Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Quick Books (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/45153-quick-books.html)

GMAN 02-06-2015 02:13 AM

Quick Books

I recently posted about another accounting program for truckers. I know some have been using Quick Books to run their trucking business. So, I thought it would be good to look at other software. I looked at Quick Books at one time. I did a search and did not find as much information on the program as I had hoped. I would like to see what those who have used the program have to say about the software and if they might tell us more about the program and how it is working in your business. I know some have used the Quick Books Pro. I believe it can be customized, at least to a point. If you have used Quick Books Pro perhaps you could share some of the pros and cons of the software.

firebird_1252 02-06-2015 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 533450)
I recently posted about another accounting program for truckers. I know some have been using Quick Books to run their trucking business. So, I thought it would be good to look at other software. I looked at Quick Books at one time. I did a search and did not find as much information on the program as I had hoped. I would like to see what those who have used the program have to say about the software and if they might tell us more about the program and how it is working in your business. I know some have used the Quick Books Pro. I believe it can be customized, at least to a point. If you have used Quick Books Pro perhaps you could share some of the pros and cons of the software.

i use quickbooks and i love it. the best part is how easy it is for you and the accountant. with a few clicks the accountant has the quarterly statements. they donthave much for trucking per say, however, but you can add into the catagorys. another thing that i like a lot is that is that you can keep track to everything invoices to what goes in and out of your account by the penny. they also have many graphs to show almost anything. they also have something that you can download your bankstatment right into quick books for your in and out money, same goes for some credit cards. i really like the program a lot. they have something for the mobile app for your smart phone too but i'm too paranoid to try it for the fear if someone breaks into my phone. another thing, the invoicing is next to none. you can make your invoices any way you'd like. custom or from the templates they got.

now i do not use the payroll feature.. yet. my parents do and i do know that you need to activate it and its for a fee. i'm sure there is a lot i'm leaving out.. been a very long week. any questions.. feel free to ask i'l try my best to answer.

GMAN 02-06-2015 12:36 PM

I read somewhere that you could download your bank statements to Quickbooks. I believe my bank offers that download ability. I can see how that would be a good feature. It could save time. Quickbooks is more readily available and I know some accountants do use the program. I can see that as useful. What about keeping up with maintenance and other records we must maintain in this business? Can you set up a maintenance file to be compliant with the fmcsa or do you need to handle that with a spreadsheet or some other method? Another question I have is being able to separate business and personal accounting information. I own a corporation so it is important that I keep personal records and corporate files separate. I understand that some people will mix their personal and business records when they own a sole proprietorship. I am not sure how that would work. I like being able to keep personal and corporate or business files separate. Is there a way to do that with Quickbooks, or do you have a different way to keep personal tax information?

firebird_1252 02-07-2015 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 533458)
I read somewhere that you could download your bank statements to Quickbooks. I believe my bank offers that download ability. I can see how that would be a good feature. It could save time. Quickbooks is more readily available and I know some accountants do use the program. I can see that as useful. What about keeping up with maintenance and other records we must maintain in this business? Can you set up a maintenance file to be compliant with the fmcsa or do you need to handle that with a spreadsheet or some other method? Another question I have is being able to separate business and personal accounting information. I own a corporation so it is important that I keep personal records and corporate files separate. I understand that some people will mix their personal and business records when they own a sole proprietorship. I am not sure how that would work. I like being able to keep personal and corporate or business files separate. Is there a way to do that with Quickbooks, or do you have a different way to keep personal tax information?

that is the downside with the maintenance. i do it in my own way. i set up the trucks with a rand mcnally gps. they have 2 different mile settings that i use. example: maintenance 1. is my oil changes. maintenance 2. is what i use to run my overhead. i also use the "neat" program. scans all my recipts in and that'll break down into different categories. (that program you can also DL into quick books). as far as personal i guess you could open a personal account as well as a separate account. actually the more i think there is a calendar that i never looked into maybe you can something with that.

OriginalBigFoot 02-08-2015 08:58 PM

Quickbooks doesn't even come close to Axon software. I would bet that 95% of truckers trash Quickbooks after being confused out of their minds. Axon on the other hand is designed for trucking.

