Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Understanding HOS... (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/41084-understanding-hos.html)

sjmay 03-25-2011 05:46 AM

Understanding HOS...

Hey guys,

Just want to make sure I understand the HOS properly, gonna set up an example, as that's how I learn best.

Trucker A takes a load from Toronto to Chicago on June 1st

522 miles, at 60 mph, is just about 9 hours driving, assuming no delays,

On June 2nd, Trucker A drops off the load, and then drives to Joliet to pick up a load on June 3rd.

Joliet - Dallas is 906 miles and takes just over 15 hours, so June 3rd/June 4th are driving, he drops off June 4th pm, he then drives from Dallas to Austin, TX to pick up for June 5th am, 200 miles away, a little over 3 hours.

He picks up a load in Austin to take to St. Louis on June 5th am, which is just under 14 hours and 800 miles away, he has to drop the load by end of day June 7th to be legal?

If so, he would then need a 34 hour restart to drive correct?

And yes, I know the stars would have to be aligned perfectly to get loads that evenly spaced out, I am just testing my knowledge of the HOS.

Thanks

repete 03-25-2011 08:48 AM

Did driver A do pretrips how about fueling,load or unload? You left that stuff out, there's more to it than just driveing. Log as you drive it and drive it legal

Orangetxguy 03-25-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete (Post 495884)
Did driver A do pretrips how about fueling,load or unload? You left that stuff out, there's more to it than just driveing. Log as you drive it and drive it legal

LOL.... Lot's of stuff was left out for certain!! Of course.....the driver might have a boat load of luck and can clear Customs in record time! Both directions!

rank 03-25-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjmay (Post 495882)
he has to drop the load by end of day June 7th to be legal?
If so, he would then need a 34 hour restart to drive correct?

I didn't add up the driving hours but it doesn't seem like he's out of driving driving time. And you didn't mention how much on duty not driving he did, so we'll assume the minimum pre trips and stuff. So basically, yeah, he'll run up against his 7 day limit. 168 hrs from whatever time he went on duty at the start of his cycle June 1st.

And don't forget after 14 hours he needs to take 10 hours off.

Malaki86 03-25-2011 04:05 PM

I never have understood HOS... They charge for what I give away...

sjmay 03-25-2011 04:12 PM

Is it safe to look at HOS like this then?

14 hour day driving or not,
11 hour day strictly driving
60 hours on duty in 7 days can't drive after that
70 hours on duty in 8 days consecutive,

So in a 7 day cycle, there are 2 banks of hours, one total duty time, one driving time, 98 hours total on duty, 60 hours driving, and after 14 hours on duty you must have 10 hours off duty, no matter what?

Orangetxguy 03-25-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjmay (Post 495907)
Is it safe to look at HOS like this then?

14 hour day driving or not,
11 hour day strictly driving
60 hours on duty in 7 days can't drive after that
70 hours on duty in 8 days consecutive,

So in a 7 day cycle, there are 2 banks of hours, one total duty time, one driving time, 98 hours total on duty, 60 hours driving, and after 14 hours on duty you must have 10 hours off duty, no matter what?

There are not many companies that work under the 60/7 log rules. In fact....I do not know any that have since 1986.

You have 70 hours available in an 8 day period. Usually those hours are used up by day 6, unless a driver is shot full of luck....or cheating on the paper log. No driver can cheat the e-Log. Well....not very much anyway.

Have you been to "Driver School"?? Do you have any training in logs at all??

MichiganDriver 03-25-2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 495916)
There are not many companies that work under the 60/7 log rules. In fact....I do not know any that have since 1986.

You have 70 hours available in an 8 day period. Usually those hours are used up by day 6, unless a driver is shot full of luck....or cheating on the paper log. No driver can cheat the e-Log. Well....not very much anyway.

What he said!

Btw, this is one time where the gov's website is very clear.

Hours-of-Service Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Edit: Actually, rereading the gov's website, the 11-Hour Driving Limit and 14-Hour Limit sections (in the chart at the bottom) are imho extremely clear. The 60/70-Hour On-Duty Limit section not so much, just go by what the Orange man said, he has a habit of being right. My take on the Sleeper Berth Provision is forgetaboutit. You need 10 hours in the sleeper birth and trying to get creative and splitting it into an 8 hour and 2 hour segment accomplishes nothing for all practical purposes anyway. Think 10 hours in the sleeper and you're good to go.

sjmay 03-26-2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 495916)

I am assuming that is 70 total hours, driving/not driving etc, right?

And no, haven't been to driver school / or have any training in logs, just doing some research for now....

ronjon619 03-26-2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjmay (Post 495926)
I am assuming that is 70 total hours, driving/not driving etc, right?

yeah line 3 DRIVING and line 4 ON DUTY NOT DRIVING

rank 03-26-2011 01:34 AM

Canadian HOS.aspx

Above is a quick link to Canadian HOS....7 day cycle. I noticed his first run was in Canada....if he happened to be in Canada after day 7, he would have to shut down for 36 hrs starting on day 8.

sjmay 03-26-2011 01:59 AM

Hey Rank,

That is very helpful as well, I am assuming that Canadian/American doesn't matter, if you are in Canada, you have to follow their HOS rules, along with FMSCA rules etc, they are very similar though so...

Orangetxguy 03-26-2011 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjmay (Post 495931)
Hey Rank,

That is very helpful as well, I am assuming that Canadian/American doesn't matter, if you are in Canada, you have to follow their HOS rules, along with FMSCA rules etc, they are very similar though so...

If you were to drive in Canada, assuming that Canadian regulations mirror American regulations....You would be very wrong indeed, and could find yourself talking with MDOT and writing them Comcheks to pay your fines.

The first and most important aspect of crossing into Canada,is having done a 36 hour reset, before heading to Canada. A 34 hour reset here in the States does not count up there...only the 24 hour period that you had while doing the American reset, counts for anything. Canadian HOS regulations give you 2 extra hours driving each day......and 3 hours of extra "time". HOS regulations are different for each region of Canada as well. The "Southern Tier" provinces (Canada Main) have one set of regulations, while the "Northern Tier" provinces and the "Maritime" provinces (Canada North) are on a different set.

Canada has a longer set of "total hours worked" (285?), before a full reset is necessary, but Canada requires a 24 hour off duty period once each 7 day period. As an American, MDOT will look at you harder than they will a Canadian driver....simply because of the "Cowboy Mentality" associated with the "American Trucker". If your truck is equipped with Qualcomm or Peoplenet, you are less likely to get a full inspection than a driver running a comic book.

When in Canada, follow MDOT regulations. When in the States, follow the FMCSA regulations....never try and work under both. Just make certain you are legal before you cross the border, which ever direction you are going.

rank 03-26-2011 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 495934)
...... and could find yourself talking with MDOT and writing them Comcheks to pay your fines.

The first and most important aspect of crossing into Canada,is having done a 36 hour reset, before heading to Canada. A 34 hour reset here in the States does not count up there............... MDOT will look at you harder than they will a Canadian driver....simply because of the "Cowboy Mentality" associated with the "American Trucker".

That brings back a memory Orange.

Last winter I was talking to this US trucker couple at the Husky TS (km 632 hwy 401 in ON). He had been put OOS for not recording logging the change in time zones correctly. Plus they fined him for not having hazmat placards (he was carrying batteries to Montreal). Rather than spend the 36 hours at the scale, the wife drove the truck and trailer to the Husky. His dispatch sent another truck in to deliver the load. Then his fuel gelled up.

So they are in a foreign country with no load, not likely to get paid much of anything, fined, OOS and with a gelled up truck. And the only reason they took their first Canadian load in the first place was it paid well and they really needed the money. I felt so bad I bought them breakfast.

sjmay 03-26-2011 03:16 AM

That is great information, appreciate it Orange...

sjmay 03-26-2011 03:18 AM

Ouch Rank, that kinda hurts,

I do have a question though, with changes in time zones, how is that recorded?

GMAN 03-26-2011 03:46 AM

Canada and the U.S. are similar in many ways, but if you are American and cross the border you need to remember that you are in a foreign country. The rules are a bit different. I have always had a positive experience in Canada. But, I was always respectful of them and always left a tip in U.S. dollars. I am not sure that would make much difference these days with the current exchange rate. Just make sure you note in your log book when you cross the border either way, if you travel into Canada.

Malaki86 03-26-2011 08:46 AM

You sure it's 24hrs off in 7 days in CA? I've always been under the impression it was 24hrs off in 14 days - so has my dispatcher. If it's 7/24, I've been there illegally a few times.

Steel Horse Cowboy 03-26-2011 01:59 PM

The safest bet is figure all your drivers are putting in a 14hr day EVERTYDAY, because the majority of the time they do. SO every 5 days, he will need a 34 reset. DONE and DONE.....simple as that.

Now I know this won't help you too much, since you won't take my comment to heart..... figure on the best note that he is getting up, doing a PTI, then at some point getting fuel, then doing a post trip and driving his total 11hrs non-stop, then he will have 12hrs in a day roughly. Now if he goes to a shipper and picks-up, crosses a boarder or delivers, then it could be well more than 14hrs that day... hence why I just figure 14hrs each day.

Steel Horse Cowboy 03-26-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjmay (Post 495939)
Ouch Rank, that kinda hurts,

I do have a question though, with changes in time zones, how is that recorded?

You always log acording to your HOME TERMINAL location. So if you are on eastern time at your home terminal location, then your log-book should always show EST for everything. NEVER CHANGE TIME ZONES!!!!! Unless you want a HUGE fine and get put OOS for 34hrs minimum

Orangetxguy 03-26-2011 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 495949)
You sure it's 24hrs off in 7 days in CA? I've always been under the impression it was 24hrs off in 14 days - so has my dispatcher. If it's 7/24, I've been there illegally a few times.

You're right...It is one "mandatory" 24 hour period, off duty, each 14 days.

That's okay though.....I will stickto the 24 hoursa off in 7 days. Kepp my butt outta trouble!

classictruckman 03-26-2011 07:16 PM

I thought it was 7/24 and 14/48 in Canada depending on whether you were on a 7 or 14 day cycle.

Malaki86 03-26-2011 10:00 PM

I just looked at the rules that Celadon posted for us: it's a 14day/24hr off, 36hr restart (not 34).

Quote:

1. You must have 24 continuous hours off-duty at least once in every 14 days. Teams too. US no requirement to ever take a day off.
2. You must have 10 hours in off-duty, or sleeper, or combination of off-duty and sleeper none can be shorter than 30 minutes in duration every day. that is Log day. (Midnight to midnight for most drivers) US does not require this. This is a Daily requirement.
3. A new 16 hour elapse timer between 8 hours periods. Add Driving and On-Duty not driving between two eight hours shift, and the total can not be more than 16 hours. US no requirement for elapsed time between shifts.
4. You must have the last 14 days plus today log with you for inspection. The US only requires 7 plus today. This is to check the 24 hours off-duty requirement in # 1.
5. You must have a copy of all receipts, to verify your log. ie. you fueled and you scaled your load. You must have the fuel receipt and scale ticket. Without which, you can be fined and placed out of service up 72 hours. US no receipts are required for the driver, just the motor carrier.
6. Required to have in your possession the applicable schedule(s) of inspection items and shall provide the schedules on demand of an inspector. DDVIR have a new layout and information that must be entered. US DDVIR have no standards, up to the Motor Carrier

RostyC 03-27-2011 09:19 AM

I'm an outlaw trucker. My HOS are from the time I get up until I feel like stopping. I blow by the scales while giving them the finger too.

HeeeeHAWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!

:lol::lol:

sjmay 03-27-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RostyC (Post 496003)
I'm an outlaw trucker. My HOS are from the time I get up until I feel like stopping. I blow by the scales while giving them the finger too.

HeeeeHAWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a song lol

Roadhog 03-27-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RostyC (Post 496003)

HeeeeHAWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2.../loudlaugh.gif .... I've learned that only works if you drive solo.
Dogs are the first to notice what you are doing. Can't fool them. ... http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...nd10/shrug.gif

wrongwayTommy 03-27-2011 12:36 PM

i do not know about canada,but what I do is spend 11 hrs a day with my hands on the wheel max,and 14 hours on duty including those 11 driving hours and then I show a 10 hr sleeper break and start over untill I get to the weekly max hours
70 hours/8 days

of course some weeks I do not work quite that many hours and some weeks I work over those hours
but I always find a way to look legal on paper