Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   How much motive for contracting directly with the shipper (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/43371-how-much-motive-contracting-directly-shipper.html)

Scottt 12-05-2012 05:06 PM

MD it's all about Service and building a relationship with the broker. Not all brokers are out to get you. If you give them good service they will be be calling you. When they start calling you to take a load you have the advantage and can bump the rate up.

It doesn't matter if they are making 10% or 50% on the load. If you can't haul it and make money don't take the load.

Roadhog 12-05-2012 10:10 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVxnqVVhR-8

Bigmon 12-06-2012 01:51 PM

NY vs Merrill Lynch.....the customer can do business with whoever they want.

Even if the shipper wanted to spend the money to go to court it takes months and sometimes years. The good thing is your business liability insurance would pay to defend you and pay if you lose.

CA vs Dominelli. Dominelli's insurance paid $5 miilion to settle claims and he ran a ponzi scheme, not a trucker getting an extra measly 10-20% of a freight bill. The claim was paid by Farmers Insurance. I also worked for them at the time.

Either way....the OP can do what he wants. I am just giving him another perspective.

chris1 12-06-2012 03:30 PM

Neither are back solicitation cases,still would like to have the docket# to read.

freebirdrfd 12-08-2012 12:02 AM

Right or wrong, it's a dog eat dog industry.

repete 12-08-2012 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichiganDriver (Post 520143)
Also, what is your opinion on the ethics questions?

You should talk to someone like Obama on that oh never mind he has no clue:)( Like how I did that ? DIG DIG)
Ethics ?? If its not forbidden in your contract (read all of them)the GO FOR IT! What the he11 ya waiting for man! You got bills to pay too.
I take a jab or two at ya every now and then, after all your a lib. But that dosn't mean I don't want you to do good.
I'm a company driver, I drive an OTR truck for an OTR company BUT I've hauled the same stuff from the same place to my home town now for five years. Most nights it could fit in a 6 wheel truck legally. Why do you think the shipper pays (and they do PAY) for more truck than needed? Some of it's the company I work for but some of it's me. I make sure it's there on time, If I might not make the window I call them and tell them so they can sleep in. if I break down I MAKE SURE THE LOAD IS T-CALLED I do not leave that to night dispatch! I unload the product and stage it for the local guys. SERVICE IS THE KEY!! You need to show a shipper how you can do the job BETTER then others for the SAME cost. Don't try to get into a bidding war by undercutting someone. If they ship with the cheapest guy they can find you won't have them long.
Start calling and calling and calling. Stop by with a dozen doughnuts and your card, When I had the body shop I loved free shizit!
See this is what a CAPITALIST would do, so you've got a lot to learn! :)

MichiganDriver 12-08-2012 02:29 AM

What the heck has gotten into you guys? Y'all are turning this into an interesting thread. :)

The other day while driving down the road this thread popped into my head and it occurred to me that if I had said "how much incentive" instead of "how much motive" the thread would have had a slightly different spin. It's funny how some words conjure up side-effect meanings. The word motive is usually used in conjunction with a crime. Incentive on the other hand is benign.

A side note - nothing is ever cut and dried. CH Robinson, who I've done a lot of loads for, has a customer that pays well but I have never done one of there loads. Contractually I don't think I'm forbidden from trying to steal the account, but ethics are messier. The only way I know about the existence of the account is through casual conversations with CHR employees. I think they would have no more to do with me if I managed to snag it.

Back to my extremely poorly worded first post though. I'm really wondering how much benefit is gained from the monumental effort of trying to sell directly to the shipper. (I HATE SALES!!! I'D RATHER DO DRYWALL FOR A LIVING!!!). But if my cut is let's say 30% less thanks to broker involvement, I could try to be an adult and do what I hate for the sake of the business.

Roadhog 12-08-2012 08:59 AM

Don't let these guys fool you MD.
Most of them have a woman, who are the brains. :)

MichiganDriver 12-08-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog (Post 520531)

lol And so true! :)

repete 12-09-2012 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog (Post 520531)

Who told?