impact the majority of voters, such as those driving 4 wheelers. If they really wanted to have an impact they would have it apply to ALL vehicles. Hopefully, they will expand this to include the 4 wheelers.

Snowman7 01-27-2010 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 473558)
The new rule says that you are exempt, Snowman7. :thumbsup:

SUHWEEEET!:lol2:

How bout peeing in a jar while I drive? Can I still do that too?

USMCRebelGuardnU 01-27-2010 01:56 AM

PA's state ban on texting while driving just passed the state House, and yes it's a primary offense. I have to say that I disagree with Dept of Trans only targeting CDL drivers, but I doubt that they have authority to pass it against 4 wheelers. The solution that worked with the drinking age (an argument for another day) is to have Congress attach it to a highway funding bill. State doesn't have a prohibition against it, state doesn't get the federal money.

GMAN 01-27-2010 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman7 (Post 473559)
SUHWEEEET!:lol2:

How bout peeing in a jar while I drive? Can I still do that too?

Yep, that is still cool. Just as long as you have at least one hand or knee on the steering wheel. :cool:

GMAN 01-27-2010 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMCRebelGuardnU (Post 473569)
PA's state ban on texting while driving just passed the state House, and yes it's a primary offense. I have to say that I disagree with Dept of Trans only targeting CDL drivers, but I doubt that they have authority to pass it against 4 wheelers. The solution that worked with the drinking age (an argument for another day) is to have Congress attach it to a highway funding bill. State doesn't have a prohibition against it, state doesn't get the federal money.

I don't think that anyone should be texting while driving. It is all that I can do to talk on my cell phone while checking the computer for loads and driving. I can't imagine texting along with everything else. :lol:

I would not be surprised if they came up with a way to include 4 wheelers. It seems that when a single CDL driver is involved in an accident and found doing something such as texting, that they want to put everyone in the same group together. I think most commercial drivers are too busy to text while they drive. It is much easier for a 4 wheeler since they don't usually need to worry about shifting gears, etc.,

Jackrabbit379 01-27-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman7 (Post 473556)
Is it just texting or does that mean I cant post on CAD and watch DVDs on my laptop while driving too?:whistle:

They didn't say anything about typing. It said, no texting. I think you can still log on, and post on CAD, while driving. :thumbsup: :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
I see more 4 wheelers texting than those in big trucks. In fact, it is rare that I see a big truck driver texting.

Those were my thoughts exactly when I read/heard about the rule. I wonder what a DOT man thinks when he sees someone in their car, texting. :hellno:

jd112488 01-27-2010 05:06 PM

what about eating a cheesburger, talking on the phone without a handsfree device, looking at my newest playboy, and uhmm..doing what i do while looking at playboy, all at the same time?? is that cool? oh, and that is with my wiggles.

Roadhog 01-27-2010 05:53 PM

EJECT - EJECT - EJECT !!

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../loudlaugh.gif hahahahahaha ( cof ) ... I just made Snowman take an exit.

Jackrabbit379 01-27-2010 07:41 PM

Breaking news:... UPS driver run off of road by crazy driver. It appears that this driver has been accused to roadhogging.

:D :confused: :p

Snowman7 01-27-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd112488 (Post 473614)
, looking at my newest playboy, and uhmm..doing what i do while looking at playboy,

Thats no problem Jed cuz from what I hear your hands probably wouldnt be away from the wheel for all that long anyway. From a time standpoint thats much safer than texting while driving!:rofl:

cdswans 01-28-2010 12:14 AM

I support the practically unenforceable ban absolutely! Bravo! I'll call it proactively unenforceable. How are you going to catch someone before anything bad happens? On the other hand, I'll bet it will be very effective in reactive enforcement:

If you find yourself in an incident (collision, most likely) of any measurable consequence and you're still alive, you'll be asked to surrender your phone and when you wisely decline, LE will waste little time in getting a subpoena for it and your phone records. They did it before the ban. Now, they'll have a new crime to add to your list and a little something extra for plaintiffs lawyers to use against you.

As for the "feel good" aspect of this, GMan is correct. It's going to make your employer, where applicable, feel very good when it's lawyer can stand up in court and declare "Not only was this lout in violation of our clearly stated company policy, he/she was also breaking the law! Surely you'll consider this as you apportion the blame!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 (Post 473550)
As Jack said, fine whatever but how about going after the 4 wheelers while your at it Dept. of Transportation. Don't allow it to be a secondary offense either.

The DOT's authority extends only to the "Federal" CDL. It's up to the states to police their own dls.

cdswans 01-28-2010 01:53 AM

Distracted, with a twist . .

Man Talking On Cell Phone Run Over By Tractor-Trailer - Kern County Mountain Area News Story - KERO Bakersfield

"The CHP said that it's important to remember that cellular phones remain a distraction for both pedestrians and motorists."

What they didn't say is whether or not the driver is facing any charges.

USMCRebelGuardnU 01-28-2010 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 473571)
I don't think that anyone should be texting while driving. It is all that I can do to talk on my cell phone while checking the computer for loads and driving. I can't imagine texting along with everything else. :lol:

I would not be surprised if they came up with a way to include 4 wheelers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdswans (Post 473631)
The DOT's authority extends only to the "Federal" CDL. It's up to the states to police their own dls.

I'm not arguing against the ban of texting (or calling without hands-free) while driving. Do I text while driving my poor little Ford Focus? I did, when the phone I had used a regular keypad with T9 and I didn't have to look at it to "type". Admitting that, I refuse to use myself as an example of the average driver, 4 wheeler or not.

