User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2008, 03:31 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I wonder if doing a U-Turn with a bobtail is ok. U-turn with a full size trailer takes some skill, and is also a bit risky, because you can't see it once you're in the turn. But bobtail.. it's like driving a car. In any case, maybe you can convince the court that you had no option other than to do a u-turn
Old 03-03-2008, 01:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordial98
I watched a guy drive right into my trailer tires.
I was coming out of a place where I had to do a hard hook to the right, so I needed to be all the way up against the left curb, facing the wrong way against the ENTER ONLY arrow.

I was watching to my left for traffic coming down, and to my right for traffic stopped at the light, to make sure I didn't pull out into someone in my blind spot. Somewhere between looking here and there, I lost a green SUV who went right in front of me in my blind spot, and decided to turn, and try to drive through my trailer to avoid stopping at the red light.

She realized she had nowhere to go (duh) but didn't have enough sense to back up, honk her horn, anything. Eventually I was clear to my left and right, and I pulled out. A glimpse of blonde hair out of the corner of my eye got my attention, and I saw her standing up as she got out of her SUV, which was rocked back on the left rear wheel, from where my trailer was about to flip it over.

My company's insurance agent got a kick out of this one. I didn't get the ticket.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:59 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by line_transporter
I wonder if doing a U-Turn with a bobtail is ok. U-turn with a full size trailer takes some skill, and is also a bit risky, because you can't see it once you're in the turn. But bobtail.. it's like driving a car. In any case, maybe you can convince the court that you had no option other than to do a u-turn
WHAT???? Look out your left window! You'll see everything from the DOT bumper to the reefer unit! :shock: :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Rookie

Use common sense when doing U-turns, however, they are not illegal, unless posted. FIGHT THAT DAMN TICKET. Just because a cop gives you a ticket and says your at fault doesn't mean it's so.

I had a woman rear-end me once. The cop gave me a ticket for no-turn signal (even though I wasn't turning), and said the accident was my fault. I went to the prosecutor and it took me an entire 20 seconds to convince her the ticket was BS, and to drop it. Then the state sent me a letter saying the accident wasn't my fault.

A MUST WHEN DRIVING A TRUCK - Always carry a disposable camera with you for accidents. As soon as you use it, go buy another.

I got two tickets the other day, one for being in the left lane, the other for expired plates. The expired plate ticket was BS. Anyhow, all I did was place a phone call to the county traffic prosecutor, he agreed with me on the bogus plate ticket. I told him I would be happy to pay the license plate ticket, if he would drop the left lane violation (which was a moving violation). He however, informed me, that he would place both tickets on deferral, and so long as I didn't get any more tickets in that county for six months, they would be dropped forever. He even said he understood the job we have to do, and that we gotta keep moving to make money.

Not everyone hates truckers. Not everyone wants to take you down. Not every state thinks that rest areas are a place for DOT officers to inspect truckers, like Ohio.

Now quit crying and FIGHT THAT TICKET!!!
Old 07-27-2008, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlco
At TMC any u-turn, ticketed or not, is a termination offense.
As it is with "most companies".

Really, so like when i turned my tender trailer around on a couty road in a intersection because i missed my turn is banned by many companies? I personally dont find a U-Turn as such to be very dangerous, unless you have a bit of traffic. The road was open to i just whipped it around and continued back one mile... I'm quite sure when i swing too wide and have to back up a bit to swing the tractors nose away from the curb is a shit ton more dangerous than that u-turn...