GMAN 02-09-2015 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebird_1252 (Post 533475)
that is the downside with the maintenance. i do it in my own way. i set up the trucks with a rand mcnally gps. they have 2 different mile settings that i use. example: maintenance 1. is my oil changes. maintenance 2. is what i use to run my overhead. i also use the "neat" program. scans all my recipts in and that'll break down into different categories. (that program you can also DL into quick books). as far as personal i guess you could open a personal account as well as a separate account. actually the more i think there is a calendar that i never looked into maybe you can something with that.

I can customize my maintenance reports. I can set it up to show me what I spend on pm's, tires, etc., Parts and repairs are all included in maintenance. With my software, I can key in the repairs and then check a box to include it in my maintenance report. I can also show it as for a particular trailer or specific truck. I can print out a maintenance report by the piece of equipment and at any time. I used to do all that with a spreadsheet. It is much easier and neater the way I do it now.

I went to the Quickbooks website. I had hoped to find more information on the program, such as how various reports could be compiled, etc., It would be helpful to know how things can be separated into the program. I am not familiar with the "neat" program. I like keeping my business banking separate from my personal. It is also much better if you ever get audited. I keep everything separate in my business. But, I also operate under a corporate structure, so it is more critical in my situation.

GMAN 02-09-2015 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalBigFoot (Post 533491)
Quickbooks doesn't even come close to Axon software. I would bet that 95% of truckers trash Quickbooks after being confused out of their minds. Axon on the other hand is designed for trucking.

What is the cost of the Axon program? I looked at it and it seems like you need to buy different modules. I didn't see any costs on their website.

OriginalBigFoot 02-09-2015 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 533495)
What is the cost of the Axon program? I looked at it and it seems like you need to buy different modules. I didn't see any costs on their website.

I don't know, I got it with laptop e-logs from a company I worked for. It must be expensive, but if I were an O/O, I would pay whatever the cost because it's an investment. There are other trucking specific software programs out there and even the most basic of them will save you money because of all the trucking features. Quickbooks, Neat, or any of these other generic programs and too time consuming to use for a trucker...

merrick4 02-09-2015 01:48 AM

We've always used QuickBooks and that's all I would ever use. Definitely can separate personal from business. I haven't used it myself (I have a full time bookkeeper) in a while but you can track maintenance. I remember there was a section where you could separate things by class (each class could be a unit number).

We also used QuickBooks online or Intuit on line payroll which was great but when we switched to the employee leasing company we had to stop. Also you can always send portable files to your accountant.

mndriver 02-09-2015 02:31 AM

A bit of time to learn basic accounting and Business management principles and quicken home & business or QuickBooks. It took me little time to set up my accounts or my chart of accounts (called categories) in H&B.

OriginalBigFoot 02-09-2015 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrick4 (Post 533497)
We've always used QuickBooks and that's all I would ever use...

Great! It does IFTA fuel taxes too? How about fuel card downloads? And what about freight weight tables? Or the two dozen other trucking specific time saving functions?? Keywords there are in bold. I have tried Quickbooks and I have Neat receipts (for scanning). Neither even come close to Axon! If you compared the two, you would never use Quickbooks again!
Quote:

. I haven't used it myself (I have a full time bookkeeper) in a while but you can track maintenance. I remember there was a section where you could separate things by class (each class could be a unit number).
I wonder how much that book keeper costs per year! :cool:

mndriver 02-09-2015 03:05 AM

Trucking specific?

What is so special about trucking than any other service industry? IFTA?

A work center is a work center. Employees are employees. Like trucking is really special.

OriginalBigFoot 02-09-2015 03:09 AM

Whatever... One thing I've found about the trucking business is everyone has an opinion with zero experience. I have said my peace, I'm not going to defend it for the sake of an argument. Quickbooks is like a bottom of the line Garmin, compared to Axon, the Rand Mcnally TND... use whatever you want!

mndriver 02-09-2015 03:18 AM

There are also the issues of working g with your accountant. A program does you little good if you have to pay data entry wages to your accountant because of edi issues. And since most accountants are familiar with quicken (intuit) or Peachtree products, it would lend itself to be more beneficial.

A premium price tag does not a premium product make.

OriginalBigFoot 02-09-2015 03:26 AM

It exports to Quickbooks, like most other accounting programs...

GMAN 02-09-2015 12:06 PM

I have looked at a number of different trucking specific software programs. Some of them are rather complex to use and expensive. The more expensive programs are designed for larger carriers rather than the small operator. I can also see a longer learning curve. I still like my Trucknpro program for the trucking industry, especially for the cost. You can begin using it immediately after downloading. It would be good if I could download my banking data into the program. The downside to using the program would be in being able to electronically download date for your CPA. However, you could give your accountant a copy of the program or print out various reports. I can print out reports on most everything related to my business.

I think the primary advantage to using any trucking software rather than a standard accounting program is the compliance issues. Depending on the program, most will help you track maintenance, drivers, etc., files to remain compliant with the fmcsa. Were it not for the compliance issues, I think Quickbooks would work well and many accountants already have Quickbooks or Quicken on their computers. I would like to check out Quickbooks, but I don't know that I would want to buy it without seeing more of what it will do. I think there are pros and cons to using any program. I would not want to spend thousands of dollars on software to run my business. I did that before and was not happy with the results. The best programs are the simplest and easiest to use. If a program gets too complicated, people won't use them.

I like a program that is complete rather than having to purchase different modules to get what I want. I would not want to go back to using a spreadsheet. I did that for a number of years. It worked, but was not as efficient as the program I currently use. Whether you use a trucking specific program or standard accounting program, you will still need to find a way to track certain things in the business in order to stay compliant. From some of your posts, those using Quickbooks can set up a maintenance catagory in the chart of accounts or use a spreadsheet to track maintenance? I suppose that technically, all that is needed is to show the equipment and anything that has been done. For instance, if my truck number is 100 and I buy tires and have a breakdown, I could show the expense under Quickbooks. But, is there a way to show exactly what repairs were made for a maintenance report?

mndriver 02-09-2015 12:13 PM

I was told by our dot auditor when I had my new carrier audit that he wants to see a hardcopy of the work completed. Simple comments, date, mileage and work done. Even when next service is planned. Having electronic copies of it all, he wouldn't look at it. Just old school that way. Either process is dot compliant. Just one is more complicated. So I stuck with paper notebook.

One thing I've come to appreciate since getting my own authority, K.I.S.S. and the simpler, the better. Quicken home&business let's me manage both the business side and the home side as a one-truck operation. I am hard pressed to find something easier in that case.

Should I ever expand and have employees and multiple trucks, I would look into something more powerful and task-minded.

GMAN 02-09-2015 12:30 PM

I keep a hard copy, too. With my current software, I can scan a copy of the invoice and/or work order into the program, assign it to a specific piece of equipment and then print it out any time it is needed. I have had this feature for a while on a previous version of Trucknpro, but have not used it. I plan on doing it this year, mainly as a backup. If I lose a receipt, I can just print out a hard copy, if needed. I could print out a copy for the fmcsa or IRS. In my case, it is also easy to do my IFTA. Having a program where everything is together makes it much easier for me rather than to have to do it with a spreadsheet. Before I started using this program, I used a spreadsheet to do my IFTA. Every quarter I had to check tax tables to make sure it was current. It took time to go through the process. My state has gone to online filing, so I no longer need to do all the state calculations. I just print out a copy of my IFTA state miles and key in the miles and gallons into the state filing program. It does the calculations automatically. I then print out a copy that I can sign and mail to the state. Without having a program specifically to do IFTA, I think you would need to use a spreadsheet or do it manually.

Some DOT people are becoming more accepting of electronic files. I had to have a over size permit redone a couple of years ago. I had a problem with my internet signal, so I was unable to print out a hard copy. I was stopped and inspected in Texas. Of course, he wanted to see my permit. I explained the situation and was finally able to pull up my electronic copy from the internet. He was happy with the emailed permit. I did not have to print a hard copy. I am personally not as comfortable with only having an electronic record. It is too easy for something to happen to destroy the data. But, it seems to be the way we are heading. As long as I can still have a hard copy, I can live with it. There is an advantage to being able to scan fuel receipts. Several years ago, some of the major truck stops went to thermal printers for fuel receipts. Those tend to fade if you lay them in the window where they can be exposed to sunlight. They will also fade within a short time unless you make a photocopy. If you scan them, you will be able to print out a hard copy any time. I wish these truck stops would go back to the larger fuel receipts.

mndriver 02-09-2015 12:34 PM

I can scan any receipt I want I to quicken and attach it to the transaction. For the bigger repairs I do. The washes, oil changes etc, I don't. Mainly because all of that information is data bits and requires lots of storage space. Even as a PDF image.

GMAN 02-09-2015 12:49 PM

It is good you can scan receipts into Quickbooks. I think we will see most accounting programs moving into that direction. I would not consider truck washes as part of maintenance. But, pm's are part of maintenance. I know most maintenance reports that I have seen do track pm's. I track grease jobs, pm's, etc., When I go to my expenses, I can attach it to a specific load or as a free standing expense. If I attach it to a specific piece of equipment and check the maintenance box, it will keep those records with that equipment so I can print it out as needed. I don't know how much disk space it will use, since I have not been scanning in my receipts until this year. But, I have a lot of unused disk space and the software is only limited by the amount of disk space. I could scan in the receipts and save it or back it up on a zip drive. I had not thought about the amount of disk space until now.

mndriver 02-09-2015 01:12 PM

Do not get me wrong. My maintenance reports, I track PM's. As well as fuel filter changes.

I do not scan in the receipt though and attach it to the ledger transactions in quicken. That is something entirely different.

GMAN 02-10-2015 02:01 AM

I probably break down my maintenance expenses down more than some people. It isn't really necessary to break costs down as much as I do, but it provides more information to me as to where I am spending money on maintenance.

mndriver 02-10-2015 02:11 AM

Tried to upload my chart of accounts. I based it off the tax categories for schedule c. My maintenance is broke down into 7 subcategories; parts, service, reefer, tires, tools, wash.

Don't see much need past that. I have contemplated making one for trailer too to break out reefer and trailer box separately. Parts is parts I buy and do the work. Service is work others do for me.

GMAN 02-10-2015 12:24 PM

I am sorry that you were unable to upload your chart of accounts. It sounds like you have the basic accounting issues covered, mndriver. For me it is good to breakdown some of my maintenance expenses, as I stated earlier. I can see that it might be more difficult to do the compliant things, such as fuel taxes using Quickbooks. I don't know if you do LTL freight, but can you do that with Quickbooks? If you do billing, can the program provide an aging list? Are there things you would like to be able to do with Quickbooks that the program cannot currently do?

mndriver 02-11-2015 04:11 AM

Quicken home and business is what I use. Can't really say there's anything I'd like it to do that it doesn't already do. IFTA has little to do with my accounting other than a credit or debit in the fuel category. Applying it to individual loads seems pointless.

GMAN 02-11-2015 12:07 PM

I key in my IFTA information on each load using my Trucknpro program. It is one of the features you can use or not use. It is much faster than doing in a spreadsheet like I did at one time. Although I do the IFTA for each load, I don't print out a report until the end of the quarter. At one time I did more closely track my IFTA gallons and miles so I could reduce my costs. If you know what you are spending it is easier to know how to cut costs. My program doesn't do the actual calculations. I don't really need that feature since my state uses electronic filings. In my situation I like having everything together. It helps me to keep everything up to date without having to access a different program. As long as I have kept everything up to date, all I need to do is print out an IFTA report and I have all my gallons and miles by state. Before when I used a spreadsheet, I had to spend time doing all the calculations and then printing the totals. I save time by having the IFTA and accounting in the same software.

I recall when I first looked at Quickbooks Pro that it could be customized according to the type of business. I did not see anything about trucking. That was the main reason I did not purchase Quickbooks several years ago. I would like to be able to import my banking information into the software. So far, that isn't available. I think it is difficult to find everything one wants in one program. If Trucknpro could work with Quickbooks so I could import my banking information, it would have everything that I can think I would need. But, being able to import my banking information is not mandatory.

I assume you can print out a profit and loss and balance sheet at any time with Quickbooks? Does the program offer a way to set up depreciation?

mndriver 02-12-2015 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalBigFoot (Post 533491)

And costs $1500 a month for two years then $500 a month

Its also targeted to 10+ truck operations

GMAN 02-13-2015 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mndriver (Post 533563)
And costs $1500 a month for two years then $500 a month

Its also targeted to 10+ truck operations

That is a little pricey, even for 10 trucks. I still like having software you can pay for once and forget about it. I would not want to "rent" software to run my business. I have looked at a couple of programs where they require you to pay a monthly fee and use their online service. I guess I am a little old fashioned, but I would rather keep all my records on my own computer where I feel that I have more control over what happens with it.

mndriver 02-13-2015 12:47 AM

Oh, he seemed to get a bit butthurt that people weren't jumping on the bandwagon for the software so I kind of got curious about it. I am all too familiar with business software like that and the costs associated with it. I used to go in and set up companies with manufacturing resource planning software. Stuff for managing manufacturing companies. Mainly smaller shops. Amazed at the price and bloat that some companies put into packages. Seems the KISS principles are lost on some people.

