Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Rules and Regulations and DAC, Oh My (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my-16/)
-   -   New rule goes into effect 1/30/09 (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my/36517-new-rule-goes-into-effect-1-30-09-a.html)

Uturn2001 12-19-2008 04:31 PM

New rule goes into effect 1/30/09

As of January 30, 2009 you will have to show proof to your state that you are medically qualified to have a CDL even though you may not be working as a CDL driver at that time.

Final Rule: Medical Certification Requirements as part of CDL Part of the CDL

Skywalker 12-20-2008 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uturn2001 (Post 429599)
As of January 30, 2009 you will have to show proof to your state that you are medically qualified to have a CDL even though you may not be working as a CDL driver at that time.

Final Rule: Medical Certification Requirements as part of CDL Part of the CDL

I had to do that the last time I renewed my CDL in FL....over a year ago.

Rev.Vassago 12-20-2008 03:03 AM

I've had to do that in Wisconsin for at least the past 10 years.

BigDiesel 12-20-2008 03:17 AM

Oregon past 9 years......................

Uturn2001 12-20-2008 03:51 AM

I know that there are several states that have required this for a long time, but there are also many that don't.

While I can somewhat understand the thinking behind it, I am concerned that it could wind up causing a lot of problems for drivers. What happens to drivers who are temporarily medically unqualified? Are they going to have their CDL's yanked and then in a few months, a year, or two when they are able to drive again are they going to have to take a state road test once more and go through the headaches of trying to get a vehicle to do it in since many/most states do not provide them.

ronjon619 12-20-2008 04:23 AM

A few of our mechanics have CDL's and they have to renew their MED card every two years.

Orangetxguy 12-21-2008 12:02 AM

Showed the Med-Certificate in WA the last two renewals there, and when I changed over to TX in 05, had to show one from a TX Doc.

TomB985 12-21-2008 12:47 AM

Never have had to in OH, and I think it's a lousy idea!

I have plans of leaving this industry within the next year or so, however I do NOT want to give up my CDL! Now, it seems that either I give it up, or pay for a DOT physical every two years....ridiculous!:pissedoff:

golfhobo 12-21-2008 09:25 PM

I see no problem with this ruling. ALL CDL holders are required to have a current medical card. If one stays out of the business long enough for his medical card to expire, it is only natural to produce one before renewing a CDL license. If you want to go back to a class c licence, fine. Maintaining a CDL license, when not using it, is pointless anyways. If, after a long delay, one chooses to go back to driving, he will HAVE to have a medical certificate, AND will have to retake the written tests anyway. I didn't see where it was necessary to retake the road test in a CMV, but that wouldn't surprise or bother me either! A CDL is not a "college degree." It's not, nor should it be, good for life. Either stay in the business, and stay current in all ways, or prove your way back into it.

If you can't prove medical fitness, CMV knowledge, or ability to drive, you have no business getting a "free pass" to drive a CMV on my roads.

TomB985 12-22-2008 12:30 AM

Ah, but Hobo...there IS no "free pass"!!! That CDL is USELESS without a medical card. However, a 30 minute trip to a doc will get you a DOT card if ya need one...however it takes WEEKS and THOUSANDS to get another CDL.

Yes...I do certainly have a problem with it!!!:hellno::hellno::hellno: