If a driver has had his CDL suspended due to child support issues and
then it is reinstated will most companies still have a problem with hiring
him?
Old 12-04-2006, 01:53 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Can't answer your question, but why would someone let their means of a living go for something as important as taking care of one's children?
Old 12-04-2006, 02:12 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: License Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by toostep
If a driver has had his CDL suspended due to child support issues and
then it is reinstated will most companies still have a problem with hiring
him?
I wouldn't think so (he might have a problem going to Canada though)
we have drivers with suspended licenses and reinstated and they still work for us. Companies are usually concerned with moving violations.
I would not sweat it
I can ask tomorrow at work to confirm, but I am pretty sure he is ok!
Old 12-04-2006, 03:27 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerlin
Can't answer your question, but why would someone let their means of a living go for something as important as taking care of one's children?
I have never had my CDL suspended, but I can tell you it does not take much to get into hot water regarding child support, been there done that. So I would not be to quick to judge toostep as a dead beat dad, as your comment suggests.

I could write a book on what I went through with the Friend of the Court, the threats of jail combined with outright extortion. I fell 6 months into arrears back in 1990, no thanks to my ex. This is all it took to get the ball rolling, that up until recently has finally stopped, as I can only hope. I have paid that six months back a thousand fold, boy they got me good. The money that I paid out over the years was incredible to say the least. I have all the records, which mean nothing then and now. I have been consistant for all of these years, except for those six months.

And I was always the bad guy. My last big payment was $50,000.00 just a couple of years ago. And I still had not seen my daughter in over 13 years! You think for 50 grand I could see my child? And I had full visitation, no restrictions! The x-wife and the Court had their way, with me and my money.

My family and I spent well over $70,000 in the courts on attorney fees alone, the whole thing was cooked from the get go. If any are familiar with the Wayne County Courts in Detroit, you can back me up. The State of Michigan finally stepped in and put a stop to it all, thank GOD! The corruption was incredible, millions of dollars missing, and many lives destroyed.

Well, I finally got to see her, and it cost me another $5000.00 for braces! What was her mother doing with all of the money! The poor girl has no idea what her mother put me, my wife and her grandparents through. The sad part is, she looks down on us, she has to much of her mother in her. Maybe in a few more years things will heal.

So watch it when you go slamming us dead beats, there is usually a hell of allot more to the story.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justruckin
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerlin
I have never had my CDL suspended, but I can tell you it does not take much to get into hot water regarding child support, been there done that. So I would not be to quick to judge toostep as a dead beat dad, as your comment suggests.

I could write a book on what I went through with the Friend of the Court, the threats of jail combined with outright extortion. I fell 6 months into arrears back in 1990, no thanks to my ex. This is all it took to get the ball rolling, that up until recently has finally stopped, as I can only hope. I have paid that six months back a thousand fold, boy they got me good. The money that I paid out over the years was incredible to say the least. I have all the records, which mean nothing then and now. I have been consistant for all of these years, except for those six months.

And I was always the bad guy. My last big payment was $50,000.00 just a couple of years ago. And I still had not seen my daughter in over 13 years! You think for 50 grand I could see my child? And I had full visitation, no restrictions! The x-wife and the Court had their way, with me and my money.

My family and I spent well over $70,000 in the courts on attorney fees alone, the whole thing was cooked from the get go. If any are familiar with the Wayne County Courts in Detroit, you can back me up. The State of Michigan finally stepped in and put a stop to it all, thank GOD! The corruption was incredible, millions of dollars missing, and many lives destroyed.

Well, I finally got to see her, and it cost me another $5000.00 for braces! What was her mother doing with all of the money! The poor girl has no idea what her mother put me, my wife and her grandparents through. The sad part is, she looks down on us, she has to much of her mother in her. Maybe in a few more years things will heal.

So watch it when you go slamming us dead beats, there is usually a hell of allot more to the story.
I'll second that.

The one-size-fits-all "system" as it stands now is a corrupt, broken, one-sided beauracratic (sp?) mess.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Put me in that list as well. When my daughter was born, her mother would not accept any child support from me. Four years later, the state said that I was now 4 years in arrears, plus the cost of the birth and the healthcare she received up until that time.

It's been 13 years now and I'm still paying that off, plus paying monthly child support and healthcare on her.

So don't call everyone a deadbeat dad just because they didn't start paying child support the second the child was born.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:36 PM
Board Regular
Default I just asked

And that won't be a problem for you
Old 12-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Dancing with the bright Pixies at University of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justruckin

I could write a book on what I went through with the Friend of the Court, the threats of jail combined with outright extortion. I fell 6 months into arrears back in 1990, no thanks to my ex. You think for 50 grand I could see my child? And I had full visitation, no restrictions! The x-wife and the Court had their way, with me and my money. Maybe in a few more years things will heal.

All too familiar story here too mate...
As you have, Ive been there, done that, got the t-shirt...
Frigging stinks it does :x

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Old 12-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Rookie

In NE, yrs ago, they had a volunteer system, you came in on your own to
pay the child support, in '02 they changed it to a system where they would garnish
your wages for the support. I fell 3yrs behind under the old system because
I had started living with my ex for all those yrs, though we did not remarry, we separated again, I was then red flagged under the new system.

What hurt me was I jumped around quite a bit trying to find a company that would keep me busy enough to pay the support, bad idea. Every time I
changed companies, I got further behind, I became fed up with how things
were going, so I stopped driving, and started to look for work in another field. That put me in hot water with the state, and so they suspended my CDL. My job hopping didn't solve my problems, it created new ones. I worked hard to get that CDL, and to lose
it because of my bad choices really stung. The court wants to see me about
setting up some payment plan, I hope at that time I can work something out to get my CDL reinstated, so that I can become employed quicker, instead of doing what I'm doing now, looking for work, with a bad job history. :sad:
Old 12-05-2006, 01:32 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by toostep
In NE, yrs ago, they had a volunteer system, you came in on your own to
pay the child support, in '02 they changed it to a system where they would garnish
your wages for the support. I fell 3yrs behind under the old system because
I had started living with my ex for all those yrs, though we did not remarry, we separated again, I was then red flagged under the new system.

What hurt me was I jumped around quite a bit trying to find a company that would keep me busy enough to pay the support, bad idea. Every time I
changed companies, I got further behind, I became fed up with how things
were going, so I stopped driving, and started to look for work in another field. That put me in hot water with the state, and so they suspended my CDL. My job hopping didn't solve my problems, it created new ones. I worked hard to get that CDL, and to lose
it because of my bad choices really stung. The court wants to see me about
setting up some payment plan, I hope at that time I can work something out to get my CDL reinstated, so that I can become employed quicker, instead of doing what I'm doing now, looking for work, with a bad job history. :sad:
TOOSTEP: I posted above, but it wasn't very clear that it was to you, I was in a hurry posting at work (didn't want to get fired). But he lady @ work said you would not have any problems as long as your licences are ok now! Many would not hold that against you. I do believe you need to stay away from Canada though, which our company gives you that option to say upfront you don't want to go!
I would say you are pretty safe if we say it is ok! Although we bend the rules every now and then!