mndriver 02-13-2015 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 533539)
I key in my IFTA information on each load using my Trucknpro program. It is one of the features you can use or not use. It is much faster than doing in a spreadsheet like I did at one time. Although I do the IFTA for each load, I don't print out a report until the end of the quarter. At one time I did more closely track my IFTA gallons and miles so I could reduce my costs. If you know what you are spending it is easier to know how to cut costs. My program doesn't do the actual calculations. I don't really need that feature since my state uses electronic filings. In my situation I like having everything together. It helps me to keep everything up to date without having to access a different program. As long as I have kept everything up to date, all I need to do is print out an IFTA report and I have all my gallons and miles by state. Before when I used a spreadsheet, I had to spend time doing all the calculations and then printing the totals. I save time by having the IFTA and accounting in the same software.

I recall when I first looked at Quickbooks Pro that it could be customized according to the type of business. I did not see anything about trucking. That was the main reason I did not purchase Quickbooks several years ago. I would like to be able to import my banking information into the software. So far, that isn't available. I think it is difficult to find everything one wants in one program. If Trucknpro could work with Quickbooks so I could import my banking information, it would have everything that I can think I would need. But, being able to import my banking information is not mandatory.

I assume you can print out a profit and loss and balance sheet at any time with Quickbooks? Does the program offer a way to set up depreciation?

I don't use QuickBooks. I use a quicken product called Home&Business. Is combines all the features of home and business into one software. Really designed for sole proprietor type businesses. And yes, I have all the business reports I can use just like in QuickBooks or many others. Lots of features I don't use too.
Home & Business Finance Software - QuickenŽ Home & Business 2015

GMAN 02-13-2015 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mndriver (Post 533573)
Oh, he seemed to get a bit butthurt that people weren't jumping on the bandwagon for the software so I kind of got curious about it. I am all too familiar with business software like that and the costs associated with it. I used to go in and set up companies with manufacturing resource planning software. Stuff for managing manufacturing companies. Mainly smaller shops. Amazed at the price and bloat that some companies put into packages. Seems the KISS principles are lost on some people.

I have looked at some of the more expensive trucking software programs at the trade shows. Several years ago I looked at one in Dallas that cost about $2,000 and that has been several years. This was before I got my first Trucknpro program. At the time I may have purchased Easy Trucking (the first trucking program that I bought). I think I was mostly using a spreadsheet for my IFTA, payroll, etc., I could not see the benefit of paying that much for software to run my business.

GMAN 02-13-2015 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mndriver (Post 533574)
I don't use QuickBooks. I use a quicken product called Home&Business. Is combines all the features of home and business into one software. Really designed for sole proprietor type businesses. And yes, I have all the business reports I can use just like in QuickBooks or many others. Lots of features I don't use too.
Home & Business Finance Software - QuickenŽ Home & Business 2015

I misunderstood what you were using. I thought you were using Quickbooks. I did buy Quicken at one time. I liked the program, but you are right about it primarily being for personal finances or a sole proprietorship. I felt that it would not work well for me with my business model. It might work for my personal finances. I think that Quicken and Quickbooks are made by the same company? I think that if I were not using Trucknpro Biz Manager I might consider buying Quickbooks Pro. Until I got Trucknpro, I had to keep some files separate. I like having everything in the same program. There are a few things that I would like to see in the program, but it has most everything that I want in a trucking specific program. Although I like this version of Trucknpro, I would still like to look at Quickbooks Pro. I have know a couple of owners who have used Quickbooks. I think they like the program for the most part. It comes down to what you need and want. At one time there were a number of trucking specific programs on the market. Most of the ones I was once familiar are now gone. Trucknpro, Truckers Helper and Easy Trucking are the only programs that I am familiar with that are still around for the smaller fleet or owner operator. I think Truckers Helper and Easy Trucking limit the trucks to 100. There is no limit on the Trucknpro program. I don't know how you would operate multiple trucks with Quickbooks. I believe Quickbooks and Quicken can both be exported to do taxes and you can import bank records into both of them. Perhaps someone familiar with them could comment on those features. Those would be nice features and could save time when tax time is here.

firebird_1252 02-14-2015 07:46 PM

gman you def. have a aging list. trust me.. i use it often.

mndriver 02-14-2015 07:56 PM

Quicken let's me import bank stuff as well as export into tax software when I want.