I agree with what CDSwans said. The only reason the USDOT is bringing this up against CDL drivers is that the feds have no means to affect 4 wheelers. The only Constitutional way for there to be a national legislation affecting 4 wheelers in this matter is for Congress to make it a mandatory condition for states to receive federal highway money. It worked to make the "national" drinking age 21, and it will work in this case. Whether the current riff-raff in office consider it enough of an issue to do so is another matter.

Twilight Flyer 01-28-2010 02:41 PM

As far as I'm concerned, whether we're talking truckers or 4-wheelers, it's only common sense to not be texting while driving. Unfortunately, more and more people are lacking in common sense, which forces the government to make a law about it.

It's the same dumbed down populace that has forced companies like Sunbeam to put warning labels on their toasters saying something to the effect, "making toast while sitting in a bathtub full of water makes you a complete moron, so don't do it."

And make no mistake, 4-wheelers are probably a whole lot more guilty of it then drivers are, because a lot of drivers understand they are supposed to be professionals. But 4-wheelers are dying every day because they are Darwin candidates. Had a 15 year old girl here locally just recently kill herself and her 17 year old passenger, because she was texting while she was driving to school. 15 years old! And let's not forget the 5 teenage girls last year in Georgia, I think, that were in a head-on with a truck because all five of them were texting! Just graduated high school 2 weeks prior and now they are dead.

Common sense...where has it gone? :roll:

Kranky 01-31-2010 08:24 PM

From the CNN article:

Quote:

The focus on texting while driving comes after a few high-profile accidents.
In September 2008, a California commuter train engineer missed a stop signal while trading text messages with a friend, leading to a collision with a freight train that killed 25 people, according to federal investigators.
A mass-transit accident in Boston, Massachusetts, injured 62 people in May. The operator of a Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority trolley later was charged with gross negligence after admitting he had been texting seconds before the collision with another trolley, according to the Suffolk County district attorney and a National Transportation Safety Board official.
In light of the mass casualties in these 2 incidents, have they banned texting for train engineers too, or just for drivers of CMV's?

golfhobo 01-31-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kranky (Post 473921)
From the CNN article:

In light of the mass casualties in these 2 incidents, have they banned texting for train engineers too, or just for drivers of CMV's?

Not sure, but I think that was done some time ago.

Windwalker 02-01-2010 05:42 AM

I don't know about any studies done as far as texting goes, but I have seen, recently (and I wish I could find the article), that there has been no change in hiway safety where cell phone use has been banned. It suggests that cell phones are not a hazard to safety on the hiway. (Or, it suggests that cell phones are still being used in spite of the law)

kc0iv 02-01-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windwalker (Post 473965)
I don't know about any studies done as far as texting goes, but I have seen, recently (and I wish I could find the article), that there has been no change in hiway safety where cell phone use has been banned. It suggests that cell phones are not a hazard to safety on the hiway. (Or, it suggests that cell phones are still being used in spite of the law)

"University of Utah psychology professor David Strayer, in a study on cell phone use and auto accidents, said, "If you put a 20-year-old driver behind the wheel with a cell phone, their reaction times are the same as a 70-year-old who is not using a cell phone." Strayer's study was published in the quarterly journal Human Factors.

Each year, cell phone distraction while driving causes approximately 2,600 deaths and 330,000 injuries in the United States. Because data on cell phone use is somewhat limited, the actual numbers of deaths and injuries may be much higher. Strayer and his colleagues have found that even hands-free cell phone use distracts drivers. They explain that the drivers are looking but they're not really seeing because they are distracted by the conversation they are engaged in.

According to this study, scientists found that motorists talking on cell phones while driving are less adept than drunk drivers with blood alcohol levels beyond the legal limit of .08. The cell phone users' impaired reactions involved seconds, not just fractions of seconds, so stopping distances increased by car-lengths, not feet."

see: Helping us to Drive Safely - Stop Texting While Driving - Cell Phones Becoming Common Road Hazard

Even the Mythbusters showed the problem of driving and the cell phone in Episode 33.

I'm sure someone would say driving while using a cell phones but I think the studies have proven it isn't true.

kc0iv

Mr. Ford95 02-01-2010 12:59 PM

Kranky, train engineers are not supposed to be on a cellphone in anyway while on duty and as Hobo said, it's been that way for a while.

Windwalker 02-01-2010 02:55 PM

It simply said that safety has not improved in areas where cellphone use is banned. It said that either cellphone use is not as hazardous as stated, OR people are continuing to use them in spite of the ban.

cdswans 02-03-2010 01:05 PM

Me? Distracted? C'mon!

Caught on Tape: Truck Destroys Footbridge | WNCT

Mr. Ford95 02-03-2010 09:30 PM

Wind, I would say it's the 2nd choice, they are still being used anyways. I see it enough during the day around here where cellphone use isn't totally banned that would lead one to believe it is as dangerous as someone who is legally drunk. I had one this morning in front of me on a cellphone that swerved into a right turn only lane then swerved right back out of it and stood on the brakes even though the vehicles in front were still moving at their original pace. He would not get within 500 ft of them without standing on the brakes and we were doing 35 at the time. Went to get on the interstate and a cop was sitting there with a car in the median, same guy about drove into the median on the ramp craning his head to look while still on the phone. Soon as he got on the interstate, zoomed to the left lane and was hammer down and still yapping away on the phone.

Windwalker 02-09-2010 02:22 AM

I do have a question about how this law is worded. I have not seen it myself, and would like to know.

Does the law specifically state "Cellphones", or does it say "HANDHELD ELECTRONIC DEVICES"?

I believe you will agree that the wording is very important. If it says "HAND-HELD DEVICES", that would include your CB mic, the tape recorder that you might be using to record state lines, etc.

Just how big a door did they open for themselves?