It has all the business reports I can use as well. Comparison reports as well as spending by categories and accounts. It let's me create jobs and projects as well if I want to.

I guess I'm not really sure what the shortcoming are. If I want to, I can run payroll etc. It's done everything I've wanted it to and everything I could ask QuickBooks to do.

GMAN 02-14-2015 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebird_1252 (Post 533600)
gman you def. have a aging list. trust me.. i use it often.

That is good to know, firebird. I thought it would probably have an aging feature. Do you use Quickbooks or Quickbooks Pro?

firebird_1252 02-14-2015 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 533606)
That is good to know, firebird. I thought it would probably have an aging feature. Do you use Quickbooks or Quickbooks Pro?

pro. it actually has a reminder of how many invoices are aging. i think its after 15 days? the best way to describe it is its like using a mac computer. so easy its hard.

mndriver 02-14-2015 11:00 PM

Home&Business has a report that let's me pull it up 6 ways to Sunday. Intuit makes both the quicken and QuickBooks product. And then you have turbotax from them too.

GMAN 02-14-2015 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mndriver (Post 533601)
Quicken let's me import bank stuff as well as export into tax software when I want.

It has all the business reports I can use as well. Comparison reports as well as spending by categories and accounts. It let's me create jobs and projects as well if I want to.

I guess I'm not really sure what the shortcoming are. If I want to, I can run payroll etc. It's done everything I've wanted it to and everything I could ask QuickBooks to do.

Any accounting program will keep the books up to date. I think the shortcoming for me would be the lack of specific reports for maintenance reports and some of the compliance features I have with the Trucknpro Biz Manager. Some of the features I like are probably not all that important for the single truck operator, such as the driver files where I can scan and maintain everything on a driver. It also has a way for the software to notify me if the drivers CDL or medical cards are close to expiring. If you have drivers you don't want them driving your equipment with an expired medical card of CDL. When you have multiple trucks it is also important to stay on top of pm's and other maintenance issues. I can set up my software to notify me when I need to do those things. If you only own and operate a single truck and do the driving yourself, it may not be as important. But, when you have multiple trucks it becomes more of a concern.

Over the years the one feature I have use more than any other is the broker file. I had it with the Easy Trucking, but I didn't like it as well as the Truckknpro. Now, you may also be able to do something similar with Quicken or Quickbooks. I am not as familiar with those program features. What I did early on was to keep a file of brokers, shippers, etc., The file allowed me to make notes and have all contact information in each record. I could make notes about rates, lanes, etc., It really helped me when I was going to an area where I was not normally running. I could also call ahead to speak to the broker or shipper to see if they could find me something when I got unloaded. It really helped me on a number of occasions to find a load coming out of a bad area. I also make notes on brokers or shippers whom I don't want to do business. I also made notes about payment history. That is a very important feature for me.

You could set up your own database in a spreadsheet or database, but it is convenient the way I have it set up. Years ago I kept a file card system (3" x 5" or 4" x 6"). I like the electronic way better.

mndriver 02-14-2015 11:09 PM

You are talking best management and compliance issues. Something I see totally and completely different than financial management.

GMAN 02-15-2015 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mndriver (Post 533610)
You are talking best management and compliance issues. Something I see totally and completely different than financial management.

You are correct. I see them as being interrelated. I can see why you would like Quicken. I could probably operate my business using Quicken if I had a sole proprietorship or was leased to another carrier as long as I only wanted to keep basic accounting figures. Using my current program I can quickly see my costs and profit broken down automatically without having to take an extra step of getting out the calculator. In my situation, it helps me make better decisions concerning those with whom I do business and I can go back to previous loads that I have hauled for a particular broker or look at a specific lane and see what type of rates I have gotten during previous times. I like having quick access to the extra information.

I looked at Quicken several years ago and decided it wasn't quite what I was looking for in my business. At the time I was already using Easy Trucking and Trucknpro simultaneously. That was interesting using two different programs at the same time. I thought it would be a good way to compare the two so I could see which worked best for me. I may have only had the Quicken basic program. I don't remember buying the premium edition. It did seem like a simple program. Those are usually good since most people refuse to use a program that is too complicated. Do you use it for personal as well as business? Can you use both parts together?